• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Xbox Reveal Set For May 21, 10:00 A.M. PST, Livestreamed

Status
Not open for further replies.

p3tran

Banned
Ohh the rumor talk again..

The way I see it, microsoft console dept. goes like this:

-offer better hardware
-offer better services
-steal their games (but also create good ones)

It has worked out for them, and I dont see it changing, my 2c's.

Go on to rumor mill and imaginery specs war, but this was supposed to be a hype thread ;)

Duallusion

I figured this is the perfect time to learn making
crappy
GIFs:)

ibxcK8gWxvNPoA.gif

The point I'm making is that leaks are inaccurate, as you've shown.

Not really, the only "point" you're making is that inaccurate leaks = Sony changing the specs (your exact words)...which was dumb. Don't backtrack now. You tried to make the hilarious argument that "see that's proof specs change!" and it really wasn't. It was proof that the person got some parts wrong...like 32bit processors in 2011...

OK, unnecessary patronisation aside, please point out where exactly I'm going wrong...
Yeah, exactly. Microsoft knew about this way before anyone on here did. Are you missing the point? I think you're missing the point. Yep.

I think it is you who is missing the point, which is clear with this post and...

Haha sure, you can find them here.

This one.

I'll help you out though, you can't find any specs (which is why you did the lolol google it angle) because none exist. MS only signed contracts with ATI and IBM until late 2003, thus the only hardware that exists...is 360 derp. From 2001-2003 they went around to: Nvidia, Intel, AMD, IBM, ATi talking to each one of them to see what who would help them build their dream platform that is Xbox 360. Jeff Andrews narrowed down their choices between 3 separate designs, Intel/Nvidia. Intel/ATi, IBM/ATi (you can find this information on page 161 of Dean Takehashi's Xbox Uncloaked). That he then gave to Bill Gates who read over it during his Think Week. Bill suggested they go with IBM/ATi. Negotiations with ATi were breaking down because MS wanted to own the IP for the chip and ATi didn't want to do that. So in the mean time Xenon team went back to Nvidia and spoke with them, but ultimately because they were currently in aribiration nothing ever came of their meeting. MS started making headway with ATi after convincing them that while they may be the most wealthy company in the US, the XBox team was on their own and wanted to do this on their own with MS' deep pockets. MS ended up choosing IBM over Intel's Tejas because the latter was way too hot. And IBM already had a capable processor in form of Cell's PPC. As of spring 2003 ATi's Santa Clara team started working on Xenos' design, despite the fact a contract had not been officially signed for either ATi or IBM. MS signed contracts with both companies and then they began earnest work on the specifications. In mid 2004 MS had started sending off for fabrication samples (coincidentally the same time leaks appeared on the interwebs). (Again, Dean Takehashi's Xbox Uncloaked, pages 285-314, chapter 17)

The reason you can't find the specs of the "other" design was because it NEVER got past the concept stage. Seriously read the book people, it's all explained in layman's terms. The reason detailed specifications and diagrams existed in 2004 for Xbox 360 was because MS had settled on that hardware toward the end of 2003. There was no other fully realized hardware alternative, none, zip nada that's some myth Xbox fans started creating to rationalize the kitchen sink specs they've seen on pastebin. And even then MS was scrambling for time to make it for their projected 2005 launch, MS knew that in order to meet their 2005 launch they had to start work by 2003.

MS spent a year alone working on parring the software with the hardware and getting XBL2.0 up and running on the hardware. So this hilarious notion you keep pushing that MS has all the time in the world is ridiculous. If MS wants to beat Sony to the punch then no, they don't have all the time in the world. If MS wants to release within the same time frame as Sony, then no they don't have all the time in the world. If MS wants to pull a Sony and release months later, they can do that....it'd be the dumbest move MS would ever make, but they can do that. Will that? No.

We're still a little early for production. More likely to be later in Q2 or Q3 at the latest. And yes, Microsoft has a very real advantage. They are a ridiculously large corporation compared to Sony and have considerably more resources to pull of changes like this. And you missed my point earlier clearly, but the reason Microsoft hasn't announced anything yet is simply because they want to be able to have the option to delay the next Xbox if necessary. How can you delay something that hasn't been announced? Well, pretty easily, actually. The fact that they're shipping this year spells confidence. And if you can't see that, well, I don't know what else I can say, really. They're not going to willingly ship a dud. All they care about is increasing shareholder wealth. If they can't do that successfully, they wouldn't even bother.

MS would never allow Sony to launch before them. And you're absolutely right, MS cares about increasing shareholder wealth, you know how you increase shareholder wealth? Make sure you're spending the least amount of money possible in R&D while maximizing profits. MS doesn't need an all powerful platform to make shareholders happy, MS needs a platform that dominates the market to make shareholders happy. The average gamer (As in the unargauble bulk who buy consoles) doesn't care that Xbox is 1.2TFLOPs, they don't even know what it means. Does it have XBL? Can they watch Netflix? Does it have COD/HALO/GEARS/Madden? Bought.

The hardcore Xbox fan is going to buy the system regardless. It's like politics, GOP doesn't need to cater to the far right republicans, they're going to vote republican regardless of what you focus on. Sony didn't sell 150m+ PS2s by catering to the hardcore only. MS didn't sell 77m Xbox 360s by catering to the hardcore only. They got those numbers by focusing on everyone else, and that group won't give a damn in the small difference in specs between PS4 and XBox.

KAL2006

Banned
Just realised that I can watch this on Tuesday after I come back from work. Not really hyped for it but a new console reveal is always interesting. At the moment PS4 seems to be the console I am going to get so this is gonna be more like a reassurance watch, so the conference will be like this for me

Kinect, check
Gold sub, check
Weaker than PS4, check
Cod Ghosts, nice gonna play that on PS4

Interesting post someone made on B3D:

"If I were MS the goal for me would be to make the console weaker than the PS4. The weaker it is, as long as it is well designed, the more pricing flexibility I should have. The key is balance. If it is obvious to average consumers that it is weaker, then it can negatively affect sales. If it is weaker but it is difficult for consumers to tell, you now have the advantage because of pricing flexibility. "

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1736009&postcount=3079

It makes sense really.

MasLegio

Banned
Just realised that I can watch this on Tuesday after I come back from work. Not really hyped for it but a new console reveal is always interesting. At the moment PS4 seems to be the console I am going to get so this is gonna be more like a reassurance watch, so the conference will be like this for me

Kinect, check
Gold sub, check
Weaker than PS4, check

you will probably have to wait until 2014 to check off the last one

Imagine my surprise.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I think it is you who is missing the point, which is clear with this post and...

This one.

I'll help you out though, you can't find any specs (which is why you did the lolol google it angle) because none exist.
Good thing you called him out on the "google.com" link and then specifically cited the numbers in the Takehashi book.

I'm won't be surprised if there won't be a reply now, as the level of evidence that needs to be presented to continue the argument was increased by a lot. If it now goes back to conjecture and hand-waving it can be immediately dismissed.

Interesting post someone made on B3D:

"If I were MS the goal for me would be to make the console weaker than the PS4. The weaker it is, as long as it is well designed, the more pricing flexibility I should have. The key is balance. If it is obvious to average consumers that it is weaker, then it can negatively affect sales. If it is weaker but it is difficult for consumers to tell, you now have the advantage because of pricing flexibility. "

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1736009&postcount=3079

It makes sense really.

Well yeah he has a point. To your average buyer, even if he looks at the specs, it's 8gb RAM vs 8gb of some other RAM.

derFeef

Kinect, check
Gold sub, check
Weaker than PS4, check

disgusted-clint-eastwood.gif

At the moment I'm getting a PS4 too!... because I don't even know what the Xbox is named yet let alone games they'll have at launch.

Don't make sense man.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
well from 21st onwards ms is gonna be doing what they do best, very very strong but simple marketing and making everyone know. this is one thing ms does alot better than sony.

Gemüsepizza;58118284 said:
So you think CoD: Ghosts, a game from Activision which brought Destiny to the PS4, will be exclusive to Xbox 3 for 1 year?

So you think that the length of time between November 2013 and the year 2014 is 1 year?

So you think CoD: Ghosts, a game from Activision which brought Destiny to the PS4, will be exclusive to Xbox 3 for 1 year?

Not that I agree, but Destiny is their new big IP. I'm sure Acti have seen CoD sales decline and clearly aren't putting all their eggs in just that basket any more. So with that in mind, it wouldn't be all that surprising if they accepted a handsome sum from MS to make the first next gen version exclusive.

Very unlikely though, but next gen install bases this year will be relatively small, so certain exclusives that might otherwise not be possible suddenly become ever so slightly more realistic.

iMax

Not really, the only "point" you're making is that inaccurate leaks = Sony changing the specs (your exact words)...which was dumb. Don't backtr... bla bla bla

Oh dear, I haven't got the energy for this. Read my posts again because you're somehow missing all the points.

stryke

Not really, the only "point" you're making is that inaccurate leaks = Sony changing the specs (your exact words)...which was dumb. Don't backtrack now. You tried to make the hilarious argument that "see that's proof specs change!" and it really wasn't. It was proof that the person got some parts wrong...like 32bit processors in 2011...

This one.

I'll help you out though, you can't find any specs (which is why you did the lolol google it angle) because none exist.

Wow, gonna need some aloe vera.

So you think that the length of time between November 2013 and the year 2014 is 1 year?

CoD: Ghosts will most likely be a launch title. But my point still stands, Activision does seem to have a multiplatform strategy. And I don't think that you want to go exclusive for a certain time when you have such strong competition like Battlefield 4. This could damage the CoD IP enormously.

p3tran

Banned
So you think CoD: Ghosts, a game from Activision who brought Destiny to the PS4, will be exclusive to Xbox 3 for 1 year?
So, you think destiny will be at ps4 day 1?
;pPp

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/l6oljr/next-xbox-the-countdown-to-xbox
Watch this gametrailers ad for Tuesday. It also says, that on the aftershow, Geoff sits down with Don and gets hands on.

Hnnng.

Perhaps I've set my hopes/expectations too low. I wasn't expecting much from this reveal and now we learn there might he hands on...

HNNNG

Gemüsepizza;58118482 said:
CoD: Ghosts will most likely be a launch title. But my point still stands, Activision does seem to have a multiplatform strategy. And I don't think that you want to go exclusive when you have such strong competition like Battlefield 4. This could damage the CoD IP enormously.

I don't see how. The vast majority of sales will be on current gen consoles, it possibly being exclusive to one next gen console this year would cause a few meltdowns across forums, but won't impact the IP at all.

Gemüsepizza;58118482 said:
CoD: Ghosts will most likely be a launch title. But my point still stands, Activision does seem to have a multiplatform strategy. And I don't think that you want to go exclusive when you have such strong competition like Battlefield 4. This could damage the CoD IP enormously.

I don't necessarily agree that CoD will be platform exclusive for any length of time. Xbox will be it's lead platform regardless.

I was only pointing out the inconsistency of your post, vis that it could theoretically be exclusive for a few months and still end up not getting on PS4 til 2014. I personally doubt it, but you never know.

Also to say it would damage the CoD IP enormously is hyperbolic at best when the consoles aren't even out yet.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Kinect, check
Gold sub, check
Weaker than PS4, check
ibwqfX6qlA063C.gif

Thanks for sharing your opinion, 'KAL2006'!

Feindflug

Kinect, check
Gold sub, check
Weaker than PS4, check

english517du2p.gif

ekim

Hnnng.

Perhaps I've set my hopes/expectations too low. I wasn't expecting much from this reveal and now we learn there might he hands on...

HNNNG

I don't see how. The vast majority of sales will be on current gen consoles, it possibly being exclusive to one next gen console this year would cause a few meltdowns across forums, but won't impact the IP at all.

Yeah. I think it would be a large plus if we see games actually running on the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom