• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Battery for today:
9h35 minutes
33% left
4G & Wifi mix
Screen Time: 1h40minutes
55 minutes with no cell signal though

Here's mine. Add 15 minutes to screen on time and 30 minutes to uptime, because I restarted the phone in the morning after breakfast, and the stats here only cover the post-restart.

Screenshot_2013-11-06-19-26-42_zps38d66bc9.png

Screenshot_2013-11-06-19-27-11_zps8ecd43f5.png

Screenshot_2013-11-06-19-26-55_zpsded27034.png

4G only. Google Now and syncing all turned on. I have nothing turned off in services. I do adjust screen brightness manually, though. The auto setting is clearly broken.

Chris R

How do I view hidden folders on this in Windows? What shows up under internal storage isn't what the phone shows locally...

nico1982

I received mine today. It is really a nice package overall. Battery has gone down from 70% to 20% after 5 hours, 3.5 of them being screen time.

I'm a bit disappointed by the screen. There's a stark brightness shift, especially across the shorter side of the screen. It is more noticeable to the left. By comparison the Nexus 7 is much more consistent. Colors are fine at all angles though. The low auto brightness doesn't help, I guess.

jokkir

Battery for today:
9h35 minutes
33% left
4G & Wifi mix
Screen Time: 1h40minutes
55 minutes with no cell signal though

Here's mine. Add 15 minutes to screen on time and 30 minutes to uptime, because I restarted the phone in the morning after breakfast, and the stats here only cover the post-restart.

4G only. Google Now and syncing all turned on. I have nothing turned off in services. I do adjust screen brightness manually, though. The auto setting is clearly broken.

Why are these two totally different results. First one seems bad but the second one seems good.

EDIT - Got the quotes mixed around

Why are these two totally different results. First one seems bad but the second one seems good.

Umm...he had better results than me though? I assume, you mean mine is bad since I posted first even though you quoted it second?

Big one for mine is 55 minutes spent with no signal I think. I also have push notifications for my exchange email account, not sure what effect it has. Also, the guest wifi at work is not strong in all areas, I believe that can have a negative effect if it drops/reconnects/keeps trying to find better signal.

Also, I have it on full brightness all the time. He also had no voice calls, I have 30 minute of voice call time. Also have bluetooth turned on so connect with car.

I will post battery results everyday. This Friday, I should be home all day which means no signal drops.

Umm...he had better results than me though? I assume, you mean mine is bad since I posted first even though you quoted it second?

Big one for mine is 55 minutes spent with no signal I think. I also have push notifications for my exchange email account, not sure what effect it has. Also, the guest wifi at work is not strong in all areas, I believe that can have a negative effect if it drops/reconnects/keeps trying to find better signal.

Also, I have it on full brightness all the time. He also had no voice calls, I have 30 minute of voice call time. Also have bluetooth turned on so connect with car.

I will post battery results everyday. This Friday, I should be home all day which means no signal drops.

Full brightness? There's your battery suck. How can you tolerate the screen at max, it's like a flashlight!

Shambles

Man, you're preaching to the choir. The auto on this phone is so, so bad.

I just assume it's an android problem. The auto is useless on my N4 as well. It's too dim in bright light, and too bright when it's dark. I always manually change it which for me basically means I turn it to minimum when I go to bed, full when I wake up, and halfway when the sun is down in the evening.

hitsugi

I usually leave my phone at around 40-50% brightness and it's more than bright enough for me - especially with the N5. The only time I need more is if I'm under direct sunlight

jokkir

Auto is just way too sensitive and doesn't make use of the lowest possible brightness. Like if you use it in a completely dark room and manually change it to the lowest brightness, you'll notice the brightness can go lower.

Same with using the phone outside. You can drop the brightness a few dials and it will still be usable.

kinn

Wait, is this true?

I'm sitting at 1hr and 35minutes screen on time using LTE-only, with 8 hours and 19 min uptime and 73% battery remaining.

This utterly destroys the Nexus 4's battery life.

:bow: Snapdragon 800.

Wow. Im getting like just over 2 hours screen time at the moment with 20% left. Whats your secret!? lol

Coming from a S3 it used to display H or H+ sometimes depending on the signal/connection. N5 doesnt? All ive seen so far is just the H.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Wait, is this true?

Well it's technically not broken, just with the settings google programmed, they think everyone is blind as shit.

If you manually scroll across the brightness, it goes like:

5% --> 10% --> 20% --> 80% --> 85% --> 90% --> 95% --> Max

So auto at like 25% is still bright as hell.

I have mine manually set at somewhere around 20%, just before it goes blinding. I plan to leave it there permanently, no need for auto.

xtop

Decent battery life you guys are posting. Does no one use JuiceDefender or am I just super old school? I mostly just hate wakelocks and having the connection running constantly.

Then again I also undervolt/underclock and go crazy with governors. I might be a tad insane.

i can't seem to find the link now, but i don't think undervolting/underclocking is actually saving you much battery life

TMobile won't activate my phone with the $30 plan... the website errors out with:

"We’re sorry, we’re still working to process your activation. Please wait a few moments and then try navigating to another web page. You should receive a text message to your device when your activation is processed."

So, I called the number, and they claimed only Walmart can activate that plan. A bunch of you guys did this without Walmart involvement, right?

wario

TMobile won't activate my phone with the $30 plan... the website errors out with:

"We’re sorry, we’re still working to process your activation. Please wait a few moments and then try navigating to another web page. You should receive a text message to your device when your activation is processed."

So, I called the number, and they claimed only Walmart can activate that plan. A bunch of you guys did this without Walmart involvement, right?

yeah, walmart isn't necessary to activate. i bought my sim card and activated it online through the t-mobile website.

maybe it's the phone imei number? try activating with a different phone and just swap the sim card into the nexus 5 once it's activated.

I was able to call them and activate with no problem. Probably just a dbag rep on the line.

I just explained I got the error on the website and wanted to call to make sure for that plan.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Should be receiving mine tomorrow. Do all the new Google Now features play nice with a third party launcher like Nova?

Well now that people have their Nexus 5 phones in their hands, how is the volume for music/calling using stock Android? Is it better than the Nexus 4 because that phone had horrendous max volume.

Well now that people have their Nexus 5 phones in their hands, how is the volume for music/calling using stock Android? Is it better than the Nexus 4 because that phone had horrendous max volume.

A LOT better than N4. I can hear my music in the shower now! Also had a 2 hour phone call with a client on speaker and it was great.

yeah, walmart isn't necessary to activate. i bought my sim card and activated it online through the t-mobile website.

maybe it's the phone imei number? try activating with a different phone and just swap the sim card into the nexus 5 once it's activated.

The trouble is that I'm coming from Verizon. I do not have another phone to activate.

Exokell

Banned
the speakers arent as good as my old mono htc one x. That beats shit really made a difference lol.

I've been using the plan for a couple years but years ago when I set it up I just called tmobile and created it after getting my sim and then yesterday I called them to activate the new sim and withing 30 mins everything was ready to go.

I can't imagine it's the IMEI since all us other T-Mobile have been telling them the IMEI to get LTE.

I have a question, is there a way to have multiple keyboard layouts for different languages with the stock android keyboard? My old phone had it but not sure if stock android does.

kinn

Well it's technically not broken, just with the settings google programmed, they think everyone is blind as shit.

If you manually scroll across the brightness, it goes like:

5% --> 10% --> 20% --> 80% --> 85% --> 90% --> 95% --> Max

So auto at like 25% is still bright as hell.

I have mine manually set at somewhere around 20%, just before it goes blinding. I plan to leave it there permanently, no need for auto.

Ah ok. Thanks for the info!

Hopefully google fixes this.

this_guy

It could be the sim card you bought. Some sim cards bought on Amazon or eBay for whatever reason won't work in the $30 plan.

*edit - never mind saw that you got it working.

Is there no way to send photos in google hangout?

Edit: Nvm, apparently you can't add pictures after you start typing but can add typing after a picture. What a crappy interface.

I bought the Sim card directly from T-Mobile. It was an issue with the area code. I got the tip from XDA, tried a different one and it worked.

Rootbeer

Banned
Mine arrived at 2pm, but couldn't set it up till now (I work nights). Looking closely for dead pixels, think I lucked out. Updating it now... this is exciting :3

Wag

Mine shipped. My first experience with smart phone so I have no idea how to even set it up once it arrives.

Joco

Hey guys, dumb question but do you have to condition the battery with this phone?

I'm wondering the same thing, this is my first phone with a non-removable battery so I'm a bit concerned about it. I charged it to full capacity before I did anything else with it (is that the right thing to do?) but would like to know what else I should do to condition the battery if necessary.

Top Bottom