• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

dubq

Possible to just use the bumper and not the ugly back?

I don't think so. The bumper basically holds the other piece in place, I believe.

Apparently this one is really thin though and isn't as great for damage protection. This is the one I ordered, in all-black, instead:

61VNUnWQH5L._AA1500_.jpg

SimleuqiR

Stock launcher for now, and perhaps permanently.

I really love the look of KitKat. And this coming from someone who switched to Nova Launcher about a week after getting my Nexus 4 last year.

I miss the Stark icon pack. :-/
I also miss having folder within the app drawer. Though remembering what "folder" I used for a particular app sometimes slow me down in finding said app.
But I can easily start typing an app name and launch it from search. So i'm sticking with the stock launcher for now.

I want Google to eventually sort things for me on the home pages and app drawer...ala Gmail tabs.

injurai

Banned
I really doubt that. N7 is only possible cause it's LTE only and Verizon has to be open about LTE. Throw CDMA into the mix and making a new model with Verizon bands, and yeah... very doubtful.

CDMA is seriously awful for the consumer. I really hope there is some mandate to phase it out... Likely not though.

I pretty much feel trapped on Verizon due to family plans. In fact I feel pretty jaded by the entirety of Verizon's offerings right now.

Just got mine. Actually it's not mine, it's a gift for someone who is currently overseas.

Should I test it out? I wouldn't want to send this gift and it turns out it's defective...

Actually I'm just looking for an excuse to play with it

Wish my T-Mobile SIM would get here already so I can start the number porting process.

Probably will be out of a phone for a day.

For all of its clunky oldness, this is a big reason why I love Google Voice so much.

You never have to worry about porting your number when you switch carriers. It's awesome.

For all of its clunky oldness, this is a big reason why I love Google Voice so much.

You never have to worry about porting your number when you switch carriers. It's awesome.

Can you make calls on normal network though? Data coverage feels to spotty on me to rely on that as my only method of receiving calls.

Can you make calls on normal network though? Data coverage feels to spotty on me to rely on that as my only method of receiving calls.

Yeah, that's how its voice calls function. It's not VOIP; it's a relay service.

That said, VOIP is being implemented as GV transitions into Hangouts. (The iOS Hangouts app can already make VOIP calls, much to our collective annoyance.)

DrunkHippie

Neo Member
Last update on my package. Suppose to be delivered this Friday to Vancouver. Anybody else having the same issue? Calling UPS was a waste of time as they can't do anything until it pass the schedule delivery date.

Hodgkins, IL, United States 11/02/2013 7:42 Arrival Scan

ukas

Oh, so the other launchers will have to update their code to support that?

Damn...I wish I could reduce the size of the app icons just a little bit on the default launcher

If you're rooted you can change the DPI in the build.prop. I changed mine and it looks much better.

Yeah, that's how its voice calls function. It's not VOIP; it's a relay service.

That said, VOIP is being implemented as GV transitions into Hangouts. (The iOS Hangouts app can already make VOIP calls, much to our collective annoyance.)

Really? So how do you set that up then? Does it still give you the unlimited US calling? I have a google voice number but I thought it only used VOIP which is why I had to use talkatone and such to use it.

northead

Ok, my N5 is 99% ready to support me as my daily driver.
There's only one problem, as Power Toggles doesn't seem to be working problem.

And this is beyond annoying.

Is there anyway to get the gallery app to not show picasa stuff or pics I shared in hangout convos. or whatever that is. I just want it to show downloaded pics and pics I take from the camera. Sucks that the gallery app has improved so little.

JoeFu

Banned
This phone is so smooth. My GN would slow to a crawl when downloading updates for apps, this thing is flying through everything no problem while its redownloading all the apps I had before.

a;lsdkfja;lksfdja;lskdjfa;klgjal;fja;f Its so awesome

Decent battery life you guys are posting. Does no one use JuiceDefender or am I just super old school? I mostly just hate wakelocks and having the connection running constantly.

Then again I also undervolt/underclock and go crazy with governors. I might be a tad insane.

that's weird. on my HTC one it would clearly show that it was off at home or work, but the nexus 5 cell standby is chewing through the battery. did I miss an option somewhere?

sorry to bother. haven't spent much time with it.

Settings - Wifi - Advanced -
Ensure 'Keep wifi on during sleep' is ticked.

rc213

Just got my Spigen Ultra Hybrid case from amazon for $5.

Beautiful case, It does not make the phone wider by that much. The back while it looks good, I suspect won't last long as I am sure the clear plastic will scratch up. The free screen protector is a perfect fit and has almost no drag on my finger.

A Fiver well spent!

tzare

What do i have to do to enable swype on the keyboard, i have it selected in the options but it foes not work for me :(

Husker86

Decent battery life you guys are posting. Does no one use JuiceDefender or am I just super old school? I mostly just hate wakelocks and having the connection running constantly.

Then again I also undervolt/underclock and go crazy with governors. I might be a tad insane.

JuiceDefender can greatly increase standby battery life, but it makes my phone not feel very connected. I don't like that notifications won't come instantly because data is turned off (or only turned on at a set interval) to conserve power.

That said, I never wanted or needed 2 days of battery life. If a phone can get me through the day, even if I have to use the charger in my car to and from work, then I'm content. I'd rather not have to plug it in at work, but if I do it is a 3 second hassle.

Is there anyway to get the gallery app to not show picasa stuff or pics I shared in hangout convos. or whatever that is. I just want it to show downloaded pics and pics I take from the camera. Sucks that the gallery app has improved so little.
you just have to disable google sync in the settings then clear data in the app settings.

Otheradam

Just got my Spigen Ultra Hybrid case from amazon for $5.

Beautiful case, It does not make the phone wider by that much. The back while it looks good, I suspect won't last long as I am sure the clear plastic will scratch up. The free screen protector is a perfect fit and has almost no drag on my finger.

A Fiver well spent!

Can you post some pics if you have time?

Top Bottom