• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

I wish I had a wifi access point in work, I bet I'd be getting 5hrs screen on time easy. (heck, I got that on my N4 if I spent all day in the house)

Annoyingly there is a free access point in the adjoining office, if my desk was about 5m closer I reckon I could connect to it. :-(

Google need to update some of their widgets, these dark grey slabs aren't fitting in with KitKat. Play Music and Sound Search, I'm looking at you.

Got my case coming today. £16 on Amazon :

nx5_case_neo_hybrid-champagne_gold.jpg

Draper

Think I may have a wonky battery. Took it off the charger for 4 hours while I slept, dropped from 100% to 65%...

SimleuqiR

After T-mobile added the IMEI of the phone to their network:

640954208.png

I'm ok with this. Ping is not bad either. I've gotten lower, in the 30s.

Chili

Great phone. The most comfortable smartphone I have ever held. But I'm having a problem where the camera stops working after a while (front and back) and I have to restart the phone to get it working again.

After T-mobile added the IMEI of the phone to their network:

640954208.png

I'm ok with this. Ping is not bad either. I've gotten lower, in the 30s.

I got 26.9 download, 9.35 upload, and 37 ping on T-Mo yesterday.

That was on the high end, though. Most tests were in the mid to high teens, download-wise. Very pleased.

I need to stop running speed tests, though. They consume a shocking amount of data.

SimleuqiR

iOS 4.3 got Verizon'd

Faceless, I meant this sort of thing:

I assume Verizon goes to OEMs and says, I need x amount of this phone in this configuration. And OEMs are happy to oblige. But with Apple, they tell Verizon "you are going to buy this amount of iPhone for x amount of time and you will like it. Oh, you don't agree with our requirements? OK, no iPhone for you."

Espresso

Banned
Faceless, I meant this sort of thing:

I assume Verizon goes to OEMs and says, I need x amount of this phone in this configuration. And OEMs are happy to oblige. But with Apple, they tell Verizon "you are going to buy this amount of iPhone for x amount of time and you will like it. Oh, you don't agree with our requirements? OK, no iPhone for you."

Love it. VZW are slimeballs.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I must have this phone. The only problem is that I'm on AT&T and under contract until May (along with the wife). We're not loyal to them though and are considering switching to another carrier and with it, hopefully picking two of these up at a subsidized price. I know that gets a bit complicated with T-Mobile though, right? I wish they'd announce pricing for the N5 already.

I'm ok with the idea of Sprint, but their coverage in STL isn't the greatest. We recently had to add a repeater at the university I work at because no Sprint customers in my building had coverage lol.

northead

...aaand it's come.
I took a couple pictures, hope you like them. Enjoy!

YEAo4vZh.jpg

Full album with HTC One/Nexus 7 2013/Lumia 925 quick size comparison here

The lack of notification LED bothers me a bit. With my N4, when it was charging, it would be orange. Fully charged, green. Now, nothing. Emails, texts, and fb messages all used to be separate colors. Now, it appears that they are all white regardless of the type of notification. There is an app called light flow that allows me to manage these but still. Curious as to why it is no longer there.

northead

The lack of notification LED bothers me a bit. With my N4, when it was charging, it would be orange. Fully charged, green. Now, nothing. Emails, texts, and fb messages all used to be separate colors. Now, it appears that they are all white regardless of the type of notification. There is an app called light flow that allows me to manage these but still. Curious as to why it is no longer there.

Nothing to be worried about, fortunately!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRF6jZX2b7Q&hd=1

SimleuqiR

Say what about the LED when charging? My N4 never did that. You sure you weren't using some LED customization app or a ROM with this feature built in?

xtop

at least it's not like the 2013 nexus 7 and only has a white led

Say what about the LED when charging? My N4 never did that. You sure you weren't using some LED customization app or a ROM with this feature built in?

mine never did that either. he must have had an app installed

Rootbeer

Banned
Coming from an iPhone from my last two upgrade cycles, I think I can live without a notification light. In fact I may even find it distracting to have.

yyzjohn

Banned

The N4 never did this by default, you'd need something like Light Flow to have the LED show up with colours for charging. The LED hasn't changed at all in the N5, same multi-coloured LED.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm waiting to hear some hands on impression about these, they look too damn good to be true....

I have the silver. It's not grippy at all, very smooth. The trim part (gold/silver/black) is plastic and definitely feels like it, not a very premium feel. Buttons work great, USB cable included with the phone and one other one I tried fit just fine.

Appearance-wise the pictures are pretty accurate, at least for the silver. Haven't dropped it and hope I don't, so I don't know how well it will protect the phone.

I have the silver. It's not grippy at all, very smooth. The trim part (gold/silver/black) is plastic and definitely feels like it, not a very premium feel. Buttons work great, USB cable included with the phone and one other one I tried fit just fine.

Appearance-wise the pictures are pretty accurate, at least for the silver. Haven't dropped it and hope I don't, so I don't know how well it will protect the phone.

I was hoping behind hope that the trimming would be aluminium or something!

Ah well, thanks for your views!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
So looking at sample camera pic's from different N5 owners, I'm reasonably satisfied with the sensor quality. I have a GNex now and the over-aggressive noise reduction that takes place for its camera always left fine detail very crunchy. But I see very little of that in the N5 sample shots I've seen so far.

So that's my main concern addressed but the reviews complaining about using the camera being frustrating due to slowness and poor autofocus performance are worrying. For those of you who have their N5's how has it been on the basic mechanical/autofocus front?

Knight77

Just arrived mine. Set it up and as soon as reach the desktop...start again downloading all the the apps, even the old ones that I (thought) I deleted in some way from the market profile. Damn. Had to make an hard reset.

Any way to avoid this? Didn't happen with my N7!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Actually, will the Nexus 5 from the Play Store work on Sprint? I might just try them out for a month if I can and see if they can succeed where T-Mo failed.

Is Boost the prepaid version of Sprint?

No Love

Banned
Ok GAF, you're not gonna believe this. So Google hadn't shipped my Nexus 5 as of yesterday afternoon, so I went on Craigslist last night and bought a 32GB White.

Come home with it, and right before I go to bed, Google NOW (fucking 4 days later) says that my Nexus 5 has shipped.

Weirdest part? They didn't charge my card. Free Google Nexus 5? lol

Husker86

Man I don't know what to go with: AIO (good prices, poor speeds (8 Mbps cap on LTE, 4 Mbps on HSPA+)), GoPhone (decent prices and LTE speed, but low max data cap (3 GB)), or just straight up AT&T (not really good prices if you only have one device, but you get LTE and high data caps.)

Someone tell me what to do. =/

I really wish T-Mobile worked back in CT.

GoPhone or AT&T proper. Like I said to someone before, if you go AT&T you might as well buy an iPhone and flip it right away so you can pocket some money. I would have said Aio but didn't know they capped speeds...hmmm.

I'm on AT&T now and am considering GoPhone, but prepaid scares me because of the no roaming. It's also nice to have officially supported tethering, especially since AT&T seems to be one of the most strict on tracking unauthorized tethering.

Shit's expensive though...

mturco

Man I don't know what to go with: AIO (good prices, poor speeds (8 Mbps cap on LTE, 4 Mbps on HSPA+)), GoPhone (decent prices and LTE speed, but low max data cap (3 GB)), or just straight up AT&T (not really good prices if you only have one device, but you get LTE and high data caps.)

Someone tell me what to do. =/

I really wish T-Mobile worked back in CT.

Yikes those are pretty terrible speeds on AIO. I was just kicking myself for signing a 2 year contract with AT&T but now I'm feeling much better haha. Getting anywhere from 25/10 to 35/15 consistently on AT&T. You get what you pay for I guess.

I wish AT&T had a half reasonable prepaid plan.

Top Bottom