• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

mturco

Ok GAF, you're not gonna believe this. So Google hadn't shipped my Nexus 5 as of yesterday afternoon, so I went on Craigslist last night and bought a 32GB White.

Come home with it, and right before I go to bed, Google NOW (fucking 4 days later) says that my Nexus 5 has shipped.

Weirdest part? They didn't charge my card. Free Google Nexus 5? lol

Yeah mine didn't get charged until the day it arrived. How much did you pay on Craigslist?

No Love

Banned
Yeah mine didn't get charged until the day it arrived. How much did you pay on Craigslist?

$500. Ok but here's what was weird... Google had a pending charge on my bank card. It showed up in my bank account and everything. And now it's gone.

this_guy

Man I don't know what to go with: AIO (good prices, poor speeds (8 Mbps cap on LTE, 4 Mbps on HSPA+)), GoPhone (decent prices and LTE speed, but low max data cap (3 GB)), or just straight up AT&T (not really good prices if you only have one device, but you get LTE and high data caps.)

Someone tell me what to do. =/

I really wish T-Mobile worked back in CT.

AIO's speeds are fine for day to day usage, just no bragging rights. My only issue with them is lack of premium sms/sms shortcodes. My Gmail, Facebook, and bank accounts send me a password if I log in from a new device, but with AIO I had to turn this option off.

GoPhone is what I currently use, but I only use 1-1.5gb of data a month so it works for me. If you use a lot of data AIO is better.

Sprint has an As You Go plan for $65/month for unlimited everything, but I've never used it and I'm not sure if you pay taxes and fees on top. If there are additional taxes on top then this plan is really closer to $75 and to close to normal postpaid plans.

Boost Mobile is Sprint's prepaid arm, but they don't have a true byod (bring your own device) option. There's rumors that they will have true byod by early December, and if that pans out I wouldn't mind trying them Since the Nexus 5 works on Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile. T-Mobile has great speeds here in Houston (I actually used Metropcs for a few months which uses T-Mobile's LTE network), but there's too many places indoors where I drop LTE and 4g (what they call their HSPA network) and fall back to 2g/EDGE.

Milpool

The Friendly Monster said:
...Does anyone know about wireless charging for it?

Charges fine on my Maxell charging mat which I used for the Nexus 4.

I might get something more like this though since I don't like the look of the mat:

iGaB0gRLg1mMa.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
GoPhone or AT&T proper. Like I said to someone before, if you go AT&T you might as well buy an iPhone and flip it right away so you can pocket some money. I would have said Aio but didn't know they capped speeds...hmmm.

I'm on AT&T now and am considering GoPhone, but prepaid scares me because of the no roaming. It's also nice to have officially supported tethering, especially since AT&T seems to be one of the most strict on tracking unauthorized tethering.

Shit's expensive though...

If I go with ATT proper do I have to sign up for a set period of time?

AIO's speeds are fine for day to day usage, just no bragging rights. My only issue with them is lack of premium sms/sms shortcodes. My Gmail, Facebook, and bank accounts send me a password if I log in from a new device, but with AIO I had to turn this option off.

GoPhone is what I currently use, but I only use 1-1.5gb of data a month so it works for me. If you use a lot of data AIO is better.

Sprint has an As You Go plan for $65/month for unlimited everything, but I've never used it and I'm not sure if you pay taxes and fees on top. If there are additional taxes on top then this plan is really closer to $75 and to close to normal postpaid plans.

Boost Mobile is Sprint's prepaid arm, but they don't have a true byod (bring your own device) option. There's rumors that they will have true byod by early December, and if that pans out I wouldn't mind trying them Since the Nexus 5 works on Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile. T-Mobile has great speeds here in Houston (I actually used Metropcs for a few months which uses T-Mobile's LTE network), but there's too many places indoors where I drop LTE and 4g (what they call their HSPA network) and fall back to 2g/EDGE.

I think I'll go with GoPhone for now, and if I go over the limit try AIO out. There seems to be too many problems with activating the N5 on Sprint right now (dude says only the 16 GB model will ever be supported??) Then if I get annoyed with AIO's speeds just bite the bullet and go with AT&T.

teiresias

How will this work on Sprint from the Play Store? Sprint doesn't sell SIM cards do they because all of their SIM-based phones currently have embedded SIMs.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Knight77

Just US English. It was actually a workaround to switch it to generic English on the Nexus 4 because search crashes otherwise.

Well...that's quite bad :-( At least can I know if there is a compromise like: Google Now in english and use italian for the other things (sms, mail etc.), is there a workaround for this?

Knight77

Gaf need your opinion.

I must have two phones, one for work and the other personal.

Until now I had HTC One as personal one and an old Xperia S for work. Now I have the One and the N5....

Which one personal and which one for work?

Tell me GAF tell me !

OmegaFax

Well...that's quite bad :-( At least can I know if there is a compromise like: Google Now in english and use italian for the other things (sms, mail etc.), is there a workaround for this?

It's just a quirk for people like me who are too impatient to wait for Google to roll out KitKat to other Nexus devices. This was just from the sideloaded APK. Surprisingly, everything else works.

No Love

Banned
Good luck with that. I can't imagine many jumping at the opportunity to pay $200 more for the phone.

You'd be surprised dude. Lots of people can't get these and will pay a premium. Hell, I won't even mind selling it for my cost. I only paid $50 more to get one anyways. And the White 32GB seems hard as hell to get. Tons of black 32GB's floating around.

tylerf

N5 feels the best in hand of any phone I've owned. I can't tell if it's just new device placebo but it feels faster than the N4 ever did as well. It's also nice to have LTE again. Web browsing suddenly isn't a chore.

tmaynard

How will this work on Sprint from the Play Store? Sprint doesn't sell SIM cards do they because all of their SIM-based phones currently have embedded SIMs.

All Sprint reps that I have talked to have told me to pick up a SIM card on Friday from a local store. However, the local stores have no clue and assure me they will never give me a SIM card without buying a phone. They are also saying that they cannot activate the Nexus 5 until Friday, which is completely false because many folks have successfully been able to activate over the past couple days.

You can order a SIM from Sprint World Wide, but they are sold out and on backorder. I've been told that it will be at least 10 days before they get more in stock.

Every Sprint rep I have talked to has said something different, and there is no sort of consistency or organization on what each rep says. The best part is they speak misinformation with confidence - they don't ever question that the customer may have done previous research.

It gets a bit more complicated if you are a SERO customer. If you are a SERO customer and you try to order a SIM from Sprint World Wide, they will immediately deny you because they don't have the appropriate permission to access your account.

So, it appears that Sprint customers have a few options:
1.) Wait for Friday - try our luck in clueless corporate Sprint Stores. (Even if they have the SIM cards, they will likely question you and refuse your requests.)
2.) If you aren't a SERO customer, you can order a SIM from Sprint World Wide by chat or phone. However, you'll likely be waiting another week at the least.
3.) If you are a SERO customer, you can call the Employee Reps and ask for them to assist you in contacting Sprint World Wide and working together to order you a SIM. However, you will also be waiting at least another week as the SIM cards are out of stock.

Once you have successfully obtained a SIM card you can contact Sprint over the phone or via chat and they should be able to activate your phone without any issues. Getting the SIM is the hard part.

It has been a very frustrating experience, but I hope this has helped!

You'd be surprised dude. Lots of people can't get these and will pay a premium. Hell, I won't even mind selling it for my cost. I only paid $50 more to get one anyways. And the White 32GB seems hard as hell to get. Tons of black 32GB's floating around.

For $600 though? I haven't looked, I'm just surprised it would fetch such a high premium, not the fact it was fetching a premium. I guess the fan base helps with driving the cost too.

For anyone on tmobile, does it show an LTE symbol or no? I get an H over my signal strength but nothing saying LTE. I just activated last night but I did give them my imei number too when activating my sim.

Dinosur

AT&T still hasn't shipped that GoPhone sim card (even though it's the wrong size).

I sent my mom to their store since it's 1.5 hours away from me. Dude is telling her the fucking sim card costs $60 and he won't give it to her unless I give all my information to sign up right there.

WTF? I'm looking at the frickin' site where you can do all that online right now. =/

edit: She want and asked another worker who said "here you go" and gave her the sim card free. Balance has been restored.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Despite talking to people in the shipping area of my work's building to give my floor to UPS when asked, UPS must not have asked cause now I don't have my N5 and the tracking details are all "Action Required: A correct suite number is needed for delivery. UPS is attempting to obtain this information." And of course Google Play doesn't let you change your address after ordering.

FML. It's going to end up refused and I'm going to have to wait at the back of the damn line for another 2-3 weeks.

tmaynard

Despite talking to people in the shipping area of my work's building to give my floor to UPS when asked, UPS must not have asked cause now I don't have my N5 and the tracking details are all "Action Required: A correct suite number is needed for delivery. UPS is attempting to obtain this information." And of course Google Play doesn't let you change your address after ordering.

FML. It's going to end up refused and I'm going to have to wait at the back of the damn line for another 2-3 weeks.

If you want it this evening, you should be able to stop by the UPS distribution center near the end of the day and pick it up when the driver returns. You should probably give them a call first. If not, you can have them hold it for you so they dont put it back on the truck and you can pick it up tomorrow.

tirminyl

All Sprint reps that I have talked to have told me to pick up a SIM card on Friday from a local store. However, the local stores have no clue and assure me they will never give me a SIM card without buying a phone. They are also saying that they cannot activate the Nexus 5 until Friday, which is completely false because many folks have successfully been able to activate over the past couple days.

You can order a SIM from Sprint World Wide, but they are sold out and on backorder. I've been told that it will be at least 10 days before they get more in stock.

Everywhere I have read with people activating them mention they avoid stating its a Nexus 5 and just say they need to activate their device. They provide the MEID number which is the IMEI without the last digit and they are good to go. Also they did it online and then used the chat for the last piece. We will see as I will give it a go tonight.

I ordered my SIM from SWW yesterday. Good thing I did if they are sold out now. Sucks for others.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If you want it this evening, you should be able to stop by the UPS distribution center near the end of the day and pick it up when the driver returns. You should probably give them a call first. If not, you can have them hold it for you so they dont put it back on the truck and you can pick it up tomorrow.

How do I figure out which distribution center it'll be at?

tylerf

It's really hard to test the battery because I can't remember to not set it down on the charging orb -_-

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
It's finally here!

Goodbye POS Moto Atrix.... Hello new hotness!

I'm thinking about a case, but might just have to go bareback it feels so good! lol

I see a lot of people got the Spigen's, but everyone on Amazon says Spigen screwed them. So I'm not sure I want to support their shady business tactics.

this_guy

I think I'll go with GoPhone for now, and if I go over the limit try AIO out. There seems to be too many problems with activating the N5 on Sprint right now (dude says only the 16 GB model will ever be supported??) Then if I get annoyed with AIO's speeds just bite the bullet and go with AT&T.

I've been following some Sprint forums regarding the activation issue. Sprint apparently didn't have the black 32gb model IMEI's in their system, but now that has been resolved. The sim card issue is still out there because most stores don't know if they have it in stock or claim not to have it in stock. I'm sticking with GoPhone for now, but once Sprint starts turning on their triband LTE in more markets I'll give them a shot.

tmaynard

How do I figure out which distribution center it'll be at?

That's a great question. In my area, there is only one. If you call UPS, you should be able to ask them which distribution center your package was delivered from and I'm pretty sure they can also initiate a hold on your item so they don't put it on the truck again tomorrow.

Bollocks

Is there a bulletproof way to import my contacts?

It imported only a fraction of my contacts, I then exported the contacts on my old phone via vCard but that only exported contacts with email only aka no new contacts show up.

I'm having this werid problem with my phone, yesterday i charged my phone when it was at 5% battery life, woke up this morning for work at 6am ...my phone stop charging at 76% ...anyone else having this problem? haven't had a chance to call google yet since i'm at work ...

snack

Is there a bulletproof way to import my contacts?

It imported only a fraction of my contacts, I then exported the contacts on my old phone via vCard but that only exported contacts with email only aka no new contacts show up.

I sync them with Google Contacts. Couldn't be easier.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
QUF2L5q.png

what this could mean is that a Nexus 5 (or variant) could come to Verizon

...branded and 199 on contract

SimleuqiR

QUF2L5q.png

The Nexus 7 LTE supports the Verizon bands. They are just a holes. Once the device past the FCC certification there was no need for VZ to stop people from using it on their network.

Goddam assholes.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The Nexus 7 LTE supports the Verizon bands. They are just a holes. Once the device past the FCC certification there was no need for VZ to stop people from using it on their network.

Goddam assholes.

Over/under on a Verizon-made lookalike? I mean, the made this:

verizon-ellipsis-7-official.jpg

Evil in electric form

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
QUF2L5q.png

I really doubt that. N7 is only possible cause it's LTE only and Verizon has to be open about LTE. Throw CDMA into the mix and making a new model with Verizon bands, and yeah... very doubtful.

That's a great question. In my area, there is only one. If you call UPS, you should be able to ask them which distribution center your package was delivered from and I'm pretty sure they can also initiate a hold on your item so they don't put it on the truck again tomorrow.

I see. Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a shot.

Top Bottom