• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

coopolon

I am having a annoying problem where the headphone jack isn't working. When I plug in headphones the tablet just keeps playing from the speakers. I have tried multiple headphones and no luck, also tried jostling and never gotten it to work for even a second. Restarting Also did not work. when I Google I get mostly people who when they put in their headphones get no sound from either place. Any ideas or should I just contact Asu for a repair? I have had the tablet since November and not had any problems until about a week ago.

eso76

i don't understand the 'lag' complaints.
My nexus is perfectly responsive as always, on the contrary i recently had to use a samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1 and i absolutely hated it.
Slow, sluggish, laggy and there's no way to type anything without throwing it against the wall.

The HUGE problem i have with it though, is it takes ages to charge.
What can i do about it ?

Zaph

Try using a shorter, higher quality USB cable to connect your charger to the tablet.

The Nexus 7 has a bit of notoriety for charging issues and is very sensitive to what cables and chargers you use.

kehs

Banned
Heh, I'm having charging issues as well. Within the past month it started charging very very slow. Like 6 hours and it was still only 50%.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Just wanted to bump this to report a much improved Nexus 7 2012 after the 4.3 OTA update. I didn't seem to have as big of problems as a lot of people regarding lag, but even still, the 4.3 update has really made a difference. The experience in general is night and day, no more pauses when waking the device or when switching between apps. The battery life is also much improved.

By the way, for the impatient few like me, clearing the Google Services Framework data twice allowed my device to detect the update.

coopolon

Just wanted to bump this to report a much improved Nexus 7 2012 after the 4.3 OTA update. I didn't seem to have as big of problems as a lot of people regarding lag, but even still, the 4.3 update has really made a difference. The experience in general is night and day, no more pauses when waking the device or when switching between apps. The battery life is also much improved.

By the way, for the impatient few like me, clearing the Google Services Framework data twice allowed my device to detect the update.

Very cool, thanks for posting. I got the update notification yesterday but haven't bothered downloading. I definitely will do it first thing tonight though. After 4.2 was such a mixed bag I was thinking about waiting for awhile.

Schrade

It all makes sense now - apparently they implemented Trim in 4.3. No wonder some peoples' Nexus 7s would slow down and others wouldn't. If you were a heavy downloader/deleter of files the storage would just get slower and slower and slower.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7185/android-43-update-brings-trim-to-all-nexus-devices

belvedere

Junior Butler
It all makes sense now - apparently they implemented Trim in 4.3. No wonder some peoples' Nexus 7s would slow down and others wouldn't. If you were a heavy downloader/deleter of files the storage would just get slower and slower and slower.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7185/android-43-update-brings-trim-to-all-nexus-devices

Exactly, wasn't sure if everyone knew about that or not. I guess I could have mentioned TRIM. I'm still waiting to see what this means for other devices. Fstrim is just a linux cache clean-up command of sorts, right? Why would it be specific to certain hardware?

Razdek

Banned
Got the new Nexus 7 today and it's pretty awesome. I wasn't expecting a big upgrade but all the little things add up to a better experience. Definitely worth the upgrade.

mattp

add me to the "4.3 fixed my n7" camp
thing ran like fucking garbage on 4.2, since the update it's back to running the way it did at launch

mattp

it's not like you need to root or do anything like that if you just wanna install the official update. it takes like 5 seconds to drop the zip onto the n7 and reboot it/install it

4.3 is working like a charm for me as well. I thought LagFix was supposed to do a TRIM command also, but this update is a big improvement over that.

Weird that they waited so long to implement the change, but I'm glad that they at least pushed it through instead of leaving us out to dry and trying to force us to upgrade to the new model.

Razdek

Banned
Anyone getting random reboots in the new Nexus 7? It's. Happened to me about a dozen times now and it's not just doing certain things but random.

smiggyRT

Dropped my charger Nexus and cracked the screen. I'm so mad and disappointed.

Don't even want to know how much it will cost to repair, wont be able to afford it :(

8 months was all I got.

chronos86

My nexus 7 wont boot past the Google logo , i can get into the fastboot mode but before i try factory reset it is there any way to get files off of it?

I tried using nexus toolkit , to do anything with fastboot i need to have it unlocked which whipes all data. To do anything with adb i need to have usb debugging enabled which i cant do.

(i wasnt sure what would best thread to post this so i figured i post it here.)

Top Bottom