• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 4 |OT| Dewey Beats Truman

Haha, that idiot should really shut up. He's not doing himself any favours with such comments. What's next, complaining that he's 0-3 because of refs? Fuck off, Brees. Spend more time with your receivers than on your fucking phone.

I think Brees represents the NFLPA so I'd say his vocals are necessary.

squicken

As it was, the pass was a mini-miracle, given that Wilson, Y! Sports has learned, called the wrong play in the huddle before lining up for the fourth-and-10 attempt with eight seconds remaining.

Instead of sending three receivers to the left corner of the end zone where Tate and Jennings ultimately fought for the ball, Wilson mistakenly called a "Waggle" play which called for him to roll right while several receivers ran underneath routes. Some Seahawks ran the play Wilson called, while others ran the one he was supposed to have called. Whatever – after he rolled right, drifted back to his left and planted at the 39-yard line before unleashing his high pass to the end zone, it all worked out in the end.

from the silver piece earlier

So it seems the big holdup between the owners and the real refs is the fact that several owners are opposed to pensions. Why cant they figure out the value of the pension and just give that to the real refs in a bump in salary? They have to get this settled now.

Then let him represent it by tweeting even more snarky remarks, sure. Sooo important to helping the process.

Well I think the concerns with him and all the players now realize that these calls could very well happen to them and could ultimately cost them a playoff spot. But if we are going by that standard then Brees shouldn't be concerned cause his team is 0-3.

Also he probably isn't too happy that he has to play the Packers next.

gutshot

So it seems the big holdup between the owners and the real refs is the fact that several owners are opposed to pensions. Why cant they figure out the value of the pension and just give that to the real refs in a bump in salary? They have to get this settled now.

I think that is what the NFL offered, a higher salary but less pension, and the refs wouldn't accept it.

squicken

It's sort of a line in the sand/ideological thing. The refs don't want the dollar value, they want the pension. They also object to the NFL's desire to have have bench crews on standby to replace poorly performing refs. The union says that the refs' "professionalism" compels them to not make errors, and the threat of removal is unnecessary.

eznark

Banned
Ah, ok. He is working for them though so...

Go tell your boss that he has to pay all the janitors more.

Report back on the results.

I think that is what the NFL offered, a higher salary but less pension, and the refs wouldn't accept it.
This morning someone on ESPNR said that the deal was all but done yesterday and then the refs demanded a signing bonus that would pay them for the three weeks they missed.

Wrayfield

Well I think the concerns with him and all the players now realize that these calls could very well happen to them and could ultimately cost them a playoff spot. But if we are going by that standard then Brees shouldn't be concerned cause his team is 0-3.

Also he probably isn't too happy that he has to play the Packers next.

I get what you mean, just wish he would contribute with the other team representatives instead of tweeting bitter stuff. Get them all together, try to create some sort of momentum as hard as it might be, make a suggestions, be involved if you can, but stop complaining.

eznark

Banned
It's sort of a line in the sand/ideological thing. The refs don't want the dollar value, they want the pension. They also object to the NFL's desire to have have bench crews on standby to replace poorly performing refs. The union says that the refs' "professionalism" compels them to not make errors, and the threat of removal is unnecessary.

I'm still convinced this is the real sticking point.

Seattle has beaten GB and Dallas at home.

New England goes there in week 6.I aint scared.

You should be. I believe they have the best home record over the last 5 years. There is something to them winning at home.

This morning someone on ESPNR said that the deal was all but done yesterday and then the refs demanded a signing bonus that would pay them for the three weeks they missed.
So stupid if that is true. No way should they be paid for games they didnt work.

Wrayfield

Go tell your boss that he has to pay all the janitors more.

Report back on the results.

Now that's not nice, they are all professionals, man.

Does anyone know what time today's NFL press conference about last night's game starts?

The only thing that could possibly cap off this hilarity is if they give the win to the Packers.

squicken

I'm still convinced this is the real sticking point.

I wouldn't discount the pension thing, but I think the refs know the public won't side with them on the removal thing, so they use their media friends to downplay it. The union has also offered to make all new refs go in under defined contribution, but all current refs keep the pension.

I think people assuming the NFL gives are a little wishful. The refs don't create revenue directly, and clearly needed some sort of remedial mechanism in place for how bad they have become. But replacing them with even worse refs wasn't the brightest of ideas. I still think the NFL just needs more people in the booth with two way radios to help with every call, but after last night, I'm not sure how many employees of the NFL actually know the rules of the game

Levyne

Banned
God. I can live with the Packers winning the division if the Lions continue to underwhelm...but if I have to deal with Godawful, stupid ignorant Bears fans, breathing sausage breath about how great Jay Cutler is and the defense being like the 85 team, I'm going to spaz. They're already ignoring their beat down against GB and saying wins vs Indy and STL make them best in division. Ugh.

Need to move away from Chicago, haha.

I feel the same.

I wouldn't discount the pension thing, but I think the refs know the public won't side with them on the removal thing, so they use their media friends to downplay it. The union has also offered to make all new refs go in under defined contribution, but all current refs keep the pension.

I think people assuming the NFL gives are a little wishful. The refs don't create revenue directly, and clearly needed some sort of remedial mechanism in place for how bad they have become. But replacing them with even worse refs wasn't the brightest of ideas. I still think the NFL just needs more people in the booth with two way radios to help with every call, but after last night, I'm not sure how many employees of the NFL actually know the rules of the game

This really is a problem. I was thinking they could have someone in the league office who they call like the NHL does, but what are the odds that anyone actually knows the rules. We have seen the scabs totally not know simple rules so far, and the NFL has some really archaic rules that even the real refs dont know. I am not sure how they can ever make sure stuff like last night never happens again.

bionic77

Was this posted in the previous thread? I lolled.

original.gif
:lol

eznark

Banned

That's the thing. Think of all the times over the past few years where Mike Periera, a guy who was in charge of officials, said the refs were wrong. Happened a few times a week. I don't think anyone involved in the NFL has any fucking clue what the actual rules are.

The best thing about the old refs is that while they fucked up all the time, they had been doing it long enough that they were able to fool us into thinking they didn't and they did it incredibly fast and without hesitation.

The little stuff that the replacements are getting ripped on for happens all the time (wrong number announced, pointing the wrong way, bad spots...oh lord the bad spots!) happened week in and week out previously, but guys like Hochuli just sold us on them knowing what they were doing.

Seda

God. I can live with the Packers winning the division if the Lions continue to underwhelm...but if I have to deal with Godawful, stupid ignorant Bears fans, breathing sausage breath about how great Jay Cutler is and the defense being like the 85 team, I'm going to spaz. They're already ignoring their beat down against GB and saying wins vs Indy and STL make them best in division. Ugh.

Need to move away from Chicago, haha.

I am so glad I don't live in Chicago.

gutshot

Going through Simmons' mailbag. Some good ones in here...

If this ending doesn't lead to the real officials being brought back, Gary Bettman could travel the country and physically shit on every NHL fan and still not look as terrible as Goodell. Ew.

I am in shock right now. Without a doubt the sickest bad beat in my gambling career which is saying a lot. All I know is that Ref #28 is the one who made the bogus phantom Pass Interference call on Sam Shields on Seattle's second to last drive for 32 yard. He is also the one who failed to see Golden Tate's blatant shove in the back on the final play, and of course he is the one who called the touchdown. It is absolutely impossible for me to stop wondering if that guy was in some way not financially compensated or bribed to affect this game for the Seahawks. I am begging you as a prominent media figure to please bring up this particular individual, Ref #28 somehow on your site and possibly raise some groundswell for an official investigation. This is the biggest injustice possibly in the recent history of sports and sports gambling and it would be a travesty if this guy gets away with it. Please at least mention this in passing somehow in some format somewhere on Grantland. What an absolute joke, again I am in complete shock right now …

The NFL is a joke, so let's make it funnier. I would like to propose the Black Flag. The Black Flag can be thrown by a coach when they think the refs have made a bad call. The offending ref is then placed against the uprights and a player of the offended team gets to throw a ball at them. It won't make up for the bad call, but it would be damn fun to watch and make you feel better.

eznark

Banned
I hate to bring actual football talk into this thread but man, BJ Raji showed up last night. He played really well.

That's the thing. Think of all the times over the past few years where Mike Periera, a guy who was in charge of officials, said the refs were wrong. Happened a few times a week. I don't think anyone involved in the NFL has any fucking clue what the actual rules are.

The best thing about the old refs is that while they fucked up all the time, they had been doing it long enough that they were able to fool us into thinking they didn't and they did it incredibly fast and without hesitation.

The little stuff that the replacements are getting ripped on for happens all the time (wrong number announced, pointing the wrong way, bad spots...oh lord the bad spots!) happened week in and week out previously, but guys like Hochuli just sold us on them knowing what they were doing.

And they have a replay system that kind of blows.

Top Bottom