• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 6 |OT| The C-Word Is For Lovers

I didnt say the team, I said Vick. Brees and the offense are doing pretty well.
Vick is the thing holding your team back.

4 times this year the team has been trailing going into their final possession and all 4 times Vick has gone down the field and gotten the go ahead score. He is taking a page from the book of Eli this year. Stumble around for the first 3 quarters and then turn it on in the 4th and win the game. I wouldnt ay Vick is holding the team back since all 3 wins are thanks to him leading game winning drives.

I don't think Vick is holding the Eagles back, he's just high risk high reward. Reid just needs to do a better job of helping Vick minimize his risk side.

/biased VT alum

squicken

I really wonder if Rex wanted to put in Tebow but knew it would be cruel to do that to Sanchez. It's not like he lost the game. His two INTs came on tipped passes. Lots of drops. No running game for most of the game. The completion percentage is a little misleading.

Why do Packers fans turn on their players so fast and viciously? Happens all the time.
Because of our sterling pedigree* we demand excellence at all times unlike shitty teams like the Pats or Saints who accept female and/or midget QBs on their teams.

*Like most other rational people we like to pretend the 80s never happened.

cajunator

Banned
I really wonder if Rex wanted to put in Tebow but knew it would be cruel to do that to Sanchez. It's not like he lost the game. His two INTs came on tipped passes. Lots of drops. No running game for most of the game. The completion percentage is a little misleading.

Looking at how Schaub did in that game it was was almost the same. He had a rough game too. Almost same # of completions and percentage plus a pick.

eznark

Banned
Why do Packers fans turn on their players so fast and viciously? Happens all the time.

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

- Vince Lombardi

"Settle for shiteating clownfuckers and you end up with the Jets"

- eznark

bionic77

Because of our sterling pedigree we demand excellence at all times unlike shitty teams like the Pats or Saints who accept female and/or midget QBs on their teams.
Or maybe you are still angry that Brent left for the big money and the Vikebikes of a big city like Minneapolis.

Link

The Autumn Wind
There were not "lots of drops." The biggest one I can remember was the one Tebow threw. And tipped balls are on the quarterback when you don't pay attention to the D-linemen in front of you and when you throw the ball too high to a guy in the middle of the field. Frankly, Sanchez is out of excuses at this point.

PIT @ TEN

KC @ TB
IND @ NYJ
CIN @ CLE
DET @ PHI
OAK @ ATL
STL @ MIA
DAL @ BAL
------------
BUF @ ARI
NE @ SEA
NYG @ SF
MIN @ WAS
GB @ HOU

DEN @ SD

789shadow

Banned
PIT @ TEN

KC @ TB
IND @ NYJ
CIN @ CLE
DET @ PHI
OAK @ ATL
STL @ MIA
DAL @ BAL
------------
BUF @ ARI
NE @ SEA
NYG @ SF
MIN @ WAS
GB @ HOU

DEN @ SD

Blah blah, awesome OP, blah blah.

Smokey

Is that really him? Lol, he has a nice sense of humor.

Yup.

PIT @ TEN
KC @ TB
IND @ NYJ
CIN @ CLE
DET @ PHI
OAK @ ATL
STL @ MIA
DAL @ BAL
------------
BUF @ ARI
NE @ SEA
NYG @ SF
MIN @ WAS
GB @ HOU

DEN @ SD

Some good games lined up for Sunday. Few thoughts on yesterdays game:

-Dirty dirty hit block on Cushing. Dude should be fined a decent amount. Double standard going on with regards to offensive and defensive hits.

-Outside of the opening scripted plays, the offense was "meh". This has been a problem all year. The Texans do well on their opening drive, but once Kubiak has to go to that IHOP menu it slows down quickly.

-Either Cromartie studied film extra hard on Andre Johnson, or AJ has lost a step. I'm leaning towards more of the latter. He didn't seem into the game either. I dunno if its a mental thing or what, but that was not a good showing.

-Jonathan Joseph looked horrible. I think he's hurt from what I heard on the radio, and probably should not have played this game. I'm also really surprised by Kareem Jackson's play this year. DBs as a whole though need to look for the ball. I hate how 9/10 they do not and its a catch for the receiver.

-Special teams is AWFUL. The entire unit is playing subpar, not just Holliday.

-Watt is on another level. He won that game for the Texans and that's not an exaggeration. He literally saved 7+ points and was everywhere. Defensive POTY right now and it's not close IMO.

-Schaub did a decent job. Thing with him is he will throw the ball away if there is nothing there to live and fight another day. Other QBs will often try to force a play when there is nothing. He still looked off.

Overall it was the worst game the Texans have played this year. Jets literally threw everything at them and they still came out with a W on the road against a team that matches up (defensively) well against them. That Cushing injury is going to hurt though, and I'm now feeling my 10-611-5 record is more likely.

PIT @ TEN

KC @ TB
IND @ NYJ
CIN @ CLE
DET @ PHI
OAK @ ATL
STL @ MIA
DAL @ BAL
------------
BUF @ ARI
NE @ SEA
NYG @ SF
MIN @ WAS
GB @ HOU

DEN @ SD

I haven't seen the stats but is there any team in the NFL better at tipping passes than the Texans? If you remember back to week 1 Tannehill had 3 picks and 2 of them came off of passes that were tipped by Watt. In week 2 the Dolphins were constantly calling bootlegs to keep that from happening again, haha. But given how the Texans have played in recent weeks it looks like it's more the Texans being good than Tannehill having serious issues throwing over the d-line, which is good news to me of course.

That said, I don't think there is any reason to be an apologist for Sanchez's play. He has been consistently awful this year after the fluke game against the Bills.

eznark

Banned
-Schaub did a decent job. Thing with him is he will throw the ball away if there is nothing there to live and fight another day. Other QBs will often try to force a play when there is nothing. He still looked off.

That guy is incredibly protective of the ball in the red zone which in general is awesome and definitely a quality to admire, but Jesus, up 3 scores with the chance to put the Jets away at the end of the half you really need to take a chance. The Texans have big bodies and Andre Johnson is supposedly a stud. Instead of throwing it out the back of the end zone on a shitty play action (he is very poor at the play fake) take a shot.

I'd like to see him be smarter about those situations, because there are going to be games where field goals simply are not enough to win football games.

ActStriker said:
Isn't the Giants' D Line good at tipping/knocking down passes? Or is it me just thinking of JPP?
The Giants D Line isn't very good at much of anything as of late but to answer your question - yes last season they were very good at that. JPP has been the main contributor this season. I believe Linval has 1 or 2 as well.

Smokey

That guy is incredibly protective of the ball in the red zone which in general is awesome and definitely a quality to admire, but Jesus, up 3 scores with the chance to put the Jets away at the end of the half you really need to take a chance. The Texans have big bodies and Andre Johnson is supposedly a stud. Instead of throwing it out the back of the end zone on a shitty play action (he is very poor at the play fake) take a shot.

I'd like to see him be smarter about those situations, because there are going to be games where field goals simply are not enough to win football games.

That whole sequence was on Kubiak and bad play calling. In general though Schaub is probably the best in the league at PA. AJ is rarely even used in goal line situations, and when he is he's rarely looked at by Schaub.

I agree about the FGs. The other side of that is...the Texans have only played from behind this year against the Broncos. In late game situations Kubiak literally freezes up and is afraid to play to win. Instead he calls incredibly safe plays. We have been saying this for years and it is extremely annoying.

eznark

Banned
I think a lot of that frustration you guys have is misplaced personally. I'm going to try and go through some other Schaub film this week to confirm though. That said, it's not the worst thing in the world. He makes two reads and throws it away. He doesn't try to make anything happen and seems most concerned about 1. not turning it over and 2. not taking a sack. That's fine, but man with those weapons you'd think he'd have more confidence.

But 3PT is better than missing wide by 20 yards. /sob whyyyyy Crosby, whyyyyyy

I wasn't paying a lot of attention to Crosby pre-game but my dad and buddy who went with me were. They said he was pretty much atrocious the entire warm up and for some reason was especially terrible from the right hash.

When the Packers attempted those field goals, they knew exactly what was coming.

see5harp

I know you midwesterners love to ignore shit left of say Wyoming but give Alex Smith some love. He deserves a spot in the OP as "not a game manager" at least.

Smokey

I think a lot of that frustration you guys have is misplaced personally. I'm going to try and go through some other Schaub film this week to confirm though. That said, it's not the worst thing in the world. He makes two reads and throws it away. He doesn't try to make anything happen and seems most concerned about 1. not turning it over and 2. not taking a sack. That's fine, but man with those weapons you'd think he'd have more confidence.

Schuab is an extension of Kubiak. Kubiak rarely takes risks. For better and for worse.

What about the pas to Cro at the start of the game? He hits that it is a TD and a totally different game. Sanchez is terrible. He looks so unsure out there, he holds the ball to long, he forces throws, he mises wide open guys. I defy anyone to name one way in which he has improved since his second year. Look how different Matt Ryan looks now compared to when he started out.

I know you midwesterners love to ignore shit left of say Wyoming but give Alex Smith some love. He deserves a spot in the OP as "not a game manager" at least.

Of all the things I have been wrong about in my life, I was most wrong about small hands. He is a great QB this year. He is so accurate, every pass is basically right where it needs to be, he doesnt force any throws. He is playing amazing this season. Harbs might be the greatest coach ever.

Wes

venison crêpe
There's plenty of interesting matchups this weekend. About 9 games I can't dare call yet.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

When Alexis can have a stand out game he'll get mentioned

Just being a stable QB in SF doesn't give you bragging rights

MechDX

Seasons done. I dont think they can do this again like they did last year.

Whose god did the city of Houston piss off to deserve this crap?

bionic77

Is there a better elimination pick other than Pittsburgh this week?

There is also Atlanta but I feel like saving them for another week as they have an easy schedule. I am also pretty wary of undefeated teams.

Narag

Whose god did the city of Houston piss off to deserve this crap?

Sure they can so long as the O stays healthy. Who else is going to win that division?

see5harp

When Alexis can have a stand out game he'll get mentioned

Just being a stable QB in SF doesn't give you bragging rights

Dude had 300 yards in the air with 3 TDs and zero picks playing basically 3 quarters of football. It's not like he could have done much more with the running game being as effective as it's been and the game way out of reach. He had a great game last year against the Saints.

MechDX

Let's not get carried away. Hey Tom Brady could get hurt tomorrow.

Its just asking too damn much. I know the character of this team will hold and somehow Wade will find a way but it is just asking so damn much.

Bionic: who the hell is left in GAF eliminator? jnc

brentech

I wasn't paying a lot of attention to Crosby pre-game but my dad and buddy who went with me were. They said he was pretty much atrocious the entire warm up and for some reason was especially terrible from the right hash.

When the Packers attempted those field goals, they knew exactly what was coming.

That sucks, but FGs are the least of our problems at this point...
My post from earlier:

I've always been one to believe that regardless of opponents, a good team can often end up dropping a few games do to parity in this league. Unfortunately for the Packers, their play is looking more like a trend than a fluke.
Just 2 removed from winning the SB, a season off having the MVP at QB..... They look like some other team.

SF : a tough game even if the Pack played as they did last year
CHI: got an important division win
SEA : should have been a W, but we looked like Shit during that game either way
NO: you'd expect a shootout between the teams that often lead to 50/50 win
IND: just should not have lost this game.

The Pack has showed the tiniest of flashes of their 2011 selves. Otherwise they have looked atrocious on offense. The defense was on the field giving up yards all season last year because the offense scored so fast. This year, they're left on the field all game because offense goes 3 and out. Surprisingly we don't give up more points this season. The D has definitely given the offense its fair chance to lock games up, but they can't.

If they keep up their play as it's been, we're lucky to leave the season at 8-8. Only hope is that they snap out of whatever is going on. We still have some hope for a little while longer, but it's hope for that magical wildcard spot.

/real talk

Going to take some work to get our train righted.

jmdajr

Its just asking too damn much. I know the character of this team will hold and somehow Wade will find a way but it is just asking so damn much.

Any idea when Sharpton will be back?

bionic77

Fuck GAF. This is for my office elimination pool.

We are talking about $250 dollars. I have won it 3 of the last 4 years. Last year was the only year I did not win, and I blame becoming a father who was only getting 2 hours of sleep most nights.

tmdorsey

5-0
3AQmK.gif
Rejoice Falcons-GAF.

Narag

Fuck GAF. This is for my office elimination pool.

We are talking about $250 dollars. I have won it 3 of the last 4 years. Last year was the only year I did not win, and I blame becoming a father who was only getting 2 hours of sleep most nights.

Which team cost you last year?

MechDX

I need to be cheered up.

watthater.jpg

OH YEAH!! Texans D gonna be fired up for the Packers!

1) First ever SNF NBC game. EVER.
2) In Reliant Stadium. Crowd will be nuts
3) "Win it for Cush!" Mantra screamed by the defense
4) JJ Watt playing his boyhood team.

eznark

Banned
Letting teams hang around and losing.... that reminds me of some traumatic experience I've hidden away in my memory.

:jnc, we aren't in the same league as the Texans this season.

Yeah it sucks brentech but there are going to be down years every now and then. You guys clearly escaped most of the Infante years if a bad season is going to make you all morose! (I don't think any of you are old enough to remember Gregg?)

Smokey

Pretty much. They should still win the division. Number 1/2 seed and all that in the AFC though I think is out the window. Cushing was a star player and overall the LB core had weak links with him there. Now that he's gone they're about to get dat work

Top Bottom