• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 6 |OT| The C-Word Is For Lovers

The Ben/Haley marriage is working pretty well right now. Ben can still extend plays, but I think Haley has gotten through to him on getting rid of it faster and hitting checkdown guys. Mendenhall should see a jump in receptions this year, he's never had more than 25 in a season. I just hope Ben stays healthy.

It is crazy that the offense is so good already. I at least thought it might take some time t=for Ben and Haley to get on the same page. If the Steelers D improves a t all they are going to be a real tough out in the playoffs. Especially with how flawed the Ravens and Bengals are.

bionic77

Hassledbad is 1-3 against the Steelers.....the win came way back in 2003 when the Steelers finished 6-10. Though I understand some of your fear with how suspect this year's D is. I'm remaining positive about this one though....besides, if the Steelers can't win this game, then the season is fucked.
Definitely irrational fear, but can you blame me?

Remember what Carson Palmer did against our defense? We have no Woodley and no Troy. Tomlin is thinking of benching Mundy so that is a plus, but if the Titans are smart and double Harrison where is the pressure going to come from?

I should have more confidence in our offense to shred that shit defense, but things get hairy when your defense is as bad as ours.

jmdajr

Can't say I have ever really hated the Patriots. I actually felt bad when they lost during their perfect season. Why? I don't know. Just thought it be a cool achievement to have, and they lost on a fluke play.

As for teams I hate? Well not a fan of the Titans, although I hate them less these days now that VY is gone. I think I hate the Saints because Brees cost me my Fantasy Football superbowl last year. Bounty gate didn't help matters.
Oh..and I don't necessarily hate the Cowboys Team, but not a fan of the fanbase. Had to get into it with a few of them on FB. They can't stand Texans success. Just leave us the fuck alone and worry about your own shit. Hell probably half the following the Cowboys fans have is that people watch the games just to see them lose. They want to see "America's" team fail.

bionic77

Can't say I have ever really hated the Patriots. I actually felt bad when they lost during their perfect season. Why? I don't know. Just thought it be a cool achievement to have, and they lost on a fluke play.

As for teams I hate? Well not a fan of the Titans, although I hate them less these days now that VY is gone. I think I hate the Saints because Brees cost me my FB superbowl last year.
Oh..and I don't necessarily hate the Cowboys, but not a fan of the fanbase. Had to get into it with a few of them on FB. They can't stand Texans success. Just leave us the fuck alone and worry about your own shit.
You need help son.

Go see a doctor and get your brain right.

I'm loving how awesome the Dolphins' front seven on defense is so far this year.

Miami hasn’t allowed a 100-yard performance by a rusher for 19 consecutive games, the longest such active streak in the league.

The Dolphins are allowing a 26-percent conversion rate [on third downs], second-best in the league, which their offense appreciates.
So good.

eznark

Banned
I have to admit, the GB implosion caught me off guard this season. I expected the Vikings and Lions to have mediocre seasons with the bears and Packers taking the lead. But the Vikings offense has looked stellar so far, while the Packers look just plain lost.

Let's not get too carried away.

Vikings opponents:
Jaguars
Colts
49ers
Lions
Titans

Packers opponents:
49ers
Bears
Seahawks

Saints
Colts

The Packers have played three of the best defenses in football, while the Vikings ahve only played one team that is good on any side of the football.

Yeah, the Packers are shitty-to-mediocre but I don't know if I'd quite go crowning the Vikings yet. They look a whole lot like the Bengals from the last few years to me.

Rex Ryan: "Yeah, no question" when asked if Mark Sanchez is still his starter as per PFT.

Keep the Tebow dream alive, Jets fans!

jmdajr said:
Oh..and I don't necessarily hate the Cowboys Team
Allow me to reiterate bionic's words of knowledge:

You need help son.

Go see a doctor and get your brain right.

squicken

Bionic if I were you I would use the falcons now. As the year goes on you can just pick against bad teams. You really only have to save selections if you are in a league with lots of people

eznark

Banned
That "stellar" Vikings offense is also ranked 14th in points and 21st in yards despite having played only one team with a defense this season.

bionic77

Bionic if I were you I would use the falcons now. As the year goes on you can just pick against bad teams. You really only have to save selections if you are in a league with lots of people
Yeah Atlanta seems like a no brainer, but sometimes there are no good choices. The game against Oakland at home seems like a perfect game for them to look ahead and not take them seriously. Add that plus a few flukes and two good plays from Palmer and I could see the upset. I don't expect it to happen but in elimination you have to pick the least bad option.

Maybe I do. Admitting you need help is the first step to recovery right?
That is correct.

The next step is watching 5 straight hours of Tebow YT clips (half of which must involve him training or without his shirt).

see5harp

He played against a CFL team in the Bills

The same Bills who made Sanchez look like a HOF Quarterback

Seriously, some of you SF fans are delusional

Talk all this shit about how they have a great team, yet have nothing to fucking show for it
You were relevant when you had a Mormon as your QB and a WR who is more famous as a winner of Dancing with the Stars, than his career

Please until your team can prove us haters wrong, we going to hate, get that ring, our mouths shut up to a degree, until then fair game

Great teams overcome, you can go bu.. bu.. Rookie fumbled gave Giants win, what are you gonna do?... Maybe play like the history of your goddamn team and eviscerate them, so they have no chance of coming back
Until then the blue collar Alexis is still in training bras working her way up

Okay the 49ers are not a good team now or when Steve Young was playing. What? I hate the elite tag that they try and hold over guys like Eli but I'm not even asking for that. It's clear that the 49ers are going to win with their rushing game and defense, same as it's been since last year. Alex throws 30 times in game if he's lucky and gets little to no pressure. It's not his job to air it out over and over to try and get back into a game if they are in control and it's a close game. I don't think that's a fault. Suck his dick.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
That "stellar" Vikings offense is also ranked 14th in points and 21st in yards despite having played only one team with a defense this season.
Let's not forget they're the Vikings. They only build up hope to rip the guts out of their fanbase year after year.

squicken

Yeah Atlanta seems like a no brainer, but sometimes there are no good choices. The game against Oakland at home seems like a perfect game for them to look ahead and not take them seriously. Add that plus a few flukes and two good plays from Palmer and I could see the upset. I don't expect it to happen but in elimination you have to pick the least bad option.

That is correct.

The next step is watching 5 straight hours of Tebow YT clips (half of which must involve him training or without his shirt).

I think we are getting to the point of the season where teams start imploding. Cleveland, Jax, Jets, Panthers and Buffalo seem most likely. Lions, Cowboys, and even AZ are possibilities. Gonna be lots of tanking teams to soon pick against

Edit. Forgot titans and saints

MechDX

JJ Watt is the #1 search on Yahoo.

a7draftpg-vertical.jpg

:jnc

Definitely irrational fear, but can you blame me?

Remember what Carson Palmer did against our defense? We have no Woodley and no Troy. Tomlin is thinking of benching Mundy so that is a plus, but if the Titans are smart and double Harrison where is the pressure going to come from?

I should have more confidence in our offense to shred that shit defense, but things get hairy when your defense is as bad as ours.

Nope, don't blame you, not after the Raiders game. I'm hoping Harrison starts getting his groove back and thus Timmons keeps playing inspired. Other than that, I don't know. Maybe Worilds or Carter will finally get their big boy pants on. As for the secondary, if Mundy doesn't go, who do they play, Will Allen? I think the other guy on the depth chart is a rookie....OK, now you're worrying me.

jergrah

OH MY GOD. Whoever created this anti-Ireland video is GENIUS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPAsHpUEkYs&feature=player_embedded

Good stuff --- especially the fact that most is based around Feinga.

As a long time Fins fan, I certainly dont care for Ireland. But no matter how much I hate him, he is still a more competent GM than Mueller was -- but thats not saying much. Far too many misses than hits, but I actually liked the following moves:
- Trading Marshall: Compensation wasnt much, but to bring in a rookie QB, Marshall would only fuck that up
- Trading Vontae: They knew they werent going to resign him. He's never played to potential and missed quite a few games due to injury
- Drafting Hartline, Reshad Jones, Tannehill
- Trading for Bush for cheap

Of course I could list about 100 moves he's made that I hated.

If Miami finished .500, I think he's back next year.

bionic77

Nope, don't blame you, not after the Raiders game. I'm hoping Harrison starts getting his groove back and thus Timmons keeps playing inspired. Other than that, I don't know. Maybe Worilds or Carter will finally get their big boy pants on. As for the secondary, if Mundy doesn't go, who do they play, Will Allen? I think the other guy on the depth chart is a rookie....OK, now you're worrying me.
I think they are going to use Allen. He can't be any worse!

Smokey

ESPN Power Rankings Week 6
http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

1 Texans
2 Falcons
3 49ers
4 Ravens
5 Patriots
6 Bears
7 Giants
8 Vikings
9 Cardinals
10 Steelers
11 Eagles
12 Packers
13 Cowboys
14 Chargers
15 Bengals
16 Seahawks
17 Broncos
18 Rams
19 Dolphins
20 Lions
21 Redskins
22 Colts
23 Buccaneers
24 Saints
25 Jets
26 Panthers
27 Bills
28 Titans
29 Raiders
30 Chiefs
31 Jaguars
32 Browns

Clayton on Jags said:
Instead of putting a tarp on empty seats, how about putting a tarp over the team? (Clayton)

burn

effzee

I think a lot of what ails Vick can be placed on Reid. The Eagles are a really talented team. If they had better coaches I think we would see less mistakes and turnovers. I mean everyone knows now that Vick sucks out of the shotgun and has problems picking up the blitz. A good coach would try to disguise that weakness or plan around it, but Reid just keeps doing the same thing over and over again. I also think Vick has lost a step so if he is going to make it he is going to have to rely on his brain and arm.

This is where I am. I like Vick and was with the move to take him over Kolb. But I won't make any excuses. He is completely brain dead. If at this point he still doesn't get it then its pointless. If he still doesn't know how to slide, protect the ball (I care much more about the fumbles than I do about the INTs), and just play smart than you have two options as a coach

1. Bench him

2. Or scheme around his weaknesses

Reid is in no position to go to a back up rookie QB. After the 8-8 season, the money invested in key players and positions, and the expectations after 13 seasons, Reid has to win now. The owner said as much. Another 8-8 season or not making the playoffs means Reid is fired.

So you have to stick with Vick. You have to recognize that the OLINE isn't great, Vick doesn't recognize blitzes, and Vick is injury and TO prone. But you also know as a coach that your best option on offense is McCoy who doesn't even need the best run blocking to make plays.

At some point you have to swallow your pride and change the offensive game plan. There is absolutely no fucking reason that on first and goal from the 3 yard line the call should be a shotgun QB draw. When you know the risk with Vick running around. The health and turnovers, there is no reason. Give the ball to McCoy and let him run it up the middle 3 times in a row. Even if he doesn't get it, you at least settle for a FG.

Reid is way too stubborn to ever change and he if he doesn't I hope it finally costs him his job. The Steelers game can be easily blamed on Vick but after a terrible first half he had a strong 2nd half. A little too late but I can also make the case that outside of the Cards and Browns games (and even in the Browns game Vick led a comeback drive), Vick has played good but not great. He certainly put the team in position to win against the Steelers. The defense had 6 minutes to stop Ben and the offense and failed over and over.

Something has to give. D is playing solid but has very little sacks and the Eagles are barely forcing any turnovers. None against the Cards, one Eli INT against the Giants, and again none against the Steelers. For this team to work the D has to do more. What happened to the sack production?

Might overstating it but I do believe this game against the Lions is pivotal. They have to win going into the bye. Right after the bye they play the Falcons in Philly and then NO in NO. Even though the Saints are 1-4 they are better than their record and I honestly see both the Falcons and Saints games as losses. They have to beat the Lions to even compete for the division.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So here's hoping that the Jags and Chiefs miss out on a top QB in the draft and have no choice but to give us the farm to move up to draft Geno or Barkley...

Skol Vikings!

I really hope Harrison Smith continues to play well. With any luck he will get some attention after his ejection. He deserves to be in consideration for DROTY.

eznark

Banned
No. Not the cause for our issues imo

Why do you say that? Genuinely curious. I've been rolling it around in my noggin' for weeks now and can't conclusively say. His role was more as a schemer/scouter/planner than a game day caller and I'm not positive the Packers have had bad game plans, they've just executed for shit.

Then I remember Seattle in the first half, clearly awful planning. But this week in Indy? Came out guns blazing.

I don't think we have enough info.

Steelers will crush the Titans. Two touchdown win at least.

Why do you say that? Genuinely curious. I've been rolling it around in my noggin' for weeks now and can't conclusively say. His role was more as a schemer/scouter/planner than a game day caller and I'm not positive the Packers have had bad game plans, they've just executed for shit.

Then I remember Seattle in the first half, clearly awful planning. But this week in Indy? Came out guns blazing.

I don't think we have enough info.

I think it's him. your personnel is largely the same. He seems to be the only thing missing.

Also, just a few season's back I got the impression that McCarthy was a bumbler. Not a bad coach, but a guy that doesn't handle details well. 2011 comes up and all of a sudden the guy is brutally efficient, doesn't make a mistake, doesn't miss a beat. It just seemed weird is all.

Philbin seems like the no nonsense, devil's-in-the-details guy.

Hunter S.

So here's hoping that the Jags and Chiefs miss out on a top QB in the draft and have no choice but to give us the farm to move up to draft Geno or Barkley...

It is something to hope for, but truthfully the top QB prospects do not pan out to be great QBs most of the time. Weeden is actually doing about as good as Luck and RG3. The team shouwed build around Weeden because he has some time to prove himself as the browns future.

The Broncos drafted Cutler as the #3 QB when they got him and all he turned out to be was an interception champion with a bad temper.

Top Bottom