• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Striker

KKEN1WM.gif

If they throw Wentz out there week 1 it's going to be a disaster. Dude needs a few years on the bench to adjust to the speed of the NFL.

There's absolutely no reason for the Rams to have him starting week one when we have Keenum outside of meddling from Kroenke. Which wouldn't be surprising...

I honestly think we're going to get a weird situation where the Rams branding and worldwide exposure is the greatest in the NFL while the team itself continues to be trash because Kroenke is a bad owner.

Godslay

Banned
You don't give up 6 picks for a guy to sit on the bench.

Yeah, he's going to have to do it on the fly.

I think Wentz can adapt. He's smart enough to be able to read what most teams will throw at him.

The problem is, there is always the learning curve no matter how capable you are. It takes time for your experiences to turn into skill. What I think they should hope for is either a decent game manager style year to begin with, or a more stat heavy season with a lot of mistakes.

You definitely don't want a season where you are like, "Oh shit, this guy can't do the job it's too obvious".

Yeah, he's going to have to do it on the fly.

I think Wentz can adapt. He's smart enough to be able to read what most teams will throw at him.

The problem is, there is always the learning curve no matter how capable you are. It takes time for your experiences to turn into skill. What I think they should hope for is either a decent game manager style year to begin with, or a more stat heavy season with a lot of mistakes.

You definitely don't want a season where you are like, "Oh shit, this guy can't do the job it's too obvious".

Agreed. I think if he can do what Carr did in 2014, he'll be fine.

I'm not sure why people think Goff can step in right away and adjust faster than Wentz. There's gonna be a big learning curve and adjustment for both guys.

I'm pretty sure I've snapped my face before. Guys in Shirtless draft have definitely seen me

I need to be like Gregory and Deutsch and find out how to manipulate the filters tho

What you call me:(?!

The Shirtless video draft is one of my favorite days of the year.

I'm now worthy

I'm sure you have. I have just never seen your face.

Dutch is pretty good at adding all that pizzazz to the snaps.

Thank you friend.

Godslay

Banned
Agreed. I think if he can do what Carr did in 2014, he'll be fine.

I'm not sure why people think Goff can step in right away and adjust faster than Wentz. There's gonna be a big learning curve and adjustment for both guys.

The good thing with the Rams is that the defense can cover some of the warts. So it would probably be best to bring the pot to a slow boil with whatever QB they decide to go with.

I think there is something to be said about bringing a guy along like that. It seems to work.

You don't give up 6 picks and not do whatever you have to to best develop the player. If that means bench, so be it.

In an ideal world sure. The guy behind the #1 pick has to be head and shoulders better, because otherwise that rookie high investment is not getting the experience that he needs and should get.

NOOOO!!!!

2016 NFL AFC Wildcard: Red Rocket eliminates Houston Brockets

Ok everyone, sorry that it's taking me so long, but I'm driving and real life decide to distract me from actually posting so I'm going to do a quick write-up

With the 2nd pick in the Draft. The Cleveland Browns select Jared Goff, QB from the University of Cal.

Now personally, I think the Browns will trade down because Wentz is not available and I don't know if they are that sold on Jared. But for now, they'll take Jared Goff who will lead Cleveland to the Promised Land.

He's got good size. But needs to bulk up and has decent arm strength and vision and works through progressions and not just quick to dump off to the hot read.

He isn't as accurate from deep as other QBs and has played in the Spread rather than a pro style offense. But he performed well and set dozens of school records and I think Hue will develop him on the bench while RG3 hopefully stays healthy and might surprise us with a new version of himself somehow.

Anyway.. That's it.
Hope I made you proud BG.

In an ideal world sure. The guy behind the #1 pick has to be head and shoulders better, because otherwise that rookie high investment is not getting the experience that he needs and should get.

There are a lot of things in QB development that can get set back if you put them in too early. Lots of mechanical things that need to become second nature before you get distracted by game situations in which you can reinforce bad habits. Then there's confidence in your throws and timing with pro level receivers and such. If the guy needs to ride the bench to get that in order then it's for the best. Blindly throwing them in if they're not ready can make development go backwards.

Bread

Banned
I'm here

With the 3rd pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, my San Diego Chargers select the next Deion Sanders, the next Malcolm Hero Butler, DB Jalen Ramsey.

My Chargers need a playmaker to replace old friend Eric Waddle. Ramsey should provide ball hawking skills and leadership. Bolt up or something I don't know what do we say? Save our bolts!

There are a lot of things in QB development that can get set back if you put them in too early. Lots of mechanical things that need to become second nature before you get distracted by game situations in which you can reinforce bad habits. Then there's confidence in your throws and timing with pro level receivers and such. If the guy needs to ride the bench to get that in order then it's for the best. Blindly throwing them in if they're not ready can make development go backwards.

Again, no team is gonna trade 6 picks for a guy that is gonna ride the bench and develop. It just doesn't happen, that would be insane.

But if this is a conversation about developing QBs, there's really not any evidence that suggests they develop better on the bench, vs in-game experience.

Recent example, Brock Osweiler, played pretty much like a rookie after sitting for 4 years behind a HOF QB.

Bitanator

Wentz's coach said he hoped wherever he goes he could sit for awhile, Go to the rams or browns and ruin his development by getting tossed to the lions.

Goff is the better pick for the Rams since they need a day one starter, I'm assuming RG3 would start the season and be replaced by Wentz if he were the browns choice.

Beach

Rankins
Hargreaves
Elliot

Top 3 in order if the Raider pick happens when I'm not on

OfficerRob, MRSA and etc can chip in too

Will have a writeup for the official pick if needed

I'm contesting the last pick based on newly discovered evidence that Bread is in fact a Pats fan, and thus barred from any first round selection for cheating.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Again, no team is gonna trade 6 picks for a guy that is gonna ride the bench and develop. It just doesn't happen, that would be insane.

But if this is a conversation about developing QBs, there's really not any evidence that suggests they develop better on the bench, vs in-game experience.

Recent example, Brock Osweiler, played pretty much like a rookie after sitting for 4 years behind a HOF QB.
How many picks did the Giants trade for Eli? This era of forcing qbs to start is killing some careers. Confidence can play a factor in these things. Getting your ass kicked for a year may help you develop as a player but forever make you gun shy.

And Brock got zero practice reps because Peyton didn't let him have any. For me, it comes down to managing expectations. Don't hand the guy anything. If he wins the job, great. If he doesn't, let him learn from behind a clipboard. It's not like the Rams are doing shit next year, anyway.

Hindl

Where did Bread do this?

I'm here

With the 3rd pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, my San Diego Chargers select the next Deion Sanders, the next Malcolm Hero Butler, DB Jalen Ramsey.

My Chargers need a playmaker to replace old friend Eric Waddle. Ramsey should provide ball hawking skills and leadership. Bolt up or something I don't know what do we say? Save our bolts!

Top Bottom