• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Farooq

Banned
Internal discussions at Valley Ranch are ongoing (via neogaf PMs, like all the NFL execs do). It is hard figuring out what they would do if Tunsil is on the board and there is no trade down option.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Fan mock up. Has the "D-texan" logo. Guy does a lot of cool fan mock ups

The colors, aesthetically, are not bad but I hate any idea of using Oilers colors

Oiler colors are odd and an interesting gamble by the ownership. That said, can't think of many other similar situations where people would hate their former colors. Charlotte seemed to love the Hornets coming back!

Rankins
Hargreaves
Elliot

Top 3 in order if the Raider pick happens when I'm not on

OfficerRob, MRSA and etc can chip in too

Will have a writeup for the official pick if needed

I'm fine with that. I'd probably go

Jack (if he falls, I'd still gamble on his knee, doubt Reggie would)
Elliot
Rankins
Conklin

MechDX

Oiler colors are odd and an interesting gamble by the ownership. That said, can't think of many other similar situations where people would hate their former colors. Charlotte seemed to love the Hornets coming back!

That is just it. McNair himself has stated many times the Texans have nothing to do with the Oilers. He has distanced his team any way possible from this.

Only way I see this as the league convinced McNair that this is Houston "football history". In that case use Houston Gambler colors.

0400c0ffabc1f5aad8ae58de704eaf8c.jpg

slabrock

Banned
Dallas's line would be scary with Tunsil but seems like it might be overkill. If Jack's knee wasn't bad he would be a good fit in Dallas I think.

RBH

zz00ngfmztbiyzixnge2ymmwodlmzdkwnjfjztfkogmzmq-e1453475475590.jpeg

I think the Browns have thought seriously—internally—about bypassing a quarterback in the first round, with the second overall pick. This is because of a couple of things: They’re high on Robert Griffin III, and they’re not sure they want to pick an heir to the quarterback job before giving Griffin a legit chance to win said job. Plus, Hue Jackson is confident he can pick a good quarterback atop the second round as well, whether it be Connor Cook or another one from the bargain bin of this year’s quarterback crop.
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/17/jj-watt-houston-texans-injury-nfl-future-retirement-peter-king

RBH

titans-1024x570.jpg

One of the most consequential NFL trades of the last few years was hatched thanks to ... secret trips to the bathroom?

According to Los Angeles Rams general manager Les Snead, his team shared an adjacent suite with the Titans at the scouting combine this year and the pair pretended to hit the restroom at the same time to talk about a deal for the No. 1 pick.

"It was easy for Jon (Robinson) and I to sneak out the back of the suite there, and act like we were going to the restroom, and then chat about the pick," Snead said, via the team's official site.

Snead was focused on the Titans because there was a great deal of uncertainty with the team picking No. 2 (the Browns).

"I did talk to people in the top five, but they're good buddies of mine, so ... on the long commute here (to Oxnard), I've got to have something to do," Snead said. "But I think we focused in on (No.) 1, because you didn't know what was going to happen at 2. And, hey, if you want something, go get it."

Snead's anecdote confirms that some level of conniving still exists in the NFL. Even though the sport has moved away from its Wild West days, there is still a need to sneak out to the bathroom with another general manager to talk about swinging a deal that will throttle draft boards for just about every team in the top 15. However, we wonder why, with the advent of cell phones, this was an absolute necessity. Maybe this gives momentum to the theory that this is still a people business -- you need to read facial expressions and tone just as much as anything.

Enterprising reporters would do well to stake out the restrooms next year in Indianapolis.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...tans-hatched-trade-over-secret-bathroom-trips

Let's face it, there is only one player left worth the 4th overall pick.

The Cowboys select Laremy Tunsil, OT from Ole Miss.

There was discussion amongst Cowboys-GAF about Bosa and Zeke, but in the end neither were deemed worthy of such a high pick. There are reports the FO aren't fans of Bosa, and it's pretty clear that they don't have a lot of confidence in Myles Jack's knee.

Tunsil is 6'5", extremely athletic and widely regarded as the all-around best player in the draft. While the Cowboys obviously have no pressing need at OLine right now, Tunsil could significantly lower their cap hit in the coming future when their current studs' contracts come up.

There's also the possibility that Tunsil could be packaged in some sort of trade deal.

Either way, worst case scenario the Cowboys have one of the most dominant OLines of all time secured for years to come.

I'mokaywiththis.gif

That would actually be a good plan. We aren't going to do much this year anyway. Draft The best players you can and try to get RG3 some help if you believe in that strongly. Worst case, he is what he was in Washington.. Best case, we have a good qb for a few seasons and have enough pieces around a new qb that he won't have to be a superman.

That's what good teams do so don't get your hopes up, the Dolphins have been failing tannehill in one way or another for 5 years now.

Farooq

Banned
That's pretty much how I feel. Still Tunsil is too good to pass up.

Would they draft Bosa if they do not like him as reported? Nope.

Would they draft Zeke over Tunsil? A little harder question to answer, but they are an FO that doesn't prioritize the RB position. They treat RBs like they they treat 1-techs.

In this scenario a trade down is more likely. If they cannot trade down, Tunsil is too good to pass up, like you said.

Fantomex

O2JBPs4.jpg

1. Carson Wentz -QB- Los Angeles Rams

Super Bowl Winning Quarterbacks in the last 15 years.
2000 Kurt Warner
2001 Trent Dilfer
2002 Tom Brady
2003 Brad Johnson
2004 Tom Brady
2005 Tom Brady
2006 Ben Roethlisberger
2007 Peyton Manning
2008 Eli Manning
2009 Ben Roethlisberger
2010 Drew Brees
2011 Aaron Rodgers
2012 Eli Manning
2013 Joe Flacco
2014 Russell Wilson
2015 Tom Brady
2016 Peyton Manning

First 2 Quarterbacks drafted in the last 15 years
2000 C.Pennington, G Carmazzi
2001 M Vick, D Brees
2002 D Carr, J Harrington
2003 C Palmer, B Leftwich
2004 E Manning, P Rivers
2005 A Smith, A Rodgers
2006 V Young, M Leinart
2007 Ja Russell, B Quinn
2008 M Ryan, J Flacco
2009 M Stafford, M Sanchez
2010 S Bradford, T Tebow
2011 C Newton, J Locker
2012 A Luck, RGIII
2013 EJ Manuel, G Smith
2014 B Bortles, J Manziel
2015 J Winston, M Mariotta

One thing is for sure, you win a Super Bowl by either having a Franchise Quarterback, or having a serviceable Quarterback with a Top 5 Defense. The Rams are taking a chance on getting their Franchise Quarterback, and betting the farm on it. -me

With the first pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, The Los Angeles Rams select Carston Wentz from the University of North Dakota State. A two year starter (Hi Tannehill!) who went 20-3. Raised in an under center offense, pro style reads and standard progressions. His lack of big name competition seems to be one of the big knocks. But he has good arm strength, great reads, pocket presence and decent footwork in the pocket. He also possesses great athleticism, doing better in the shuttle than even some Cornerbacks in this years draft combine. Carson Wentz seems to have all the tools to be an NFL starter and learn on the go in 2016. Wether it’s Jon Gruden, Mike Mayock, Ron Jaworski, or Trent Dilfer, they all seem to be head over heels for this guy the more they talk with him, draw up plays and go over film together. Jon Gruden called him “the most NFL ready QB to come out of the draft in years”. Most analysts compare him to Troy Aikman, based on arm strength, pocket presence and footwork. I vehemently disagree on the pocket presence, he seems to be sorely lacking this trait. The Los Angeles Rams now in their new market, hope to make a splash. They have decided to bet big on Wentz, by trading with the Tennesse Titans to move up from #15 to #1 in this years draft. The terms are as follows: Tennessee gets: Rams' first-round pick (2016), two second-round picks (2016) third-round pick (2016), first-round pick (2017), third-round pick (2017).Rams get: Titans' first-overall pick (2016), fourth-round pick (2016), sixth-round pick (2016).

Why not Goff? There are a lot of reasons why one would argue that the Rams should take Goff. Goff had a better level of competition, better accuracy against that competition, and endured a One win season as a freshman to really build up his character. He also seems to be the “safe” bet. He’s a leader, calm under pressure and has excellent pocket presence. Unfortunately, Goff comes from a spread offense, there has not been a franchise QB that comes from that offensive scheme who has translated that to a successful NFL career as a starter. His frame is lanky even after building muscle this off season. His run game is non-existent. His Ceiling is Joe Montana, his potential floor is Akili Smith. When you trade away that many draft picks, you might as well swing for the fences, and not try to just make contact.

P.S. Ramsnation, are we really doing this? Are we going to root for a ginger?

Euron

Dallas's line would be scary with Tunsil but seems like it might be overkill. If Jack's knee wasn't bad he would be a good fit in Dallas I think.
Unusual pick but I definitely understand the argument. And it gets even better for them in cases of injury. They'll still have one of the best OLines ever regardless of anything that might happen during the season.

I guess when you get to my age you'll learn to just accept failure, don't worry friend, hope will only last for so long before the darkness takes over.
Well.. It's the Browns Super Bowl aka the Draft. I hope that things pan out and we have a plan and I inevitably go back to my negative self when I get kicked in the crotch again.

Id love to workout but the Y is closed today :(
You always have your Leafa pillow to work up a sweat

Draft so far:

1. Los Angeles Rams - Carson Wentz - QB - Himynameischris - Wentz has the size and strengths that NFL teams look for in a QB, he's got a big arm and he's athletic too. However on the field he's got a lot of work to do, He's got very sloppy footwork and he'd succeed in an offense that would limit his throws to the short/Intermediate routes, at least until he works on his deep ball accuracy. Surrounded by a strong run game that features Gurly and a good defense might be enough to help Wentz learn on the job.

Fantomex - With the first pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, The Los Angeles Rams select Carston Wentz from the University of North Dakota State. A two year starter (Hi Tannehill!) who went 20-3. Raised in an under center offense, pro style reads and standard progressions. His lack of big name competition seems to be one of the big knocks. But he has good arm strength, great reads, pocket presence and decent footwork in the pocket. He also possesses great athleticism, doing better in the shuttle than even some Cornerbacks in this years draft combine. Carson Wentz seems to have all the tools to be an NFL starter and learn on the go in 2016. Wether it’s Jon Gruden, Mike Mayock, Ron Jaworski, or Trent Dilfer, they all seem to be head over heels for this guy the more they talk with him, draw up plays and go over film together. Jon Gruden called him “the most NFL ready QB to come out of the draft in years”. Most analysts compare him to Troy Aikman, based on arm strength, pocket presence and footwork. I vehemently disagree on the pocket presence, he seems to be sorely lacking this trait. The Los Angeles Rams now in their new market, hope to make a splash. They have decided to bet big on Wentz, by trading with the Tennesse Titans to move up from #15 to #1 in this years draft. The terms are as follows: Tennessee gets: Rams' first-round pick (2016), two second-round picks (2016) third-round pick (2016), first-round pick (2017), third-round pick (2017).Rams get: Titans' first-overall pick (2016), fourth-round pick (2016), sixth-round pick (2016).

2. Cleveland Browns - Jared Goff - QB - FloydtheFathead - With the 2nd pick in the Draft. The Cleveland Browns select Jared Goff, QB from the University of Cal. Now personally, I think the Browns will trade down because Wentz is not available and I don't know if they are that sold on Jared. But for now, they'll take Jared Goff who will lead Cleveland to the Promised Land.

He's got good size. But needs to bulk up and has decent arm strength and vision and works through progressions and not just quick to dump off to the hot read.

He isn't as accurate from deep as other QBs and has played in the Spread rather than a pro style offense. But he performed well and set dozens of school records and I think Hue will develop him on the bench while RG3 hopefully stays healthy and might surprise us with a new version of himself somehow.

3. San Diego Chargers - Jalen Ramsey, DB - Bread - My San Diego Chargers select the next Deion Sanders, the next Malcolm Hero Butler, DB Jalen Ramsey.

My Chargers need a playmaker to replace old friend Eric Waddle. Ramsey should provide ball hawking skills and leadership. Bolt up or something I don't know what do we say? Save our bolts!

4. Dallas Cowboys - Laremy Tunsil, OT - CrocMother - There was discussion amongst Cowboys-GAF about Bosa and Zeke, but in the end neither were deemed worthy of such a high pick. There are reports the FO aren't fans of Bosa, and it's pretty clear that they don't have a lot of confidence in Myles Jack's knee.

Tunsil is 6'5", extremely athletic and widely regarded as the all-around best player in the draft. While the Cowboys obviously have no pressing need at OLine right now, Tunsil could significantly lower their cap hit in the coming future when their current studs' contracts come up.

There's also the possibility that Tunsil could be packaged in some sort of trade deal.

Either way, worst case scenario the Cowboys have one of the most dominant OLines of all time secured for years to come.

Jaguars are on the clock. Team rep has until 7:30pm EST.

The keyword voor the Jacksonville Jaguars this upcoming draft seems to be defence. The team is lacking some talent overall, but with Bortles at the helm, the offense could play well enough that with a good defense they can actually win games and hell, maybe even challenge for the AFC South title.

Looking at the stats, they ranked 31st in overall scoring defence, 29th in defending the pass and 15th in defending the run. They added some bodies on defence, including a rather big one in DT Malik Jackson, the lead actor from Coming to America at CB and Donte Fowler for the first time really joining the team after his injury last year.

Ramsey would probably be ideal, but just as in our draft, I assume he'll be gone before the Jags pick. Thus that leaves us with a few options: Joey Bosa, Myles Jack and DeForest Buckner. At first Jack seemed like no-brainer here, however, the injury news (smokescreens?) with regard to his knee has thrown me a bit of a curveball, so I think they might pass on him, since long-term talent will be crucial for the up-and-coming Jags. This also eliminates Bosa, who looks like a fuck-up waiting to happen. And thus the pick will be:

DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon.

Buckner has the body and potential to become one of the best players in this draft. He has shown dominance in college which in the Jaguars system, next to Fowler and Jackson will boost the pass rushing ability and as a result the entire defensive unit for the Jags.

Updated:

1. Los Angeles Rams - Carson Wentz - QB - Himynameischris - Wentz has the size and strengths that NFL teams look for in a QB, he's got a big arm and he's athletic too. However on the field he's got a lot of work to do, He's got very sloppy footwork and he'd succeed in an offense that would limit his throws to the short/Intermediate routes, at least until he works on his deep ball accuracy. Surrounded by a strong run game that features Gurly and a good defense might be enough to help Wentz learn on the job.

Fantomex - With the first pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, The Los Angeles Rams select Carston Wentz from the University of North Dakota State. A two year starter (Hi Tannehill!) who went 20-3. Raised in an under center offense, pro style reads and standard progressions. His lack of big name competition seems to be one of the big knocks. But he has good arm strength, great reads, pocket presence and decent footwork in the pocket. He also possesses great athleticism, doing better in the shuttle than even some Cornerbacks in this years draft combine. Carson Wentz seems to have all the tools to be an NFL starter and learn on the go in 2016. Wether it’s Jon Gruden, Mike Mayock, Ron Jaworski, or Trent Dilfer, they all seem to be head over heels for this guy the more they talk with him, draw up plays and go over film together. Jon Gruden called him “the most NFL ready QB to come out of the draft in years”. Most analysts compare him to Troy Aikman, based on arm strength, pocket presence and footwork. I vehemently disagree on the pocket presence, he seems to be sorely lacking this trait. The Los Angeles Rams now in their new market, hope to make a splash. They have decided to bet big on Wentz, by trading with the Tennesse Titans to move up from #15 to #1 in this years draft. The terms are as follows: Tennessee gets: Rams' first-round pick (2016), two second-round picks (2016) third-round pick (2016), first-round pick (2017), third-round pick (2017).Rams get: Titans' first-overall pick (2016), fourth-round pick (2016), sixth-round pick (2016).

2. Cleveland Browns - Jared Goff - QB - FloydtheFathead - With the 2nd pick in the Draft. The Cleveland Browns select Jared Goff, QB from the University of Cal. Now personally, I think the Browns will trade down because Wentz is not available and I don't know if they are that sold on Jared. But for now, they'll take Jared Goff who will lead Cleveland to the Promised Land.

He's got good size. But needs to bulk up and has decent arm strength and vision and works through progressions and not just quick to dump off to the hot read.

He isn't as accurate from deep as other QBs and has played in the Spread rather than a pro style offense. But he performed well and set dozens of school records and I think Hue will develop him on the bench while RG3 hopefully stays healthy and might surprise us with a new version of himself somehow.

3. San Diego Chargers - Jalen Ramsey, DB - Bread - My San Diego Chargers select the next Deion Sanders, the next Malcolm Hero Butler, DB Jalen Ramsey.

My Chargers need a playmaker to replace old friend Eric Waddle. Ramsey should provide ball hawking skills and leadership. Bolt up or something I don't know what do we say? Save our bolts!

4. Dallas Cowboys - Laremy Tunsil, OT - CrocMother - There was discussion amongst Cowboys-GAF about Bosa and Zeke, but in the end neither were deemed worthy of such a high pick. There are reports the FO aren't fans of Bosa, and it's pretty clear that they don't have a lot of confidence in Myles Jack's knee.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars - DeForest Buckner, DE - Dutch Patriot - The keyword voor the Jacksonville Jaguars this upcoming draft seems to be defence. The team is lacking some talent overall, but with Bortles at the helm, the offense could play well enough that with a good defense they can actually win games and hell, maybe even challenge for the AFC South title.

Looking at the stats, they ranked 31st in overall scoring defence, 29th in defending the pass and 15th in defending the run. They added some bodies on defence, including a rather big one in DT Malik Jackson, the lead actor from Coming to America at CB and Donte Fowler for the first time really joining the team after his injury last year.

Ramsey would probably be ideal, but just as in our draft, I assume he'll be gone before the Jags pick. Thus that leaves us with a few options: Joey Bosa, Myles Jack and DeForest Buckner. At first Jack seemed like no-brainer here, however, the injury news (smokescreens?) with regard to his knee has thrown me a bit of a curveball, so I think they might pass on him, since long-term talent will be crucial for the up-and-coming Jags. This also eliminates Bosa, who looks like a fuck-up waiting to happen.

The Baltimore Ravens are on the clock. The team rep has until 8pm EST.

MechDX

Paper, it was my pleasure working with you. Now it's time to go back to Sata...I mean the Patriots.

Sorry Dutch. Once you go Jag you never truly leave like Gata. :(

NFLTradeRumors.co ‏@nfltrade_rumors 4m4 minutes ago
Dolphins Claim DT Chris Jones Off Waivers From Patriots http://bit.ly/1Sh8V8V
#Dolphins #NFL

Former Patriot and Texan Chris Jones to Miami. Henceforth the Miami franchise shall be known as Pats South East

Draxal

The keyword voor the Jacksonville Jaguars this upcoming draft seems to be defence. The team is lacking some talent overall, but with Bortles at the helm, the offense could play well enough that with a good defense they can actually win games and hell, maybe even challenge for the AFC South title.

Ramsey would probably be ideal, but just as in our draft, I assume he'll be gone before the Jags pick. Thus that leaves us with a few options: Joey Bosa, Myles Jack and DeForest Buckner. At first Jack seemed like no-brainer here, however, the injury news (smokescreens?) with regard to his knee has thrown me a bit of a curveball, so I think they might pass on him, since long-term talent will be crucial for the up-and-coming Jags. This also eliminates Bosa, who looks like a fuck-up waiting to happen. And thus the pick will be:

DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon.

Buckner has the body and potential to become one of the best players in this draft. He has shown dominance in college which in the Jaguars system, next to Fowler and Jackson will boost the pass rushing ability and as a result the entire defensive unit for the Jags.

I'm really sad you didn't draft Arjen Robben.

Top Bottom