• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT2| - I Mean Look What Our Teams Did For Us!

Do nothing vacations are the best.

One would think being on vacation all the time would be amazing but most of you all are bum ass bums here and none of you seem to be too happy so maybe no one is happy for very long.

I was king of the do nothing lifestyle for about 4 years. It's boring and depressing. It'd probably be different if I was financially set and able to do anything I wanted, but the "just sit at home and play video games" shit isn't half as fun as it sounds when it's actually your lifestyle tbh.

That being said, my staycation last year was the best week I've had since I started working lol.

I can kinda see where you're coming from.

I think where we'll have to agree to disagree is that a mostly complete team like Houston (or Denver when they took Lynch) should absolutely be reaching for a quarterback more than other teams that maybe aren't as complete. Like nobody is looking at Cleveland (or frankly Buffalo when they took EJ Manuel) and thinking they're a quarterback away from competing. So I agree there that the smart and ideal thing would be to build the core unless there's a guy in the draft that looks amazing.

The thing is that all Houston needs is mediocre quarterback play to compete. I don't remember where Denver is at these days but if their defense resembles what it did a few years ago, then they also only need mediocre.

The problem is that quarterbacks are overvalued (and I get that's partially your point and that it shouldn't be that way). But the reality is that most GMs in the league will take an above average QB over an elite player of any other position if there's a serious QB need. Plus young new quarterbacks envigorate the franchise, put asses in the seats, and sell merchandise - so Jerry Jones saw a lot of dollar signs looking at Manziel also.

What really doesn't help things is when the scouts and pundits get some quarterbacks all wrong. That's how you end up with the Dak Prescotts and Russell Wilsons. So GMs get buyers remorse thinking they could have had them and are probably more apt to reach for a QB in the future.

You can't just dip your hand into the QB draft pool because you're a playoff caliber team without one... by the time pretty much any rookie QB actually develops you won't have anywhere near that amount of talent left that you had when you drafted him. That's why teams that hit on a 3rd+ round QB pick do so well, they didn't have to force it and had a solid team around him. If you're "a QB away" there's never, ever going to be a QB in the draft that you can grab and expect to push you to the super bowl that same year. If you're supremely lucky he could push you there in Year 2, but even that's incredibly unlikely. And by year 3, the talent you had is likely totally sapped unless you drafted incredibly well the past few years.

QB doesn't necessarily have to be the BPA when you draft one, but if he isn't DAMN close then you're probably screwing yourself over supremely in the long term. I mean, look at the Broncos last year. They would have benefitted WAY more from taking a space eating DT at 26 like Nkemdiche or Kenny Clark than a QB who wasn't exactly a top prospect. Or had they picked Ifeldi they may have shored up their O Line enough to let their offense get more done.

Had they just selected an impact player in round 1, they would have been very likely to have made the playoffs last year. Instead they fell apart in the second half of the season and missed the playoffs, all for a QB who honestly doesn't look any better than the 2nd year 7th rounder they got from the year before.

Maybe Paxton becomes a franchise QB, maybe not. But if he ever takes Denver to a Super Bowl, you can almost guarantee there won't be more than a Trump sized handful of players still around from their 2015 team. That Broncos team was NOT a draftable QB away from a SB. They were a developed or veteran FA QB away from a super bowl (and a gaggle of offensive linemen away).

That's not to say DONT draft a QB... but you can't draft one and expect them to be the "missing piece" of a nearly completed puzzle. Rookie QBs are never that good.

MechDX

Pro Football talk article on Hopkins quote:
zp1GvNM.png

Actual transcript of the quote:
yEF2ZeH.png

Amazing!

Duxxy3

Earned it. Lewis got injured and White made it impossible to get the job back last year.

Lewis is going to have to fight off DJ Foster and whomever the Patriots take last in the draft (or more likely UDFA) just for a spot on the team.

Assuming the Bills don't match (I don't think they will).

Raiders cut DT Dan Williams, he likely showed up overweight again. Raiders save 4.5 mil this year, 5 miilion next year, with no dead money

Co signed.
Thanks for outing yourself Slobs. Reported.
18m
Marc Sessler‏ @MarcSesslerNFL
I'm tempered & lost as a Browns fan, but the hopeful/illogical spirit in me that fell for Cleveland in '86 hears two words: Patrick Mahomes.

LA‏ @TheRealLA__
Replying to @MarcSesslerNFL
/ I feel the same way, just see that potential and after living through all these QBS that have passed through CLE, its time

Pro Football Focus‏ @PFF
With the 12th pick in the #PFFMock...
The Cleveland Browns (@PFF_JohnKosko) select Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech
🤔🤔🤔

Top Bottom