• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Draft 2015 |OT| With the First Pick in the 2015 NFL Draft…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duxxy3

So apparently Lael Collins will be unable to reenter the draft next season. Will be quite the priority free agent. Jerrah pls

The only thing he can do is take a UDFA contract for a year and play himself into a longer term contract next year. That's assuming he didn't kill his ex, which I honestly don't believe he did.

Probably have a better idea monday. He'll have his pick of teams after that.

cashman

Banned
How do you feel about the draft overall?

I think they did alright. Obviously it would be silly to make a definitive statement, but I am pretty satisfied with how they conducted themselves and how they drafted. Team addressed their needs while staying true to their board, and rounded out their roster on day 3.

I'm pretty pleased overall. Maybe it's just the baseball fan in me, but I like the fact that they targeted guys with lots of tools and high ceilings which indicates a certain amoun of trust in the coaching staff to make these guys hit. I would have liked an RB of course because Randle has his issues and Williams and McFadden are medical concerns but once Coleman was gone there wasn't anybody worth taking. Hopefully they can get a guy like Brown or Zenner in to add some more competition.

LevelNth

Banned
I'll help with this in terms of needs:

OL > CB > WR >>>> all others

So, yeah...
What if those aren't our needs?

we reached on all of the picks.

compared to Baalke's previous years where we got good value of best players available falling to us.

I don't think we are in a situation to reach like that.

I don't trust Wilhoite to tackle consistently.

and I wanted a true burner to take the top off a defense, to back up Torrey Smith.

Seattle continues to add Speed... Pittsburgh continues to add speed. We on the other hand are drafting backup TEs to our Back up TEs....and Punters in the 5th round.

I do like the Smelter pick, but he isn't playing this year.
Based on?

And you'd trust a rookie with no NFL experience over Wilhoite who played well beside a rookie last season because reasons?

You act like rookies will be no fail fixes based on mocks made by guys who don't scout then disregard current players for no reason after a season in which a coach failed spectacularly to move our offensive scheme and progression forward despite having the most talent he'd had in four years?

Farooq

Banned
I'm pretty pleased overall. Maybe it's just the baseball fan in me, but I like the fact that they targeted guys with lots of tools and high ceilings which indicates a certain amount of trust in the coaching staff to make these guys hit. I would have liked an RB of course because Randle has his issues and Williams and McFadden are medical concerns but once Coleman was gone there wasn't anybody worth taking. Hopefully they can get a guy like Brown or Zenner in to add some more competition.

I agree with everything you have said.

I'd imagine they are working pretty hard now on getting those UDFAs signed. I will be interested to see who emerges from that.

Edit: They have signed a couple backs so far. Thomas Rawls from Central Michigan and Cam McDaniel from Notre Dame.

Edit #2: Thomas Rawls has signed with Seattle, not the Cowboys.

Is there a limit on years/$$$ that Lael Collins can sign for as a UDFA? Like if he waits until he is completely cleared of any wrongdoing can a team sign him for 1st rounder money?

slabrock

Banned
Is there a limit on years/$$$ that Lael Collins can sign for as a UDFA? Like if he waits until he is completely cleared of any wrongdoing can a team sign him for 1st rounder money?

there is a salary cap pool around 80k per team I believe

edit: should be signing bonus cap

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

$75k total allotted cash for signing bonuses to all udfa's, per the cba. Pretty sure the salary is maxed at league minimum.

What if those aren't our needs?

Based on?

And you'd trust a rookie with no NFL experience over Wilhoite who played well beside a rookie last season because reasons?

You act like rookies will be no fail fixes based on mocks made by guys who don't scout then disregard current players for no reason after a season in which a coach failed spectacularly to move our offensive scheme and progression forward despite having the most talent he'd had in four years?

we reached on the picks based on where people were predicted to go vs. where we took them. in the long term, "reaching" for a player means nothing. there are tons of high picks every year that are outperformed by lower picks so it maybe a moot point.

but to analyze the draft at this point, right after the draft (which is all we can do right now), this is looking like a terrible draft. again, it's only on paper but there is no other way to judge the draft at this point.

I wonder if he would sue the city....

Well the city and police have said he's not a suspect, right? So it's not like they really did anything wrong. Just a really unfortunate coincidence. If anything it's the NFL's fault for letting such a toxic environment within the league with criminals and miscreants which scares teams out of taking a chance on anybody with even a whiff of baggage.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I have to believe that Collins wasn't talking to teams for the last few days. He should have rented a jet and visited every interested team on bended knee. Either that or go to Baton Rouge and force the issue with the police. Probably both. Just a massive clusterfuck by him and his agent.

why do the police want to talk to him? that would be my concern if i were a GM. if he has no involvement, and there is no evidence that he was involved with this at all, then why are the police looking for him?

Bessy67

Pretty happy with the Packers' draft. We got some help on defense and a weapon or two on offense. The Hundley pick was a head-scratcher to me, but I guess I'll have to trust that the coaching staff can turn him into a QB that will fetch higher than a 5th round pick in a future trade. I wish they'd tried to find someone who could provide a more immediate impact, but in the 5th round I guess there aren't a lot of those.

Profootballtalk reports LSU G/T La'El Collins "plans to sign with a team after he is cleared."
It's really Collins' only option, so it's not surprising. Collins is meeting with Baton Rouge police on Monday. Assuming that meeting goes the way it's supposed to, he could have an NFL team as early as Monday evening.
Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com May 2 - 7:22 PM
Via roto:

jWILL253

Banned
With Tyler Lockett & Austin Hill, the Seahawks have two Biletnikoff Award nominees on the training camp roster, one from 2012, and one from last year.

You can tell that the front office is definitely wanting for some consistent receiving talent. If all pans out, this will be one hell of a receiving corp with Graham out there.

cajunator

Banned
We need a guard and hes a pretty damned good one.
I wouldnt mind Saints giving him a shot.
hes right there in baton Rouge anyway.

Really great to see Justin Hardy from my alma mater East Carolina got drafted by the Falcons!

As a Panthers fan it kinda stings but having watched this guy play in college, he's extremely underrated and should do really well in the league. He went from a walk on to three straight 1000 yd seasons + set the FBS record for receptions with 387. So if there's any FalconsGAF on here, you guys got a steal.
He's really good and I'm glad he's out of the American.

But words can't describe my feelings when I saw the look on his face senior night after the UCF Hail Mary.

I can think of 32 teams.

Indeed. Marc Ross for the Giants said that Collins was on their minds the whole way through day 3 but they wanted nothing to do with the situation. No doubt they'll be tripping over everyone else to get a crack at him if he is cleared.

Draxal

Indeed. Marc Ross for the Giants said that Collins was on their minds the whole way through day 3 but they wanted nothing to do with the situation. No doubt they'll be tripping over everyone else to get a crack at him if he is cleared.

We have a decent shot since all of the Tigers we have on our team. Gary Nova is going to attend the UDFA Giants camp, Nova was good in his senior year so I'm rooting for him.

ZaCH3000

Randy Gregory will never amount to anything. The dude has serious mental issues. Waste of a pick. round 3-5 picks for backup players at stacked positions. Jones was on ok-ish pick, but the rest of the draft has been a total grease fire.

Epic success? lmfao. Talk about drinking the kool-aid

Drinking the kool-aid? Guy, you are clamoring for a running back. Get some football knowledge next time.

effzee

We need a guard and hes a pretty damned good one.
I wouldnt mind Saints giving him a shot.
hes right there in baton Rouge anyway.

Eagles need guard help and overall replenishment for o line in the worst way.

Eagles better be ding their hw and looking into signing him. Would be a great pickup.

Pretty happy with the Packers' draft. We got some help on defense and a weapon or two on offense. The Hundley pick was a head-scratcher to me, but I guess I'll have to trust that the coaching staff can turn him into a QB that will fetch higher than a 5th round pick in a future trade. I wish they'd tried to find someone who could provide a more immediate impact, but in the 5th round I guess there aren't a lot of those.
The Hundley pick is clearly following the Ron Wolf school of "see a late round QB you think is useful? Take him".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom