• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRSA

Banned
Why do I keep watching Mad Men? Maybe its because I try to out drink Don Draper. Otherwise the show sucks other than Alison Brie and Christina Hendricks.

Why do I keep watching Mad Men? Maybe its because I try to out drink Don Draper. Otherwise the show sucks other than Alison Brie and Christina Hendricks.
I'm on s4 right now, think it's pretty awesome. You wish you could be as cool as Don, your more Freddy though.

When they are about 4 years old, you'll start to see the light. The first 3 years get progressively easier. The first year is hell. No two ways about it man.

What was the baby up for? Hungry? Diaper?

In honor of the Freeman signing, I just got Taco Bell for lunch.:D
She is usually just up to eat but sometimes it's as simple as her losing her pacifier. Right now we are starting her on baby food and also trying to transition her out of swaddling. My wife does not function well without good sleep so it's been pretty rough at times. I help a lot on the weekends by letting her sleep in as long as she wants but it's hard for me to do much on weeknights and still function at work.

Greg

She is usually just up to eat but sometimes it's as simple as her losing her pacifier. Right now we are starting her on baby food and also trying to transition her out of swaddling. My wife does not function well without good sleep so it's been pretty rough at times. I help a lot on the weekends by letting her sleep in as long as she wants but it's hard for me to do much on weeknights and still function at work.
metal and coffee are your only options

best of luck!

I agree with just general sentiment that he's good but there's nothing that screams "special". But glove is non-issue, like BigAT said. Warner was fine with gloves

To me it's like drafting someone with a handicap that he will have to overcome. And we do see a flutter and inaccuracy on his deep balls, so it could be a factor. Just because Peyton and Warner could do it, doesn't mean he will.

Striker

Certainly not dismissing Freeman as being hot garbage in that game but honestly that was such a ridiculous coaching move that deserves equal blame for throwing the guy out there two days after he joined the team? Maybe three? With little exposure to the playbook.

The Giants are looking for an upgrade over Painter obviously. Freeman in 2012 threw for 4k yards and had 27 TD's so at least there's SOME upside there I suppose? Eli goes down and it won't matter anyways but I /really/ hope Nassib comes along. I don't want a roster space wasted on a third QB.
I would love for Nassib to leapfrog both Freeman and Painter this summer. Really needs to improve and it would be nice to keep two quarterbacks again. Painter is completely useless. Freeman has talent (scarfing tacos) but his work ethic is shit. If he's any way committed to getting better he should have no problems knocking CPaint off the team. That's a plus, I guess.

Since I'm picking for the Redskins I would like to offer DeAngelo hall and Fred Davis to the Browns for their first round pick. The offer comes off the table at midnight tonight.

Current mock draft list of participants stands at:

Texans - MechDX
Raiders - Mackenzie 92
Cardinals - Squall ASF
Rams - Squicken, B For Bendetta
Ravens - BaltimoreLarry, Nakazato, Bolt Vanderhuge
Dolphins - chris.trejo, The_Darkest_Red
Bucs - Syrinx
Jaguars - Tamanon
Giants - BigAT, Futurevoid, Draxal, Striker
Browns - BlackGhost, Wes
Patriots - Colasante, ActStriker, Sanjuro
Eagles - gutshot, yankeehater, jabee
Cowboys - Farooq, cashman
Vikings - Slo
Steelers - DeaconKnowledge, AngmarsKing701
Jets - Fox318
Seahawks - cdyhybrid
Bills - LJ11
Packers - Buckethead
Panthers - Grover Cleveland
Bears - minx88
Saints - cajunator
Falcons - Talon
Lions - Plinko
Niners - Doomsayer, bigosc2k

Drafting in spirit only:
Redskins - Ninja Scooter
Colts - Narag

It's the best show on television where nothing happens.:) Seriously, it's so hard to explain to people why Mad Men is great. It's about soaking in the time period, the characters, etc. and seeing where it takes you. I have plenty of friends that hate it specifically because well...very little actually happens in the way of a continuing storyline. It's just people living their lives in the 60's.

Its pretty normal in the first 5-6 months for her to wake up for feedings. My 2 year old would wake up every three hours for the first three months to drink a bottle. In the fourth and fifth month she would start to sleep 5-6 hours before needing to feed. By the 7th/8th month we started sleep training her. Sleep training can be tough depending on how you choose to do it because if you're going for the cry it out method, you'll have to fight your paternal urge to go soothe your child.

For my wife and I, we did a modified version of that at about month 8. We gave her a bath, put her down for bed at about 8:00pm and she would start to cry about 15 minutes afterwards when she would lose her pacifier. We would let her cry or 5 minutes, then go up and rub her tummy and head and tell her it was ok. We would NOT put the thing back in her mouth nor would we pick her up. Then we'd wait 7 minutes. Do the same thing. Then 10 minutes, then 12 minutes, 15 minutes, etc. Until she fell asleep. She may still wake up during the night and if she does, you would repeat the same thing until she falls back asleep.

The next night you'll notice she falls asleep faster and the next night even faster until finally she doesn't even need you to come in. She will put herself to sleep. Your essentially breaking her of needing whatever it is she is crying about.

That's not for everyone but it worked wonders for us. Abby has slept 12 hours a night (she goes down abot 8-8:30 and wakes up at about 8am) with a 2 hour nap in the afternoon since without fail. I can't emphasize enough that you should NOT be doing this if you're baby is 6 months old or less. Babies NEED food when they are that young. By the time they hit month 7 or so they generally do not have to feed overnight if they get a good bottle before bed but you'll need to gauge that.

effzee

Hey bros, when does having a kid get easier? The baby is five months old now, up five times last night and tossing and turning in between. Doesn't really affect me but it's about to drive my wife insane which obviously does affect me. Sorry for the venting but it's been rough.

Don't say that man! My month and 2 week old is pretty tough right now and by the 5 month mark we are expecting it to be completely different.

We already tried to a sleep training regimen. Change diaper, give him his zantac (reflux problems, massage him with baby lotion, wife feeds him (breast milk exclusively), burp, and then into his co sleeper by 9pm.

He sleeps for a good 2-3 hours but of course needs more milk. It's usually when he wakes up around 4-5am that he doesn't want to go back to bed. He grunts, randomly screams/cries, tosses and turns which keeps us up, and sometimes will be wide awake and just wants to play.

All we have read and been told by other parents is that it gets easier after about 8 weeks (reflux issues get better) and def by the 4th month it gets a lot better. I don't want the same routine 4-5 months from now. Barely getting any sleep.

That is pretty normal. My 2nd is 5 months old too and gets up between 3 and 6 months at night. First child did the same. Breastfed babies especially can digest the milk fast. Solid food will allow them to sleep longer after 6 months but even then they will wake up if the baby is so inclined.

One thing you can try to do is keep them awake for 3+ hours before bedtime.

I wish but with a kid this young he stays awake a total of like 1-1.5 hours a day. Keeping him up for 3 hours would be godly!

Roflobear

For the draft do the Jets still go WR or secondary?

I'm hoping secondary to be honest. I think the addition of Decker is good enough (but not the most ideal) to turn their attention to that still glaring weakness. It's the last area the Jets have't improved that still needs desperate improving

effzee

Chris Johnson signs a two year deal with the New York Jets. Their Chris Ivory/Chris Johnson backfield isn't terrible.

This is a great pick up depending on the money.

Geno's weapons improve tremendously on offense and this is still without the draft.

They should have signed Desean. Would have easily been the 2nd best team in the division with a real shot to make the playoffs.

Don't say that man! My month and 2 week old is pretty tough right now and by the 5 month mark we are expecting it to be completely different.

We already tried to a sleep training regimen. Change diaper, give him his zantac (reflux problems, massage him with baby lotion, wife feeds him (breast milk exclusively), burp, and then into his co sleeper by 9pm.

He sleeps for a good 2-3 hours but of course needs more milk. It's usually when he wakes up around 4-5am that he doesn't want to go back to bed. He grunts, randomly screams/cries, tosses and turns which keeps us up, and sometimes will be wide awake and just wants to play.

All we have read and been told by other parents is that it gets easier after about 8 weeks (reflux issues get better) and def by the 4th month it gets a lot better. I don't want the same routine 4-5 months from now. Barely getting any sleep.

I wish but with a kid this young he stays awake a total of like 1-1.5 hours a day. Keeping him up for 3 hours would be godly!

You'll start getting better sleep about 6 months in as the baby settles into a sleep pattern. Until then sleep when the baby sleeps. If this means a nap at 6pm, do it. Take shifts if you have to.

Right now I have my own dilemma - bed wetting. Trying to wean my 3 year old off diapers. Have never cleaned so many bedsheets in my life.

dionysus

Yaldog

Every kid is different and that is why parental advice doesn't translate very well. But I will say at 5 months old it is pretty normal for a kid to be able to stay awake longer than 1.5 hours a couple of times a day. (Though it is also not uncommon for the other situation.)

It may or may not work of course, but if at 5 months my child was power napping between 1 -1.5 hours of awake time all through the day I would try to introduce 2 periods of activity around late morning and evening to get them to stay awake for a little longer. I'd do this so they start distinguishing awake time during the day from sleep time at night. I wouldn't force the child to remain awake, but try to hold them and move around during those times and avoid things that naturally put children to sleep like car rides.

Its pretty normal in the first 5-6 months for her to wake up for feedings. My 2 year old would wake up every three hours for the first three months to drink a bottle. In the fourth and fifth month she would start to sleep 5-6 hours before needing to feed. By the 7th/8th month we started sleep training her. Sleep training can be tough depending on how you choose to do it because if you're going for the cry it out method, you'll have to fight your paternal urge to go soothe your child.

For my wife and I, we did a modified version of that at about month 8. We gave her a bath, put her down for bed at about 8:00pm and she would start to cry about 15 minutes afterwards when she would lose her pacifier. We would let her cry or 5 minutes, then go up and rub her tummy and head and tell her it was ok. We would NOT put the thing back in her mouth nor would we pick her up. Then we'd wait 7 minutes. Do the same thing. Then 10 minutes, then 12 minutes, 15 minutes, etc. Until she fell asleep. She may still wake up during the night and if she does, you would repeat the same thing until she falls back asleep.

The next night you'll notice she falls asleep faster and the next night even faster until finally she doesn't even need you to come in. She will put herself to sleep. Your essentially breaking her of needing whatever it is she is crying about.

That's not for everyone but it worked wonders for us. Abby has slept 12 hours a night (she goes down abot 8-8:30 and wakes up at about 8am) with a 2 hour nap in the afternoon since without fail. I can't emphasize enough that you should NOT be doing this if you're baby is 6 months old or less. Babies NEED food when they are that young. By the time they hit month 7 or so they generally do not have to feed overnight if they get a good bottle before bed but you'll need to gauge that.
Yeah, we knew what to expect going in as far as the baby waking up to eat but some nights are just randomly a lot worse than others. One night she will wake up twice and sleep soundly in between, the next she will wake up five times and toss and turn all night. She is good at knowing when it's nighttime usually (even when she cries her eyes stay closed and she doesn't really "wake up" very often) but she just seems to be uncomfortable at times. Anyway, we've started cereal and stage one food now so hopefully that will help some.

As for the sleep training I'm not sure exactly what method we'll try but I definitely want to make it a point to train her into a good routine. Your suggestion sounds pretty good, we may end up trying it that way. And trust me, our baby doesn't go hungry, she's 17 pounds 11 ounces and just a few days short of five months old, haha.

Well I'm sure you've heard it a million times but every baby is different. Things have definitely gotten better overall but you still have the occasional night or two that just sucks. Today I went in to work a few hours late just to give my wife a few hours of uninterrupted sleep. I function better on less sleep than she does. Our baby also had reflux issues so we did Zantac for awhile as well but thankfully that seems to have gotten better for the most part. She still spits up some but not as much. I hope things get better for you soon, buddy.

You'll start getting better sleep about 6 months in as the baby settles into a sleep pattern. Until then sleep when the baby sleeps. If this means a nap at 6pm, do it. Take shifts if you have to.

Right now I have my own dilemma - bed wetting. Trying to wean my 3 year old off diapers. Have never cleaned so many bedsheets in my life.
I love this dad-NFL-GAF thing we have going on, haha. Good luck on the no diaper training!

MRSA

Banned
Let this be a lesson to everyone, children are the worst. If you spawn Pats fans you're doing an injustice to society.

So pls, don't conceive.

bionic77

Don't be a weak ass bitch like some Pats fan or perverted Jets fan.

Lack of sleep mans you the fuck up. If you think one is hard try twins with minimal help (we have no family nearby). Did I go crazy? Almost (the jury was out on my wife for the first 6 months).

It is too late for you, but my advice for all parents BEFORE the baby is born is to get into the best shape of your life. You won't have time to workout or take care of yourself for some time after the baby is born so get that shit down before your new baby comes into your family. But you really learn to adapt and it actually makes you that much better at managing your time. I became a lot more productive at work after we had kids because I had to get shit done in a certain amount of time.

As for sleep, it all depends on the kid and if they are sick or not. It is much harder to do, but really try to keep the kid out of your bed. As with everything in parenting it all pays huge dividends later on. Never allow any sick fucks near your baby if you can help it. You will be miserable every time your baby is sick. This doesn't just go for airborne sicknesses like people with colds, also keep all Pat fans and Jordaphiles away from your baby.

The other thing I will recommend is to try and skip baby food as much as possible. Try to mash the food you and your wife (I assuming you are married, but I don't judge people with harems, concubines or in any other type of relationship) eat. Baby food is a lot easier to feed in the beginning, but if you get your kid eating the same exact shit you eat it will make your life so much easier and will save you mucho dollars after they are one and later on. It really develops their sense of taste and will make them less picky. This made it really easy for me and my wife to take our kids to restaurants. Wait until you see your kids eyes the first time they get fried chicken. Every father should get to see this. You won't ever see that reaction from eating baby food.

Also, try to minimize the amount of tv or screens your baby gets to watch. I am a big believer that if you fuck around with too much tv or ipads when you are an infant you are going to develop some Gata tendencies.

Fuck these young uns. Fathers about to take over this thread.

MRSA

Banned
bionic just upset that his earnings are going to a pension that only his wife and his children will see.

You should take solace in knowing that your children if raised correctly, will not be Pats fans.

I'm drinking coffee at 1pm.

#NoTime2Sleep
#FuckThePolice
4pm here and sitting down to a mocha grande at Starbucks.

As for babies, my eldest was the tough one. He had colic and we were constantly awake with him. He needed to be held all the time. Took about 4 months though and things got on a schedule where he was pretty much sleeping through the night. Or it felt that way after the first 4 months of constant attention.

Our youngest was a dream. We got into a pattern where we woke him at midnight (regardless of when he last ate/fell asleep) and fed him. He then slept until 7. Both of us getting 7 hours of sleep every night with a one month old baby was like visiting heaven.

Don't be a weak ass bitch like some Pats fan or perverted Jets fan.

Lack of sleep mans you the fuck up. If you think one is hard try twins with minimal help (we have no family nearby). Did I go crazy? Almost (the jury was out on my wife for the first 6 months).

It is too late for you, but my advice for all parents BEFORE the baby is born is to get into the best shape of your life. You won't have time to workout or take care of yourself for some time after the baby is born so get that shit down before your new baby comes into your family. But you really learn to adapt and it actually makes you that much better at managing your time. I became a lot more productive at work after we had kids because I had to get shit done in a certain amount of time.

As for sleep, it all depends on the kid and if they are sick or not. It is much harder to do, but really try to keep the kid out of your bed. As with everything in parenting it all pays huge dividends later on. Never allow any sick fucks near your baby if you can help it. You will be miserable every time your baby is sick. This doesn't just go for airborne sicknesses like people with colds, also keep all Pat fans and Jordaphiles away from your baby.

The other thing I will recommend is to try and skip baby food as much as possible. Try to mash the food you and your wife (I assuming you are married, but I don't judge people with harems, concubines or in any other type of relationship) eat. Baby food is a lot easier to feed in the beginning, but if you get your kid eating the same exact shit you eat it will make your life so much easier and will save you mucho dollars after they are one and later on. It really develops their sense of taste and will make them less picky. This made it really easy for me and my wife to take our kids to restaurants. Wait until you see your kids eyes the first time they get fried chicken. Every father should get to see this. You won't ever see that reaction from eating baby food.

Also, try to minimize the amount of tv or screens your baby gets to watch. I am a big believer that if you fuck around with too much tv or ipads when you are an infant you are going to develop some Gata tendencies.

Fuck these young uns. Fathers about to take over this thread.
My wife feeds the baby at night during the week since she isn't working so I usually do alright with sleep. I'd say I average about 6 hours a night which is fine for me with some coffee. The problem is making sure she stays happy and doesn't go insane! I help out some on nights when it gets really bad (like last night) but for the most part she is the one doing the work during the night.

I know what you mean about not having family nearby. Our family all lives four hours away so we are completely on our own. It really sucks sometimes!

:jnc at the fried chicken comment, I can't wait for that moment. So far we have made it a point to not let the baby watch TV or any screens until she's at least two but I try not to get on the soapbox about that because it seems like opinions are kind of conflicted on the effects.

Also, the baby never sleeps with us. I'm with you on that.

Agree with bionic on
1. Keep them out of your bed.
2. Feed them real food. My kids eat so much more of a variety than anyone else we know. They were eating linguini with clam sauce when they were little while other parents were cooking chicken nuggets every night.
3. Avoid Pats fans. Like the plague.

One of my coworkers said she just plops her eight-month-old boy down in front of the tv while she does stuff around the apartment. He's addicted to Mickey Mouse and Cat in the Hat now and will get severely upset if he doesn't get to watch it regularly. Really sucks having to resist the urge to tell her she isn't doing the right thing.

My girlfriend and I are talking about kids more and more. I'm done with school in a couple years, and we'd like to start about a year afterward. She makes waaaaaaaaaay more than I do at the moment, and since neither of us can see ourselves switching occupations in the foreseeable future, the mention of being a stay-at-home dad has surfaced. Kinda dampening to my pride, but we do want one of us to be around at all times.

I know what you mean about not having family nearby. Our family all lives four hours away so we are completely on our own. It really sucks sometimes!
My parents live 5 minutes away from me so thats built in babysitting. I don't know what I'd do without it. Both kids sleep over at their grandparents house every other Saturday so those days are fucking godly!

One of my coworkers said she just plops her eight-month-old boy down in front of the tv while she does stuff around the apartment. He's addicted to Mickey Mouse and Cat in the Hat now and will get severely upset if he doesn't get to watch it regularly. Really sucks having to resist the urge to tell her she isn't doing the right thing.
My 7 year old watched very little TV when she was young but she's an iPad addict now. My wife and I have had to put limits on it. She turns into a zombie otherwise.

My 4 year old still wakes up every night. Every kid is different, and every parent is different. What I'm saying is don't do what I did.

And by me, I mean my wife.

My kids are still, even at 7 and 4, terrible at night. If they weren't so awesome during the day, I'd think I was a shitty parent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom