• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic77

My wife feeds the baby at night during the week since she isn't working so I usually do alright with sleep. I'd say I average about 6 hours a night which is fine for me with some coffee. The problem is making sure she stays happy and doesn't go insane! I help out some on nights when it gets really bad (like last night) but for the most part she is the one doing the work during the night.

I know what you mean about not having family nearby. Our family all lives four hours away so we are completely on our own. It really sucks sometimes!

:jnc at the fried chicken comment, I can't wait for that moment. So far we have made it a point to not let the baby watch TV or any screens until she's at least two but I try not to get on the soapbox about that because it seems like opinions are kind of conflicted on the effects.

Also, the baby never sleeps with us. I'm with you on that.
:lol

That ship has long sailed bro.

Regardless everyone is raised differently and most kids turn out fine. Just make sure to teach them early on about hating on the Pats.

One of my coworkers said she just plops her eight-month-old boy down in front of the tv while she does stuff around the apartment. He's addicted to Mickey Mouse and Cat in the Hat now and will get severely upset if he doesn't get to watch it regularly. Really sucks having to resist the urge to tell her she isn't doing the right thing.

My girlfriend and I are talking about kids more and more. I'm done with school in a couple years, and we'd like to start about a year afterward. She makes waaaaaaaaaay more than I do at the moment, and since neither of us can see ourselves switching occupations in the foreseeable future, the mention of being a stay-at-home dad has surfaced. Kinda dampening to my pride, but we do want one of us to be around at all times.

Just be more like a Bernie Mac stay at home dad.

bionic77

My 3 year old still wakes up every night. Every kid is different, and every parent is different. What I'm saying is don't do what I did.

And by me, I mean my wife.
I agree. The sleep thing is definitely kid to kid. My son was always a good sleeper and my daughter was never a good sleeper. This has recently switched since we moved them to toddler beds. We raised them both the same and a lot of everything is up to your kid.

One of my coworkers said she just plops her eight-month-old boy down in front of the tv while she does stuff around the apartment. He's addicted to Mickey Mouse and Cat in the Hat now and will get severely upset if he doesn't get to watch it regularly. Really sucks having to resist the urge to tell her she isn't doing the right thing.

My girlfriend and I are talking about kids more and more. I'm done with school in a couple years, and we'd like to start about a year afterward. She makes waaaaaaaaaay more than I do at the moment, and since neither of us can see ourselves switching occupations in the foreseeable future, the mention of being a stay-at-home dad has surfaced. Kinda dampening to my pride, but we do want one of us to be around at all times.
A lot of great people have shitty parents. So I can give people advice on what I think is right but I never really judge anyone for what they do on how they raise their kids (with some exceptions).

dionysus

Yaldog
From 6-14 months our baby ate whatever we ate unmashed and even only cut into long strips. It's called baby led weaning. In actuality this meant he would suck on stuff then spit it out if the food required teeth to swallow. He loved all food even spicy stuff. Never did baby food ever.

At 14 months a switched flipped in his brain and he refused everything except chicken nuggets, guac, pizza, cucumbers, sweet potatoes, yogurt, and fruit. It wasn't a gradual change, just one day nope to everything.

So yea while I somewhat agree with Bionic on feeding, kids are strange creatures. There is no one right formula. But yea, baby food is a big waste of money.

bionic77

From 6-14 months our baby ate whatever we ate unmashed and even only cut into long strips. It's called baby led weaning. In actuality this meant he would suck on stuff then spit it out if the food required teeth to swallow. He loved all food even spicy stuff. Never did baby food ever.

At 14 months a switched flipped in his brain and he refused everything except chicken nuggets, guac, pizza, cucumbers, sweet potatoes, yogurt, and fruit. It wasn't a gradual change, just one day nope to everything.

So yea while I somewhat agree with Bionic on feeding, kids are strange creatures. There is no one right formula. But yea, baby food is a big waste of money.
The problem is the development of their brains.

They are able to think and do more things themselves, but they have only developed to a Gata level of cognitive thinking and as a result do a lot of weird and fucked up shit because they don't know any better.

I am hopeful that my kids will develop into something that resembles human beings once they are 4. That seems to be when they become more independent. More human and less Gata in other words.

bionic77

I want to be a great Dad someday =(
The key to being great at anything is usually pretty much just be like Tebow. Being a great Dad involves one great exception to that rule though.

To be a great dad just follow these simple step:

1) Have regular sexual intercourse with a normal person of the opposite sex (this is the one thing that you should not emulate Tebow on if you want to be a dad) and make sure to ejaculate into her vagina and not into any other orifice or body part. This is pretty important and essential.
2) Spend a lot of time with your kid and do what is best for them. When you come to the question of what would be best for your kid and you don't know the answer yourself, just do what you would think Tebow would do*.

* The one exception to this would be if Tebow was against vaccines or modern medicine. Then you may sometimes want to walk a different path than that of this great champion.

effzee

The whole avoid ipads/tv thing is going to be tough.

He will be close to 6 months old when the season starts and I want to dress him in his McCoy jersey and watch every game with me.

I def don't want to rely on some cartoons or tablets to calm him down but at this point considering how much I use these things I just don't think it will be possible to avoid completely.

I don't think I want twins anymore. I always thought it would be something awesome. Not so sure anymore.

Those first few years are hard, and even now my nights still suck, but the kids get so much more fun it's absolutely worth it. I got to play play No Mercy on N64 with my kids the other day, and it was surreal. My oldest can do Ray Lewis's dance. Not too long ago my youngest asked (and yeah, we got God in the house here), "If God is everywhere, does that mean he's in our poop?"

And it's like that all time (between all the new problems they bring). Hardest thing and best thing I ever did/do is being a parent.

bionic77

The whole avoid ipads/tv thing is going to be tough.

He will be close to 6 months old when the season starts and I want to dress him in his McCoy jersey and watch every game with me.

I def don't want to rely on some cartoons or tablets to calm him down but at this point considering how much I use these things I just don't think it will be possible to avoid completely.

I don't think I want twins anymore. I always thought it would be something awesome. Not so sure anymore.
Aint nothing wrong with watching football on Sundays with your dad/son.

Fuck anyone that says differently (including science and the entire medical industry if need be).

And bless you and your family if your son lets you watch an entire game uninterrupted.

bionic77

Those first few years are hard, and even now my nights still suck, but the kids get so much more fun it's absolutely worth it. I got to play play No Mercy on N64 with my kids the other day, and it was surreal. My oldest can do Ray Lewis's dance. Not too long ago my youngest asked (and yeah, we got God in the house here), "If God is everywhere, does that mean he's in our poop?"

And it's like that all time (between all the new problems they bring). Hardest thing and best thing I ever did/do is being a parent.
You taught your kids Ray Lewis's murder dance and brought them up to think of him as a role model/hero?

Thats some real Baltimore shit right there...

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

Greg

My caffeinated brother!
#cantstop
#wontstop

:jnc

Slo

Hey bros, when does having a kid get easier? The baby is five months old now, up five times last night and tossing and turning in between. Doesn't really affect me but it's about to drive my wife insane which obviously does affect me. Sorry for the venting but it's been rough.

I'll be blunt. Babies fucking blow. I hated the first 6 months of each of my kids. They are completely demanding, and give absolutely no reward. Crying, shitting, crying, shitting, sleeping, shitting, crying, and sometimes shitting. You don't even get a smile from them for the first couple months. It's all give, and no take. Some people apparently get overcome with love and emotion the very moment they see their brand new tax deduction burrow it's way through the only vagina that you're gonna get to touch for the rest of your life, but for me it wasn't like that. I didn't grow up the second I became a father, and it was a pretty big shock for a 21 year old videogame playing man-baby like me.

It took me longer to bond with the kid and become attached. The older they get, the better it gets. You start loving them way before they start loving you back, but the more they grow and start resembling a real human being the more rewarding it is. Now I can't remember my life without them there, literally. They are inseparable from me, and I'd be completely lost without them.

So yes, it does get better.

effzee

I'll be blunt. Babies fucking blow. I hated the first 6 months of each of my kids. They are completely demanding, and give absolutely no reward. Crying, shitting, crying, shitting, sleeping, shitting, crying, and sometimes shitting. You don't even get a smile from them for the first couple months. It's all give, and no take. Some people apparently get overcome with love and emotion the very moment they see their brand new tax deduction burrow it's way through the only vagina that you're gonna get to touch for the rest of your life, but for me it wasn't like that. I didn't grow up the second I became a father, and it was a pretty big shock for a 21 year old videogame playing man-baby like me.

It took me longer to bond with the kid and become attached. The older they get, the better it gets. You start loving them way before they start loving you back, but the more they grow and start resembling a real human being the more rewarding it is. Now I can't remember my life without them there, literally. They are inseparable from me, and I'd be completely lost without them.

My boy smiles and laughs already.

rando14

Slo this was beautiful :')

Couldn't have said it any better myself. I want to outright punch people in the fucking neck who say shit like "Oh treasure those first few months...they are so precious". By precious they mean you'll question why the fuck you ever decided to have a child to begin with.

I was fucking 29 and I still wasn't ready.

LOL at the poop thing!

Slo

:jnc

I had my kids at 33 and I loved them right away and never regretted it or complained. Maybe we appreciated it more because it took us awhile.

I think I could probably handle a new baby if it happened now. I'm a different guy than I was back then, and I'd probably experience it from a different perspective.

On the otherhand, my oldest is babysitting age and I'm my wife and I are starting to get some freedom back, so fuck that.

rando14

I'm going to go get a chick pregnant, I feel like I'm missing out.

Belichick-daughter-300x195.jpg

My kid completely changed me. I was into hard rap music and listened to it 10 hours a day and played videogames out the Ass.

Both those things are a distant memory. My whole life became about my angel and I don't regret it for a second, but now that she's getting to school age I'm starting to focus more on myself and my interests. Haven't gone back to gaming (and at this rate I doubt I will) but my interest in other extra curricular stuff has increased.

Syrinx

15 minutes until NHL playoffs start, and I can put all this draft bullshit on the backburner until the fucking thing actually comes.

Except the NFL-GAF mock draft of course!

WedgeX

Banned
Aint nothing wrong with watching football on Sundays with your dad/son.

Fuck anyone that says differently (including science and the entire medical industry if need be).

And bless you and your family if your son lets you watch an entire game uninterrupted.

Football between fathers and sons is sacred.

Granted, in Michigan we watched more football on Saturdays...but still!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom