• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakncoke

Banned
I PM'd the Titans dude letting him know its his turn. If anyone has any thoughts on a pick, don't be afraid to share them. I'd prefer to do this collaboratively moving forward than on my own.

They got Lelitre, but who is Leroy Harris? so the other side could have Warmack, giving Locker another weapon in Patterson might be wise as well. Is there even any other CB that are projected this high?

squicken

Doom is a better pass rusher than Kruger, but it's hard to imagine Kruger was worse vs the run. Lotta Trent Truck off RT

Chargers pick is already in. Waiting on Titans.

Dolphins-GAF, if you want to start working through the pick go right ahead. Make a top three of players and well see who's available after these two picks.
Unless some other Dolphins fans want to get in on this I think the top three should be:

1. Lane Johnson
2. Xavier Rhodes
2. Bjorn Werner

Personally I'd love to put Rhodes up there at number one but from what I've read the Dolphins are kind of mixed on him. I'll write something up depending on who actually gets drafted.

Unless some other Dolphins fans want to get in on this I think the top three should be:

1. Lane Johnson
2. Xavier Rhodes
2. Bjorn Werner

Personally I'd love to put Rhodes up there at number one but from what I've read the Dolphins are kind of mixed on him. I'll write something up depending on who actually gets drafted.
Excellent, thank you sir.

If the Warmack pick holds, Lane Johnson will be off the board to the Chargers. Xavier Rhodes will be your pick if that's the case. Start your write-up.

Bucs are up next.

Godslay

Banned
Doom is a better pass rusher than Kruger, but it's hard to imagine Kruger was worse vs the run. Lotta Trent Truck off RT

Sucks to see him go, but things will work out without him. Ayers plays well in spots and has potential, and I'm sure we will grab Abraham or Freeney in the meantime. Money was matched short term, Balt just seemed to offer a little more in terms of peripheral money and at the end. Good for them, and good for Elvis. Too bad he had a shitty agent otherwise he still would have been playing for us. At least we save ~8 million, and get younger at the position.

Godslay

Banned
Looks like Freeney is squarely in our targets. Not surprising, not ideal, but maybe he has enough gas in the tank with Miller getting doubles to have a great season.

squicken

Sucks to see him go, but things will work out without him. Ayers plays well in spots and has potential, and I'm sure we will grab Abraham or Freeney in the meantime. Money was matched short term, Balt just seemed to offer a little more in terms of peripheral money and at the end. Good for them, and good for Elvis. Too bad he had a shitty agent otherwise he still would have been playing for us. At least we save ~8 million, and get younger at the position.

I'm not sure what his cap number would have been had he agreed to be restructured, but it cost DEN 4.5m in dead money to cut him. And his new agents are also the agents for Osi, Freeney, and Abraham

edit: FV this is shamelessly stolen from CBS. I'm not familiar enough with TEN's roster to really provide a competent analysis

Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama: As a former offensive lineman who was drafted in the top-10, Titans head coach Mike Munchak will undoubtedly be impressed with Warmack. And even after spending big money on Andy Levitre in free agency, the Titans could use another guard opposite him.

Here's my write-up for Rhodes assuming things go as planned:

With the WR need being considerably addressed in free agency, the biggest needs for the Dolphins became CB (especially with the loss of Sean Smith), OT (with the loss of Jake Long), and DE. CB in particular seems like the biggest need to me, and with that in mind I think the Dolphins will take Xavier Rhodes with the twelfth overall pick. Rhodes is known for being a physical and athletic corner, and his height and size (6-2, 210 lbs.) should help him match up well against larger receivers.
I still wouldn't mind seeing them take Patterson to be honest, but it seems very unlikely. Rhodes is a safer pick.

squicken

Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt
Why Flacco contract structure so important: Ravens can tell every player the Super Bowl MVP has nothing guaranteed after first year.

hmm guess they stick to a philosophy of no guaranteed dollars beyond year 1, even if effectively some guys can't be cut b/c of the associated cap hit

As for the Bucs, my current thought on the pick is Björn Werner . Yes, their secondary sucks ass but they are currently the hot team to get Revis. This is a disgustingly deep draft in the cornerback department so they can pick one up in the 2nd or beyond and 13 might be too high for Vaccaro.

I think the Bucs address the loss of Michael Bennett to FA and the run on pass rushers continues...

edit: FV this is shamelessly stolen from CBS. I'm not familiar enough with TEN's roster to really provide a competent analysis

Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama: As a former offensive lineman who was drafted in the top-10, Titans head coach Mike Munchak will undoubtedly be impressed with Warmack. And even after spending big money on Andy Levitre in free agency, the Titans could use another guard opposite him.
Perfect. I'll use that if I hear nothing from Titans-GAF.

Godslay

Banned
I'm not sure what his cap number would have been had he agreed to be restructured, but it cost DEN 4.5m in dead money to cut him. And his new agents are also the agents for Osi, Freeney, and Abraham

The agreement on 2013 was $8 million with the old agent Magid. It's $8.5 million with Condon. Denver offered more guaranteed money over the life of the contract, but Baltimore offered more on injury and totals (not guaranteed) over the life of the contract if I read it correctly.

Cap would have been around $12 million total, ($8 mil contract + ~4 mil dead money already paid out). Otherwise it would have been $16 million ($12 mil contract + ~4 mil dead money). So it looks like Elway just reoffered the 8 + 4, and shaved more off the backside and injury money.

As far as the other guys, they aren't going to get close to that money.

Kruger vs. Dumervil is interesting. Obviously I love Dumervil for his time here, but he is bordering on being one dimensional at times. It will be interesting to see who plays out better in the long term. I want to say Doom, but if Cleveland gets their poop in a group, he is going to be more productive than Doom imo. Who knows though?

Slo

Thought we got further. I keep reading about picks by the others already.
Clam down northie.

LOL, well Jesus Christ dude. Learn to use your internet machine already!

Guys guys guys! Link me to a site that will list the prospects! Guys? Guys?
Guys guys guys! Tell me who's been taken! Guys? Guys?
Okay, now put the two together and submit my pick for me! Guys? Guys? Little help? Guys?

cajunator

Banned

Okay, now put the two together and submit my pick for me! Guys? Guys? Little help? Guys?

You're just angry because you live in a frozen tundra.
At least you aint in Wisconsin.

jakncoke

Banned

:me so much

squicken

So the media thinking was that Boldin was traded so they could keep Ellerbe, who was the one free agent that the really wanted to keep. But MIA blew them out of the water, so they let him walk. So is their defense better with Doom or Ellerbe?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Marshawn Lynch has scored a TD!

As Cal put the finishing touches on its first spring under new head coach Sonny Dykes, the former Bear and current Seattle Seahawks running back made an impromptu appearance at his alma mater’s spring game. Or, more specifically, in his alma mater’s spring game.

Lynch, following a conversation with a Cal official, entered the game for one play and went untouched for a 22-yard touchdown run, with the school’s release stating that “[t]he only players to touch the All-Pro running back were members of the Cal offense that mobbed him in the end zone after his score.” It wasn’t due to ineptness on the defense’s part, though, as that unit was under strict orders to not lay a hand on the back.

Kruger vs. Dumervil is interesting. Obviously I love Dumervil for his time here, but he is bordering on being one dimensional at times. It will be interesting to see who plays out better in the long term. I want to say Doom, but if Cleveland gets their poop in a group, he is going to be more productive than Doom imo. Who knows though?

Kruger is abysmal against the run. The worst Dumervil can be is "as bad" as Kruger. Dumervil is better at getting to the QB, has a better track record, and is getting his coach back from his 17 sack year. This is a monster, and unexpected, upgrade.

So the media thinking was that Boldin was traded so they could keep Ellerbe, who was the one free agent that the really wanted to keep. But MIA blew them out of the water, so they let him walk. So is their defense better with Doom or Ellerbe?

If its Ellerbe/Kruger vs Jameel McClain/Doom, it's the latter. People are forgetting McClaon is our best ILB.

Titans-GAF was a no show so I picked for them. Nightz and Darkest_Red got their picks in for the Chargers and Dolphins. Here is the latest:

NFL-Gaf Mock Draft 2013

1. Chiefs - Luke Joeckel - T - Texas A&M

That said, right now I expect the pick to be Luke Joeckel. While the Chiefs are also going to work out Lane Johnson and Eric Fisher, Joeckel seems to be the consensus best LT in the draft. He would immediately start at right tackle, and should slide over to LT to fill Albert's spot in 2014. Are these mock draft entries usually full of venom and vitriol towards the expected pick? Because that's all I have left.

2. Jaguars - Eric Fisher - T - Central Michigan

Jags #2 Pick!

Jags have a LOT of holes to fill, and the top 10 is a real crapshoot with who will be the most impactful.

They plan on building the offense around a renewed MJD, preparing to give him a big contract to get him to spend the rest of his career here. That means they need to shore up their offensive line. Since Joeckel is taken, they will pick Eric Fisher from Central Michigan. His specialty is pushing people back, and that's all MJD needs to really use his skills. Defensive Tackles are too hit-and-miss, but O-line are generally stable.

3. Raiders - ChanHuk, Mackenzie 92 - Star Lotulelei - DT - University of Utah

With the #3 selection in the 2013 Mock NFLGAF draft the glorious Oakland Raiders select; Star Lotulelei, defensive tackle University of Utah.

The Raiders are in complete rebuild mode, no more of this nonsense "reload" of the Al Davis era of just overpaying washed up vets. Only 4 starters return from last year's dismal defense, the Raiders need to address their run defense which has been pathetic the last decade.

Star Lotulelei is similar to a player we should've picked in the 2006 NFL draft in Haloti Ngata. Star is not as dominant as Ngata but still commands double team blocks against the run. Star isn't going to get you flashy sack numbers but he'll allow your LBs to make plays. Teams are built in the trenches, Raiders now possess two stout young defensive linemen in Star and Lamar Houston. With the addition of Vance Walker through FA, the Raiders now possess a formidable run stopping defensive line.

4. Eagles - Yankeehater, JABEE - Dee Miliner - CB - University of Alabama

The Eagles have already taken big strides to improve their biggest weakness last year. The Eagles have a ton of holes to fill, but Dee is the best player available that fills one of those holes. Even though Dee doesn't posses the return skills of a Deion Sanders, he is unquestionably the best CB in this draft.

5. Lions - WedgeX, Goldlion054, Kastrioti, Plinko - Ziggy Ansah - DE - BYU

Worst case scenario here, but the lions will be selecting DE Ziggy Anash from BYU here. With the loss of Backus, Detroit would have loved to fill the role with a franchise player like Fischer, but not the case here. The coaching staff reportedly loves Anash after the senior bowl and he'll fit into Mayhew's bpa strategy. He may be raw, but his ceiling is very high and can hopefully become a JPP type player with those skills. Again, worst case scenario, but it'll have to do

6. Browns - BlackGhost, Wes, theBatman - Dion Jordan -DE/OLB - Oregon

With the browns switch to the 3-4, they pick up the best OLB prospect in the draft. Jordan still has to prove he can bring an arsenal of pass rush moves to the table but he has proven himself to be proficient when dropping in coverage, offers excellent size/length and speed and fits the mold as the type of physical specimen that can develop into a top caliber pass rusher in this draft.

7. Cardinals - Squall ASF (Futurevoid standing in as Squall was not around) - Geno Smith - QB - West Virginia

I struggled with this pick and it really shouldn't have been. Chance Warmack makes the most sense. You can go on all about a guard not having been picked Top 10 in however many years but this is 10+ year starter for a team that has about an awful an offensive line as there is. However, I'm not making the pick. I'm supposed to try and guess at what the Cardinals will do and frankly I can't escape the desperation a team with Drew Stanton as their opening day starter has to contend with.

Lane Johnson was also a possibility here but I'm going with my gut here. Geno Smith doesn't get past the Bills and I don't think the Bills will have the chance to draft him. Arians go throw out all of the smokescreens he likes about not being impressed with any of the QB class. It's a reach and the Cardinals are the team to do it.

8. Bills - LJ11 - Tavon Austin - WR - West Virginia

GAF Mock draft has always been about choosing the player you think your team is going to take. Pretty sure the Bills will take a QB, but I'm not sure a QB is worth the 8th overall pick. They desperately needed an offensive tackle last season, but didn't get desperate and reach. I think they're going to do it the same way this year. Nassib and Wilson are the only two possibilities but with 6 picks, next to no moves in FA, and a ton of holes you would be wise to trade back regardless off return and then make a play for a QB. You don't need a haul either. This is the Bills though, so....

They've gone D heavy the last few years, need some offense, and I'm using the CJ rational to make this pick.

Tavon Austin, find me a better more explosive offensive threat in this draft? You can't.

9. Jets - Fox318 (Futurevoid standing in) - Shariff Floyd - DT - Florida

WR and OL makes sense here for the Jets but Rex likes his defense and considering they've let go of a number of high priced vets to clear cap space, I think they can't let a prospect like Floyd continue to drop. He'll play the 5 tech in the 3-4 and should be a force alongside Wilkerson. I was thinking Mingo here as well but Floyd is just a better prospect to me with this high of a pick.

10. Titans - Fidelis Hodie (Futurevoid standing in) - Chance Warmack - G - Alabama

As a former offensive lineman who was drafted in the top-10, Titans head coach Mike Munchak will undoubtedly be impressed with Warmack. And even after spending big money on Andy Levitre in free agency, the Titans could use another guard opposite him.

11. Chargers - Nightz - Lane Johnson - T - Oklahoma

Nightz said:
The Chargers would like to get the Philip Rivers of old back and know that fixing the offensive line is the first step in doing so. With 4 out of 5 starters on the line still unknown at this point, Lane Johnson is the pick. Johnson has shown lots of potential and will step in to the starting left tackle role. He will be relied on heavily to protect the blind side and keep Rivers upright.

12. Dolphins - The_Darkest_Red - Xavier Rhodes - CB - FSU

With the WR need being considerably addressed in free agency, the biggest needs for the Dolphins became CB (especially with the loss of Sean Smith), OT (with the loss of Jake Long), and DE. CB in particular seems like the biggest need to me, and with that in mind I think the Dolphins will take Xavier Rhodes with the twelfth overall pick. Rhodes is known for being a physical and athletic corner, and his height and size (6-2, 210 lbs.) should help him match up well against larger receivers.

13. Buccaneers - Colonel Nasty - ON THE CLOCK!
14. Panthers - Bowser
15. Saints - cajunator
16. Rams - squicken, B for Bendetta
17. Steelers - DeaconKnowledge, chuckddd, Angmarsking701, 789shadow
18. Cowboys - cashman
19. Giants - Futurevoid, BigAT, Striker
20. Bears - cuevas, phd., Vio-lence
21. Bengals - eznark
22. Rams (from Redskins) - squicken, B for Bendetta
23. Vikings - BannedEpisode
24. Colts - SpinDasher
25. Vikings - from Seattle - BannedEpisode
26. Packers - eznark, TheLegendary
27. Texans - MechDX
28. Broncos - Godslay, Hunter S Thompson
29. Patriots - Dutch Patriot
30. Falcons - Talon
31. 49ers - FrenchMovieTheme
32. Ravens - BaltimoreLarry, Nakazato

BUCS ARE ON THE CLOCK! Bucs have until 8:30pm. If Bucs-GAF no shows, the pick will be Bjoern Werner. Panthers-GAF, start getting your list ready! Both Colonel Nasty and Bowser have been PM'd.

jbug617

Banned
Pats had a private workout with DE Earl Okine from Florida. He was not invited to the NFL Combine but has NFL size at 6'7 287lbs.

squicken

Johnson may end up good, but it's not going to be a smooth transition to day 1 NFL LT. He still needs a year to bulk up and improve technique. Best served by starting out at RT in first year

LevelNth

Banned
Lol at the Dumervil signing, man alive I'm enjoying the stupidity of the Ravens so far this year.

Dum is on the way down Oz you idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom