• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow draft half way done already? Kinda shocked with what you said about last year.

Thought Jarvis was going to PIT. That slow time killed him.

Steelers, Cowboys and Giants picks are all in this update!

NFL-Gaf Mock Draft 2013

1. Chiefs - Luke Joeckel - T - Texas A&M

That said, right now I expect the pick to be Luke Joeckel. While the Chiefs are also going to work out Lane Johnson and Eric Fisher, Joeckel seems to be the consensus best LT in the draft. He would immediately start at right tackle, and should slide over to LT to fill Albert's spot in 2014. Are these mock draft entries usually full of venom and vitriol towards the expected pick? Because that's all I have left.

2. Jaguars - Eric Fisher - T - Central Michigan

Jags #2 Pick!

Jags have a LOT of holes to fill, and the top 10 is a real crapshoot with who will be the most impactful.

They plan on building the offense around a renewed MJD, preparing to give him a big contract to get him to spend the rest of his career here. That means they need to shore up their offensive line. Since Joeckel is taken, they will pick Eric Fisher from Central Michigan. His specialty is pushing people back, and that's all MJD needs to really use his skills. Defensive Tackles are too hit-and-miss, but O-line are generally stable.

3. Raiders - ChanHuk, Mackenzie 92 - Star Lotulelei - DT - University of Utah

ChanHuk said:
With the #3 selection in the 2013 Mock NFLGAF draft the glorious Oakland Raiders select; Star Lotulelei, defensive tackle University of Utah.

The Raiders are in complete rebuild mode, no more of this nonsense "reload" of the Al Davis era of just overpaying washed up vets. Only 4 starters return from last year's dismal defense, the Raiders need to address their run defense which has been pathetic the last decade.

Star Lotulelei is similar to a player we should've picked in the 2006 NFL draft in Haloti Ngata. Star is not as dominant as Ngata but still commands double team blocks against the run. Star isn't going to get you flashy sack numbers but he'll allow your LBs to make plays. Teams are built in the trenches, Raiders now possess two stout young defensive linemen in Star and Lamar Houston. With the addition of Vance Walker through FA, the Raiders now possess a formidable run stopping defensive line.

4. Eagles - Yankeehater, JABEE - Dee Miliner - CB - University of Alabama

The Eagles have already taken big strides to improve their biggest weakness last year. The Eagles have a ton of holes to fill, but Dee is the best player available that fills one of those holes. Even though Dee doesn't posses the return skills of a Deion Sanders, he is unquestionably the best CB in this draft.

5. Lions - WedgeX, Goldlion054, Kastrioti, Plinko - Ziggy Ansah - DE - BYU

Worst case scenario here, but the lions will be selecting DE Ziggy Anash from BYU here. With the loss of Backus, Detroit would have loved to fill the role with a franchise player like Fischer, but not the case here. The coaching staff reportedly loves Anash after the senior bowl and he'll fit into Mayhew's bpa strategy. He may be raw, but his ceiling is very high and can hopefully become a JPP type player with those skills. Again, worst case scenario, but it'll have to do

6. Browns - BlackGhost, Wes, theBatman - Dion Jordan -DE/OLB - Oregon

Futurevoid said:
With the browns switch to the 3-4, they pick up the best OLB prospect in the draft. Jordan still has to prove he can bring an arsenal of pass rush moves to the table but he has proven himself to be proficient when dropping in coverage, offers excellent size/length and speed and fits the mold as the type of physical specimen that can develop into a top caliber pass rusher in this draft.

7. Cardinals - Squall ASF (Futurevoid standing in as Squall was not around) - Geno Smith - QB - West Virginia

Futurevoid said:
I struggled with this pick and it really shouldn't have been. Chance Warmack makes the most sense. You can go on all about a guard not having been picked Top 10 in however many years but this is 10+ year starter for a team that has about an awful an offensive line as there is. However, I'm not making the pick. I'm supposed to try and guess at what the Cardinals will do and frankly I can't escape the desperation a team with Drew Stanton as their opening day starter has to contend with.

Lane Johnson was also a possibility here but I'm going with my gut here. Geno Smith doesn't get past the Bills and I don't think the Bills will have the chance to draft him. Arians go throw out all of the smokescreens he likes about not being impressed with any of the QB class. It's a reach and the Cardinals are the team to do it.

8. Bills - LJ11 - Tavon Austin - WR - West Virginia

GAF Mock draft has always been about choosing the player you think your team is going to take. Pretty sure the Bills will take a QB, but I'm not sure a QB is worth the 8th overall pick. They desperately needed an offensive tackle last season, but didn't get desperate and reach. I think they're going to do it the same way this year. Nassib and Wilson are the only two possibilities but with 6 picks, next to no moves in FA, and a ton of holes you would be wise to trade back regardless off return and then make a play for a QB. You don't need a haul either. This is the Bills though, so....

They've gone D heavy the last few years, need some offense, and I'm using the CJ rational to make this pick.

Tavon Austin, find me a better more explosive offensive threat in this draft? You can't.

9. Jets - Fox318 (Futurevoid standing in) - Shariff Floyd - DT - Florida

Futurevoid said:
WR and OL makes sense here for the Jets but Rex likes his defense and considering they've let go of a number of high priced vets to clear cap space, I think they can't let a prospect like Floyd continue to drop. He'll play the 5 tech in the 3-4 and should be a force alongside Wilkerson. I was thinking Mingo here as well but Floyd is just a better prospect to me with this high of a pick.

10. Titans - Fidelis Hodie (Futurevoid standing in) - Chance Warmack - G - Alabama

As a former offensive lineman who was drafted in the top-10, Titans head coach Mike Munchak will undoubtedly be impressed with Warmack. And even after spending big money on Andy Levitre in free agency, the Titans could use another guard opposite him.

11. Chargers - Nightz - Lane Johnson - T - Oklahoma

Nightz said:
The Chargers would like to get the Philip Rivers of old back and know that fixing the offensive line is the first step in doing so. With 4 out of 5 starters on the line still unknown at this point, Lane Johnson is the pick. Johnson has shown lots of potential and will step in to the starting left tackle role. He will be relied on heavily to protect the blind side and keep Rivers upright.

12. Dolphins - The_Darkest_Red - Xavier Rhodes - CB - FSU

With the WR need being considerably addressed in free agency, the biggest needs for the Dolphins became CB (especially with the loss of Sean Smith), OT (with the loss of Jake Long), and DE. CB in particular seems like the biggest need to me, and with that in mind I think the Dolphins will take Xavier Rhodes with the twelfth overall pick. Rhodes is known for being a physical and athletic corner, and his height and size (6-2, 210 lbs.) should help him match up well against larger receivers.

13. Buccaneers - Colonel Nasty - Bjoern Werner - FSU

Even though Werner seems like a reach, I just can't justify Trufant this high. The Bucs need secondary help bad but with not a single double digit sack DE on the roster and Claybourne coming off surgery along with Bowers being a dumb fucking Talib wannabe the Tampa Bay Bucs select Bjoern Werner "Brothers" from FSU.

14. Panthers - Bowser - Sheldon Richardson - DT - Missouri

Bowser said:
Panthers need a stud DT. While we resigned Edwards, he's aging and likely only has a year or two of quality play left. We also had to release Ron Edwards due in a salary cap related move. 2011 3rd round pick Sione Fua has been a bust of epic proportions and will likely stick on the roster because he's cheap and we have little depth at the position. Richardson is an explosive athlete and should add a playmaker on the interior of the line to help free up Kuechly, Beason and Davis to make plays at the line of scrimmage.

15. Saints - cajunator - Barkevious Mingo - DE/OLB - LSU

cajunator said:
A standout at LSU, he would be a local favorite to shore up a much maligned defense. He would be used heavily in pass rush situations in Rob Ryan's 3/4. Playing in the SEC should have prepared him for the NFL.

16. Rams - squicken, B for Bendetta - Jonathan Cooper - G - North Carolina

Well that went fast. I know that I would definitely take Cooper too. Problem is that Fisher has never drafted OL in the first round. The only other choice here is Cordarrelle Patterson. He and Austin are the only two big-time playmakers in the draft. As far as big needs, it's OLB and safety

The Rams absolutely would take Sheldon Richardson if he was there, but he's not.

Vacarro isn't good enough to separate from the other safeties.

Patterson is VERY similar to Brian Quick in terms of strengths and weaknesses, but he is better. If they both work out, it would be like having Jones and White

Jarvis Jones doesn't fit the Rams scheme. They'd go with Tank if they wanted another DE. He's not fast enough to play OLB for STL

So it's either Patterson or Cooper. Since they lost Turner and Wells is an injury risk, they really need insurance at OG and C. Cooper can do both, but hopefully not have to play C until next year. So Cooper is the pick. Starts right away at LG

17. Steelers - DeaconKnowledge, chuckddd, Angmarsking701, 789shadow - Cordarrelle Patterson - WR - Tenessee

With the 17th pick in the 2013 NFL-Gaf Mock Draft, Steelers-Gaf selects Cordarrelle Patterson, WR out of Tennessee.

With the loss of Mike Wallace, the Steelers can immediately fill his spot in the line up with Patterson. He gives Roethlisberger the tall target that he's always wanted. It's also more urgent to get a big receiver this year, with the questionable availability of Heath Miller. Patterson is a deep threat play maker and great after the catch. He can also return kicks, saving Antonio Brown some wear and tear.

On the down side, he's unpolished and needs to work on his routes and high pointing the ball. The same could be said of Wallace for his entire Steeler tenure, though.

The highest rated receiver falls to the Steelers, so it's a fairly easy pick. Jarvis Jones was the other closest competitor here, but he had a terrible pro day and has health concerns.

18. Cowboys - cashman - Datone Jones - DE - UCLA

cashman said:
The Cowboys biggest priority for the draft should be getting D line personnel for Monte Kiffin's defense, and I think Datone Jones would be perfect to line up at left defensive end opposite of Ware.

19. Giants - Futurevoid, BigAT, Striker - Cornellius "Tank" Carradine - DE - FSU

Futurevoid said:
Offensive line is a need for the Giants but the reality is that the team would have to trade up in the second round to get the type of impact DE they usually pursue in the draft whereas there is plenty of developmental talent on the offensive line in the 2nd-3rd round the Giants can grab which is more their style.

With the 19th pick, the Giants fit both a need and a value pick with Carradine. A player with top 10 type of talent but who will invariably drop due to concerns about the recent ACL tear he's recovering from. Prior to that, Carradine was on a tear putting up 11 sacks in 11 games. He has the type of long arms (near 35inches) that the Giants love to see in their DE's. He's a little shorter than what they usually go for but at 6'4, 276 pounds, the Giants will gain a player who can afford to get fully healthy and play spot duty until Justin Tuck finishes the final year of his contract. The combination of Carradine and JPP could put the Giants defensive line back in the role of domination that eluded them in the 2012 season for years to come.

20. Bears - cuevas, phd., Vio-lence - ON THE CLOCK
21. Bengals - eznark
22. Rams (from Redskins) - squicken, B for Bendetta
23. Vikings - BannedEpisode
24. Colts - SpinDasher
25. Vikings - from Seattle - BannedEpisode
26. Packers - eznark, TheLegendary
27. Texans - MechDX
28. Broncos - Godslay, Hunter S Thompson
29. Patriots - Dutch Patriot
30. Falcons - Talon
31. 49ers - FrenchMovieTheme
32. Ravens - BaltimoreLarry, Nakazato

BEARS ARE ON THE CLOCK! Bears have until 12:42AM EST.

Bears members have been PM'd. Bears have until 1am to put their pick in.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
No way Jarvis Jones drops this far on draft day.

squicken

I don't see Cooper falling to STL, or Patterson to the Steelers. but would be great for both teams. Patterson will struggle that first year, but can still help with go, bubble screens and slants

Jarvis: awful pro day+limited scheme fit+ medical. He could definitely slide

Wow draft half way done already? Kinda shocked with what you said about last year.
I'm brutally efficient.;)

To be frank, after we get the next Rams pick in, I'm relinquishing command to chuck or something. I've been PM'ing folks all day long trying to stay on top of things so I'm done for the night and with work tomorrow I don't think I'll be able to be quite as dedicated.

I'm brutally efficient.;)

To be frank, after we get the next Rams pick in, I'm relinquishing command to chuck or something. I've been PM'ing folks all day long trying to stay on top of things so I'm done for the night and with work tomorrow I don't think I'll be able to be quite as dedicated.
FV you da man. Great job herding the cats today to keep this thing moving. I thought for sure Steelers-GAF wouldn't need to assemble until Thursday at the earliest.

FV you da man. Great job herding the cats today to keep this thing moving. I thought for sure Steelers-GAF wouldn't need to assemble until Thursday at the earliest.
Thanks! chuck deserves some of the credit as well. He got us off to a good start.

Chicago is getting Te'o if they don't have a pick in by 12:47!

If any of you guys watch TWD and can identify the song Merle turns up in the car, would appreciate it. Sounded awesome and I want to download it. TWD thread suggested Motorhead but no one could place it exactly.

Thanks! chuck deserves some of the credit as well. He got us off to a good start.

Chicago is getting Te'o if they don't have a pick in by 12:47!

35785975.jpg

Well what are you thinking Squicken? No safeties taken yet in a draft that is supposed to have a lot of depth at safety? I can see the Rams skipping over Vaccaro. Then again I'm not sure they expect him to slip to 22. Alec Ogletree? As you have pointed out, the Rams already have many problem children, and I think that they only like taking a risk if it is a good deal. The two WRs they like are gone. I'm not sure they want Keenan Allen. Maybe look at sleeper WRs? Hunter or Hopkins?

Once again I would expect them to trade back if in this position.

squicken

Well what are you thinking Squicken? No safeties taken yet in a draft that is supposed to have a lot of depth at safety? I can see the Rams skipping over Vaccaro. Then again I'm not sure they expect him to slip to 22. Alec Ogletree? As you have pointed out, the Rams already have many problem children, and I think that they only like taking a risk if it is a good deal. The two WRs they like are gone. I'm not sure they want Keenan Allen. Maybe look at sleeper WRs? Hunter or Hopkins?

Once again I would expect them to trade back if in this position.

I think the Rams will use one pick on D and one on offense. I'm just not sold on Vacarro as an impact safety, and it's a deep class.

I've really heard Ogletree is a doofus. Of course the Rams saying they won't take problem children could just be smoke. They did bring in Titus Young, as someone mentioned. If they feel like Ogletree can be handled, it's him. If not, I'd say Arthur Brown. Pair either of those guys with Lauranitis and you have two solid 3 down LBs who can run. Bring back Mikell for SS, and draft at FS, and it's a very good defense

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
You guys want a good laugh? Go check out Florio's mock draft at PFT right now. Marcus Trufant somehow defies the odds and is the first CB off the board (to Detroit, no less), and Barkley is picked before Smith. May be the worst mock I've ever seen.

MechDX

You guys want a good laugh? Go check out Florio's mock draft at PFT right now. Marcus Trufant somehow defies the odds and is the first CB off the board (to Detroit, no less), and Barkley is picked before Smith. May be the worst mock I've ever seen.

Just quote the picks:

1. Chiefs: DE Dion Jordan, Oregon.

2. Jaguars: OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M.

3. Raiders: DT Sharrif Floyd, Florida.

4. Eagles: DT Sheldon Richardson, Missouri.

5. Lions: CB Desmond Trufant, Washington.

6. Browns: DE Ziggy Ansah, BYU.

7. Cardinals: DE Barkevious Mingo, LSU.

8. Bills: QB Matt Barkley, USC.

9. Jets: CB Dee Milliner, Alabama.

10. Titans: OG Chance Warmack, Alabama.

11. Chargers: OT Eric Fisher, Central Michigan.

12. Dolphins: OT Lane Johnson, Oklahoma.

13. Buccaneers: WR Tavon Austin, West Virginia.

14. Panthers: DT Star Lotulelei, Utah.

15. Saints: WR Keenan Allen, California.

16. Rams: OG Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina.

17. Steelers: RB Eddie Lacy, Alabama.

18. Cowboys: S Kenny Vaccaro, Texas.

19. Giants: DE Bjoern Werner, Florida State.

20. Bears: LB Jarvis Jones, Georgia.

21. Bengals: DT Sylvester Williams, North Carolina.

22. Rams (from Redskins): OT D.J. Fluker, Alabama.

23. Vikings: QB Geno Smith, West Virginia.

24. Colts: WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee.

25. Vikings (from Seahawks): LB Manti Te’o, Notre Dame.

26. Packers: TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame.

27. Texans: WR Deandre Hopkins, Clemson.

28. Broncos: S Matt Elam, Florida.

29. Patriots: CB Xavier Rhodes, Florida State.

30. Falcons: DE Cornellius Carradine, Florida State.

31. 49ers: NT John Jenkins, Georgia.

32. Ravens: OT Kyle Long, Oregon.

Vikings picks are awesome!

Eagles: DT Sheldon Richardson, Missouri

No, just no.

I think the Rams will use one pick on D and one on offense. I'm just not sold on Vacarro as an impact safety, and it's a deep class.

I've really heard Ogletree is a doofus. Of course the Rams saying they won't take problem children could just be smoke. They did bring in Titus Young, as someone mentioned. If they feel like Ogletree can be handled, it's him. If not, I'd say Arthur Brown. Pair either of those guys with Lauranitis and you have two solid 3 down LBs who can run. Bring back Mikell for SS, and draft at FS, and it's a very good defense

I agree with the one pick on offense and one on defense guess, though Jim Thomas said he would be suprises if the Rams don't take a receiver in the first. He specifially mentioned it being a possibility of Jones, Ogletree, or Warmack are available. So the Rams have some interest in Jones if he is there, but that was before the pro day. I don't think the Rams would take Ogletree with the 16th, as some have projected, mostly because I think they plan on Cooper, Austin, Patterson, or Warmack being there. But if we get to 22 and Jones, Vaccaro, Ogletree are available I do think they will trade down. Since we are going to have to make a pick I think the Rams in this situation take Ogletree. Don't know who Arthur Brown is, haven't seen him projected to the rams in any mocks. Like I said, I don't follow college really, but if you think the Rams have him that high and don't consider it a reach. If the Rams have to make a pick in this situation I see them taking Ogletree, despite the risks.

Adrian Peterson is amazing. He has done so much for the Vikings as a franchise, its almost at an astronomical level.

I hope that if the Vikings win a championship, that it happens with AD. Two other Viking players have won the MVP: Tarkenton and Page. They both came close multiple times. AD deserves it more than any other player I have ever seen. He is so active on and off the field it boggles my mind.

Shit, I once had a girl fail a project in college because I worked for my University's English Dept. and a professor I worked with had me help to grade her students presentations. The student in question did a presentation on one of AD's charities and spelled his last name Pedersen. Pointed that shit out post haste. It was a technical writing class after all.

Fuck, I'm so sorry guys! I had an out of town emergency Sat morning and just got back. About to grab late dinner but it hit me that our draft was Sat and I wanted to apologize, feel bad that you guys must have waited 4 hrs through Cards pick. I was really looking forward to this too :( Next time I'll shoot my top few options to one of you guys in the event something like this comes up. I'll have to catch up on what you guys picked while eating in a bit. Curious to see who ended up making Cards pick too. Again, really sorry.

squicken

I agree with the one pick on offense and one on defense guess, though Jim Thomas said he would be suprises if the Rams don't take a receiver in the first. He specifially mentioned it being a possibility of Jones, Ogletree, or Warmack are available. So the Rams have some interest in Jones if he is there, but that was before the pro day. I don't think the Rams would take Ogletree with the 16th, as some have projected, mostly because I think they plan on Cooper, Austin, Patterson, or Warmack being there. But if we get to 22 and Jones, Vaccaro, Ogletree are available I do think they will trade down. Since we are going to have to make a pick I think the Rams in this situation take Ogletree. Don't know who Arthur Brown is, haven't seen him projected to the rams in any mocks. Like I said, I don't follow college really, but if you think the Rams have him that high and don't consider it a reach. If the Rams have to make a pick in this situation I see them taking Ogletree, despite the risks.

Rams are often mentioned as the team that AZ and others in the top of the 2nd might move up to and grab their QB. They will certainly try to. My guess is that they hope Patterson is there at 16 and grab him. We agreed on Cooper just b/c he is there, but I'm not sure he will be in the draft. Nor Patterson for that matter. I'm not sure what Thomas sees in Jarvis. Can't play OLB, and the Rams are really set and DE

Arthur Brown is almost a Lauranitis clone, but a little faster and more explosive. As a Will and Sam it is a really good combo. If Ogletree were less wishy-washy he be the easy choice.

Hopkins I really like. More than Allen, but Allen really hasn't been able to show anything since he got hurt. I do agree they grab a WR in the first. So if they are available, it's one of those two

Fuck, I'm so sorry guys! I had an out of town emergency Sat morning and just got back. About to grab late dinner but it hit me that our draft was Sat and I wanted to apologize, feel bad that you guys must have waited 4 hrs through Cards pick. I was really looking forward to this too :( Next time I'll shoot my top few options to one of you guys in the event something like this comes up. I'll have to catch up on what you guys picked while eating in a bit. Curious to see who ended up making Cards pick too. Again, really sorry.

I fought for Warmack, buddy. You'll have to find the old thread for the initial writeup and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom