• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL WildCard Weekend 2010- Extended Xmas for Some;Miniature American Flags for Others

Status
Not open for further replies.
yacobod said:
well when you're part of such a shitty fanbase in the ATL, i don't think you should be kicking ppl off the bandwagon. who knows when the next time the falcons are going to have a legit shot at the super bowl.

ummm...next year (if there is a season) we should have a pretty decent shot again since most of our team is under contract. :D

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Rorschach said:
Between that and the internet friends thread, yes. Very. No offense. Some of my favorite people are creepy! Like famous character actor Steve Buschemi through no fault of his own!

haha well I'll take that as a compliment then. :D Should of came to the party dude!

snesfreak said:
Sure, skies.
We shall see, I only wish the Bucs could be the team to knock them out of the playoffs.

You already had two chances. :lol

peyton makes up 100% of the colts. without him they are bottom feeders. that is why the colts will pay him close to $20 mil a season

Yeah well I was being generous lol

Peyton Manning = 94%
Mathis and Freeney = 2%
Clark, Wayne, and garcon'= 2%
Offensive Line = 1.5%
Everybody else = .5%

Skiesofwonder said:
haha well I'll take that as a compliment then. :D Should of came to the party dude!

Yeah well I was being generous lol

Peyton Manning = 94%
Mathis and Freeney = 2%
Clark, Wayne, and garcon'= 2%
Offensive Line = 1.5%
Everybody else = .5%

According to Colts fans I talk to, Bob Sanders should be on that list. if he wasn't made of glass they'd be going 19-0 every year.

storybook77 said:

Dude is 5'10" and led the league in rushing attempts. He doesn't have a Stephen Jackson type build, his shelf life as a starter will be short.

funkmastergeneral said:
Dude is 5'10" and led the league in rushing attempts. He doesn't have a Stephen Jackson type build, his shelf life as a starter will be short.

I was laughing at the one year wonder comment. As if we're not going to draft a RB that will eventually take over at some point. We have to replace Norwood anyway, hopefully with someone who isn't brittle.

How is that not plausable?

Backs have a limited shelf life in the NFL, especially a large one that takes a pounding every game.
That stuff will wear you down, especially considering the touches he gets.

tmdorsey

funkmastergeneral said:
One year wonder. Michael Turner is due to breakdown.

Actually, I think Turner is losing some shine. We need a good back in reserve to push Turner. Snelling may be up to the task.

snesfreak

Banned
Skiesofwonder said:
Yeah yeah I know...
If our special teams didn't blow we might have won the 2nd game.
And if the refs weren't assholes we probably win the Lions game and get in anyway.
<------------------- Still bitter about that.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, Talon is a new Falcon fan here? So he's a Falcon fan and a Duck fan? I hope he went to UO.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I always viewed running backs like cars, only instead of mileage you go by rushing attempts.

As a 7 year veteran, Turner has fewer carries than AP and a third of what LT has. The X factor here that isn't being counted of course is major injury and blocking defenders.

Still, I believe Turner has peaked already. Probably has a little while left in him though.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
LJ11 said:
Why can't he be a fan if he didn't go to Oregon?

I guess that's fine. Just don't tell me he's a Heat fan too.

Talon

Buckethead said:
How is that not plausable?

Backs have a limited shelf life in the NFL, especially a large one that takes a pounding every game.
That stuff will wear you down, especially considering the touches he gets.
That's a long shout away from the Falcons as a whole being a one year wonder.

It's a position we need to address. We really haven't had that change of pace guy (Norwood, as nice as he is as a person, is injured too often), or a guy that can make a guy miss after the catch (Snelling is clutch, but he ain't no scat back). The FO has already said they don't like that Michael gets too many carries, anyways. That said, he's built like the backs that had exceptional longetivity in the league (low to the ground, big lower body), and he really didn't start to carry the load until 3 years ago when he came to Atlanta.
funkmastergeneral said:
What the hell are you talking about?

1. Runningbacks with longevity tend to be those that have big lower bodies and run low to the ground. Emmitt Smith, Tiki Barber, LT, Curtis Martin, Earl Campbell, Thurman Thomas. These guys all had exception longetivity at the position, were around 5'10", and had powerful lower bodies.

And, no shit, Michael Turner ain't in the class of these other guys but to say he's short for the position means you're woefully misinformed.

2. Tall runningbacks like Steven Jackson are the exception, not the norm, and they're avoided because they wind up taking a ton of body blows. AP's the best back in the league, but the big knock on him coming out of college is that he runs too upright. Also, Steven Jackson has had more injury issues than Michael Turner.
MyFaceIsOnFire said:
Wait, Talon is a new Falcon fan here? So he's a Falcon fan and a Duck fan? I hope he went to UO.
I've been in the threads since sometime last season, natch. The fuck did you miss me all season?

Not a Ducks fan. My roommate (and bud back from college) is a big Ducks fan, so I'm throwing him my support.

Also, the Maehlman always delivers.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Talon- said:
Also, the Maehlman always delivers.

Yes he does. I guess since you are just supporting your roommate it's ok. My last roommate was a Patriots fan. I didn't support them. Ever.

tmdorsey said:
Actually, I think Turner is losing some shine. We need a good back in reserve to push Turner. Snelling may be up to the task.

So Jerious Norwood is offically done in ATL?

Edit: I know hes hurt this season but next season?

Talon

LJ11 said:
I've got news for you...

I expect Auburn to absolutely throttle Oregon, no contest.
The Ducks will struggle if Auburn can control the line of scrimmage, which they can because they'll be bigger and stronger up front.

That said, the no huddle (I refuse to use "blur") is a great equalizer over the course of the game. I've had to watch a lot of Oregon games over the season, and you can tell that their pace wears on teams once you hit the 4th quarter.

The thing I wonder is the same thing I wonder every year when an SEC team's in the title game. You wind up playing so many tight games in the SEC that championship teams get used to having to battle back from adversity. Auburn's come back from 21 down in Tuscaloosa. They've won a tight game again LSU's defense. Oregon's really had one tough game against a quality team with Stanford where they had to stem the tide, and that game really came down to that 3rd quarter fumble by Stanford that put an end to their comeback.

Cal was an aberration in my mind. Just horrible mistakes all over the field, but I suppose it shows they were tough enough to win in that situation.

I'm excited to see the game at any rate. I don't really have a rooting interest in the game. I'd be glad for my bud if Oregon won, but I wouldn't be upset or anything.
sf2fanatic said:
So Jerious Norwood is offically done in ATL?

Edit: I know hes hurt this season but next season?
Jerious dances around too much in the backfield. Guy's as fast as anyone in the league, IMO (see that long run against Washington), but his legs are built like twigs so it's not like he can gain tough yardage.

It would at least help if he was consistent catching the ball out of the backfield.

Like I said, he's a great and really humble guy, but he doesn't really figure in Dimitroff's plans in the future.

Talon

MyFaceIsOnFire said:
Yes he does. I guess since you are just supporting your roommate it's ok. My last roommate was a Patriots fan. I didn't support them. Ever.
Well the funny thing is that we've always had shouting matches over the past 5 years about conferences because he's a paranoid Pac-10 fan, and I'm from SEC country.

LSU winning in the 2007 season was pretty much the worst thing in the world for him. :lol

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Talon- said:
Well the funny thing is that we've always had shouting matches over the past 5 years about conferences because he's a paranoid Pac-10 fan, and I'm from SEC country.

LSU winning in the 2007 season was pretty much the worst thing in the world for him. :lol

I didn't mean to come off so hostile. I live in Portland, OR and you would not believe how many lifelong Duck fans there are strutting around right now. It makes me sick.

Talon

MyFaceIsOnFire said:
I didn't mean to come off so hostile. I live in Portland, OR and you would not believe how many lifelong Duck fans there are strutting around right now. It makes me sick.
Yeah, I bet. At least down here in the south, the kids are brainwashed from infancy to be lifelongs.

Also, "I Love My Ducks" is the worst thing ever.

Anyways, I'm happy for him that his Ducks have become nationally relevant in the last couple years because his enduring memory was Joey's performance in the Holiday bowl. :lol

LJ11

Talon- said:
I'm excited to see the game at any rate. I don't really have a rooting interest in the game. I'd be glad for my bud if Oregon won, but I wouldn't be upset or anything

Yeah, I've been looking forward to this game for a while, watched both teams a lot this year, very fun to watch.

Just think Auburn has too much size for Oregon, definitely an interesting match up. Hoping it's a close game, expecting it to not be one.

Talon

LJ11 said:
Yeah, I've been looking forward to this game for a while, watched both teams a lot this year, very fun to watch.

Just think Auburn has too much size for Oregon, definitely an interesting match up. Hoping it's a close game, expecting it to not be one.
The main thing that gives me pause is that Oregon doesn't have someone that can consistently blow the top of coverage. Now, granted, Oregon is a run team first and foremost, but they're going to have to take advantage of the fact that Auburn's shaky on the backside to keep them on their heels.

Josh Huff is fast as fuck, but he's not a guy you can hit up top consistently. Maehl's faster than he's given credit for as well, but a bulk of his catches (USC game notwithstanding) come from finding holes in the zone on crossing routes.

I'm leaning Auburn 'cause I feel like Auburn will just start out punishing Oregon on the offensive and defensive lines due to the size/strength advantage, but it's not like Oregon isn't used to scoring points in bunches.

RBH

NEW YORK -- The playoffs' first two games set a slew of milestones for NFL television ratings.

The Seattle Seahawks' 41-36 upset of the New Orleans Saints on NBC earned the highest preliminary rating for the early Saturday wild card game in two decades. The 18.3 overnight rating, with a 33 share, was the best since the Redskins-Eagles game during the 1990 season and up 8 percent from last year's Jets-Bengals matchup.

The network said Sunday the two-game average of 19.4/33 was the best on Saturday since the 1994 season for Lions-Packers and Chiefs-Dolphins.

The New York Jets' last-second 17-16 victory over the Indianapolis Colts earned the highest rating since the NFL began airing prime-time wild card games in 2002. The 20.8/33 was the best for any Saturday wild card game since Arizona-Dallas during the 1999 season. It was up 6 percent from last year's Eagles-Cowboys game.

Ratings represent the percentage of all homes with televisions tuned into a program. Shares represent the percentage of all homes with TVs in use at the time. Overnight ratings measure the country's largest markets.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=6005639

storybook77 said:
This should be a fun week between Falcons-GAF and Packers-GAF.

dontfuckwitus-1.png

Didn't get everyone. Didnt include non Packer avatar members of Cheesehead GAF; man up and put the gear on like Welli and Dirtbag finally decided to do.
I am beginning to feel immense amounts of shame that I even spent the 5 minutes that I did on this. Will blame it on being drunk. Goodnight.

LJ11

Talon- said:
The main thing that gives me pause is that Oregon doesn't have someone that can consistently blow the top of coverage. Now, granted, Oregon is a run team first and foremost, but they're going to have to take advantage of the fact that Auburn's shaky on the backside to keep them on their heels.

Josh Huff is fast as fuck, but he's not a guy you can hit up top consistently. Maehl's faster than he's given credit for as well, but a bulk of his catches (USC game notwithstanding) come from finding holes in the zone on crossing routes.

I'm leaning Auburn 'cause I feel like Auburn will just start out punishing Oregon on the offensive and defensive lines due to the size/strength advantage, but it's not like Oregon isn't used to scoring points in bunches.

Hope it's as good as Ark/Aub, really fun game to watch even though Auburn pulled away at the end. I'd love another shoot-out like that.

Talon

storybook77 said:
This should be a fun week between Falcons-GAF and Packers-GAF.
Eh, it's not like you, RBH, verbum, tmdorsey, and I are ones to talk shit.

There's that one other guy with the Roddy avy that likes to, but he's rarely around.

On a side note, I was back home for the holidays and was glad to see a lot more Falcons gear. I hate bandwagoners as much as anybody, but sustained success is the only way you grow a fanbase. Let's hope we finally do it right with this Blank-Dimitroff-Smith-Ryan partnership.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
RBH said:

If the owners get 18 games, does that allow them to renegotiate the TV contracts? Just give everyone a raise. ESPN gives $2 billion for 17 games and no playoffs...

Did some research, here are the current contracts (per wiki):

CBS ($622.5 million/yr)
Fox ($712.5 million/yr)
NBC ($650 million/yr)
ESPN ($1.1 billion/yr)
NFL Network ($0/yr)

That's $3.085 billion total. NFL total revenue last year was $7.8 billion. I think I just found the real reason behind this possible lockout. Right now, player salaries are tied to a percentage of revenue. If everyone increases their TV contract by the same percentage as the reported ESPN number (actually $1.9 billion), then league revenue is going to go up by 28%. The owners don't want to give the players massive raises in 2 years when the contracts expire.

Sneaky bastards!

can someone explain to me the point of the out clause in Nmandi Osomgua's contract? Hey you are the best DB in the league but if you have a slightly off year the contract is voided and we can't franchise tag you!

Talon

chuckddd said:
That's $3.085 billion total. NFL total revenue last year was $7.8 billion. I think I just found the real reason behind this possible lockout. Right now, player salaries are tied to a percentage of revenue. If everyone increases their TV contract by the same percentage as the reported ESPN number (actually $1.9 billion), then league revenue is going to go up by 28%. The owners don't want to give the players massive raises in 2 years when the contracts expire.

Sneaky bastards!
Yup. This is why folks have been saying an 18 game season will happen. Create more revenue to keep the players' pool where it's at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom