• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NGP camera features?(use sun to light dark in Uncharted) [Up:1st Party Launch Titles]

onQ123

NGP camera features detailed

We have been busy finding out some top secret information on the NGP and we have managed to find out a little more about how they plan to use the camera in their launch window titles.

Our source close to Sony, who has seen the NGP in action already, gave us some information on how the camera is used in the upcoming Uncharted and Resistance titles for the NGP.

As a little quirk in Resistance players can pick up weapons that they are looking at on the screen by passing their hand underneath the camera on the outside of the NGP just as if they were picking up the weapon in real life.

In Uncharted, when a light source is required, pointing the outside camera at a nearby light or the sun will provide the necessary illumination.

These are both interesting uses of the technology that in first party titles that shows that Sony is keen for developers to make the most of the technology available in the handset to provide a more immersive experience.

Uncharted is due out with the NGP when it launches supposedly before Christmas and Resistance is slated for sometime between January and March 2012

pretty crazy if true

Update:

NGP first party launch titles:

Jolt said:
News has come to us of the first-party launch titles that Sony will be releasing with the NGP.

Our retail source has divulged that Sony plans to release four first-party titles with the NGP when they launch it later this year.

Slated to arrive with the handset in the third quarter of this financial year are Uncharted, ModNation Racers, Wipeout 2048 and a title called Smart As. The source also confirmed that there will be Resistance title out for the NGP some time between January and March of 2012.

The source also confirmed to us that, due to the troubles faced by Japan at the moment, it looks like we will be getting the NGP first.

By Ewan Aiton
Source: http://www.jolt.co.uk/news/33378/ngp-launch-titles-appear-on-the-radar/

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Kojima haunts my gaming experiences. Please, let us disable this. Think of the screen reflection and battery life.

KaYotiX

Banned
Oh I hope it's all optional, and please bring more than just ports. I really need an excuse to buy one but PS3 games I've already beat won't cut it.

They have the cool powerful tech they just need to learn how to put it to use.

i'm not really sold on all these control features(in fact it sounds really unnecessary) but hey i'll try it once and it most likely be optional so no complaining over here ^_^

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
This already sucked once in Boktai. Please don't let it be true.

The M.O.B

I know for a fact I will not be using any of that stupid, "swipe the backpad to climb the cliff" crap. Looked incredibly inconvenient.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
"And we're certainly not interested in gimmicks"

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
That sounds a bit too much. Also, Is Sony really gonna release two Uncharted titles at the same time?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Ickman3400 said:
Not interested in pointless gimmicks, I thought you were above this Sony!

It's obvious from the existence of sixaxis that they aren't. I just wish people would stop pretending new and imprecise controller gimmicks are the correct path to greater immersion. There is so much shit that could be improved within design that have nothing to do with input method. That's what people should be thinking about because that's what has the potential to benefit all future games. But I can see how Sony might prefer to focus on their proprietary gimmicks instead.

Draft

:lol

Yes, this is the kind of innovative thinking that will allow Sony to wrest control of the handheld space from Nintendo and Apple.

KAL2006

Banned
Lonely1 said:
That sounds a bit too much. Also, Is Sony really gonna release two Uncharted titles at the same time?

Uncharted NGP does not have a release date, I bet Uncharted NGP is not coming any sooner than a year after Uncharted 3 release.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
It's obvious from the existence of sixaxis that they aren't.

Ah I completely forgot about the sixaxis. I'm glad most devs chose to ignore that.

It's just..this was something I would expect from Nintendo but Sony seems to be ratcheting up the gimmicks on NGP. This, the pad on the back, motion and camera gimmicks...just stop the bullshit and make fun games.

antonz

KAL2006 said:
Uncharted NGP does not have a release date, I bet Uncharted NGP is not coming any sooner than a year after Uncharted 3 release.
On top of that with the heavily hinted one region launh since the thing was announced its not going to Europe before anywhere else lol

yurinka

Sounds great as an option. I'm pretty sure it will be optional.

Will be fun to see how the ones who trolled PSP with stuff like "no unique controls", "no handheld experience, it only has console-like games / ports", etc will change their memes.

In the NGP presentation thread they ignored the new IPs like Little Deviants, Gravity Daze or that AR fighter and continued with the same old stuff.

Now for sure will troll hard stuff like that in home console IPs. Even if it's just a weak rumor.

The really interesting thing that nobody seems to see is that SONY will possible release the NGP close to Uncharted 3 release date.

This may be a good thing because of the connection that the NGP/PS3 may have that it hasn't been announced.

This E3 may not come sooner.

Einbroch

Banned
Boo hoo. Let's all complain about something that is 99.99% optional.

It has to be. Play your NGP late at night with no lights and you're SOL? No. It's optional.

demolitio

Oh hell. I'm going to carry around my old military flashlight everywhere I go. The one is enough to blind people so I hope that happens ingame. :p

Do they mean something like this?
counterfeit_money.jpg

or just point at the sun if you want to illuminate something, cause that wouldn't make much sense, but my example would, and it could be pretty neat.

Izayoi

Banned
Well that sounds just downright terrible.

If shit like that is required to play a game I definitely won't be purchasing those games.

Takao

Banned
Isn't Nintendo doing this with the OoT remake? I swear I read something similar to that. Bad ideas aren't limited to one side.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
It's got full dual analog and doesn't need anything else.

exactly.

these nintendo-ish ideas always sound great in concept, but are not practical or fun. You just know the "weapon pick-up" motion is gonna be finnicky as hell.

Izayoi

Banned
Takao said:
Isn't Nintendo doing this with the OoT remake? I swear I read something similar to that. Bad ideas aren't limited to one side.
Hahaha, no. There's an optional feature that lets you tilt the console to move first person view that nobody will use, but we know for a fact that it's optional. I want confirmation that this stupid shit will be optional as well.

Squalltdx

Let them have their fun and play around with their new toy. Those features are optional for obvious reasons. Down the road some pretty neat stuff could come out of it though. There'll be trail and error in the tricks /gimmicks they come up with, but I rather they try some quirky things then nothing at all. Also choosing the right games try is key too I'll add.

This option is part of the augmented reality experience that the NGP will make available for all developers and games, and it's just an option well welcomed, I for one like the gimmick at least they are trying to get more creative with the game.

Top Bottom