• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NGP camera features?(use sun to light dark in Uncharted) [Up:1st Party Launch Titles]

Atomski

coldvein said:
who even plays portables in the sun, for that matter?

I wonder if you will even be able to see the screen with the awful glare. I could not see shit on the psp outside in the sun. I can't imagine they fixed that in the NGP. :/

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
This option is part of the augmented reality experience that the NGP will make available for all developers and games, and it's just an option well welcomed, I for one like the gimmick at least they are trying to get more creative with the game.

They should be focused on making the actual game better instead of tacking on every possible input gimmick they can think of. It won't add anything of substance to the game.

What the heck are you guys thinking? You don't need a light source on the screen.

The camera is on the back and you will point the NGP toward the light source to make this work.
Jeez....some of you have no imagination.
To me this sounds pretty cool.

IN B4 GIMM-

goomba said:
Nice to see Sony come up with some gimmicks of their own.
:(

Oh well. I think Sony should use gimmicks to create new experiences, Uncharted is HARDCOREZOMG and people will not accept well. *reads thread for fun fun fun*

yurinka

By the way, the article says "pointing the outside camera at a nearby light or the sun", not just the sun.

You still can use it by night in your bedroom.

wsippel said:
That sun stuff sounds very similar to something Kojima Productions did on GBA almost a decade ago.
Yep, Botkai.

Atomski said:
I wonder if you will even be able to see the screen with the awful glare. I could not see shit on the psp outside in the sun. I can't imagine they fixed that in the NGP. :/
Dude is a OLED screen, you won't need to
Worry about that.

MightyKAC

Why are people pinging on Sony when they complain about these gimmicks when it's the developers that are the one's implementing them? All Sony is doing is providing the tech and while I'm sure they want it to be showcased in the their games, it's not like they're holding a gun to anyones head and saying "you MUST use it in THIS WAY!!!"

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
MightyKAC said:
Why are people pinging on Sony when they complain about these gimmicks when it's the developers that are the one's implementing them? All Sony is doing is providing the tech and while I'm sure they want it to be showcased in the their games, it's not like they're holding a gun to anyones head and saying "you MUST use it in THIS WAY!!!"

Glad someone understands.

They are just showing the tech and the possibilities that come with it to use in games.

I think that it's the source who is making it sound like if it were an obligation.

totowhoa

Banned
Resistance feature would be okay and really an interesting feature for other games (not so much this one from the way I'm imagining it) if you could just swipe a single free finger or two instead of a whole "hand", as the article stated, in order to perform a function.

Do NOT force me to fiddle with a light source in some slow-ass cave exploration area so I can see some shit. Jesus Christ, be optional, or don't exist at all. Uncharted is not the genre for this gimmickry. Find something more suitable, if you must.

MightyKAC said:

If they made the system without this crap then it can't ever be used, optional or not. I've heard more about gimmicks in this uncharted then the actual game. It's completely dulled the excitement.

dat glare flashbacks :mad: , i am getting flashbacks too haha

I'll be optimistic in that its optional, nice to have a variety i guess, let's go e3!!!!!

Uncharted launch title as well :D

Boney

Banned
MightyKAC said:
Yeah that was what I was thinking. The inclusion of all this stupid (optional) shit in Uncharted has me worried. What the hell are the designers smoking?

The resistance example sounds awful as well.

SalsaShark said:
Yeah Sony isnt really understanding how to be Nintendo.
Guess what?

They're not suppose to. =O

*Sony copies nintendo* People complain they're ripping them off.

*Sony doesn't copy nintendo* People complain they don't know how to be like nintendo.

Yay. Another sony thread, another shitstorm incoming.

Half from people who have no interest in buying NGP anyway

LQX

If true and a major feature that's one Uncharted I may never finish as my handhelds don't leave the house.

Meier

Shit sounds awful -- both the Uncharted and Resistance implementations. And playing a screen like that anywhere near sunlight? PASS.

guina

I'm here hoping they are developing these gimmick gameplay mechanics just to get attention from developers, like "hey you can do this, and that, and that too" Because if Uncharted use all the gimmicks they showed us so far... oh boy.

MightyKAC

Ickman3400 said:
If they made the system without this crap then it can't ever be used, optional or not. I've heard more about gimmicks in this uncharted then the actual game. It's completely dulled the excitement.

Sooo..... now you want Sony to take features like the camera as well as others out because YOU can't see a use for them??

klee123

Wow, this is about appealing as the 3D feature in the 3DS.

However, as long as it's not mandatory in the game I can live with it.

MightyKAC said:
Sooo..... now you want Sony to take features like the camera as well as others out because YOU can't see a use for them??

Well people are so quick to put 100% of the blame on developers. They can't use what's not there. It's pretty obvious that, much like nintendo, sony is encouraging the use of these gimmicks.

btkadams

whatever. as long as it's not really critical to the main gameplay. i really loved how in resistance you shake the dualshock to put out the fire. stuff like that is subtle and immersive. i'm fine with them adding in little gimmicks like that.

also, uncharted at launch?!!!!! uncharted + wipeout at launch could be deadly.

MightyKAC

Ickman3400 said:
Well people are so quick to put 100% of the blame on developers. They can't use what's not there. It's pretty obvious that, much like nintendo, sony is encouraging the use of these gimmicks.

If they make these alternate interfaces mandatory then yes, I will blame the games developer, but honestly I kinda doubt that it will be. That and I trust that ND will make the right decisions when they make this game so I'm not really worried about it.

And besides these are launch titles. They're SUPPOSED to show folks all the little things that the system can do.

MightyKAC

btkadams said:
whatever. as long as it's not really critical to the main gameplay. i really loved how in resistance you shake the dualshock to put out the fire. stuff like that is subtle and immersive. i'm fine with them adding in little gimmicks like that.

also, uncharted at launch?!!!!! uncharted + wipeout at launch could be deadly.

Another article from the same site is reporting rumors that are stating that very possibility.

News has come to us of the first-party launch titles that Sony will be releasing with the NGP.
Our retail source has divulged that Sony plans to release four first-party titles with the NGP when they launch it later this year.

Slated to arrive with the handset in the third quarter of this financial year are Uncharted, ModNation Racers, Wipeout 2048 and a title called Smart As. The source also confirmed that there will be Resistance title out for the NGP some time between January and March of 2012.

The source also confirmed to us that, due to the troubles faced by Japan at the moment, it looks like we will be getting the NGP first.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Ugh, please keep this gimmicky bullshit out of gaming. Give me a good game, that's all I want. A console Uncharted or Resistance experience on the go is enough to get a sale from me... start bogging it down with this kind of crap though and my interest starts to drop quickly. It shows a real broken design philosophy to me.

rekameohs said:
Uncharted NGP seems to be the most gimmicky game ever...

Reminds me of E3 2006:

"Here at Sony we aren't interested in gimmicks" - Kaz Hirai
*Guy on stage starts shaking the sixaxis controller around wildly to control Lair*

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Creative, would never want to use the two mentioned uses of the tech though. Kind of reaching closer to gimmicky uses like the fate the wiimote suffered.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Sounds absolutely terrible. This type of software doesn't need these gimmicks.

Top Bottom