• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NGP camera features?(use sun to light dark in Uncharted) [Up:1st Party Launch Titles]

Hydrargyrus

This implementation sucks a lot, but I believe that there are a plenty of possibilities with all these things: two cameras, two multitouch surfaces, two sticks...

I kinda like the idea of using your hand to litteraly pick a weapon, it would work nice with Kinnect too I guess. In addition to the traditionnal controls of course, it doesn't seem more annoying than keeping the X button pressed for a second or so, or to press a key that's on the other side of the keyboard.

Fezan

Hydrargyrus said:
This implementation sucks a lot, but I believe that there are a plenty of possibilities with all these things: two cameras, two multitouch surfaces, two sticks...

is it bad that i am thinking dirty things???

As a little quirk in Resistance players can pick up weapons that they are looking at on the screen by passing their hand underneath the camera on the outside of the NGP just as if they were picking up the weapon in real life.

I can't decide if this is the best thing ever or the worst thing ever.

Wow, flashbacks to Boktai-discrimination of countries to which the sun says "Meh.....""

Time to get my articial lamps out again and close the curtains......

Graphics Horse said:
I can't decide if this is the best thing ever or the worst thing ever.

How about if you use your third arm so you can keep your hands on the buttons...

complete. male. domination

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm pretty sure that this is optional. What if people wants to play during night time? Or even when there is a solar eclipse?! Hehe. Sounds like a cool feature though.

Ashour

BudokaiMR2 said:
It's the NGP.

Pointing the camera at the sun damages the SUN.
I laughed.

I'm sure they want to put a lot of ideas in the launch window games to showcase the features to developers and the public. But like the other feathers they showed on the Uncharted demo, I hope this is optional. Kinda like the idea though.

A new boktai on ngp would be perfect. Glorious 2D, using online to track weather conditions in the real world and have the game react accordingly. Ngp is said to have location based games, it would be cool if they could expand on weather and date time to give ngp a closer tie to the real world.

Carl

I think it sounds pretty neat, actually.

Don't see why everyone is screaming like a little girl about it

Ydahs

Sounds stupid, lame and unnecessary. With that said, I somehow doubt that this will not be optional (unless it's being forced by Sony). And I'm sure a normal light will be able to replicate the effect a sun has any way so it's not like we're gonna have to leave the house to progress in the game.

MightyKAC said:
Another article from the same site is reporting rumors that are stating that very possibility.
Slated to arrive with the handset in the third quarter of this financial year are Uncharted, ModNation Racers, Wipeout 2048 and a title called Smart As.

Wow somehow I missed that ModNation Racers was coming for it (was hoping for a ModNation 2, so nice that they are still working on the franchise). Guess, I would, if true get two games at launch.

The Uncharted feature sounds pretty nice to use, cant really say do not want or not, until I actually try it.

French

Banned
Ashour said:
I'm sure they want to put a lot of ideas in the launch window games to showcase the features to developers and the public. But like the other feathers they showed on the Uncharted demo, I hope this is optional. Kinda like the idea though.

Yeah, the rear touch panel for example looks very cool for games like Little Deviants, but I'm glad it's optional for games like Uncharted.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
French said:
Yeah, the rear touch panel for example looks very cool for games like Little Deviants, but I'm glad it's optional for games like Uncharted.
Speaking of Little Deviants, I'm really surprised it is not listed as one of the launch titles in the rumor.

yurinka

Strive said:
Doesn't it reduce the battery by a lot if the camera is always on while playing the game?
I assume it's turned on only when it's going to be used in the game. Like in Uncharted, when you find a certain puzzle that is going to use it.

theBishop

Banned
I'm there for wipeout and uncharted. Smart As looks interesting too. As much as I like the Resistance series, I don't think Nihilistic has ever made a good game. So im definitely concerned about that one.

KingDizzi

Banned
That Resistance game is going to be awful looking at the track record of the devs behind it. Got high hopes for Uncharted and of course Wipeout, it looks like this handheld is coming out this year? Fuck yes if true, got the money ready Sony, teaser trailer for GT NGP during E3 and I'm a happy lad.

Edit - Anyone reckon there will be interactions between Uncharted 3/Uncharted NGP seeing as though the latter is probably releasing late this year as well?

yurinka

NGP with Uncharted, A NEW WIPEOUT (at least the name :p) and (a new, I assume) Modnation Racers before Christmas in Europe?
Please-Take-my-Money.jpg

Corto

KingDizzi said:
That Resistance game is going to be awful looking at the track record of the devs behind it. Got high hopes for Uncharted and of course Wipeout, it looks like this handheld is coming out this year? Fuck yes if true, got the money ready Sony, teaser trailer for GT NGP during E3 and I'm a happy lad.

*edit: sorry didn't knew that they have a different team developing this new Resistance for the NGP.

KAL2006

Banned
So this is the rumored launch games
WipeOut 2048
Uncharted
Modnation Racers
Smart As
Resistance (launch window)

how reliable is this source, Uncharted NGP coming out near Uncharted 3 seems like a bad idea. Also I didn't know there was a Modnation Racers NGP announced but if true that is good news, they can make tons of improvements on Modnation Racers and it is a game that fits for a handheld. Also Resistance NGP only 3-6 months after Resistance 3 is also a silly idea. Out of the shooters, Killzone should have have been the first one to release first as Killzone 3 release is more far off than Resistance 3 and Uncharted 3. Smart As for launch is a good idea as it is not your typical franchise title but something different that makes use of NGP unique controls. WipreOut is also a good pick for a launch title but it would be competing with Modnation racers which is another racers though quite different but still.

I also thought LittleDeviants would have made it for launch or near launch, maybe it is just a digital game or a pack in game.

This is how I think the launch lineup should be
LittleDeviants (Pack in)
Killzone
Smart As
Modnation Racers
Platformer like Jak, Sly or ratchet

thats a nice mix of genres and no game would compete against another game whether its on PS3 or NGP

Note: of course this is all not including 3rd party games

Kojima will go wild with crazy tech like this. Imagine the kind of mad gameplay experiences he can craft with touch panels, light sensitive cameras and motion control all in one device - mindboggling!

Launch titles seem pretty strong. I'd be up for some Uncharted and Wipeout action. Don't know why they keep pushing Modnation though, I thought it was pretty terrible during the Beta testing, was the full game really great or something?

Djin1979 said:
Double dose of Uncharted this year ! Not sure if it's a smart move from Sony, but i'd buy them both anyway.

I dont understand why having two unrelated Uncharted's on two platforms is not good. I think Uncharted is necessary for launch as it is perhaps going to be the breakout title for the device. I think its necessary for launch. Isnt what people want with this device, same day releases of PS3/NGP titles? No one mentioned Call of Duty MW3...If most launch games ever only get <130K in their launch month, then there is no competition at all between a million selling robust console version, than a portable game.

Takao

Banned
Smucks need LBP, and Modnation for launch as 2 prong copy strategy of a successful Nintendo launch.

°°ToMmY°° said:
A new boktai on ngp would be perfect. Glorious 2D, using online to track weather conditions in the real world and have the game react accordingly. Ngp is said to have location based games, it would be cool if they could expand on weather and date time to give ngp a closer tie to the real world.

Both KojiPro, and Clap Hanz made location based games based on the PSP GPS peripheral, so I have to imagine the two have something cooking for the NGP (as both as confirmed to have projects in the work).

KAL2006

Banned
Appollowexx said:
Kojima will go wild with crazy tech like this. Imagine the kind of mad gameplay experiences he can craft with touch panels, light sensitive cameras and motion control all in one device - mindboggling!

Launch titles seem pretty strong. I'd be up for some Uncharted and Wipeout action. Don't know why they keep pushing Modnation though, I thought it was pretty terrible during the Beta testing, was the full game really great or something?

Never played Modnation myself but I heard it is okay but it had other problems like long load times. It's a game that can be improved with some work. also the create aspect like LittleBigPlanet would work great on the NGP, you could use the touchscreen to create tracks, you can use the camera to take picture and import them into the tracks. Motion sensor, touch and backtouch can also be used for some of the weapon pickups like when shooting a missile you use motion to curl the missile, or touch a part of the screen to place the mine there. Modnation is a game that is really suitable for handhelds as it is a pick up an play game, the LiveArea feature of NGP can be used to keep track of your friends created tracks and highscores.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Neat idea if optional, but can't see myself using it at all.

KAL2006

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
I dont understand why having two unrelated Uncharted's on two platforms is not good. I think Uncharted is necessary for launch as it is perhaps going to be the breakout title for the device. I think its necessary for launch. Isnt what people want with this device, same day releases of PS3/NGP titles? No one mentioned Call of Duty MW3...If most launch games ever only get <130K in their launch month, then there is no competition at all between a million selling robust console version, than a portable game.

Because they compete with eachtoher and people may just get one of the other or get tired of Uncharted after playing one of the versions. Do you see Nintendo ever release a Mario platformer on DS and Wii around the same time, no they release it on DS first and market the hell out of it, then once everyone has forgot about Mario, they release Mario on Wii a year later and by then it is fresh again.

EDIT: If Uncharted NGP comes out around the same time as Uncharted 3, I will only get Uncharted 3 because I will be busy with that, and after finishing Uncharted 3, I won't get Uncharted NGP as I would feel burnt out from that franchise and would want to play something different. I would buy Uncharted NGP much later, by then it will be cheap in a used game store.

KingDizzi

Banned
Could work out though, how about connectivity between the PS3/NGP versions of Uncharted? The biggie here is that we don't know about 3rd party support yet and hopefully E3 will be where we get that info. A solid 3rd party lineup and those mentioned first party games during release would be mint. Watching E3 for two reasons this year with one being the Nintendo console and most of all NGP info. Should be seeing lots of games announced for it if it's releasing this year.

Takao

Banned
KAL2006 said:
Never played Modnation myself but I heard it is okay but it had other problems like long load times. It's a game that can be improved with some work. also the create aspect like LittleBigPlanet would work great on the NGP, you could use the touchscreen to create tracks, you can use the camera to take picture and import them into the tracks. Motion sensor, touch and backtouch can also be used for some of the weapon pickups like when shooting a missile you use motion to curl the missile, or touch a part of the screen to place the mine there. Modnation is a game that is really suitable for handhelds as it is a pick up an play game, the LiveArea feature of NGP can be used to keep track of your friends created tracks and highscores.

Modnation on NGP will actually work very nicely because of the pressure sensitive touch panels. On both the PSP, and PS3 versions it's a bit unintuitive to create the elevations in tracks because you're using either buttons, or the analog sticks. You don't get a good feel for the movements you're making. I'd also imagine track flow will feel more natural if designed with a hand rather than analog sticks.

Nirolak said:
Speaking of Little Deviants, I'm really surprised it is not listed as one of the launch titles in the rumor.

That is the reason I partly distrust the rumour. Everything I have heard suggests it'll be there day one. Its the show-piece for the rear trackpad.

asa

Wipeout 2048!? Didn't really care for the system at all, but if Wipeout is coming It's day one for me! any rumors about studio Liverpool being involved?

asa said:
Wipeout 2048!? Didn't really care for the system at all, but if Wipeout is coming It's day one for me! any rumors about studio Liverpool being involved?

They still exist so there's no reason that they wouldn't be the developer behind it.

electroshockwave said:
I've never heard of this site before, are they trustworthy?

Nothing here sounds particularly implausible, but it's also the sort of thing that just about anyone could make up (since all the games here, except ModNation, have been previously announced). And I'd be more willing to believe it if Little Deviants was mentioned.

Dedication Through Light said:
I dont understand why having two unrelated Uncharted's on two platforms is not good.

Because if they both come out at the same time, no one will buy the portable version.

charlequin said:
Because if they both come out at the same time, no one will buy the portable version.

Well Sony released the PSP and PS3 versions of Modnation Racers on the same day, if that counts. Oh well, I guess we will see, if the rumor comes to fruition.

charlequin said:

Hardly anyone will buy the portable version anyway, just because it won't be the "real" Uncharted.

I really don't like this strategy of releasing spinoff console games for portables. Just make one game, and have it run on both ps3 and ngp. That's how you make the ecosystem grow.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Wipeout being a launch title is awesome news.

Every Body's Golf not being a launch title sucks.

Top Bottom