• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NGP camera features?(use sun to light dark in Uncharted) [Up:1st Party Launch Titles]

Kyoufu

H_Prestige said:
Hardly anyone will buy the portable version anyway, just because it won't be the "real" Uncharted.

I really don't like this strategy of releasing spinoff console games for portables. Just make one game, and have it run on both ps3 and ngp. That's how you make the ecosystem grow.

I would prefer original spin-off games than straight ports unless the game boasted cross-platform play that justified me buying the same game twice.

H_Prestige said:
Hardly anyone will buy the portable version anyway, just because it won't be the "real" Uncharted.

True, but even fewer people will buy it if it's in the same window as UC3.

I really don't like this strategy of releasing spinoff console games for portables.

Me neither.

KAL2006

Banned
H_Prestige said:

I really don't like this strategy of releasing spinoff console games for portables. Just make one game, and have it run on both ps3 and ngp. That's how you make the ecosystem grow.

So you would prefer a port than a completely new game in the franchise. I would rather have a new game, so I get 2 Uncharted games to play (Uncharted 3 and Uncharted NGP) as long as they are released a year away from each other it would be cool. If NGP got a port I would just get one version so what would be the fucking point. As for spin offs, I actually enjoyed Killzone Liberation, GoW Chains of Olympus, MGS Peace Walker, Twisted Metal Head On, and Syphon Filter PSP. I also heard Resistance Retribution and Ghost of Sparta are also pretty good.

KAL2006 said:
So you would prefer a port than a completely new game in the franchise. I would rather have a new game, so I get 2 Uncharted games to play (Uncharted 3 and Uncharted NGP) as long as they are released a year away from each other it would be cool. If NGP got a port I would just get one version so what would be the fucking point. As for spin offs, I actually enjoyed Killzone Liberation, GoW Chains of Olympus, MGS Peace Walker, Twisted Metal Head On, and Syphon Filter PSP. I also heard Resistance Retribution and Ghost of Sparta are also pretty good.

But you will have a new game. It's Uncharted 3. How is Uncharted NGP going to equal that?

Ryuuga

Banned
H_Prestige said:
But you will have a new game. It's Uncharted 3. How is Uncharted NGP going to equal that?

What exactly are you asking here? I was under the impression that fans would want more of what they love regardless of the package it came in. I don't see how it'd be any less desirable to have an entirely new scenario built around the portable experience second to console cousin than to just be a straight port.

KAL2006

Banned
H_Prestige said:

?

you are saying you would prefer NGP to just have ports instead of spin offs, I am saying I would rather have spin offs

If you have ports, you only get 1 game for 2 platforms
e.g Uncharted 3 for PS3/NGP

If you have spin offs you get 2 different games
e.g Uncharted 3 for PS3, and Uncharted Spin off for NGP

Also just because a spin off is not as good as the main game doesn't make a spin off shit, Uncharted 3 can be a great game and Uncharted NGP can be a decent game too. Also many folks have actually preffered spin offs to main franchises such as people preffering Ghost of Sparta over GoW3, some people also preferred Resistance Retribution over Resistance 2. I thought Twisted Metal Head On was better than Twisted Metal 2.

Massa

H_Prestige said:

If it's more like Uncharted 1 than 2 then I'll probably be more excited to play it over Uncharted 3.

Takao

Banned
Jinfash said:
Wipeout being a launch title is awesome news.

Every Body's Golf not being a launch title sucks.

Yeah, that is a pretty big omission. I guess I can see them rationalizing that idea if NGP doesn't launch in Japan first.

Shiiiiiit. I will definitely pick up NGP and Uncharted+Wipeout on launch day. I wonder what 3rd party titles it will launch with? Even those few games mentioned makes it a much better launch lineup than most consoles recently.

Sony better not be banking on a quiz game as their only new IP for launch. 3DS launch was hurt by a catalog of retreads and sequels - Sony should use the launch of a system to introduce new IP's before it gets inundated with high-profile sequels and spinoffs that leave it in the same position as the PSP.

In other words, where's my Gravity Daze and Little Deviants?

Bizzyb

Banned
Celsior said:
That is by far the stupidest thing since the mandatory blowing into the mic on Ds games.

Actually it's pretty cool in games like nintendogs where you actually blow bubbles and inflate balloons.

Don't mistake Nintendo's "cool gimmicks" for Sony's "stupid gimmicks"

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
My Christmas gift right there. Two Uncharted games in half a year? Hell yeah.

... Although this one isn't a real Uncharted. Huh.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Leona Lewis said:
In order words, where's my Gravity Daze and Little Deviants?
This woman speaks the truth!

I still have faith in Little Deviants making the launch line-up, as others said it's the show-piece for most of the NGP's new inputs. Gravity Daze, on the other hand needs to make it out as soon as possible, or at least make a bigger splash during E3, otherwise our short attention spans will quickly get over it.

KAL2006

Banned
Leona Lewis said:
Sony better not be banking on a quiz game as their only new IP for launch. 3DS launch was hurt by a catalog of retreads and sequels - Sony should use the launch of a system to introduce new IP's before it gets inundated with high-profile sequels and spinoffs that leave it in the same position as the PSP.

In order words, where's my Gravity Daze and Little Deviants?

PS3 launched with only Resistance and MotorStorm as the only new IPs. Yet Sony managed to make inFamous, Uncharted, Modnation, LittleBigPlanet and Heavy Rain.

DS launch had no new IPs from Nintendo yet Nintendo managed to make Brain Age, Nintendogs and etc.

Also are you sure Smart As is a quiz game, I thought it was some sort of puzzle game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Jinfash said:
This woman speaks the truth!

I still have faith in Little Deviants making the launch line-up, as others said it's the show-piece for most of the NGP's new inputs. Gravity Daze, on the other hand needs to make it out as soon as possible, or at least make a bigger splash during E3, otherwise our short attention spans will quickly get over it.
I'm kind of wondering if Little Deviants will be a pack-in game.

charlequin said:
Because if they both come out at the same time, no one will buy the portable version.

I don't think it's that simple. For a start they are completely different games, and playing one will probably make you want to play the other.

Most people buying an NGP will buy Uncharted with it, so that will boost sales in spite of U3. It seems like it will be the NGP equivalent of SSFIV 3D (ie. there will be fuck all available for the platform at launch, so you kind of have to buy it if you want to get any use out of your new console). So it's not really a case of "Uncharted 3 vs Uncharted NGP", it's more like "Uncharted 3 vs NGP, with an Uncharted game thrown in", which I know isn't a competition that's going to happen in the minds of consumers - NGP is going to be a whole new thing that is only competing with 3DS/iPad in their minds, not current consoles.

Agent X

Appollowexx said:
Launch titles seem pretty strong. I'd be up for some Uncharted and Wipeout action. Don't know why they keep pushing Modnation though, I thought it was pretty terrible during the Beta testing, was the full game really great or something?

The PS3 game is very good. There are already plenty of tracks and cool characters/vehicles on the disc, but there's a wealth of user-created content as well. The single-player Career mode is lengthy, and becomes rather challenging later on (which I liked, but your mileage may vary). The biggest problem with the game are the very long load times--they released a patch that reduced the loading a little, but it's still way longer than it should be. Most of my friends seemed to lose interest after a few weeks, due to the load times and/or ramped-up challenge in the single-player. I myself gave it a rest after I completed the Career mode several months ago, although I popped in the game a just few days ago and had some fun with it.

As far as the PSP version goes, I've only played the demo, but that one seemed good as well. It uses a variation of the (awesome) Wipeout Pulse engine, so the performance (by PSP standards) is excellent, although the visuals and the "depth" of user creations aren't as robust as the PS3 game.

An NGP version of ModNation Racers could be fun, but I don't know if it should be a launch title. I don't think I'd get it for myself unless the game engine was at least comparable to the PS3 game, and it included a considerable amount of new content, such as a whole new Career mode with new tracks and a new storyline. Obviously the existing PSP game cannot exchange user-created content with the PS3 game, but if the NGP game had this ability, then it would make the game much more appealing.

Takao

Banned
Slayven said:
Somebody need to bring back that game where you scan barcodes to unlock monsters.

While it's not the same, Invizimals will likely be on NGP. It was a camera-based PSP game and is one of the few successful new IPs launched on the platform.

Nirolak said:

I actually think this may be the case as well. While the Little Deviants concept is great on paper, I'm a bit confused on how one could elevate that game to support a retail release (and the game would need a retail release given it's apparently using an entire first party studio's resources). Though, I can kind of argue the same for Reality Fighters, Broken, and Smart As unless future showings dazzle us.

KAL2006

Banned
Nirolak said:

It would be the perfect pack in game, just as how WiiSports and Face Raiders show of the new controls for 3DS and Wii.

I think they should pack in 2 games (doesn't 3DS come with more than 1 AR game)
Little Deviants and an AR game

Little Deviants would be a great way to show off touch controls (front and back)
AR game would be great way to show off camera and motion controls with augmented reality

The games don't exactly have to be huge, probably as big as those 3DS AR games

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Bizzyb said:
Actually it's pretty cool in games like nintendogs where you actually blow bubbles and inflate balloons.

Don't mistake Nintendo's "cool gimmicks" for Sony's "stupid gimmicks"
Blowing into the mic was never a 'cool' gimmick.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Nirolak said:
I absolutely agree. It would extremely smart of them to follow Nintendo's suit by preinstalling Little Deviants on every NGP (still crossing my fingers for internal flash storage or a prepacked basic storage card). A game like that, that will supposedly showcase a major part of their NGP philosophies, needs as much exposure as it can get. It also goes without saying that they can milk it with DLCs to make up for such a move.

plainr_ said:
Ports > Spin offs

Original > Ports
I agree. I get the sense that if Bend, Cambridge, Nihilistic, Ready at Dawn etc. had been allowed to do something new on PSP, at least one monster IP would've emerged the same way Uncharted did with ND. Instead, now they're all once again working on spin-offs. At least with ports, you'd have a small team handling the port and the rest working on a new IP instead of wasting all their manpower on creating a spinoff. Shame.

But maybe I'm totally underestimating the size of these dev teams and will eat crow at E3. That's my hope, at least.

KAL2006

Banned
plainr_ said:
Ports > Spin offs

Original > Ports

Original > Spin Off > Ports

I can't believe people actually prefer ports so much compared to spin offs.

Uncharted 3 and Uncharted Spin off > 2 versions of Uncharted 3
God of War 2 and GoW Chains of Olympus > 2 versions of God of War 2
Twisted Metal Black and Twisted Metal Head On > 2 versions of Twisted Metal Black
Killzone Liberation and Killzone > 2 versions of Killzone

The only spin offs that really disappointed me and I would have preferred a port are Gran Turismo and and LittleBigPlanet PSP. Bit all the other spin offs are way better than just getting a port.

Though of course original IP is the best

KAL2006 said:
Original > Spin Off > Ports

I can't believe people actually prefer ports so much compared to spin offs.

Uncharted 3 and Uncharted Spin off > 2 versions of Uncharted 3
God of War 2 and GoW Chains of Olympus > 2 versions of God of War 2
Twisted Metal Black and Twisted Metal Head On > 2 versions of Twisted Metal Black
Killzone Liberation and Killzone > 2 versions of Killzone

The only spin offs that really disappointed me and I would have preferred a port are Gran Turismo and and LittleBigPlanet PSP. Bit all the other spin offs are way better than just getting a port.

Though of course original IP is the best
I think his point is that ports are better than spin-offs if spin-offs prevent a developer from creating an original game due to limited resources and manpower. Port + Original IP > Spin-off, but ideally there'd be no reason to choose among them.

KAL2006

Banned
I just remembered PSP launch lineup was also quite good

WipeOute Pure
Lumines
Twisted Metal Head On
HotShots Golf
Metal Gear Acid
Ridge Racer
DarkStalkers Chronicle

European launch had these too
Burnout Legends
Gripshift
MediEvil
Virtua tennis World Tour
Tales of Eternia

KAL2006 said:
I just remembered PSP launch lineup was also quite good

WipeOute Pure
Lumines
Twisted Metal Head On
HotShots Golf
Metal Gear Acid
Ridge Racer
DarkStalkers Chronicle

European launch had these too
Burnout Legends
Gripshift
MediEvil
Virtua tennis World Tour
Tales of Eternia
Don't forget Untold Legends. Minus the awful load times, that game was amazing at the time. Felt like Diablo in my pocket.

And Darkstalkers was like O_O WOW for me, first arcade-perfect handheld fighter. And Ridge Racer, Wipeout, Twisted Metal Online...fun times.

I wish I could feel like I did back then about games. Then, the first time I heard of a game was when I popped it into the system. Now, nothing seems to ever impress me because I get hyped up reading every bit of juicy news :-(

Bizzyb

Banned
Rewrite said:
Blowing into the mic was never a 'cool' gimmick.

Yes, it was. It was a new level of interaction, never before seen. But what was even better was the voice recognition.

I'm always a fan of new ways to interact with my videogames but these NGP gimmicks seem stupid.

Top Bottom