• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Fei

Marcus Foligno on why the Sabres made a late push to win the game: "I think Winnipeg was just tired from shooting so much."

Marcus, you sound like a man ready to join depressed Sabres-GAF in the Offseason thread.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Assuming Florida holds onto the #1 pick are they going to go with Mackinnon for sure? It'd be hard to pass up on Jones, he's going to be a franchise D man. I'd take both him and Druin over Mackinnon tbh.

Assuming Florida holds onto the #1 pick are they going to go with Mackinnon for sure? It'd be hard to pass up on Jones, he's going to be a franchise D man. I'd take both him and Druin over Mackinnon tbh.

I'm sure Avs fans are hoping that Florida'd take Mac so they can get Jones. I've liked what I've seen of MacKinnon, but Drouin's been looking great this season...probably my favorite player in the draft (which is depressing because there's no way the Flyers end up with him.) We need Jones or Nurse, but I'm guessing it'll be a choice been Ristolainen and Zadorov (and then we'll take another center instead anyway.)

Tonight's game against Boston'll be...interesting. Time to field the greatest Tanking Defense ever. With Timonen out, it's officially the Luke Schenn+Extreme 2013-14 Preseason extravaganza.

We are deep on young D and have a few studs in Gudbranson, Kulikov, and Matherson. Also IMO using a top pick on a D-man is risky, the best one are usually mid-late picks.

Drafting Drouin is like drafting Huberdeau again, with Drouin being smaller. We need a #1C and a player who can make an immediate impact. MacKinnon is that guy, he is NHL ready.

Also I think Drouin is the better junior player, but with his fame, he'll have a tought transition to the NHL.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I guess, but while drafting a D that high is usually risky, Jones is NHL ready now, I think he's so good you don't need to worry about that. Also Druin > Huberdeau, but you're right in that they're in the same mold of player. Florida is going to be pretty stacked in a couple years.

Curufinwe

I'm sure Avs fans are hoping that Florida'd take Mac so they can get Jones. I've liked what I've seen of MacKinnon, but Drouin's been looking great this season...probably my favorite player in the draft (which is depressing because there's no way the Flyers end up with him.) We need Jones or Nurse, but I'm guessing it'll be a choice been Ristolainen and Zadorov (and then we'll take another center instead anyway.)

Tonight's game against Boston'll be...interesting. Time to field the greatest Tanking Defense ever. With Timonen out, it's officially the Luke Schenn+Extreme 2013-14 Preseason extravaganza.

If the Flyers get Ristolainen I wonder if Timonen would let him live at his house during his first year the way Briere did with Giroux and Couturier.

Socreges

Banned
I guess, but while drafting a D that high is usually risky, Jones is NHL ready now, I think he's so good you don't need to worry about that. Also Druin > Huberdeau, but you're right in that they're in the same mold of player. Florida is going to be pretty stacked in a couple years.
I think Huberdeau will end up being the more successful NHL player.

Socreges

Banned
Way too hard to predict now, but I think Druin looks more impressive at this stage then Huberdeau did.
Agreed, but then I misunderstood what "Also Druin > Huberdeau" meant in a conversation about who should be drafted

soc and red! why are you down here with the peasa...........common folk.
Looking at their somber, emaciated faces reminds me to cherish every playoff berth.

Curufinwe

Does anyone know for sure if teams using the compliance buyouts this offseason and next offseason have to place the player on waivers?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Does anyone know for sure if teams using the compliance buyouts this offseason and next offseason have to place the player on waivers?

I would assume it would work like any buyout (so, yes)

I doubt any team will touch anyone intended to be bought out tho especially if there's a chance they could potentially sign for less

Curufinwe

Final draft rankings from CSS. They don't think Zadorov is close to the top 10.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=88636

CSS Final 2013 North American Skater Rankings
1 SETH JONES
2 NATHAN MACKINNON
3 JONATHAN DROUIN
4 DARNELL NURSE
5 SEAN MONAHAN
6 HUNTER SHINKARUK
7 VALENTIN ZYKOV
8 FREDERIK GAUTHIER
9 MIRCO MUELLER
10 ANTHONY MANTHA

CSS Final 2013 International Skater Rankings
1 ALEKSANDER BARKOV
2 VALERI NICHUSHKIN
3 ELIAS LINDHOLM
4 RASMUS RISTOLAINEN
5 ALEXANDER WENNBERG
6 ANDRE BURAKOVSKY
7 JACOB DE LA ROSE
8 ROBERT HAGG
9 ARTTURI LEHKONEN
10 PAVEL BUCHNEVICH

Man I am feeling so much better about the Flyers chances next year. Mason is only 24 and looks like a real goalie. He doesnt constantly cost the team games like Bryz did this year. I really hope the Flyers can add some FA defensemen with the Bryz buyout money.

Man I am feeling so much better about the Flyers chances next year. Mason is only 24 and looks like a real goalie. He doesnt constantly cost the team games like Bryz did this year. I really hope the Flyers can add some FA defensemen with the Bryz buyout money.

I can't imagine the Flyers betting next season on Steve Mason. He is Raycroft 2.0.

I can't imagine the Flyers betting next season on Steve Mason. He is Raycroft 2.0.

I would take him a thousands times over Bryz. He has looked really good and the whole team plays totally different with him in net. I would like them to bring in someone to back him up but I think he has earned a shot to be the guy next year.

I feel confident next year'll be a Bryz/Mason combo. They can wait another year before buying out Bryz. Mason's looked great for the few games he's been here, but it's not enough of a sample size (and we'd need to acquire a useful backup.) Use both of them, cut Bryz loose next offseason.

A Briere amnesty should clear enough cap room for this summer.

Var

I feel confident next year'll be a Bryz/Mason combo. They can wait another year before buying out Bryz. Mason's looked great for the few games he's been here, but it's not enough of a sample size (and we'd need to acquire a useful backup.) Use both of them, cut Bryz loose next offseason.

I agree. No point in cutting Bryz this summer if we don't have to. It's not like there are any great FA's to spend the cap room on. If one gets bought out and we can make a run for them, that's another story.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

I agree. No point in cutting Bryz this summer if we don't have to. It's not like there are any great FA's to spend the cap room on. If one gets bought out and we can make a run for them, that's another story.

Yup.

If they buy out Bryz this year, I'll be surprised. There aren't any better goalies available that what they have.

Goaltenders who will be UFA after this season.

So as you can see, I'd gladly take a Bryz/Mason tandem next season.

I do expect them to do something crazy at the draft though, involving a defenseman. Which is their main need.

I cant believe they would spend that much money on a backup, and I really dont want to see Bryz play again but I guess 1 more year of this garbage isnt the end of the world.

I think we'll be too far back for anyone to accept our first like that, but it'd be nice.

Aside from Wellwood's skate injury counting as an acceptable blood sacrifice to appease the lottery gods, I'm thinking we'll end up with Ristolainen. I think I'd be happy with him (a year of him with Timonen'd be awesome, if he made the team.)

m03YXsJ.jpg

Bruce hasn't converted over to the offseason thread yet. Rest of FlyersGAF: assemble!

Curufinwe

Phoenix want Couturier + for Yandle and as a league owned team have no incentive to be reasonable. I'd much rather keep Couturier and draft Ristolainen than overpay for Yandle.

Var

Phoenix want Couturier + for Yandle and as a league owned team have no incentive to be reasonable. I'd much rather keep Couturier and draft Ristolainen than overpay for Yandle.

I wasn't saying they should trade for him for Yandle. I don't think they should move him at all.

Curufinwe

Seems like a good year to be in the lottery.

http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-30-released-for-april/

1 Jones, Seth RD 10/3/1994 R 6.03.5 208 Portland WHL
2 Nichushkin, Valery F 3/4/1995 L 6.04 202 Chelyabinsk Traktor KHL
3 MacKinnon, Nathan C 9/1/1995 R 6.00 182 Halifax QMJHL
4 Drouin, Jonathan C 3/27/1995 L 5.10.75 185 Halifax QMJHL
5 Barkov, Sasha F 9/2/1995 L 6.03 209 Tappara FinE
6 Nurse, Darnell LD 2/4/1995 L 6.03.5 189 S.S. Marie OHL
7 Zadorov, Nikita LD 4/15/1995 L 6.05.25 230 London OHL
8 Lindholm, Elias C 12/2/1994 R 6.00 192 Brynas SweE
9 Monahan, Sean C 10/12/1994 L 6.02 186 Ottawa OHL
10 Horvat, Bo C 4/5/1995 L 6.00.25 200 London OHL
11 Ristolainen, Rasmus RD 10/27/1994 R 6.04 207 TPS Turku FinE
12 Lazar, Curtis C 2/2/1995 R 5.11.75 193 Edmonton WHL
13 Shinkaruk, Hunter C 10/13/1994 L 5.11 175 Medicine Hat WHL
14 Pulock, Ryan RD 10/6/1994 R 6.00.5 211 Brandon WHL

Nichushkin will be interesting to see who gets him. He does have a KHL contract through 2 more years, so the drafting team will need to either wait or buy out the contract for him to play.

So how the fuck does the cock sucking lottery work now? Every non playoff team can win that shit right?

:(

30th team has 25% chance of retaining. All non-playoff teams get a chance but the higher you go it gets absurd like .025% of getting the first. Also lottery teams can only drop 1 spot now.

Cat's loss mean we are 30th overall and can only drop to #2 pick. MACMACMAC

The Florida version can Kane and Toews, based Tallon you have one job.

Marvie_3

Banned
30th team has 25% chance of retaining. All non-playoff teams get a chance but the higher you go it gets absurd like .025% of getting the first. Also lottery teams can only drop 1 spot now.

Cat's loss mean we are 30th overall and can only drop to #2 pick. MACMACMAC

The Florida version can Kane and Toews, based Tallon you have one job.

ij4i9LvNbYgl0.gif

calder

Steen invests $1M in family entertainment centre

Alexander Steen is putting his money where his roots are.

The St. Louis Blues forward, who grew up in Winnipeg while his father, current city councillor Thomas Steen, was playing for the Winnipeg Jets, is investing $1 million in a 12,000-square-foot family entertainment centre to be built one block east of the IKEA store in southwest Winnipeg.

"Winnipeg is a very special place. The community was very good to me and the city was definitely a major contributor to my success," Steen said.

The centre, to be called "Great Big Adventure," will feature a 3,500-square-foot play structure, complete with five 15-foot slides and a hockey play area. While the kids run around, parents can enjoy a cup of coffee and baked goods from Stella's.

That's pretty awesome. Going to make it a bit tough to boo the shit out of him and his thug team next year, but I'm sure we'll manage.

I never thought we'd win a game in phoenix. Happy that we got it but if we could just lose tomorrow that'd be great...

Can't tell if I want the pick or the wings to miss the 'YOFFS more. Truly can't.

Top Bottom