• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

zroid

Banned
Getting bored with the lack of drama.

I feel ya, although it's more the individual performances that get me going than the competition. Would be great if more people were playing that well.

How bout Oosthuizen's shot, eh?

edit: Willett is making it interesting :)

Merguson

Banned
CftaQh5UAAERx2I.jpg

spare part? Holland pls that's way too savage

ShaneB

I feel ya, although it's more the individual performances that get me going than the competition. Would be great if more people were playing that well.

How bout Oosthuizen's shot, eh?

edit: Willett is making it interesting :)

Whereas I'm the opposite. I want the close competition, otherwise I'd rather just be on a golf course myself playing.

That hole in one was incredible, and yes, this is finally getting interesting again. Spieth in the water!! Holy shit! I hate cheering against good golf, but I need this to be close!

zroid

Banned
The sad thing is, in spite of all that happened, it didn't end up being all that close in the end anyway

can't say there was any shortage of drama though

ShaneB

The sad thing is, in spite of all that happened, it didn't end up being all that close in the end anyway

can't say there was any shortage of drama though

Pretty much. Not exactly the tight leaderboard I wanted at the end, but it was a drama filled back 9.

imBask

Banned
as much as I love laughing at the Oilers, I really want to see what McDavid can do over the course of a full season, especially with Matthews

Quick

Banned
as much as I love laughing at the Oilers, I really want to see what McDavid can do over the course of a full season, especially with Matthews

Oilers could have something like a Crosby-Malkin with their first two lines, if they keep Matthews at centre.

Or do they shift him to the wing and have RNH stick to centre. This is assuming the Oilers don't trade anyone from their core.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Whether they win the lottery or not, Oilers should trade their pick. Get a bunch of really good NHLers, they don't need another 18 year old top pick forward.

imBask

Banned
Whether they win the lottery or not, Oilers should trade their pick. Get a bunch of really good NHLers, they don't need another 18 year old top pick forward.

They need a #1 defenseman

we have one of those, which "we" apparently don't want anymore

Quick

Banned

Imagine if the Oilers flip #1 overall to Montreal for Subban.

Bergevin picks Matthews.

Therrien puts Matthews at the 4th line as a winger.

imBask

Banned
Imagine if the Oilers flip #1 overall to Montreal for Subban.

Bergevin picks Matthews.

Therrien puts Matthews at the 4th line as a winger.

yeah but can you imagine the amount of rispekt he'll gain? it's like you guys know nothing about hockey

imBask

Banned
Seriously though, i'm Plekanec's #1 fan but if he really does have a problem with Subban, he can fuck right off. Trade him and Pacioretty for a sack of potatoes, I don't care.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Therrien will be available after Bergevin's conference tomorrow which pretty much guarantees him sticking around.

Also McKeens has their latest draft rankings and have McLeod at #3, the fuck?

http://www.mckeenshockey.com/prospects-blog/mckeens-2016-top-30-nhl-draft-rankings-apr-2016/

Writer makes a super compelling case for Laine. The thing is, if Laine is 'like Lemieux' and still behind Matthews, what the hell does that make Matthews???? Unless Matthews is the next coming of Gretzky, I don't know who could possibly be a comparable to Lemieux that would be higher. I also saw that nasty snipe from Laine recently and HOLY SHIT...! I couldn't even see the puck and he picked that corner so effortlessly too. As for McLeod, it would be kind of neat to actually get someone from the Toronto Marlboros on our team, but I can only see us drafting him if we lose the lottery as well, and even then, there's no consensus 4th overall pick that I'd probably just trade down at that point because there are so many players available.

Not surprised to see Juolevi ahead of Chychrun though Sergachev ahead of Chychrun is a bit of a surprise. Still, I understand why some might rank Sergachev ahead since he's a right handed shooting defenseman. Another D on that list that is rising is Charles McAvoy. I'd laugh if we lost the lotto, traded down and ended up with both Sergachev and McAvoy. That'd be two 1st round caliber RHD and we'd have an embarrassment of riches that most teams don't have especially if we do get Zaitsev.

For the Leafs' pick from the Pens, I'd definitely prefer they get a D if they don't plan on getting a D with their own pick. Still, with a guy like Debrincat available down there.....! Lot of posters have been hating on his size, but if he has a chance to be close to Gaudreau, you'd have to take it. Additionaly, I'd like a lot more goal scorers as we really struggled a lot this season, Tyson Jost, Julien Gauthier and possibly Kieffer Bellows or Riley Tufte would be nice additions as well.

Socreges

Banned
Just wrote an offer on a house. Super tense. And we're competing so it's that much worse. We're waiting to hear back now. Our realtor is a Leafs fan so every so often we'd talk about the draft lottery and different prospects and how the Oilers will inevitably win. The juxtaposition of first home and $$$ vs... hockey prospects... but how we spoke about both with the same passion and anxiety... sports fans are mentally fucking ill.

imBask

Banned
Just wrote an offer on a house. Super tense. And we're competing so it's that much worse. We're waiting to hear back now. Our realtor is a Leafs fan so every so often we'd talk about the draft lottery and different prospects and how the Oilers will inevitably win. The juxtaposition of first home and $$$ vs... hockey prospects... but how we spoke about both with the same passion and anxiety... sports fans are mentally fucking ill.

bad choice man. if the realtor is a Leafs fan, he probably told you the house was the best and had a lot of potential, when in fact it's a complete dumpster fire with no defensive prospect

Red_Man

Seriously though, i'm Plekanec's #1 fan but if he really does have a problem with Subban, he can fuck right off. Trade him and Pacioretty for a sack of potatoes, I don't care.
Pleks doesn't talk anyways, even he if doesn't like Subban I don't think he'd let it become an issue. I'd rather trade Eller right now.

Ideally next years lineup would be something like this:

Patches - AGally - BGally
UFA / Trade - Pleks - UFA/ Trade
Hudon - DD - Carr
Byron - Danault - McCarron

Subban - Beaulieu
Markov - Petry
Pateryn - Barberio

Hudon should make the team, Ghetto can be used as trade bait. Depending on how Scherbak does in camp, he might be able to stick for a bit too. I hope they can get rid of Eller, but I don't think it's very realistic.

A lot of garbage on this team right now, Gilbert, Bartley, Flynn, Mitchell, Lessio, Matteau, we have enough bottom 6 guys to make another team.

Writer makes a super compelling case for Laine. The thing is, if Laine is 'like Lemieux' and still behind Matthews, what the hell does that make Matthews???? Unless Matthews is the next coming of Gretzky, I don't know who could possibly be a comparable to Lemieux that would be higher. I also saw that nasty snipe from Laine recently and HOLY SHIT...! I couldn't even see the puck and he picked that corner so effortlessly too. As for McLeod, it would be kind of neat to actually get someone from the Toronto Marlboros on our team, but I can only see us drafting him if we lose the lottery as well, and even then, there's no consensus 4th overall pick that I'd probably just trade down at that point because there are so many players available.

Not surprised to see Juolevi ahead of Chychrun though Sergachev ahead of Chychrun is a bit of a surprise. Still, I understand why some might rank Sergachev ahead since he's a right handed shooting defenseman. Another D on that list that is rising is Charles McAvoy. I'd laugh if we lost the lotto, traded down and ended up with both Sergachev and McAvoy. That'd be two 1st round caliber RHD and we'd have an embarrassment of riches that most teams don't have especially if we do get Zaitsev.

For the Leafs' pick from the Pens, I'd definitely prefer they get a D if they don't plan on getting a D with their own pick. Still, with a guy like Debrincat available down there.....! Lot of posters have been hating on his size, but if he has a chance to be close to Gaudreau, you'd have to take it. Additionaly, I'd like a lot more goal scorers as we really struggled a lot this season, Tyson Jost, Julien Gauthier and possibly Kieffer Bellows or Riley Tufte would be nice additions as well.
I don't know much about this years class so I'm trying to read up, but it seems like picks are a little all over the place after the top 3. I don't really care who we pick, I trust Timmins, but I'd love for Bergevin to make a big move to get Laine, he's exactly what this core needs.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Good luck, I've heard it's a warzone for houses out there in BC.
bad choice man. if the realtor is a Leafs fan, he probably told you the house was the best and had a lot of potential, when in fact it's a complete dumpster fire with no defensive prospect
You...you go to hell!

Pleks doesn't talk anyways, even he if doesn't like Subban I don't think he'd let it become an issue. I'd rather trade Eller right now.

Ideally next years lineup would be something like this:

Patches - AGally - BGally
UFA / Trade - Pleks - UFA/ Trade
Hudon - DD - Carr
Mitchell - Danault - McCarron

Subban - Beaulieu
Markov - Petry
Pateryn - Barberio

Hudon should make the team, Ghetto can be used as trade bait. Depending on how Scherbak does in camp, he might be able to stick for a bit too. I hope they can get rid of Eller, but I don't think it's very realistic.

I don't know much about this years class so I'm trying to read up, but it seems like picks are a little all over the place after the top 3. I don't really care who we pick, I trust Timmins, but I'd love for Bergevin to make a big move to get Laine, he's exactly what this core needs.

LOL you think Therrien will play his golden boy DD on the 3rd? That's a lot of fire power on the 1st line and yeah you guys can definitely use a second line with more offensive punch, I'm not sure who in the FA class this year is particularly worth it though. Okposo? Boedker? Erikksson? For shits and giggles I'd troll the shit out of all the Habs fans I work with in Montreal if you guys signed Lucic.

Red_Man

says a lot that our second line is currently Plekanec alone :lol
I could see Carr being up there, but to contend we can't have a rookie on our second line, maybe Hudon.

Saw this today regarding Hudon:

Charles Hudon has 28 goals in the AHL, last Habs prospect to do that was Plekanec in 04-05, he was 22, Hudon is 21.
Crazy he didn't play more up with the big club, no idea why they avoided him. Scherbak is a wild card, he was injured for a lot of the season, but has been lighting it up ever since he came back.

imBask

Banned
I don't know much about Hudon, but i've never been impressed with him... sounds like an AHL superstar

Carr was really good at some point but we sent him down for who the fuck knows why

Ghetto is alright, I like him a lot

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Good luck man.

I'm gonna be looking for a condo in a few months, don't know if I'm ready for this mentally.

Top Bottom