• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL OFFSEASON SHOCKER: Avalanche's swedish SUPERSTAR RETIRES!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder

Lacking motivation, Salo retires

Associated Press

3/17/2005

ORNSKOLDSVIK, Sweden (AP) - Former Edmonton Oilers goaltender Tommy Salo announced his retirement Thursday.

Salo, one of Sweden's most successful goalies with 10 NHL seasons behind him and a 1994 Olympic gold medal, said he's quitting because of aching hips and dwindling motivation.

"It's been a fantastic time," Salo told reporters in Ornskoldsvik, where he played for MoDo this past season. "I only have positive memories."

"I no longer have the right motivation," he added.

MoDo, which is without superstar Peter Forsberg, was eliminated by Farjestad in Game 6 of the quarter-finals on Monday. Forsberg suffered a concussion earlier this season.

Salo, who recently turned 34, still had one year left on his contract with MoDo, but said lingering hip problems were also part of the reason he's retiring.

1) Yes I know Salo was an unsigned FA and technically no longer an Av
2) Yes I do really miss hockey :(
3) Yes I totally missed this last week
4) Yes I do have to post The Goal:
salo2002.png

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Bwahaha that pic rocks. Hey, anyone else remember Salo crying like a little bitch when Milbury tore him up sideways during the Islanders arbitration process? :lol

calder

Haha, one Avs/Foppa hater fooled, 3ish more to go.

Bish
Mike Works - check
Mainline
Dem

EDIT: Damnit bish, just tell me you had a fleeing moment of "floppa retired!!" joy when you read the thread title.

Mainline

When you use the word superstar in the title people tend to expect a lot more. BUT THIS IS STILL GRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT! I did hear about it last week, but I just figured it wasn't even worth posting over, it's not like anyones really going to miss him.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
hahahaha :lol
Montreal Canadiens defenceman Sheldon Souray and Colorado Avalanche goaltender Tommy Salo got into a war of words during their quarter-final clash in the Swedish Elite League playoffs. Souray, who is playing with Farjestad BK, shared his story with Dave Stubbs of The Montreal Gazette.

The trash talking began in Game 1, says Souray, when during a time-out, MoDo netminder Salo skated by and slashed him with a chop to the side of his pants.

"So I looked at him and said: "Hey, I've got one word for you: Belarus," said Souray. Salo was in goal when Belarus stunned the Swedes in the 2002 Olympic Games, the winning goal coming on an 80-foot slap shot.

As time ran out in the game, a scrum ensued and as Souray went to skate behind the net, Salo blocked him and that's when Souray went after him.

"If he wants to act like a forward, he'll be treated like one."

After the game, Souray told the press, "This isn't personal, I don't even know the guy. He's just not very good. He's terrible.

"I don't know why he's doing this. He'd be the third or fourth goalie on our team. There's probably a few players on our team who could play goal better. Let's just say he'll never be confused with Jose Theodore."

With his quotes published, Salo took the initiative to give a shot back.

"Salo said in the papers that I can't skate, can't shoot, can't pass and don't have the dingleberries to play like this in the NHL. But at least he said I'm good at cross-checking."

There's been nothing between the two since, says Souray, but stated that if his team scores and he's near Salo, he'd give him a piece of his mind - again.

"I'll tell Salo what I think of him. Use your imagination - but I don't ask him how his family's doing."

The two teams face each other today in Game 5.
Scoot said:
Remember clint malarchuk crying?

http://ceedeerom.bizhosting.com/dek/zone/clintmalarchuk.jpg

I didn't image tag it, cos I don't know the rules on TONS OF BLOOD
Oh Jesus, I remember that.....GROSS

calder

Sorry Mainline, Oiler fans can't distance themselves from Salo and his storied career!
1995-96 IHL - James Norris Memorial Trophy (Oustanding goaltender) (with Mark McArthur)
1995-96 IHL - N.R. "Bud" Poile Trophy (Playoff MVP)
1994-95 IHL - James Gatschene Memorial Trophy (MVP)
1994-95 IHL - James Norris Memorial Trophy (Oustanding goaltender)
1994-95 IHL - Gary F. Longman Memorial Trophy (Rookie of the Year)
1994-95 IHL - First All-Star Team

Add to that being just good enough to get blown out by the Stars in the first round and you have the makings of the best Oilers goalie since... well whoever was before Salo I guess. ;)

Only thing better than bashing Salo and his Belorussian bed-shitting is bashing Salo in such a way as to slander Oiler fans. So here goes:
iginla_salo240.jpg

Iggy: "Yikes, I'm not even going to raise my arms on this one, he was like 5 feet off his line!"

I don't like Salo at all, but he accomplished something that Mikka Kiprusoff will never accomplish...winning a Gold Medal.

The Internet

calder

bishoptl said:

:lol Damn that's funny.

+1 Souray for saying if a goalie gets out of his monkey cage and acts like a skater he'll treat him like one

After the game, Souray told the press, "This isn't personal, I don't even know the guy. He's just not very good. He's terrible.

"I don't know why he's doing this. He'd be the third or fourth goalie on our team. There's probably a few players on our team who could play goal better. Let's just say he'll never be confused with Jose Theodore."
Quoted again for hilarity. :D

Oh and dude, I did NOT need to be reminded about Clint Malarchuk. :|

Drensch

Forsberg's dad said Peter is probably done. He got crosschecked from behind few weeks ago and received a concussion as a result. His dad says he's sick of it.

Malakhov

Banned
In other news in my FHL league I've just traded:

Brodeur
Souray
Elias
Zednik

for

Thibault
Bouwmeester
Spezza
Sundin

Rawkz, I love youth <3

calder

Except for downgrading a fair bit on the goalie I like that trade. I'd say you improve your offense at the expense of goaltending, but if you don't need Thibault to be your #1 I think it'd be a good trade.

Malakhov

Banned
I have a relatively good and young defense now:

Pitkanen 20 years old
Bouwmeester 21 years old
Manning 25 years old
Kuba 28 years old
Ozolinsh and Wooley are the only ones who are 30 and older.

Thibault wasn't so bad last season actually so he can be my number 1 with this defense and Brodeur was 32 years old and making 7.25 millions, I had to trade him now since he's at his peak in trade value.

My offense on the other hand is OLD minus Spezza and Hinotte.

Spezza, Roenick, Sundin, Roberts, Hinotte (who got good stats in this league), Brunette, Knuble, Lehtinen, Czekawksi.

I had to get some youth!

shoplifter

Damn Calder, that was cold. I very narrowly got my hand over my mouth before I spit ice-cold Coke all over my keyboard. :lol

hobart

calder said:
Add to that being just good enough to get blown out by the Stars in the first round and you have the makings of the best Oilers goalie since... well whoever was before Salo I guess. ;)

If you wanna talk about GOOD Goalies before Salo... then you are talking about a little Goaltender named: Grant Fuhr.

"Always bet on Black."

If you wanna talk about GOOD Goalies before Salo... then you are talking about a little Goaltender named: Grant Fuhr.

Don't you remember Billy Ranford? Arguably the best goalie in the World from 1989-1992.

He put on the best performance i've ever seen from a goalie in the playoffs in 1990, and he basically won the Canada Cup for Canada in '91.

Billy is the man, he deserves more respect!

The Internet

hobart

It's easy to forget Ranford when you think about Fuhr...

...Hall of Famer... Grant Fuhr.

And not to be racist or nothing, because I really, truly, respect this fact... perhaps the best African American/Canadian to play the game. And inspiration to any young African American/Canadian wanting to play the game... and from what I'm told... a great guy to boot.

How many cups did Ranford win? :)

Sorry... just easy to forget ANY Oiler Goaltender when you live in the shadow of Grant.

Jax, if the Oilers put in Ranford in 1992, they would have taken out the NorthStars, and Billy would have led them to a 2nd Cup in a row.

Fuhr did not play well at all in that series, and to me it was a surprise that they made Ranford the backup when he singlehandedly won the Cup for them the year before.

I'm not taking away anything from Fuhr, he was a decent regular season goalie, but he was a GREAT playoff goalie. All I was saying is that you could have named Ranford as a good Oiler goalie before Salo.

The Internet

Mainline

The Internet said:
Jax, if the Oilers put in Ranford in 1992, they would have taken out the NorthStars, and Billy would have led them to a 2nd Cup in a row.

The Internet

Slight problem with that.
raising.jpg

I am an Oilers fan, but the Penguins team was just unbelieveable if you look back on it now. But then again I also am a Penguins fan...OH YES.

Malakhov

Banned
The Penguins were unbelievable.

Mario Lemieux, Kevin Stevens, Joe Mullen, Larry Murphy, Mark Recchi, Jaromir Jagr, Paul Coffey, Rick Tocchet and Ron Francis.

Wow, just wow.

android

Theoretical Magician
Malakhov said:
The Penguins were unbelievable.

Mario Lemieux, Kevin Stevens, Joe Mullen, Larry Murphy, Mark Recchi, Jaromir Jagr, Paul Coffey, Rick Tocchet and Ron Francis.

Wow, just wow.
How the mighty have fallen.

Gah Mainline, I totally meant '91, 'cause Bill Ranford did get most of the work in the '92 Playoffs when they were ousted by the 'Hawks.

I think the Oil had a chance to beat the '91 Pens, but I think the '92 Pens team was alot better, and would have destroyed anyone.

Anyone remember the Pens' of '93? :lol

The Internet

Boogie

robertsan21 said:
Salo retires, to bad he was the greatest!

man we swedes fucking rock at icehockey

Bwahahahaha. :lol

Stick to bragging about your looks, roberstan, because when you try to brag about your nation's hockey skills you're only embarrassing youself. ;P

It's funny for Kevin Stevens to talk smack, when it was clearly obvious that his only reason for those multiple 40 goal seasons was Mario Lemieux.

I wonder what "Superstar" Brian Bellows was feeling when Kevin Stevens got knocked out in in mid-air (I forgot who he bumped into) and fell on his face. His face was crushed.

The Internet

Malakhov

Banned
Well Bellows got his revenge because he came here in Montreal with the Habs in 92-93 to win the cup while scoring 40 goals and 48 assists afterwards, oh well.

Still, that clip is hilarious :lol

damn I miss hockey so much... I should be trying to get habs playoff tickets right about now but nooooooooo...

Haha I remmeber last year there was this bruins fan wearing a bruins jersey trying to take a piss in the washroom during the intermission. We didn't let the poor bastard. Kinda feel sorry for him, although he did get revenge on us when fucken kovalev faked get hurt and they scored... omg i pissed.

Malakhov

Banned
Yeah it pisses me off, I was kinda excited when Radek Bonk was traded here. I wanted to see him in a Habs uniform but not wait 2 seasons for it to happen :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom