• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Stanley Cup 2017 Finals [OT]- To Catch a Predator

Came in to re-live last night through the eyes of hockeyGAF, was not disappointed. What a postseason. Great to see Flower hand the Cup off to Murray. That whole thing wouldn't have worked at all if either of them were selfish or whined. Consummate professionals. I'll miss Flower for sure.

Back-to-back champions, congrats Penguins!
Funny that the NHL is much more competitive than the NBA but that there hasn't been a back-to-back winner in the NBA (and I doubt that the Cavs will win this year).

I agree with your opinion on competitive parity between the two leagues, however the Miami Heat repeated in 2012/2013 and the Lakers a few years before that.

Malkin got jobbed

I agree. Would have liked to see Geno get the Conn but Crosby coming alive in the SC Finals and Geno's penalty minutes were probably the difference. Heard that Malkin was the 1st player since Gordie Howe to lead the playoffs in points and penalty minutes. He takes the occasional dumb penalty for sure, but I'll always dig his fire and passion. He lets it all hang out.

Gonchar gets another cup. Good for him.

Ha, love me some Gonch. He helped make Malkin the Geno he is.

I wonder what kind of injuries everyone was playing with.

Bonino probably finished game 2 with a broken ankle

Yeah, broken ankle for Bones. Horny had broken fingers, Cole I think had a broken hand and ribs. Hagelin never seemed right, though he was flying yesterday (especially towards that empty net).

Cheers, PensGAF! It was a wild ride.

Alucard

Banned
He said generational talents.

My mistake. It's why you'd never consider Hull/Oates or Roenick/Amonte, for example. Or these guys...

Sedin/Sedin
Lindros/Leclair

But then you have winners like...
St. Louis/Lecavalier
Mikita/Hull
Sakic/Forsberg
Kurri/Gretzky
Datsyuk/Zetterberg

Hockey is so awesome.

Socreges

Banned
My mistake. It's why you'd never consider Hull/Oates or Roenick/Amonte, for example. Or these guys...

Sedin/Sedin
Lindros/Leclair

But then you have winners like...
St. Louis/Lecavlier
Mikita/Hull
Sakic/Forsberg
Kurri/Gretzky
Datsyuk/Zetterberg

Hockey is so awesome.
Those two were top tier. I think people forget just how insanely productive they were.

Quick

Banned
I'd like to bring to the table Sundin/Antropov and Sundin/Ponikarovski.

Anybody? No?

giphy.gif

Also speaking of pairs umm Yzerman/Federov

But you still need the depth.

Penguins Stanley cup winning heroes since 09 are: Maxime Talbot, Kris Letang and Patric Hornqvist.

In 3 cup winning games Malkin and Crosby have combined for 3 assists.

PillarEN

Go on...

Gotta add this one, though we're going pretty far back now:

Esposito/Orr

Kariya and Selanne never won together. And they both went to Colorado for that reason to find their mythical super mega team.
Nor did they even make the finals in Anaheim together.

Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau never won together.

Eric Lindors and John LeClair couldn't pull it off in Philly.

Even poor Ray Bourque and Cam Neely couldn't win it for Boston (ok now I'm going D and forward. I know.

But even with Gretzky. His LA Kings had Luc Robitaille at his utter peak and no luck.

I agree that great duos (and you forgot Toews and Kane) are nothing to scoff at. I'm just saying that it isn't a guarantee in the NHL.

Socreges

Banned
Kariya and Selanne never won together. And they both went to Colorado for that reason to find their mythical super mega team.
Nor did they even make the finals in Anaheim together.

Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau never won together.

Eric Lindors and John LeClair couldn't pull it off in Philly.

Even poor Ray Bourque and Cam Neely couldn't win it for Boston (ok now I'm going D and forward. I know.

But even with Gretzky. His LA Kings had Luc Robitaille at his utter peak and no luck.

I agree that great duos (and you forgot Toews and Kane) are nothing to scoff at. I'm just saying that it isn't a guarantee in the NHL.
You're moving the goal posts. How could you compare any of those duos to Crosby/Malkin or the others that I listed? I wasn't picking Cup champions. I was naming the highest tier and sure enough they've all won (multiple) Cups.

I don't think you realize how exceptional having a one-two like Crosby/Malkin is, not to mention that they've played alongside each other for 11 seasons.

And no I didn't forget Toews/Kane. I excluded them because:

- Cup winners ✔
- duo ✔
- comparable to Crosby/Malkin (x)

PillarEN

For sure. You picked the creme of the crop for their generation. Not that I was picking slouches.

Do we add Stevens and Niedermayer to that list? I would argue they (along the Brodeur, but we can talk about hall of fame goalies for other teams too) were the constants for the New Jersey cup teams.

Socreges

Banned
For sure. You picked the creme of the crop for their generation. Not that I was picking slouches.

Do we add Stevens and Niedermayer to that list? I would argue they (along the Brodeur, but we can talk about hall of fame goalies for other teams too) were the constants for the New Jersey cup teams.
So you understand my argument a bit better, I started with Crosby/Malkin and asked myself who is on the same level. There are precious few.

Consider where they land among P/GP leaders all time and how they're doing it in an era with less scoring (balanced out, admittedly, by the fact that they're still in their prime and their pace will drop off eventually).

Alucard

Banned
So you understand my argument a bit better, I started with Crosby/Malkin and asked myself who is on the same level. There are precious few.

Consider where they land among P/GP leaders all time and how they're doing it in an era with less scoring (balanced out, admittedly, by the fact that they're still in their prime and their pace will drop off eventually).

Malkin 14th all-time in PPG but not listed in the top 100 players of all-time. LOL.

And look at all those good Canadian boys in the top six.

PillarEN

Yeah. I think when I was thinking of the NBA my thinking was "well in the NBA you cannot win today unless you decide to construct a mega team". Whereas in the NHL you can create teams that do not have literally the top 3 players in the entire league and have a real chance at winning it all.

Alucard

Banned
On a random note, in the 2015-2016 season I just had a feeling the Pens would take it because Crosby had just turned 28. (Stay with me) I remember that five-year period in my late twenties and early thirties as being the sweet spot for mental sharpness and just overall awareness of what I was able to do, physically and mentally. Knowing that Crosby and Malkin were both in that sweet spot, I had a really good feeling about them leading the Pens to victory.

Hope they go for a threepeat and cement their legacy even more. Hell, go for five straight if they can.

Alucard

Banned
Yeah. I think when I was thinking of the NBA my thinking was "well in the NBA you cannot win today unless you decide to construct a mega team". Whereas in the NHL you can create teams that do not have literally the top 3 players in the entire league and have a real chance at winning it all.

You can win a Cup on the backs of Mike Richards and Dustin Brown these days. Strange times.

PillarEN

So basically the takeaway today is that we should all be happy Stamkos didn't sign with Toronto because he and Mathews would have been grabbing around 3 Stanley Cups in the next 10 years if that happened.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah. Like the Kings, though Quick was the best goalie around at times. Preds were arguably the better team overall in that series, despite not having elite players.

So basically the takeaway today is that we should all be happy Stamkos didn't sign with Toronto because he and Mathews would have been grabbing around 3 Stanley Cups in the next 10 years if that happened.
Matthews, Marner and Nylander are basically Crosby, Gretzky, Lemieux. 8 Cups in 10 years.

PillarEN

Is Tavares the next Pierre Turgeon? Excellent statistically but destined to never be on an incredible team only to be forgotten by the mainstream NHL public due to that?

#hottake

Mimosa97

It's become tradition to boo Gary Bettman (commissioner) during the cup presentation.

He's not exactly well liked.

They didn't stop at the commissioner. They booed the entire team during the whole ceremony. Like Nashville fans stayed in the arena just so they could boo players while they were celebrating. Is it tradition or just a complete lack of sportmanship ?

PillarEN

They didn't stop at the commissioner. They booed the entire team during the whole ceremony. Like Nashville fans stayed in the arena just so they could boo players while they were celebrating. Is it tradition or just a complete lack of sportmanship ?

Salt is salt. Comes in different ways. I wouldn't think too much about it really. There was no riot so all is well lol.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Salt is salt. Comes in different ways. I wouldn't think too much about it really. There was no riot so all is well lol.

Hey now, we actually applauded a handful of Bruins players when they raised the cup... like Lucic for obvious reasons!

a lot of them were obviously booed and some just -shrug-

But yeah, i wouldn't think about it. Very engaged fanbase being upset their team didn't win the cup, news at 11.

PillarEN

Oh that reminds me:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238494252&postcount=683
"
2010 - Philly scores first. Loses series
2011 - Vancouver scores first. Loses series
2012 - LA scores first. Wins series
2013 - (racist) Boston scores first. Loses series
2014 - Rangers score first. Lose series
2015 - Tampa scores first. Loses series
2016 - Pittsburgh scores first. Wins series

So in the last 7 series the team who scored first in the finals lost 5 of those series. "

2017 - Pittsburgh scores first. Wins series.

So in the last 8 SCF series the team that scored first (in game 1) won 3 of those now.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Oh that reminds me:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238494252&postcount=683
"
2010 - Philly scores first. Loses series
2011 - Vancouver scores first. Loses series
2012 - LA scores first. Wins series
2013 - (racist) Boston scores first. Loses series
2014 - Rangers score first. Lose series
2015 - Tampa scores first. Loses series
2016 - Pittsburgh scores first. Wins series

So in the last 7 series the team who scored first in the finals lost 5 of those series. "

2017 - Pittsburgh scores first. Wins series.

So in the last 8 SCF series the team that scored first (in game 1) won 3 of those now.

It's almost like the odds are near 50%

almost

Someone threw something at Hornqvist when he was doing his skate with the cup

And Malkin whose face was cut up a bit apparently got hit with something.

The Nashville crowd were abnormally classless

Socreges

Banned

If that's all true then yeah they were being extra douchey. I know they felt a sense of entitlement because of the way the Pens won but what can you do

Mimosa97

Damn that's fucked up. I feel like the team should be hit with a fine or something (don't know how it works in the NHL).

Futureman

Good going Penguins. Back 2 Back is pretty amazing. Onto 3!

My only Pens gear is a Malkin Tshirt from 2007 or so. There's still silly string caked into the numbers on the back from when we won in '09. So I'm looking to get a cool Back 2 Back shirt but all the designs are kinda lame on the NHL webstore.

69WwYjal.jpg

Can't wait to see some in-depth analysis on what will come with this offseason regarding UFA players, Golden Knights and Fleury potentially opening up nearly $6 million in cap space. Feels like it could be the same situation from the 91/92 Back 2 Back where the 3rd team could be the most talented, especially with Letang back.

bill0527

Word is the city of Nashville is wanting to plan some kind of downtown parade for the Preds and a lot of the fans are vocally trying to talk them out of it. You don't get a parade for 2nd place. If anything I think they should have some kind of celebration at the start of the season to celebrate the first Western Conference championship, but no fucking parade unless they want to be the laughingstock of the NHL. This is an obvious ploy by the city to try and get masses of people downtown and squeeze the last nickel out of this thing before it goes away. I say let the guys go and don't try to hold them into next week for something like this. Many of them I'm sure want to get back to their home countries to be with family and friends and rest up for what's going to be the shortest off-season almost all of them have ever had.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Word is the city of Nashville is wanting to plan some kind of downtown parade for the Preds and a lot of the fans are vocally trying to talk them out of it. You don't get a parade for 2nd place. If anything I think they should have some kind of celebration at the start of the season to celebrate the first Western Conference championship, but no fucking parade unless they want to be the laughingstock of the NHL. This is an obvious ploy by the city to try and get masses of people downtown and squeeze the last nickel out of this thing before it goes away. I say let the guys go and don't try to hold them into next week for something like this. Many of them I'm sure want to get back to their home countries to be with family and friends and rest up for what's going to be the shortest off-season almost all of them have ever had.

Yeah, that would be honestly be kind of embarrassing. City needs to know when to quit.

PillarEN

No parade for losers.

But you can have a little get together in the city to thank the fans for a great season. I've seen teams that were cinderella stories opt for that.

Edit: Just noticed the Maple Leaf dart guy reference. Blue Jacket guy is top tier though

Alucard

Banned
Blue jacket guy is awesome because I also haven't cared enough to figure out the stupid bracketing system that forced the Pens to play the #3 and #1 seeds in the first two rounds of the playoffs.

Going to the parade tomorrow, will try to post some pics, went last yr and it was awesome.

Always look for new great places to eat though, anyone front Pittsburg gaf have anywhere they would recommend. I always end up going to primantis or something along those lines so looking for places local to the burgh.

I live about 4 hours away so don't get there as often as I would like.

hwalker84

Going to the parade tomorrow, will try to post some pics, went last yr and it was awesome.

Always look for new great places to eat though, anyone front Pittsburg gaf have anywhere they would recommend. I always end up going to primantis or something along those lines so looking for places local to the burgh.

What parade is going on in Pittsburg, California tomorrow? Not familiar with that city.

But if you decide to visit Pittsburgh, PA. I can recommend a ton of places.

depends on what you want

Wingharts has the best burgers Ive ever eaten in my life, so thats my quickest recommendation.

What parade is going on in Pittsburg, California tomorrow? Not familiar with that city.

But if you decide to visit Pittsburgh, PA. I can recommend a ton of places.

Lol yea, Pittsburgh, PA, typo on my part.

depends on what you want

Wingharts has the best burgers Ive ever eaten in my life, so thats my quickest recommendation.

I can really eat anywhere, burgers sound go though lol.

Top Bottom