• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL - There might just be a Season (part deux)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dem

Its clear to anyone with a brain that Goodenow is leading the players off the cliff.
How is this deal going to impove for the players? HOW? Its not POSSIBLE!

You can whine and bitch about the owners being at fault for overspending... but so fucking what? Theyve set out to fix it, and whether you like it or not, they CAN fix it. You put scabs in the game and see how fast the other players cross.

dem

Here comes the cracks....

Robert Esche
"We're playing in a glorified youth hockey league and I realize how lucky we are. I'm one of the lowest paid starting goalies in the league, but I am happy to be making what I am to be playing this game"

Have fun Goodenow..

Look at the NFL,NBA, and MLB look at the salaries and revenues in those leagues and then look at the salries and revenues in the NHL. I mean cmon.

Player: "Durr we dont want salaries to be linked with revenues".....well what the hell else should it be linked with?

I love how article 7 in Goodenow's last letter has "indexing" which is pretty much linkage to revenues, but only when they're going up, not when they're going down. What a crock of shit.
I'm glad the season is cancelled too. Although Mike's idea for a draft placement tournament could have been fun.

edit: Funny thing about that Esche quote was he originally stated that he would play in a league with a 100 million dollar cap or some garbage like that. I'm sure we'll hear a lot of players humbling themselves after this.

Mainline

Archaix said:
You sure? I could've sworn that more than half of NHL teams make it to the playoffs.

And, I'm just taking a guess here and it may be based entirely on semantics, if you're worse than more than half the teams in the league, you aren't good.

LOL, that's some good stuff. I'd like to see some numbers pertaining to the team salarys of the 16 teams that did make the playoffs last year, what percent of those teams are at or below the median team salary. Post trade-deadline numbers if possible.

shoplifter

calder said:
I thought the points about Columbus and Minny being success stories despite a wide-spread belief the Jackets were a mistake was bang on. Really, we have a die-hard Blue Jackets fan here on GAF while Hawks/Devils or Thrashers fans remain unheard of. ;)

More than one, I damn near cried when it was official we were getting a new team (hell, we almost got THA WHALE) and when we finally win the cup, I know for sure I'll be bawling.

Malakhov

Banned
This picture sums it up best :

s021656a.jpg

GLoK

Drensch said:
Edmonton, Calgary, Columbus and Minnesota all put a good product on the ice at a low cost. Any other team that can't do that needs to be eliminated.

You are completely right. As an Edmontonian I am completely satisfied watching my team work as a farm team for young, cheap talent to make their names so they can move on to big market teams that can afford to pay more.

I thoroughly enjoy how the current system works, and love watching players that get the job done for Edmonton get shuffled off elsewhere because the Oilers need to put out a good product at low cost.

I mean, hey, Edmonton should totally continue to suffer because a few dick head owners with deep pockets keep paying players more than their worth, and now the dick head players have it in their head that they're actually worth big market dollars, no matter what income the league is bringing in.

bp1889.jpg

teiresias

I'd pay good money to see the players in the NFL, NBA, or MLB make fools of themselves as thoroughly as the NHL players have! :lol :lol

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
GLoK said:
You are completely right. As an Edmontonian I am completely satisfied watching my team work as a farm team for young, cheap talent to make their names so they can move on to big market teams that can afford to pay more.

I thoroughly enjoy how the current system works, and love watching players that get the job done for Edmonton get shuffled off elsewhere because the Oilers need to put out a good product at low cost.

I mean, hey, Edmonton should totally continue to suffer because a few dick head owners with deep pockets keep paying players more than their worth, and now the dick head players have it in their head that they're actually worth big market dollars, no matter what income the league is bringing in.

bp1889.jpg
Could not have said it better myself.

calder

shoplifter said:
More than one, I damn near cried when it was official we were getting a new team (hell, we almost got THA WHALE) and when we finally win the cup, I know for sure I'll be bawling.
Actually I was talking about you, who the hell knew Drensch was from your neck of the woods. ;) He's never struck me as a Jackets fan, he's been pimping the Avs for as long as I can rememebr.

Well, it looks like Radio 590 in Toronto and Radio 1200 somewhere else in Canada are reporting on the possible player revolt/proposal to the NHL tonight too.

Check this thread to follow the hijinx!:

Hijinx!

Wouldn't that be just dandy if the NHL uncancels tomorrow?

shoplifter

Here's hoping that the cup is awarded to -some- team this year (maybe AHL champs, or do a tourney of the farm club champs).

Drensch

In otherwords, punish the people who fuck up. No problem. I don't get to watch Edmonton as much as other teams, but their team, style of play, fanbase and management is very good. They usually manage to make the playoffs, and when they don't it's more a function of the west than the market. Do they trade players to big market teams? Yes. Does it turn out for Edmonton? Usually. Are you guys really missing any of those guys you've traded other than Gretzky? Not really. If Edmonton could get a money goalie, they probably do a lot better than they do.

Columbus? Columbus will make the playoffs and be a power within a few years. They have a very solid team up and down, and have picks, and youth. No to mention excellent management ownership and fanbase.

Minnesota? Same as Columbus, except they have less talent and the system.

dem

Drensch said:
Are you guys really missing any of those guys you've traded other than Gretzky?

Yeah I really love having SHAWN FUCKING HORCOFF (I can actually hear people saying WHO?) as our first line center instead of DOUG WEIGHT.

Malakhov

Banned
Bettman says deal is still on table but most importantly, Daly says deal is still also on the table.

Goodbye Goodenow, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
dem said:
Yeah I really love having SHAWN FUCKING HORCOFF (I can actually hear people saying WHO?) as our first line center instead of DOUG WEIGHT.
I'm crying with laughter over here. :lol

Mainline

Horcoff's last name still amuses me. I'd be very suprised if somehow the season was saved, Eklund needs to stfu unless he knows what hes talking about, and based on the previous months worth of posts, he doesn't.

theo

Contest Winner
uncancelling the season is probably impossible at this point, because arenas are already starting to book other events!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
"I don't know if it's necessarily tonight, tomorrow morning, Friday night or Saturday. I know the season has been cancelled, but it's not too late to uncancel it," Yzerman told The Hockey News.

UNCANCEL! UNCANCEL! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

DopeyFish said:
"I don't know if it's necessarily tonight, tomorrow morning, Friday night or Saturday. I know the season has been cancelled, but it's not too late to uncancel it," Yzerman told The Hockey News.

UNCANCEL! UNCANCEL! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I just heard on the news here that Lemieux and Gretzky are part of that "revolt" to get the season back on.

I guess that both sides, in some capacity, are still working on it...

MaverickX9 said:
I just heard on the news here that Lemieux and Gretzky are part of that "revolt" to get the season back on.

I guess that both sides, in some capacity, are still working on it...
Yeah except Gretzky came out and said that was bullshit.

LET IT GO PEOPLE! YOU DON'T STARE AT AN OPEN CASKET AND SAY, "No, wait, m-maybe daddy will become a zombie and we can love him again!!"

calder

lol if Mike Modano doesn't get a Bob "Col. Jessup" Goodenow ordered Code Red coming out of the showers at the next Stars training camp I'll be amazed.
The Stars veteran forward was front and centre in Friday's Dallas Morning News, saying that the players weren't upset with the notion of a cap so much as they were the stance of their own union that possibly cost them five months of negotiations.

"There were a lot of people who really couldn't understand how we could go so long not talking about a cap and then just change over to a cap like that," he told the News. "And a lot of people didn't like it."

When asked if Goodenow had the support of the union, Modano replied, "I don't know, I don't know. I'm not sure."
[kelso]BUUUURN![/kelso]

But in more imporant news:
Report: Gretzky to lead team at Worlds
TSN.ca Staff
2/18/2005

In the aftermath of the cancellation of the 2004-2005 NHL season, Wayne Gretzky is expected to be named as the executive director for Canada's entry in the 2005 World Hockey Championships, according to the Globe and Mail.

Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson said that he has discussed the appointment with The Great One and he expects Gretzky to accept the challenge.

"From my point of view, there is no one else out there," Nicholson told the paper.

"Hopefully, we'll work something out in the next seven to 10 days."
I'm looking forward to the World's a fair bit. Lucky damn Austian's! For a while I thought Hockey Canada was going to send a virtual C team of minor pros and Euro leaugers to get ready for no NHL in the Oly's but with the season cancelled they want to defend the (TWO TIME! TWO TIME!) gold so they'll send a stacked team. Ryan Smyth sounds game, and I'm sure they'll have a little optional training camp for guys like Iginla and Smyth who want to get into game shape. Can't wait, I think it being in Europe will add some of that Spengler Cup-like charm you only get from drunken scandinavians singing and blowing big plastic horns.

STOCKHOLM (AP) - Detroit Red Wings defenceman Nicklas Lidstrom said he's too rusty to play in the upcoming world championship because he hasn't spent enough time on the ice in the wake of the NHL lockout.
The Swedes are about 3 years from becoming a 7th place team in elite play anyway, but this won't help them this year that's for sure.

Malakhov

Banned
``The game's just suffered an absolute blow it'll never recover from,'' Carolina Hurricanes center Rod Brind'Amour said. ``They're totally underestimating the damage that's been done. I'm just really disappointed and, to be honest with you, I'm embarrassed to be a player in the NHL.''
:lol

Malakhov

Banned
ESPN may drop NHL TV package altogether

By ED SHERMAN

Chicago Tribune

CHICAGO - The fallout already is beginning. Wednesday's cancellation of the season could lead to the NHL losing its relationship with ESPN.

A high-ranking network executive had harsh words for the league in the wake of Commissioner Gary Bettman's announcement. The current contract gives ESPN the option to renew for next year.

Mark Shapiro, ESPN's executive vice president for programming and production, said the network would continue to work to fill the time slots the NHL had left open. He hinted strongly that the situation might lead to ESPN realizing it could do without hockey.

"We're taking a wait-and-see approach," Shapiro said. "However, anytime you cede real estate or currency with the fans or a business partner, it's a dangerous strategy. Ultimately, others come to fill the void. And God forbid (for the league) we find something successful that takes the place of hockey."

Shapiro then said tellingly, "Remember Wally Pipp."

ESPN2 had been scheduled to air 40 regular-season games. Then ESPN and ESPN2 were to televise about 60 playoff games, including the first two games of the Stanley Cup finals.

Without hockey, the network has been airing more college basketball on ESPN2. This spring it will add major-league baseball and NBA games, along with college baseball and boxing.

The NHL has enjoyed a long relationship with ESPN, basically serving as the lone national outlet for hockey fans. But Shapiro said those fans, himself included, felt betrayed Wednesday.

"They are toying with the true passionate fan," Shapiro said. "It's frustrating and sad."

As for what ESPN might do next season, Shapiro said: "What next year? As far as we're concerned, they're on lockout. At this point, we have to make other plans."

Meanwhile, Pat Foley was driving through the South when he heard the news that his "vacation" had been extended at least to the fall.

Foley hardly has been waiting around to see if hockey could resolve its differences. He spent a month in Hawaii and went skiing in Lake Tahoe, Nev. The highlight might have been driving for two days back from Florida with his father.

"There has been no grass growing under my feet," the veteran Blackhawks play-by-play man said.

Still, the entire situation feels weird to Foley. During this time of year, he is supposed to be in an arena or on an airplane going to an arena.

"I've made good use of my time," Foley said. "But I keep thinking, `There's something not right about this.' It's a strange set of circumstances."

Foley doesn't have the financial concerns that others in hockey are facing. While he won't disclose the details, the Blackhawks reportedly still are paying him during the lost season.

But Foley would rather be working. Like everyone else connected with the game, he includes himself as one of "the losers" because of the discord.

"Everyone loses," Foley said.

When hockey does come back, he said: "Everyone has to reach out and make the game more fan-friendly. We have a lot of mileage to make up."

On other fronts, NBC still is on board to air a limited slate of national games next season, provided there is one. The network was set to televise seven regular-season games and six playoff games on Saturdays this year. Then it was supposed to cover Games 3 through 7 of the Stanley Cup finals.

The arrangement was the beginning of a two-year contract that showed how far the NHL had fallen. Instead of getting a rights fee like the other major professional leagues, hockey entered into a revenue-sharing deal with NBC.

At this point, even if the NHL does play again, it doesn't look like there will be much revenue to share.
Basicly ESPN is saying if you don't resolve this soon, you're out. Meaning the league is officialy destroyed in the states.

Malakhov said:
Basicly ESPN is saying if you don't resolve this soon, you're out. Meaning the league is officialy destroyed in the states.

consider the season uncancelled. Or atleast it would be stupid not to uncancel it now.

mrroboto

Banned
detroit area newstation just reported on this.

big time players/ex players are pushing for this meeting to be held this weekend to save the season.

word has it that if the owners agree to go with a $45 million dollar cap, the players will accept it. (the players want a $51 million cap, the owners want a $40 million cap).

our news media here has a pretty good ear on these things and the general feeling is that they will announce either late tomorrow or early sunday a 30 game nhl season.

Malakhov

Banned
There's a meeting tomorrow in New York.

Bob Mckenzie said on sportscenter that they must be very close to a deal or they wouldn't be any point to heading to NY this weekend. Hope he's right!

Kifimbo

You gotta be kidding me... It would be more stupid to play a 15 games season. Just because of ESPN ?! TV rights are already a joke, who cares if ESPN drops the NHL? The NHL gotta think long term! If there's a deal with a 40+ millions cap, it will not solve anything, and in 2 years ESPN will drop the NHL anyway...

Malakhov

Banned
At this point I'd take a fucking tournament and the winner gets the stanley cup over nothing at all.

If there is a deal at least we'll get hockey next year, if there's no deal, we're not so sure of that.

Malakhov

Banned
ESPNNews is reporting that the NHL and union meeting is taking place tonight and that the parties are on their way now.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Skip Bayless is a wanker - he rags on everything just - JUST - to piss people off. I remember when he filled in for Jim Rome once and started blasting the NBA....so many e-mails, so much hatred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom