• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL - There might just be a Season (part deux)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malakhov

Banned
dem said:
Bob Mckenzie seems to think the season is saved.

The Big Bobber is never wrong
Not that he's never wrong but he's probably the most credible hockey analyst, at least to me.

fallout

calder said:
Just to piss off other ppl, here's why I almost never read hockey columns on ESPN or CNNSI. :lol
calder says it's a trap. Bayless says it's a trap. Hell, even his face (
bayless_35x48.jpg
) says it's a trap. Do I listen? Noooo. Damn asshat.
dem said:
Bob Mckenzie seems to think the season is saved.

The Big Bobber is never wrong
He's my man on (Trade) D(eadline) Day.

bishoptl said:
Skip Bayless is a wanker - he rags on everything just - JUST - to piss people off. I remember when he filled in for Jim Rome once and started blasting the NBA....so many e-mails, so much hatred.

I agree.

Skip Bayless and his bum buddy Woody Paige are both the most pointless "analysts" in the history of sports television.

I'm not sure how they have jobs.

This is frigging AWESOME NEWS! Bring on the 28 game season!! :) I am psyched.

This seems like a done deal, it really does. I read reports that European players have already been told to come back to the States. :)

I hope the season starts March 1st. HOCKEY!!!!

This looks for real. ESPN News is reporting this on their banner. :)

dem

MaverickX9 said:
Can somebody quickly explain what this "linkage" is?

The NHLPA didn't like linkage in the contract...?

Basically it linked revenue to the salary cap.

If revenues went up.. the salary cap went up. If revenues went down.. the salary cap went down.

Atleast thats how i understand it.

calder

I still wish they'd just admit it was too late to save this season (and shit, it really really is) and yet they'll fix it all up for next year. Then meet for a while and get a good, non-rushed deal done and maybe get some big rule changes and fixes in place to announce so ppl can get excited for next year and teams can sign all those FA in a saner new economic order.

dem

IF this gets done.. trades and free agency is going to be insane. How is it going to get done?

Oh well :D

Malakhov

Banned
OMG OMG OMG

I think what will go on until the season starts will be more interesting than the actual season. UFAs still have to sign, Bruins have like 8 NHL players under contract, Caps in the 10s also :lol

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

dem

A guy like Ryan Smyth who signed for fairly little just to stay in Edmonton (3.5) has got to be pissed. With the rollback hes going to be knocked back into the 2 million range. :lol

YES YES THE SEASON'S COMING BACK YES

Do you guys remember how this went in the past? Do ya? The season is cancelled. Is there a chance that it could be saved? Of course.

But all this OMG OMG OMG WOOOOO shit is stupid. It was stupid in the past, it's stupid now. There is a chance that all of this is true, but I don't even think we're at a 50% chance that the season is saved at this point. Everyone wants hockey back- some want a short season, others want an elongated playoff, others want a certain start date for next season- but we all want it back.

Until then, just try and put a cap on the optimism to a certain degree, because chanting YES NHL IS BACK is just dumb at this point.

Malakhov

Banned
Er there will be a season, no doubt about it.

Only thing remaining is all the stupid boring stuff we don't care about to settle tomorrow.

Thank you Wayne, Mario and Shane Doan. You rawkz!

calder

Is there a list of the UFA/RFAs for this season? I think TSN's is for last year, and really the Bruins will have to sign like half a team in a weekend if there's a season. :lol

Malakhov

Banned
Most likely they'll bring like half of their AHL lineup :lol

And that's the right list Calder, Kovalev is with the Habs and Murray has yet to sign with someone if I remember correctly.

Malakhov said:
Er there will be a season, no doubt about it.
If there isn't a season, you're banned until the next one starts. But that's basically an empty threat because there's no doubt about it.

On the plus side, I'm upping my 50% prediction to 75%, as there is supposedly news that the Rangers have retained the rights to Jagr, and another team has done the same with some of their players in Europe.

It's looking good, lets just try to keep the IT'S FOR SURE HAPPENING shit to a minimum.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
I know what will save the NHL.
15 game season - teams that don't make the playoffs are OUTTA THE LEAGUE!

Malakhov

Banned
What will happen with Bertuzzi? Moore put up a lawsuit against him yesterday I think :(

I think Bert has to reaply to play right?

Socreges

Banned
Malakhov said:
What will happen with Bertuzzi? Moore put up a lawsuit against him yesterday I think :(

I think Bert has to reaply to play right?
I don't think the civil suit should affect anything.

But no, he still hasn't been reinstated.

And just for Mike... it's a done deal, baby! Believe the rumours this time! WOOOOOO! HOCKEY IS BACK! *JINX JINX JINX*!!

Seriously, I hate to come off as a jackass that hates optimism, but if you're a hockey fan at all, you know what we've been through for the last year. I don't want to re-go through that last part again, especially after they've told us the season is fucking cancelled. A deal should've been reached in the last 48 hours or whatever the timeframe was when the teams were like $7 million apart in the cap, and that didn't happen.

Lets just wait until we get more info tonight/tomorrow. As proven in the past, meetings between the two sides guarantees jack shit.

But at least it's rumored that Goodenow and Bettman aren't involved in the current process! That's enough to garner some optimism alone.

fallout

Question: Assuming the season is actually saved, how does it work out for all the players playing in European leagues?

android

Theoretical Magician
Yeah Mike but I think this different. I think the players have said "Fuck you, Goodenow. We decide now" I think they thought he would cave and when he didn't they took over.

Malakhov

Banned
I need to use pessimism, that's how I make my Habs win.

So yeah, it's 100% sure there's no season this year, fuck them all.

Socreges

Banned
What exactly has the NHLPA said? Did they release a statement that simply denied the rumours (which is to be expected considering the circumstances), or have they actually said that the season is still off?

Fei

NHL has uncancelled the season according to ESPNEWS now too! WOOOOOOO!!! THE CORSE ACTUALLY IS ALIVE =D

Fei said:
NHL has uncancelled the season according to ESPNEWS now too! WOOOOOOO!!! THE CORSE ACTUALLY IS ALIVE =D
Is ESPNEWS a tv show/channel or are you talking about ESPN's website? Their website is sourcing THN, which is the original source for ALL of these reports, so could you clarify if anything different is being said anywhere else, TV or other?

I hope Kovalev signs with the Penguins.

While we're at it, we might as well try and get Ronnie Francis, too.

Francis - Lemieux - Recchi would be badass, even though Francis is getting up there.

Hell, the Penguins have to spend $14 million to get up to the $32 million floor.

Mainline

such drama..wow. Also, I'd also normally wish for the penguins to own everyone, but not in a short season where Crosby is the potential prize for sucking.

Fei

ESPNEWS is another ESPN channel. They have had Darren Pang and Barry Melrose by phone on in the last 10 minutes also saying how the season is going to be officially uncancelled in the morning. They also did source it to The Hockey News, but Pang said he had contacted a few people who verified it. You can see it as breaking news on teh bottom line of ESPN2. Hockey fans celebrate!

MaverickX9 said:
I hope Kovalev signs with the Penguins.

While we're at it, we might as well try and get Ronnie Francis, too.

Francis - Lemieux - Recchi would be badass, even though Francis is getting up there.

Hell, the Penguins have to spend $14 million to get up to the $32 million floor.

There is no floor in the last proposal

Socreges

Banned
Alright, ABC-4 News in Baton Rouge has just reported that the season is back on. This is getting more and more concrete/exciting. Pretty much a sure thing now.

BigJonsson said:
There is no floor in the last proposal

Interesting.

I don't see how that helps the players any, though. I'm surprised they agreed to a deal without a floor.

I'm glad they did, though, if this whole thing is true.

I have mixed feelings about Kovalev, not sure if I want the Habs to sign him or not.

Kovey definitely had his best years in Pittsburgh.

He was playing with Lemieux, Jagr, Straka, and Lang...so that helps a bit.

I'm still surprised the Pens didn't make it to the Cup in 2000...they had so much offense. Their D kinda sucked, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom