• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL - There might just be a Season (part deux)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fei

The owner's last proposal had no floor, but the NHLPA's last proposal did. There's been no word I've heard either way about this subject in the new CBA.

Fei said:
You can see it as breaking news on teh bottom line of ESPN2. Hockey fans celebrate!
They are referencing THN source. Don't post 'Hockey fans celebrate', just don't. They're having a meeting. Do I think the odds are positive that the season will get uncancelled? At this point I actually do.

But PLEASE stop posting stuff like NHL IS BACK!! PLEASE. The next person who does so won't be able to post in this thread in a while. I'm anxiously awaiting updates to the situation, and I don't want to have to read posts riddled with false hope all over again.

Malakhov said:
Maverick: He wasnt too bad with the Habs during the playoffs last year ;)

That is something he didn't do too often with the Pens.

He was decent in the playoffs at times, but he couldn't really be counted on. Heck, the one year he probably only had like 5 points through a few series.

Drensch

Am I the only one who doesn't want this to get done?

No. Unless what we hear is completely different than what is going on? This will change nothing. It will only delay another cancellation. A cap doesn't keep prices under control, it doesn't fix ticket prices, it doesn't fix underlying weakness in certain markets. If they want to fix hockey, they need a real CBA that would actually deal with both the problems. Not to mention other problems in the NHL's product.

Drensch

But PLEASE stop posting stuff like NHL IS BACK!! PLEASE. The next person who does so won't be able to post in this thread in a while. I'm anxiously awaiting updates to the situation, and I don't want to have to read posts riddled with false hope all over again.

My local news is all over it. "NHL is back! Wayne Gretzky and Lemeuix save the season. {insert severl arena district business owner interviews} $5 million cap. Blue jackets are being ordered to report for camp. ETC, ETC.

Malakhov

Banned
Meh, nothing's quite done yet. The owners might have to vote on it and well it would only take 8 votes against it to block the process. A lot of owners were pissed off about the 42.5 millions offer apparently, so why would they accept a 45 millions offer?

I'm pessimist on this now.

pestul

Drensch said:
My local news is all over it. "NHL is back! Wayne Gretzky and Lemeuix save the season. {insert severl arena district business owner interviews} $5 million cap. Blue jackets are being ordered to report for camp. ETC, ETC.
I think the NHL would be in good shape financially if that were agreed too..
:lol

Drensch said:
$5 million cap. Blue jackets are being ordered to report for camp. ETC, ETC.
Well that's great, they'll be able to play Denis for about 10 games this season, and maybe even rent Rick Nash for a period or two! They could call it Nash Night!

tralfazz

I'm looking forward to the possibility. I agree with EJ from ESPN who said Gretzky and Lemieux wouldn't be in NY for tomorrow if something good wasn't going to come of it. :)

tralfazz said:
I'm looking forward to the possibility. I agree with EJ from ESPN who said Gretzky and Lemieux wouldn't be in NY for tomorrow if something good wasn't going to come of it. :)

Yeah, I think it says a lot that Mario and Wayne are so involved in the process (if they are truly involved).

Maybe they are discussing Wayne's comeback to the NHL...Lemieux - Gretzky - Recchi...Recchi would score like 156 goals if that happened... :lol

dem

Bob Mckenzie: "according to the rumors, Mike Gartner is the new defacto leader of the NHLPA".

tralfazz said:
That's not an intelligent way of looking at it. Obviously it's positive that they're stepping in, as they're both true ambassador's of the sport and want what's best for it, but saying "Greztky and Lemieux are going so something good has to happen!" is just ignorant. It's a good sign! But it does mean something good is going to happen.

dem said:
Bob Mckenzie: "according to the rumors, Mike Gartner is the new defacto leader of the NHLPA".
TSN Sportscenter had Gord Murphie, Bob McKenzie, and Glen Healy (via phone) talking about the possible deal at the top of the show. Right after Bob McKenzie said that there are rumors coming in that Gartner stepped up in the process and is now the defacto leader, Goodenow wanted nothing to do with the process involving acception a cap, and isn't involved in these discussions, Glen Healy COMPLETELY contradicted him, saying Goodenow is heavily involved, and Gartner hasn't done much at all.

It'll be very interesting how this entire story- not just whether or not the season gets 'uncancelled' pans out from all fronts.

Malakhov

Banned
Not getting my hopes up now, I don't want to be terribly disapointed like Wednesday again.

So here's hoping we have a season and I can enjoy watching my Habs once again and see Bonk in the Habs uniform for the first time :)

calder

I guess I'll accept a ridiculously shortened season if it meant that Glen Healy would stroke out on TV and slip into a drooling catatonic state from being *so wrong* about everything for the last 5 months.

tralfazz

Mike Works said:
That's not an intelligent way of looking at it. Obviously it's positive that they're stepping in, as they're both true ambassador's of the sport and want what's best for it, but saying "Greztky and Lemieux are going so something good has to happen!" is just ignorant. It's a good sign! But it does mean something good is going to happen.

Bro, I like your show and I admire your style but please ease up a smidge. I understand and agree with the policy of let's not get crazy and proclaim game on when it ain't but now we can't have a little optimism without being labeled ignorant? We all want the season.

Malakhov

Banned
calder said:
I guess I'll accept a ridiculously shortened season if it meant that Glen Healy would stroke out on TV and slip into a drooling catatonic state from being *so wrong* about everything for the last 5 months.
Me too, he's REALLY getting of my nerves.

tralfazz said:
Bro, I like your show and I admire your style but please ease up a smidge. I understand and agree with the policy of let's not get crazy and proclaim game on when it ain't but now we can't have a little optimism without being labeled ignorant? We all want the season.
You can have optimism. Hell, I have optimism, I think a deal is going to be reached this weekend. I just don't want to hear stuff like Gretzky and Lemieux are at the meeting, this can only mean good things! Because that's wrong. Just because those two are at the meeting does not make it a sure thing. Not at all. I'm cool with people giving their opinion and saying they think a deal will be reached. I just don't want to hear people saying ESPN SAYS THE SEASON IS UNCANCELLED, THE SEASON IS UNCANCELLED FOR SURE, THE NHL IS BACK, etc.

So yeah, everyone here can have optimism without being labeled ignorant. Just be careful in how you present that optimism.

Alucard

Banned
Crazy. I get home from work and read about all of these secret meetings, phone conversations, and behind-the-scenes dealings. Whoa. If Gretz and Mario actually help to put this thing together, then I'll hop on board the NHL train just 'cause I have such huge respect for the two of them.

Kypreos and Healy say that Goodenow is in power and that this isnt done yet

Mackenzie and Watters say its done and that kypreos and healy are idiots

I love this lol

TSN also said that ESPN and its tv deal may have played a big role in this

*crosses fingers*

Alucard

Banned
Glen Healy is the biggest tool in hockey broadcasting. It's like he tries to be outspoken and controversial to try and make a name for himself.

Let's have some more of this before the summer...

c_lemieux_i.jpg

Hahahaha, "Kypreos and Healy". Where's Al Strachan, we need to complete the trifecta of suck!

Oh hell, lets throw in Greg Millen too!

android

Theoretical Magician
BigJonsson said:
Kypreos and Healy say that Goodenow is in power and that this isnt done yet

Mackenzie and Watters say its done and that kypreos and healy are idiots
Kypreos and Healy just don't want to admit that their former collegues have caved to the owners.

Alucard

Banned
Give me Millen over Healy any day of the week.

And yeah, I'm actually getting pretty excited about the possibility of a season now, whereas before I was all "fuck the league". Really hoping this deal gets done and the puck gets dropped. If Aleksey Morozov comes back to play for the Pens, it would be all the better for me. :)

I'm concerned that if its only intra division games that some good teams in the northeast will get screwed cause all the teams are pretty good

Unlike the southeast....tampa will win the presidents trophy easy

Alucard

Banned
Okay, no use worrying about this stuff now. I've got work in the morning, so if/when the press conference happens I won't be able to watch it live. Booooo. Anyways...bed time. Peace oot. Go Pens go.

Haha

Leafs will win the cup because
They have a lot of players under contract
A lot of old guys who will benefit from a short season

lol

theo

Contest Winner
BigJonsson said:
Haha

lol

damn right
GO LEAFS GO*

android

Theoretical Magician
BigJonsson said:
Haha

lol
:lol The Leafs. A great team for those who can't play a full season.

I wonder if the cap starts out at $45 million right away? If so, how will certain teams get under the cap before the start of the season? Rangers? Red Wings? Devils??? Seems like a difficult task.

spliced

Alucard said:
Give me Millen over Healy any day of the week.

Me to but that's only because Healy is that, and I do mean THAT, bad. Dead air beats out both of them though.

g_bettman_ft.jpg

What is with this pic of Bettman they have on ESPN's website. It looks like he's trying to do the George Bush monkey face.

Maxwell House said:
I wonder if the cap starts out at $45 million right away? If so, how will certain teams get under the cap before the start of the season? Rangers? Red Wings? Devils??? Seems like a difficult task.

Rangers don't have many players signed right now

And any top tier free agents are gonna have to sign for a lot less than usual

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
So how long before teams start getting "booster clubs" like the NCAA has?

"If you sign with Toronto we'll give you a Ferrari and a mansion to get around the cap" :wink:

SickBoy

I'm calling it 65-35 it'll happen. In some ways it won't surprise me if it took cancelling the season to save the season. Maybe they should have announced a drop-dead date earlier...

...dumbasses.

At this point if the deal crumbles into the ether tomorrow, I think even more fans are going to be feeling alienated. (even more than the considerable chunk today -- more than 50% of readers answering a poll in a local paper said they'd like to see the owners bring in replacements for 05-06... can't remember if it was asked or how many said they wouldn't watch hockey again)

Manics

Banned
What a bizzare thing. They cancel the season, now it may be un-cancelled. I thought this sort of crap only happened in movies. If this really happens, and the joke of a 28 game season takes place, well I don't know what I'll do.

pestul

Manics said:
What a bizzare thing. They cancel the season, now it may be un-cancelled. I thought this sort of crap only happened in movies. If this really happens, and the joke of a 28 game season takes place, well I don't know what I'll do.
Watch it?

Manics

Banned
pestul said:
Watch it?

Yeah I'll watch. The whole process just bugs me. Also, how valid will a Stanley Cup winner be this year after only 25-28 games in the season? We'll most likely see an * beside the Cup winner this year.

fallout

Maxwell House said:
I remember reading somewhere that the new deal won't come into effect till next season ... you know, if there's a deal.

Malakhov

Banned
Suggestions that a deal was reached to end the NHL lockout were at best premature and at worst dead wrong, multiple sources told TSN late Friday night.

On Saturday, league sources told TSN that the NHL may be prepared to make another offer to the players, but that it would contain only "cosmetic" changes to the $42.5 million dollar deal that was presented as a "final offer" to the players on Tuesday night.

Meh.

At least there's a meeting going on :(

Malakhov

Banned
The post and WFAN NY Radio are reporting that union chief Bob Goodenow has been excused from the negotiating process by the NHLPA.

Malakhov

Banned
Farhan Lalji on TSN said that Bettman was sent back to the league offices after a breakfast meeting with Daly and some ownership groups. Bettman is not part of the talks either.

So no Goodenow and no Bettman.

pestul

Malakhov said:
Farhan Lalji on TSN said that Bettman was sent back to the league offices after a breakfast meeting with Daly and some ownership groups. Bettman is not part of the talks either.

So no Goodenow and no Bettman.
How can the deal even be ratified now w/o them? If it can.. wouldn't that force them to resign?

tralfazz

pestul said:
How can the deal even be ratified now w/o them? If it can.. wouldn't that force them to resign?

That may be the point. It seems from what has been discussed that neither has many fans in their own camp after the standoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom