• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni No Kuni 2 - Combat System Breakdown

it looks good, and seems like it could play well, but I'm pretty disenchanted with the entire action RPG genre that I'm not sure I want to try this or not. Never played the first.

I never played the first game but one of the big complaints seemed to be the combat. This looks to be a big improvement? Visually, it's looking really nice.

The combat was definitely NNK's worst aspect.

Hopefully they also address the abysmal capture rates of monsters. I would much prefer a system where capture was guaranteed, but required maybe something more than "kill enemy".

ethomaz

Banned
I don't understand why a developer needs to rip off one of the highlight features of the first game... that is why most sequels can't live up to the originals :(

I can understand they changing the battle system (that I loved) but no monster collection??? what a shame.

vypek

Looks good. I'm still in even if monster collection falls by the wayside. Seems like it will be fun enough

Can't wait for this.

Aside from the "chibi overworld" I really love everything I'm seeing.

I love the chibi overworld (alternatively: prettied up classic RPG overworld). Exploring NNK's world map on foot, by sea, and by air was one of my great gaming pleasures last gen. It's pretty, plenty of secrets, and it works to give you the sense of scale of the adventure.

Also, the combat is indeed looking much improved. So excited for is one. If they nail the story could be GOTG tier for me...

silva1991

Did they actually confirm no familiars at all? those pikmin looking creatures look like the familiars of this game to me and I'm sure there will be alot of them.

Seems great
Cant wait for it
2017 is confirned for the west, right?

That was in the PSX trailer so yes.

jiggle

I can understand they changing the battle system (that I loved) but no monster collection??? what a shame.
We don't know if it's gone yet do bwe?
Maybe they are just not ready to show more of it yet?

Besides the graphics
Pets and spells outside of battle were like the best part of the original
So I hope they all make it in

Ricker

So its more like StarOcean/Tales now ?...not that I dont like those but I liked the semi turn base sytem of the first with the pets and all...no more Cut Loose ...oh well,still looks great.

eXistor

I found the combat in the first game to be insufferable. I'm really hoping they seriously change things this time around. But it's Level5, they always find a way to screw things up.

Zesh

Really nice analysis and looks spot-on; thanks for this. Looks like this is going full action RPG, which is fine with me.

I love the chibi overworld (alternatively: prettied up classic RPG overworld). Exploring NNK's world map on foot, by sea, and by air was one of my great gaming pleasures last gen. It's pretty, plenty of secrets, and it works to give you the sense of scale of the adventure.

Actually, I was referring to how the characters look:

uRVDJ0k.png

Poor choice of words, my bad.

jiggle

So its more like StarOcean/Tales now ?...not that I dont like those but I liked the semi turn base sytem of the first with the pets and all...no more Cut Loose ...oh well,still looks great.
Imma guess Ffxiv was the inspiration

grumble

I actually quite liked the monster collecting part of the game, it's too bad that is taking a back seat in the sequel. Looks pretty good though.

I am so glad I clicked on this thread. I didn't enjoy the first one but I'm going to give it another chance some day. Looking at the gifs in the OP makes me want to get this game now.

lt519

I'm in no matter what. But I'm one of the few that liked the combat from the first game. The AI was bad, but part of the game became managing so quickly that the AI was a non-factor, especially the post game bosses. It could have been improved upon but removing monster catching and distilling down the combat to be more action oriented could be a major bummer for me.

I didn't really care for the fact that you only fought the same creatures you would catch in the first game. Also the towns were too small/linear after the first one.

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
To me, Ni No Kuni was disappointing because of its wasted potential. It's beautiful looking, it sounds amazing, the characters are good, etc, but it dulls on you once you get sick of the game itself.

Despite that, this is easily my most anticipated game of the year. Ni No Kuni's problems are ones that can be ironed out, and from the looks of it they're doing a good job so far. It looks gorgeous.

DirtyCase

Looks like an improved combat system from the first one.

I loved the world of the NNK but I stalled out in plsying towards the end. I will have to go back and be the White Witch.

RDreamer

There's only a character designer from Ghibli working on the game, but Joe Hisaishi is doing the music again (thank god).

Oh thank god for both of those. Ensures it should at leave have a good amount of the magic in the first one. I hope the writing can be up to par. To me NNK is a classic already.

LordofPwn

I know someone beat you, next someone will link a lady with the name Bob.

Either way I stand corrected.
Well I've got a cousin named Bobbi and I also went to school with a couple girls named Evan...

Back on topic, I'm stoked for this game, combat looks like it could be better than the 1st game. I enjoyed the first game, combat wasn't anything to write home about, but it wasn't awful either.

Hope it makes 2017, but I can wait till 2018 without much fuss.

Renekton

I don't understand why a developer needs to rip off one of the highlight features of the first game... that is why most sequels can't live up to the originals :(

Some people were extremely vocal against it, and they listened 😞

Ratrat

I think they once had bigger plans for the franchise that failed with the DS version. NNK2 doesnt need to attract the Pokemon crowd now and be a nore straightforward console RPG.

Ni No Kuni was probably my favorite PS3 game, and those GIFs make this sequel look fantastic. This is my most anticipated game to date.

Draxyle

Neo Member
Combat was definitely my biggest problem with the first game (on top of the inconsistency of what was voice acted and what wasn't). I do hope this one irons that out a bit.

I felt like the SMT Raidou games did the same exact same kind of "action pokemon" combat much better. Having a dedicated button that instantly makes your allies defend would have made NNK a million times smoother to play.

Top Bottom