• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni No Kuni 2 - Combat System Breakdown

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
One of the big disappointments for me at psx. I loved the original and at first glance I was pretty hyped, then it became clear familiars are most likely diminished in a big way in this one. Will pass on this one if that's confirmed.

As long as the AI isn't rubbish its gonna be more playable for me than the first one. Loved everything about it but the stupid combat party AI made me unable to continue playing it.

Strings

Wish they'd have gone with a turn-based or menu driven real-time system (~Xenoblade Chronicles).

Generally not a fan of Level-5's real-time combat (Rogue Galaxy, Dark Cloud 1 and 2), outside of the original Ni No Kuni, where sometimes I feel like the only person in the entire world who dug the way it played.

finalflame

Looks great. Honestly, as long as the load in/out of battles is much faster, I'm happy. Of course, the battle system in NNK left a lot to be improved, but it looks like it's headed in the right direction.
Is the main character a boy or a girl?

62440366.jpg

Shin-Ra

The least they could do is put in an MP bar for the AI party members, which still looks like it's missing here.

It's one of the worst parts of the first game's crappy combat system, where the AI would just waste all MP as soon as possible and you'd have very little indication that they'd ran out without having to basically stop the battle to use items.
Showing the MP bar doesn't prevent the AI from wasting magic, if anything they could use the hidden MP to cheat critical spells like curing without using MP at all.

Top Bottom