• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni II New Gameplay and Previews

silva1991

That one is easy, this one thou, so many reload.
familiar1base_zpsbfde5946.jpg

I never got this one..

Reorx

looks great but fml, I already have a huge backlog (FFXV, both KH remasters, XII HD, Witcher 3 + DLC's) that i have to play through :(

Can't wait for this game. The story looks more compelling than the first and the game is beautiful. Will definitely be picking it up.

Looks great. I loved the aesthetic in NNK, one but never got round to finishing the game.

Impressive that it hits 60 fps. I reckon Gravity Rush 2 is the nicest looking cartoon style game out there, and I don't think this will displace it, but it is up there.

I think Gravity Rush 2 looks great. But I think NNK2 beats it by a country mile from what we've seen. Obviously much of this just comes down to personal aesthetic. I'm a huge sucker for this kind of whimsical fantasy world that doesn't try too hard for realism, and they seem to have hit that perfectly here.

That's weird. Ghibli aren't a 'kiddie story' company though. Mononoke and Grave of the Fireflies would have a word, they are far more violent and bloody and 'pushing the limit' than this game will be

Right. That's just what I was gleaning from the IGN preview in the OP.

IGN said:
10) It Will Have a Story That’s More for Adults

“The first game was not intentionally made for kids,” Hino-san told me during our interview, “but because the protagonist was a child and the story unfolded from his viewpoint, it seemed that way to many players. Ni No Kuni 2 adds a more mature perspective.” That perspective comes in the form of Roland, Evan’s adviser and 48 year old in disguise, adding “an extra layer for adult players to engage with the story.”

It's a shame many players apparently had that attitude. Wrath of the White Witch’s story worked on several levels, and the subtext – of dealing with loss by escaping to a fantasy land where you have agency – was very much for adults. (I’d recommend reading Andy Corrigan’s insight into it here.) The fact that it was filtered through the eyes of a child only made it more pure. Having such a young protagonist also helped the game feel even more like a Studio Ghibli story, and by the narrative’s conclusion Oliver had truly grown, and had come to terms with his loss.

Level-5 may have felt like they needed to shift to a (slightly) older protagonist and introduce a more worldly adviser, but I’m sure Revenant Kingdom’s tale will have similar thematic depth to Wrath of the White Witch.

I want to want this. Haven't played the first, only game from Level-5 that I have played and beaten is Rogue Galaxy and boy was it a pretty good game.

I see some of it's DNA in this game so I'm wondering if I should take a shot. Looks mind blowingly interesting.

Heh, from IGN:

Roland, you see, was “the President of a major country in his world at only 48 years old, [and] enjoyed great popularity,” but when he “mysteriously finds himself in this world, he has become a 20 year old youth.”

Sooooo... he's Obama?

Kremzeek

Oh my god so beautiful!

The art & animation is really outstanding!

I'm so happy a game this big is being made.
Please come out in NA this year!

dan2026

Heh, from IGN:

Roland, you see, was “the President of a major country in his world at only 48 years old, [and] enjoyed great popularity,” but when he “mysteriously finds himself in this world, he has become a 20 year old youth.”

Sooooo... he's Obama?
Why couldn't he just be 48?

Again Japan obsessed with making everyone super young.

I think Gravity Rush 2 looks great. But I think NNK2 beats it by a country mile from what we've seen. Obviously much of this just comes down to personal aesthetic. I'm a huge sucker for this kind of whimsical fantasy world that doesn't try too hard for realism, and they seem to have hit that perfectly here.

Fair enough. From what is shown here, Geometry, density, shading, even lighting, I think all look more impressive to me in Gravity Rush 2. It just comes together incredibly. I don't think the environmental shading in this is quite as striking either.

pablito

Hope it doesn't get too adult and mature. Maybe something around DQ8. I love with light hearted adventure feel DQ8 and NNK 1 have.

Nah.

Hope it doesn't get too adult and mature. Maybe something around DQ8. I love with light hearted adventure feel DQ8 and NNK 1 have.

Agreed on DQ8, that game had great humour as well, although I gather most of the game content came from Enix. NNK wasn't as entertaining writing wise.

Ducktail

So Ghibli aren't involved anymore and there won't by any more familiars. That's a lot to digest, though the game sure looks very beautiful.

Oh man PC release? That's awesome!!! Didn't expect that at all! Man so many great games to play - this year is going to be something else. Can't wait for the release date though - the game looks fantastic so far and so so so pretty. The combat looks a lot faster and more fluid, too...

PC release - what great news!

Probably because it would super creepy to have a 48 year old man and 2 12 year old kids palling around together.

The Mr miyagi days are long over sadly

Why not just make him the president's son, who has expert advice lol.

Maybe there's a story reason, but it doesn't change the fact that Im being followed around by an old man.

Exentryk

Looks really good! Those Higgledies might actually be fun to use. Good to see we have easy access to command them.

AudioEppa

So the gameplay is like ffxv now? I didn't get far in the first one because I didn't realize it was turn base, which I hate.

Fair enough. From what is shown here, Geometry, density, shading, even lighting, I think all look more impressive to me in Gravity Rush 2. It just comes together incredibly. I don't think the environmental shading in this is quite as striking either.

I won't argue on those counts -- you are probably right. I just know which game I'd rather spend time looking at is all (and, again, I think GR2 looks very nice indeed).

The combat looks so much better this time it's not even funny.

I'm not crazy about them still using a monster system but the Higgledies appear to be way more engaging than the Familiars so I'll probably enjoy it.

That looks incredible! The more and more I see this game...

We need a release date soon! Glad it is coming to PC for those who want to play it there

Tyaren

Nice that German game press isn't sleeping for once but even has more info than some of the English sites. :)

Thrilled to play the game this year! :)

The elemental fairy support looked like Pikmin by the way.

Labadal

Hm, can't really find a definitive answer on this. Is Ghibli still involved? I recall hearing they aren't helping with 2 but now I'm reading former Ghibli staff are involved?

Really looking forward to this. I didn't mind the combat in 1 but I'm not sure if I would have liked another collectathon with familiars in 2. The fresh take should be interesting.

Also, PC release is stellar. The more folks that can witness Ni no Kuni, the better!
Watch the German interview posted in the OP.

CrazyDude

Interesting how this game has essentially been exclusively marketed to the west. The text and voices are in English and it seem western game media is getting priority.

Game looks good, but that world map looks awful and feels out of place. 60 FPS is a nice surprise tho.

Couldn't disagree more on the world map. Sure, it's unusual to have a high fidelity game w/ a classic-type jrpg world map, but for those of us who still feel fondly toward the classic jrpg world map, this kind of design is basically cat-nip. Unrealistic as the representation is, traveling on this kind of semi-stylized world map can evoke a feeling of grand, world-spanning journey (for me at least) in a way that 1-to-1 scaled environments typically don't.

Top Bottom