• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni II New Gameplay and Previews

The world map is SO ugly eww.

Ninokuni 1's was so amazing...don't like that change.

Looks like they pasted it out of World of Final Fantasy which has an ugly art style itself.

The rest looks alright though. Hopefully it's not as boring as Ninokunii's gameplay, and the plot is less cookie cutter.

Edit: Familiars gone?

My hype just skyrocketed!!!! YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! Combat will be much better for it!

Y'know, it is games like this and Persona 5 that make me WISH people got over the whole "everything has to be photorealistic" thing and were more accepting of cel-shading/cartoony art styles. I'd love more games to go the toony" route where the character models are cel-shaded and the backgrounds, while being fully 3d, have the look and texture of being painted like actual cartoon backgrounds. Not just Japanese games (though I'd love Square Enix to dabble in this style for a new Chrono game), but Western games. Hell, I'd love comic-based games that are given a more comic-look. It saddens me that the majority will forever chase the "realism" train over anything else.

Mar Nosso

Banned
Why is it not yet up for pre-order on Amazon UK?? With familiars gone, a world building element, faster paced battles, the same awesomely beautiful art style and 60fps, I must pre-order this thing right NOW!

And also finish the first one. God those slow, cumbersome battles killed my interest.

Y'know, it is games like this and Persona 5 that make me WISH people got over the whole "everything has to be photorealistic" thing and were more accepting of cel-shading/cartoony art styles. I'd love more games to go the toony" route where the character models are cel-shaded and the backgrounds, while being fully 3d, have the look and texture of being painted like actual cartoon backgrounds. Not just Japanese games (though I'd love Square Enix to dabble in this style for a new Chrono game), but Western games. Hell, I'd love comic-based games that are given a more comic-look. It saddens me that the majority will forever chase the "realism" train over anything else.

Agreed. There should certainly be room for multiple aesthetics. Some of the best looking games to my eye pursue consistent non-photorealistic aesthetics (e.g., Okami).

One thing about photo-realism -- because our eyes have been trained by what things look like in the real world, it's usually easier to measure aesthetic "improvements" in visual representation as they march toward the photo-real. And of course we all like progress...

Is Manet a better artist than Monet? While I might think so, that's a tough argument to make in concrete terms. But it's self evident that Uncharted 4 looks more like real life than Uncharted 1.

Holy shit I can't believe this is coming to pc, is there another thread discussing this incredible news? First level 5 game on pc.

edit: found it.

kevin1025

Banned
Oh man, can't wait! And so cool to hear that it's further along than expected!

Now all I need is Amazon Canada to pop up a product page!

AzureFlame

The world map is SO ugly eww.

Ninokuni 1's was so amazing...don't like that change.

Looks like they pasted it out of World of Final Fantasy which has an ugly art style itself.

The rest looks alright though. Hopefully it's not as boring as Ninokunii's gameplay, and the plot is less cookie cutter.

Edit: Familiars gone?

My hype just skyrocketed!!!! YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! Combat will be much better for it!

huh? why is it ugly, the only difference i see from NNK1 is models are chibi now, looks absolutely beautiful.

RK9039

Yeah I'm not too fond of the new character models in the map exploration either, the first game handled that perfectly. But the map design here looks way better.

Exentryk

The world map is gorgeous! This is next gen JRPG!

giphy.gif

wapplew

None realistic art style might make some consumer question the price tag tho.

ShdwDrake

Banned
So the gameplay is like ffxv now? I didn't get far in the first one because I didn't realize it was turn base, which I hate.

The first one isn't turned based at all what game did you play? (Unless you mean that menus = turn based which is where I will agree to disagree.)

Taelus

Why do the overworld and the exploration levels seem to have different art styles? Not just the characters, but the environments too.

Wow! It looks really great . I did like the monster collection of the first one so im sad to see it go but in a way, I'm happy because I don't need to make a list of the most OP characters to have on my team to get through it. The current gameplay looks so good. I can't wait

gfxtwin

Looks good, though I really, really miss the way the environments used to look more like Ghibli background paintings. Looks more like a generic RPG now, I actually prefer the graphics of the PS3 one TBH.

Shin-Ra

The chibi world map characters wouldn't look so bad if the camera was higher so you mostly see the head.

I'd like normal/chibi proportions setting and maybe camera distance quick-switch.

geordiemp

Never played a JRPG - I really havent. Got FF XV in my backlog waiting to break the chains.

But this looks like action Diablo 3 type combat in 3D - is that correct ?

If so, colour me interested.

AzureFlame

Looks good, though I really, really miss the way the environments used to look more like Ghibli background paintings. Looks more like a generic RPG now, I actually prefer the graphics of the PS3 one TBH.

The director said there is a reason why the overworld looks like this now, we will find out in future.

Rage-why.png

1st game world map is much better ! Give me back my cell shading !

Yeah, I agree. The almost chibi looking models without the cell-shaded greatness of the first game. It looks surprisingly (or perhaps comparatively) bad.

Still very excited for the game, though.

wmlk

I actually think it looks worse than Ni No Kuni. The world map currently has a much more realistic look that is really jarring since they're emphasizing the chibi proportions now. There's not a lot of additional detail compared to the first game to make me feel any better about it. Like, this was a really appealing thing in the first game and seeing it regress is surprising and disappointing.

I don't think I'm gonna buy Hino's explanation for the world map looking the way it does.

I'm so lukewarm on the game still. After the first trailer with new Hisaishi music, we haven't gotten a single new piece since and the last trailer was also poorly cut with no flow to it. The combat still looks slow and lacks mobility even if they're trying to go more an active style in this one. I really thought a sequel would fix almost all of the issues I had with the first game.

EDIT: Huh, I didn't notice the dodge roll. Casting a fire spell is also quick.

Going to be one of those sequels where their fans of the first kinda bow out because of some change or another and new people join in because it looks different enough. Fair game I suppose

Top Bottom