• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

• I did most of the quests available to me at the time and clocked in at around 24 Hours for the first playthrough, though the main story for Route A could be completed in less.
  • Once you complete one Route, you begin the next after loading the same file. New Routes can either be new perspectives on the same story, or entirely new events never seen before, always with new mechanics & content.
  • See above - in short, yes.

Around 15-25 hours to get to the end of Route A depending on how much side content you do.
After you clear a route you'll be asked to save. Load the save and you'll start on the next route. There are no choices putting you onto different routes.
3. (This one's kind of big so you might not want to click this)
Route B is a replay of Route A but from 9S's perspective instead of 2B's, with changed up gameplay, new cutscenes, and some different story quests at certain points. Route C/D starts from the end of A/B and is the second half of the game.

Thanks.. You just sold me on it

killatopak

I sold my PS4 because I was gonna go get a pro. So here in Japan and Pro is sold out in Kagoshima. FUCK. Gonna go and travel to Fukuoka and try my best there.

Damn. I better get a pro before March 7 or I would rage.

Edit: Wait what? Patch 1.03 removes the 'offensive' items such as N64? sad :(

Aizo

Banned
I sold my PS4 because I was gonna go get a pro. So here in Japan and Pro is sold out in Kagoshima. FUCK. Gonna go and travel to Fukuoka and try my best there.

Damn. I better get a pro before March 7 or I would rage.
I bought a pro in Japan in January. Your best bet is to head to a small mom and pop shop. Geo and Yodobashi were sold out, but this tiny local shop where I love had several Pros.

lol 51 pages and the game isn't even out yet in the west. Nice.

A couple of questions I have and I apologize if they've been answered but the thread is big and I want to avoid accidentally spoiling myself.

How difficult is the platinum? Is that fishing minigame tied to to any trophies? After platinuming FF15 and Okami recently I don't think I can handle another jrpg fishing grindfest.

From what I heard there's 26 endings but most are joke endings rights? Is it hard to get all of them? Is unlocking the main endings as simple as replaying the game or something more? And if it is replaying do you have to replay the whole thing or just a portion like in the original? If it doesn't come from replaying I don't want to know the answer to this.

Thanks in advance.

Hektor

lol 51 pages and the game isn't even out yet in the west. Nice.

A couple of questions I have and I apologize if they've been answered but the thread is big and I want to avoid accidentally spoiling myself.

How difficult is the platinum? Is that fishing minigame tied to to any trophies? After platinuming FF15 and Okami recently I don't think I can handle another jrpg fishing grindfest.

From what I heard there's 26 endings but most are joke endings rights? Is it hard to get all of them? Is unlocking the main endings as simple as replaying the game or something more? And if it is replaying do you have to replay the whole thing or just a portion like in the original? If it doesn't come from replaying I don't want to know the answer to this.

Thanks in advance.

Regarding trophies:

Without spoiling, let's say it's impossible not to get the Plat if you try. Fishing is not required
With gameplay spoiler:
You can buy all trophies for ingame money

It's hard to get all joke endings on your own, rather easy if you look up the internet.

Getting all major endings isn't difficult

Regarding trophies:

Without spoiling, let's say it's impossible not to get the Plat if you try. Fishing is not required
With gameplay spoiler:
You can buy all trophies for ingame money

It's hard to get all joke endings on your own, rather easy if you look up the internet.

Getting all major endings isn't difficult

Thanks for the quick reply. I've seen that spoiler posted, and
do they cost a lot of money to buy relative to how much you earn in game?
, also let's say I don't want to do that and earn it legit, how difficult would that be?

Also are the joke endings actual endings for beating the game or are they along the lines of you get them if you die a certain way?

Hektor

, also let's say I don't want to do that and earn it legit, how difficult would that be?

Also are the joke endings actual endings for beating the game or are they along the lines of you get them if you die a certain way?

They don't cost a lot compaired to what you earn in the lategame.

Earning them legitimiately would take a lot more effort, tho still far away from impossible. In that case, fishing would be required tho.

The latter

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Joke/alternate endings are if you do things differently in the game. Some of them are not exactly jokes though, and can tell you a lot about the state of the world

They don't cost a lot compaired to what you earn in the lategame.

Earning them legitimiately would take a lot more effort, tho still far away from impossible. In that case, fishing would be required tho.

The latter

Joke/alternate endings are if you do things differently in the game. Some of them are not exactly jokes though, and can tell you a lot about the state of the world

Nice. Thanks for the info guys.

Edit: Actually I do have one more question. Combat wise from playing the demo it really felt like the came pushed me more towards shooting enemies as opposed to meleeing them. Is Melee combat more prevalent in the full game or do most enemies have the ability to shoot at you?

Mupod

trying to avoid spoilery stuff. But just curious how much the combat expands once you get access to more abilities. You could do some cool stuff in the demo but you couldn't get cuhrayzee on the level of some of Platinum's other action games. But it seemed like there was potential there. Like I can expect some insanely technical combo videos or should I just expect more of the demo?

It's funny, when I first played the demo I liked it but I was expecting something more like MGR. It made me immediately go play the copy of Nier that had been sitting in my drawer for years, and it made a lot more sense after that.

raven777

trying to avoid spoilery stuff. But just curious how much the combat expands once you get access to more abilities. You could do some cool stuff in the demo but you couldn't get cuhrayzee on the level of some of Platinum's other action games. But it seemed like there was potential there. Like I can expect some insanely technical combo videos or should I just expect more of the demo?

It's funny, when I first played the demo I liked it but I was expecting something more like MGR. It made me immediately go play the copy of Nier that had been sitting in my drawer for years, and it made a lot more sense after that.

It's not a pure action game like MGR/DMC/Bayonetta so if you are expecting something like that, I think you might be disappointed.

Hektor

Nice. Thanks for the info guys.

Edit: Actually I do have one more question. Combat wise from playing the demo it really felt like the came pushed me more towards shooting enemies as opposed to meleeing them. Is Melee combat more prevalent in the full game or do most enemies have the ability to shoot at you?

There are parts of the game that rely on shooting, but generally melee is the way to go, shooting doesn't exactly deal a lot of damage.

The combat never really forces you to put out some extreme combos or anything, but it definitely allows you to put a lot of creativity into it if that's what you want.

I mean, just look at this jif

qDwLWoy.gif

The combat in the demo is pretty much the final game without other pod programs and one weapon type. You can do some cool stuff but you're not getting Bayonetta/DMC3/4 level combos or anything.

Inuhanyou

Its not DMC or Platinum's other action games, it is simplified and not anywhere near as interested in combo strings, there is no combo move list or anything in that vein either.

This is literally Nier's gameplay systems platinumified if that makes sense rather than a traditional game of theirs

Mupod

It's not a pure action game like MGR/DMC/Bayonetta so if you are expecting something like that, I think you might be disappointed.

to be clear I was only expecting something like that when going into the demo blind. I was slightly confused by what I was playing, but I didn't hate it. Then I finally played Nier and it made perfect sense, as the demo really is 'what if Nier had good gameplay'. But I still like to explore how technical I can get in these games. In the demo that more or less boiled down to switching around weapons in the middle of attack strings.

The combat never really forces you to put out some extreme combos or anything, but it definitely allows you to put a lot of creativity into it if that's what you want.

I mean, just look at this jif

yeah that's what I mean. I see a slow time bubble and a grappling hook/devil bringer in there. I wasn't sure how much of that was in the final game.

Aizo

Banned
Beat the game for the first time. It's definitely good, but I'm not loving it yet as much as I had expected. That could obviously change over the course of the next routes, but it's mostly character depth related.

Route A spoilers.
I feel like I hardly got to know Adam and Eve. A2 appeared for a crazy short time. What the hell is that about? Should I have had a strong emotional reaction from the ending of route A? I can't help but wonder if the nuances of Japanese don't affect me as much emotionally as if I were playing with English text and/or audio. Hmm. I felt far closer to the cast of NieR (original), and felt that they had more depth and more relatable motives.

Inuhanyou

Beat the game for the first time. It's definitely good, but I'm not loving it yet as much as I had expected. That could obviously change over the course of the next routes, but it's mostly character depth related.

Route A spoilers.
I feel like I hardly got to know Adam and Eve. A2 appeared for a crazy short time. What the hell is that about? Should I have had a strong emotional reaction from the ending of route A? I can't help but wonder if the nuances of Japanese don't affect me as much emotionally as if I were playing with English text and/or audio. Hmm. I felt far closer to the cast of NieR (original), and felt that they had more depth and more relatable motives.

I actually like the english dub extremely, its on par with the original, you should probably try that for your second run if you do one.

And yeah, route A is
the tutorial

Hektor

yeah that's what I mean. I see a slow time bubble and a grappling hook/devil bringer in there. I wasn't sure how much of that was in the final game.

There are like 15 or so of those abilities in the game, altho the three you see in the gif are probably the most combo-able ones.

Aizo

Banned
I actually like the english dub extremely, its on par with the original, you should probably try that for your second run if you do one.

And yeah, route A is
the tutorial
Hmm. I'll check it out.
I just started route B and
I was wondering if it'll be the whole game from the beginning? I just finished that first boss again. I don't know what you can really say without spoiling anything, but is it shorter than the first run? I don't want to do the factory near the end again. Haha.

Moaradin

Started watching some Drakengard 3 videos to prepare for this game. Only early on but holy shit this game has the weirdest tone. Completely different from the dour tone of Drakengard 1 so far. Pretty entertaining lol. No idea how this even ties into the first game. The voice acting is really good as well.

Started watching some Drakengard 3 videos to prepare for this game. Only early on but holy shit this game has the weirdest tone. Completely different from the dour tone of Drakengard 1 so far. Pretty entertaining so far. No idea how this even ties into the first game.

If you watch the Clemps playlist in the OP it should give you a good primer, and help you spot references & such in the final game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is there a consensus on how long it is more or less, for someone that isnt exactly a 100% completionist but does tackle all sidequests in games usually?

Top Bottom