• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Jiraiza

I seriously can't believe they put a debug mode into a console game...

It's pretty limited. You get a few bits to play with and spawning functionality, which is limited to 20 enemies at a time, and that's it. Makes for a good training room, though.

Coda

It's pretty limited. You get a few bits to play with and spawning functionality, which is limited to 20 enemies at a time, and that's it. Makes for a good training room, though.

Pretty sure it's the first Platinum game to have legit training room with enemies, the other ones have the loading training rooms but it's not quite the same.

Coda

So are we expecting another Yoko Taro game in the 60s metacritic or will this fare batter?

I'm expecting the game to sit between the 70-high 80s mark. Personally the game is a 9.5 to me, but I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that I could have never imagined this game was actually real.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So what's the general consensus of the game? Great, Good, bad, disappointing?

I'll say it like this, if your looking for the best Yoko Taro game ever, with actual production values and good combat, this is your game.

If your looking for a pure hack and slash Platinum game, not the best choice. If your looking for a technical masterpiece in terms of graphics for open world RPG's Horizon is also better at that by far.

Coda

Another big thing no one is talking about is the UI and general design of the game. It harkens back to an old era of RPGs, while still feeling modern. It personally gave me many feels of times playing older RPGs like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6. The UI, SFX and general feel of the game make the whole experience very clean and nice to be in. If you're looking for a game that breaks the status quo and has the action of a full fledged Platinum title, this is it.

Inuhanyou

I'm expecting the game to sit between the 70-high 80s mark. Personally the game is a 9.5 to me, but I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that I could have never imagined this game was actually real.

I'd also agree with this. I've been saying it will get 80 at minimum and 80 to 85 is my prediction

vall03

As someone who is not a fan of the DMC action games, would I like this game? Does the game have heavy RPG customization? Or is it really just pure action with some RPG elements?

Inuhanyou

As someone who is not a fan of the DMC action games, would I like this game? Does the game have heavy RPG customization? Or is it really just pure action with some RPG elements?

you can get wrecked pretty easily if you don't have your chips and stats in order, so yeah its def an RPG.

But the action roots are there definitely being from Platinum. I mean its just as fast paced as DMC and Bayonetta and MGSR, although not as complex in regards to techniques and combos and such and not as interested in pure spectacle

vall03

Leans far more into those RPG elements.

you can get wrecked pretty easily if you don't have your chips and stats in order, so yeah its def an RPG.

But the action roots are there definitely being from Platinum. I mean its just as fast paced as DMC and Bayonetta and MGSR, although not as complex in regards to techniques and combos and such.

Aw, thanks for the replies! I guess this is why I've never been a fan of Platinum despite the quality of their games. I've played Vanquish, some Bayonetta, and W101, but just not my type of games. Hearing a lot of buzz from my friends so I got curious.

Inuhanyou

Aw, thanks for the replies! I guess this is why I've never been a fan of Platinum despite the quality of their games. I've played Vanquish, some Bayonetta, and W101, but just not my type of games. Hearing a lot of buzz from my friends so I got curious.

If your still interested, i'd really recommend giving it a try

In what context? Are they standard Platinum style bosses? I'm content with that.

Nier had really good bullet hell boss battles.

The best boss battle in nier:A is the E3 boss battle and another boss which uses lots of bullet hell mechanics. But the majority of them are just super dull from a gameplay point , dodge/hit repeat.
They don't really feel like battles, more like hp sponges with dialogue in the background.

Edit: But yea if you've never played a platnium game before there's likely to be "o shit this is cool moments", but like they are just reused ideas which are done way better in their other games.

The best boss battle in nier:A is the E3 boss battle and another boss which uses lots of bullet hell mechanics. But the majority of them are just super dull from a gameplay point , dodge/hit repeat.
They don't really feel like battles, more like hp sponges with dialogue in the background.

as much as i like automata, i have to agree with that!

Also, is there anyway to change
boss level or my level in debug mode against boss? I tried but didn't find the option... it's kinda dull to replay against them when you can almost one shot them, like the amusement park, she kept getting stunned by S9 instantly, even with stunned ennemies turned off

Greddleok

Edit: But yea if you've never played a platnium game before there's likely to be "o shit this is cool moments", but like they are just reused ideas which are done way better in their other games.

Ah ok. The bullet hell stuff looks cool, reminds me a lot of Furi. How about the normal enemies? Do they stack up to normal platinum game stuff?

I'm generally content with "average" bosses that platinum does. Like I really enjoyed transformers devestation, and that never reached the heights of Bayo1/2, MGRR or W101. I'm sure I'll still love NieR, but hearing the complaints about the bosses has made me worry.

Ah ok. The bullet hell stuff looks cool, reminds me a lot of Furi. How about the normal enemies? Do they stack up to normal platinum game stuff?

I'm generally content with "average" bosses that platinum does. Like I really enjoyed transformers devestation, and that never reached the heights of Bayo1/2, MGRR or W101. I'm sure I'll still love NieR, but hearing the complaints about the bosses has made me worry.
Yea I love furi and the two best bosses battles are just furi boss battles with some twists!

The normal enemy's are fine, lots of bullet hell and Melee attacks, tons of variety. But it's still a game about crowd control, so don't go in expecting epic 1v2 fights with "rival enemies".

Inuhanyou

What about weapons? Is there an actual difference between how they're play, or is it mostly just animations?

there are several types of weapons, they play differently. There are also other gameplay variations depending on other factors that would be considered spoilers

What about weapons? Is there an actual difference between how they're play, or is it mostly just animations?
There is but there are certain combinations that are just way more efficient than others.
Main problem is spear+great sword and I always wanted a light sword on heavy for its mobility.

Is there any sort of risk/reward system? I get that I should curb my expectations for platinum games depth but I'm afraid my tendency to do everything in an RPG will over level me and make hard mode trivial.

Stalk

Is there any sort of risk/reward system? I get that I should curb my expectations for platinum games depth but I'm afraid my tendency to do everything in an RPG will over level me and make hard mode trivial.

There's taunts. Taunt enemy and it'll deal more damage but in reverse take a ton of damage.

Has resulted in me dying a good few times to unexpected stampedes :x

Inuhanyou

you can easily get one hit KO'd in hard mode by a high level enemy even stacking defensive chips. I don't think you need to worry.

Alright alright, I'll take your words for it then. Will try to get my hands on MGR during some gaming lull if possible. I did enjoy the gimmick of Automata's demo boss at the end though
(beating it with his own arm was great, lmao)

Funny enough I just replayed MGR to get my platinum fix while waiting for PC Automata and QTEs definitely add to the game rather than take away. They're also smartly used to signify phase changes in boss battles and the Zandatsu system is basically a really well integrated QTE system throughout the game.

There's taunts. Taunt enemy and it'll deal more damage but in reverse take a ton of damage.

Has resulted in me dying a good few times to unexpected stampedes :x

YES, taunts were the one thing I missed in MGR. Hopefully a DMC4 tier taunt gif can be made.

you can easily get one hit KO'd in hard mode by a high level enemy even stacking defensive chips. I don't think you need to worry.

Nice, though I'd probably min max things and try to dodge and parry everything instead. Hopefully everything is telegraphed and there's nothing particularly unfair.

Btw is it still schrodinger's release date on the steam version or is the 10th still our best guess?

Hektor

The game got a Dark Souls like system where you lose a bunch of XP and all equippped upgrade chips if you die and can't recover your "corpse" before dying a second time.

And there we go.

nier.jpg

raven777

Xhy3WWr.png

It's obviously not going to last but at least it's cool to have a moment like this.

Nier team seems to be really happy with this as well right now.

GrayChild

Taura seems happy, even if he knows it's not going to last.

I guess it will drop to mid 80s later. Still, I think this temporary score may have a positive effect on the game's preorders especially how there are only 5 days until the US release date.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
From Yoko's Twitter feed sounds like the initial shipment has sold through completely in Japan, which is great news as its as solid an "exceeded expectations" as it gets!

An average Platinum boss is still better than most industry's bosses lol
But they aren't anywhere near platnium average. They are good nier fights , but majority are terrible action game fights.

It never really bothered me , I played nier so I could understand the story of a platnium game....then I was like "dam I hope platnium don't fuck this up", and they didn't.
The bosses mechanically aren't as good as Nier, but they still have the music/story telling aspect which I loved about nier.

ebil

Got all the main endings. What an incredible game, everything is going to feel dull for a while in comparison. It's not very often that a game resonates with me like this one did.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
i just finished B. whoa, I did not expect... this. what is this game.

raven777

From Yoko's Twitter feed sounds like the initial shipment has sold through completely in Japan, which is great news as its as solid an "exceeded expectations" as it gets!

yea it's great. The real test will be how it does on the western market.

Gbraga

God, I hate when my trophy screenshots are just a black screen, hahaha.

I remember getting every weapon in FFXV before moving on to the linear portion of the game, thinking about how cool it would be to get the "collect every Royal Arm" trophy with a story moment, when I got the last one, but the trophy screenshot was the loading screen right after the cutscene.

Top Bottom