• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Why so low??? Or does it rank from 1 to 3 stars and they broke the scale?

Amazon reviews are not the best place to go for objectivity,often they're skewed by silly things like the NIN64 'fiasco' or experience of the game pre patch and are never updated after fixes are implemented.

Coda

these speed star sidequests are cancer, do i need to do these for a weapon? because fuck this if not

They're not that bad when you just set a customize a Chip Type setup using all moving speed and evade upgrades. I did that quest later on too and it only took me a couple tries on each one.

Squishy3

They're not that bad when you just set a customize a Chip Type setup using all moving speed and evade upgrades. I did that quest later on too and it only took me a couple tries on each one.
ok but do i actually need to do it for a weapon because i don't care if i don't need to for a weapon

Zolbrod

Also when I was playing as 2B I saw some side quest icons in the basement of the factory but I didn't have access to it. Are those exclusive for when I have chapter select or something?

Pretty sure those are for transfer terminals.
Unactivated transfer terminals and unactivated subquests show up as the same symbol on the map.

Coda

any non spoiler impressions from those who beat it? I might pick this up after zelda

No question will be in my top 3 this year, just hard to say with other games coming out. This year really is the year of dreams for video games IMO. This past fall I kept turning on my PS4 with not much to play in terms of what my tastes in games are. I'd chill on here a lot and get myself hype for the Spring which is here now and it's been amazing so far; at least if you're really into Japanese games. Between Nioh, this, Persona 5, Zelda, not to speak of further out games like Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite and Tekken 7 my wallet has been on tilt lately.

any non spoiler impressions from those who beat it? I might pick this up after zelda

Keep in mind that the following comes from someone only halfway through Route B of the game. (28 hours of playtime)

Thus far, to me, NieR: Automata is a game of mountains and rivers.

Whenever the game has a flaw, it tends to be greatly overshadowed by something else it does so right, and whenever the game peaks, it does so magnificently & memorably - whether it's the music, story delivery, boss fights, combat, etc.

Whatever is lacking in pure graphical fidelity is made up for in fluidity, style & flare.
Whatever is lacking in side-quest variety is made up for with world building & story.
Whatever is lacking in depth of combat is made up for in variety & customization.
Whatever is lacking elsewhere is made up for with the gorgeous soundtrack.

In short, it's a very very good game.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This is a pure return to form for both YT after D3, and Platinum after their licensed games and Scalebound....both parties had a lot to gain from the success and this game turning out good and they both surpassed expectations

How long is the first play through?
Can someone explain the routes or paths?
Is each new play through very different?

I'm not sure what to expect?

Coda

The Debug Room
is awesome btw, so much fun to play around and just practice different playstyles in the combat.

jonjonaug

Around 15-25 hours to get to the end of Route A depending on how much side content you do.
After you clear a route you'll be asked to save. Load the save and you'll start on the next route. There are no choices putting you onto different routes.
3. (This one's kind of big so you might not want to click this)
Route B is a replay of Route A but from 9S's perspective instead of 2B's, with changed up gameplay, new cutscenes, and some different story quests at certain points. Route C/D starts from the end of A/B and is the second half of the game.

• I did most of the quests available to me at the time and clocked in at around 24 Hours for the first playthrough, though the main story for Route A could be completed in less.
  • Once you complete one Route, you begin the next after loading the same file. New Routes can either be new perspectives on the same story, or entirely new events never seen before, always with new mechanics & content.
  • See above - in short, yes.

Inuhanyou

Is there some place that clearly labels all combos and such?

I would assume something like that would not be prioritized. You can string stuff together but combos are not something big for this game, as in its not the focus of the title like MSGR or Bayonetta or DMC.

In the OG nier you didn't have combos just attacks

jonjonaug

Yo wtf I just started Route C.

I have to
choose to support A2 or 9S? So I'm choosing the ending already?

Answer:
It doesn't matter what you choose. A2 and 9S both have their own story segments. You can alternate or do all one or all the other first up until you've done all of the events for both and the two storylines converge.

I would assume something like that would not be prioritized. You can string stuff together but combos are not something big for this game, as in its not the focus of the title like MSGR or Bayonetta.

In the OG nier you didn't have combos just attacks
True but itd be better to plan the attacks instead of flying around the Battlefield like a madman.
I mean its fun and everything but nier didnt have you catapulted to places with different attacks. This kinda screws up your fights with bullet hell type enemies in this game

True but itd be better to plan the attacks instead of flying around the Battlefield like a madman.
I mean its fun and everything but nier didnt have you catapulted to places with different attacks. This kinda screws up your fights with bullet hell type enemies in this game
There are combo videos on youtube, but that comes with the danger of spoilerific thumbnails and titles popping up in the related videos section.

Is there some place that clearly labels all combos and such?

No place in-game but combos for the most part consistent of just a light attack string or a heavy attack string. On the ground you can end a light attack string early by using strong attacks but it's not a unique finisher dependent on how far into the string you are like in Metal Gear Rising or something. It changes based off of the weapons you have equipped.

There are unique individual moves though:
-Hold Light Attack for a followup to your current move in the string
-Hold Strong Attack
-Jump then Strong Attack immediately for a launcher
-Hold Dodge and hit Light Attack to throw your primary
-In the air hold dodge and hit Strong Attack to immediately do a drop attack
-Dodge before being hit and you can follow up with a weapon or shoot
-Not an attack but you can also press Shoot+Jump to have your pod throw you

And shoot and pod programs as well which throw in some more variety. Might be missing a few other commands but that's all I remember offhand. You can also swap between your two loadouts on the fly like in DMC3 and Bayonetta.

Exentryk

Yeah, and there are advanced skills like cancelling moves at the right time to chain into other moves. Stuff like this can let you do launchers in air, which are normally only possible from the ground. Lots of depth here for those that want to explore it.

But above everything else, it's the smoothness and fluidity of it all. Like I haven't played an action RPG that has better movement and controls than this game. The evade dash is God tier, and everything just blends together so well.
This is my first ever game from Platinum Games, but I'm starting to see why they have the reputation of being called the Gods of gameplay.

I spoiled myself, I listened to one song from the ost which was strange village..... OH MY GOD!!!! My hype is overload, even if the game were to suck this ost just feels nier as hell i love it.

Exentryk

I spoiled myself, I listened to one song

KE1ZyBN.gif

OST gonna be glorious!

Inuhanyou

I spoiled myself, I listened to one song from the ost which was strange village..... OH MY GOD!!!! My hype is overload, even if the game were to suck this ost just feels nier as hell i love it.

Lol you dont have to worry about the game sucking IMO.

This is my first ever game from Platinum Games, but I'm starting to see why they have the reputation of being called the Gods of gameplay.

Really??

Exentryk

Yeah. I don't play action games, and that seems to be PG's portfolio mostly. But now that they are coming towards RPGs, I can enjoy their gameplay talents. Hope they do more RPGs, because I can really connect with their design philosophies.

That is one of my favorite tracks in the game. I left the game idling a few times just so I could listen to it.

It's my first P* game too, and they really did a fantastic job bringing Taro's madness to life.

I have Revengeance laying around, but I haven't even opened it. I'll be rectifying that soon, once I'm ready to move on from Nier but before Persona 5 drops.

Coda

Yeah. I don't play action games, and that seems to be PG's portfolio mostly. But now that they are coming towards RPGs, I can enjoy their gameplay talents. Hope they do more RPGs, because I can really connect with their design philosophies.

Their combat is pretty much unrivaled in the industry. The amount of speed, weapon change and options is remarkable.

Also being able to cancel any attack at the drop of a dime coupled with moments of slo-motion are a joy to play as they are to watch.
Case in point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Jst0tpyIY

Inuhanyou

Never played DMC either? Man...i dont get it. this game is so action oriented in their style that i dont think you'd dislike their games actually...except Platinum can't do story to save their lives, which makes their partnership with Yoko Taro even more special. DMC3 has a good story for an action gameplay oriented title but it obviously doesnt touch an actual story oriented game

Squire

Banned

They're making that Granblue Fantasy game on PS4.

Exentryk

Their combat is pretty much unrivaled in the industry. The amount of speed, weapon change and options is remarkable.

Also being able to cancel any attack at the drop of a dime coupled with moments of slo-motion are a joy to play as they are to watch.

Cannot wait!!!

Never played DMC either? Man...i dont get it. this game is so action oriented in their style that i dont think you'd dislike their games actually...except Platinum can't do story to save their lives, which makes their partnership with Yoko Taro even more special. DMC3 has a good story for an action gameplay oriented title but it obviously doesnt touch an actual story oriented game

Never played DMC, but honestly haven't put much research into it either. I'm guessing it doesn't have the usual RPG structure of towns, NPCs, shops, weapon upgrades, inns, story cutscenes, etc? Perhaps I'll have to look into these action games a little more after Automata, lol.

They're making that Granblue Fantasy game on PS4.

YES! Quite hyped for that one! I'm hoping they don't make it some MMO crap though. If it's a single player ARPG, it'll be amazing!

This is the first time I've really been on gaming side in years, so are reviews threads usually posted right away, or do they usually wait for a few of the major publications to drop?

Exentryk

Damn that IGN JP score, lol. Their cons are something that I'd probably agree with though (I haven't played the full game, but I am not a fan of bullet hell aspects). First one is too much bullet hell (?), and 2nd one reads like not enough save points (?). (I can't understand the 3rd one via google translate.)

- "Shooting" pollution throughout the film
- Troublesome parts such as movement trouble and retry specifications

Pros:
- The most sophisticated action
- A vague story backed up by a strong world view
- It seemed to be "NieR" justified

The Polish reviewer only played through one ending, so I don't think that review is worth reading.

LotusHD

Banned
This is the first time I've really been on gaming side in years, so are reviews threads usually posted right away, or do they usually wait for a few of the major publications to drop?

They usually come before the OT thread. But Nier's weird in that the Japanese version came out first, but also has complete English options, meaning there was no reason to delay creating the OT. So we're all just in this sort of limbo state, just waiting for the big publications to catch up.

Coda

Damn that IGN JP score, lol. Their cons are something that I'd probably agree with though. First one is too much bullet hell (?), and 2nd one reads like not enough save points (?). (I can't understand the 3rd one via google translate.)

Pros:

The Polish reviewer only played through one ending, so I don't think that review is worth reading.

I didn't feel like the shooting sections were overplayed and they never last too long, but I also like shmups so this game basically combines everything I love and my three favorite genres: RPGs, fluid action games and shmups. So it was a win win for me.

They're usually posted when the embargo drops - thing is, with this, we don't know since they haven't been forthcoming with when the western review embargo will end.

We just have to wait for places like IGN, Gamespot, Easy Allies, etc to post reviews, or for Meta Critic to accept one of the current reviews as its 4th and calculate a score.

Damn that IGN JP score, lol. Their cons are something that I'd probably agree with though.

Yeah, it seems like they're simply not a fan of the bullet hell segments (which I didn't know how I felt about, but ended up not minding at all), as well as the save placements and how boring bosses are compared to previous Platinum games.

Considering the first and last cons are by design, and the second is only for the first level, I really don't see a reason to take this review too seriously.

Inuhanyou

Never played DMC, but honestly haven't put much research into it either. I'm guessing it doesn't have the usual RPG structure of towns, NPCs, shops, weapon upgrades, inns, story cutscenes, etc? Perhaps I'll have to look into these action games a little more after Automata, lol.

Yah it has story cutscenes, shops and upgrades..no towns or NPC's though, its a straight forward action game meaning you go from area to area fighting enemies and the plot circles around that.

I'd recommend getting the DMC HD collection if you have a PS3

Inuhanyou

Damn that IGN JP score, lol. Their cons are something that I'd probably agree with though (I haven't played the full game, but I am not a fan of bullet hell aspects). First one is too much bullet hell (?), and 2nd one reads like not enough save points (?). (I can't understand the 3rd one via google translate.)

Lol. I'm pretty sure IGN US is gonna give this game a much higher score, especially after giving Tales an 8.8.

"Vague narrative"? Seems like it plays out pretty cleanly from my end. Also yeah, that polish review gives me a bit of trepidation about how far reviewers are actually going to play to get the full narrative

Top Bottom