• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

thejpfin

Second time fighting the first boss, I did it!
It didn't do spinning chainsaw attack insta kill move this time, so it was quite easy. Maybe the game lowered boss battle difficulty for second fight, dunno.

Wondering if I should go with English dub or turn Japanese dub/text on. Both are really good.

It didn't do spinning chainsaw attack insta kill move this time, so it was quite easy. Maybe the game lowered boss battle difficulty for second fight, dunno.

Wondering if I should go with English dub or turn Japanese dub/text on. Both are really good.

If you played the prior NieR and enjoyed that dub, I typically recommend folks stick to the dub. It's one of the best dubs in a long time in gaming.

nOoblet16

So I just finished route B, I was level 33 at the end...had zero trouble throughout route B as everything was fair game and similar to how enemies were leveled against me when I was on route A...i.e. most would be around my level but the major enemies would be anything from 5-8 level above me.

Now I start route C and wut? Why am I fighting enemies that are level 50 and then the next being a level 60? How am I suppose to beat at my level?

nOoblet16

I tried Japanese for the first level but reverted to English asap and it's good as well. The game has a LOT of dialogue mid ganeplay...like A LOT ! I simply cannot see why anyone would want to play this game in Japanese as reading subs mean you cannot follow up on the action on screen...So either your gameplay is affected or you miss out on the dialogues if you pay attention to the action.

Besides dubs these days aren't really problematic as most of them are done with proper translations and professional voice actors. These days if there's ever an issue with a dub voice over then it's probably cause the original voice had a similar direction as the dub is based off that usually...there are exceptions ofcourse.

Philippo

Finished the
theme park
This game is raising the bar with each passing hour.
The area was so charming, the "npcs" adorable and god fucking dammit that
Singer
boss has to be in my Top 3 Best Boss Battles of All Time. Seriously, what a show of different mechanics and creativity (both visual and mechanical), the twist in the second phase had me screaming out loud.
The part after that was too much cute, and its so interesting, a
machines village led by philosophers-inspired names robots
, just wow.

How far am i into Route A? Now that i got my gist with the combat and more side quests are popping up, i could keep playing for hours straight.

Also, two questions:
-how does chip fusion works?
-where can i find animal skin? Boars and deers are dropping only meat for me.

Can someone please help me out here. I think the game has bugged out.

https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/J6M3a1eiu.png

I loaded the game again and it's still stuck. I even killed all machines around the building in my fist try, but it still didn't work.

I had this problem, but I keep hearing the solution is just clear it all out. There's only one solution then, see all those black dots? Destroy them all. (This may or maynot actually work) Could just reload and try again.

nOoblet16

Finished the
theme park
This game is raising the bar with each passing hour.
The area was so charming, the "npcs" adorable and god fucking dammit that
Singer
boss has to be in my Top 3 Best Boss Battles of All Time. Seriously, what a show of different mechanics and creativity (both visual and mechanical), the twist in the second phase had me screaming out loud.
The part after that was too much cute, and its so interesting, a
machines village led by philosophers-inspired names robots
, just wow.

How far am i into Route A? Now that i got my gist with the combat and more side quests are popping up, i could keep playing for hours straight.

Also, two questions:
-how does chip fusion works?
-where can i find animal skin? Boars and deers are dropping only meat for me.
You are pretty early on.

Ugh, I'm going to bed. I think I can beat the second boss, even on hard. But I just need to not ruin every good run by being stingy with my healing items. I got it down to half health before being one-shot by an attack because I hadn't healed up to full. I've learned my lesson now and will probably get it on my next session whenever that is. I really hope there's a save point after the second boss. Is it always this long between save points?

nOoblet16

Started playing today and it's a lot of fun so far. Is it normal that there are a lot of framedrops though? I'm playing on a normal ps4 and the framerate in the first open world area is pretty bad sometimes. I tought this was supposed to be 60fps.

It's typical Platinum games "60fps", on pro it hits that target a lot more often but it drops there too especially in the first area.

Exentryk

Ugh, I'm going to bed. I think I can beat the second boss, even on hard. But I just need to not ruin every good run by being stingy with my healing items. I got it down to half health before being one-shot by an attack because I hadn't healed up to full. I've learned my lesson now and will probably get it on my next session whenever that is. I really hope there's a save point after the second boss. Is it always this long between save points?

I've read this is only in the beginning, and after that the save points are more frequent, and bosses even have checkpoints.

I had this problem, but I keep hearing the solution is just clear it all out. There's only one solution then, see all those black dots? Destroy them all. (This may or maynot actually work) Could just reload and try again.
Yeah, I went out and killed a few other machines way to the side of building and it seems like that did the trick.

Ourobolus

Banned
Since Persona comes out in a few weeks I don't want to bite on Horizon, so I figured I'd play through this again on Hard Mode.

And...whew. Yeah, I put it on Normal for the intro. One shots by the saw blades when they do that sweep and having to restart, no thank you. Bumped it up after though.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone please help me out here. I think the game has bugged out.

https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/J6M3a1eiu.png

I loaded the game again and it's still stuck. I even killed all machines around the building in my fist try, but it still didn't work.

EDIT: And it just suddenly worked. Weird.

Yeah that was pretty annoying. If the game considers you in combat you can't talk to anyone. I think it actually even counts enemies directly below you. I remember having to clear a pretty wide radius for one of the side quests later on every time.
The machine who you had to hack into each time to read his thoughts

How do you guys set up your light/heavy weapons?

I have 2 weapons, both short swords. What should I be looking at when assigning one to light and one to heavy? Does it make a difference?

I don't understand the underlying mechanics at all.

Are you at the start at the game? I am too, and I think it works this way. At the start you will have one short sword and one heavy sword. The way it works is that in each weapon stance you will assign one of the weapons to light attack and the other to heavy attack. So at the start you can have two stances: 1. short sword for light attack plus heavy sword for heavy attack OR 2. heavy sword for light attack and short sword for heavy attack. You should experiment a bit before you find what fits you. I personally like setup 1 for normal enemies where I don't want to be too slow, and setup 2 for bosses where I want to hit them hard

I've read this is only in the beginning, and after that the save points are more frequent, and bosses even have checkpoints.

Ok that's good to hear. If it stayed like this throughout the game, it would drive me insane

Squire

Banned
Does anyone know the song (route C)
that plays when Pascal is talking to the kids? Before the village is attacked?

It actually plays when you finish certain side quests, too. It's... so beautiful.

Weiss

Banned
Guys what the fuck just happened with that fight in the tower where
A2 is in her mind and there's all these floating little girls what the fuck

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Started playing today and it's a lot of fun so far. Is it normal that there are a lot of framedrops though? I'm playing on a normal ps4 and the framerate in the first open world area is pretty bad sometimes. I tought this was supposed to be 60fps.

it is 60fps? Its better than most platinum games on console in terms of FPS according to DF. Only in a particular area does it chug as assets stream in

Not one crash for me and I got all main endings.

Damn, the game crashed again. Lucky i saved 10 minutes ago.

Anybody else got some crashes? (getting kicked into the home menu / game closed)

Keep getting crashes at
Pascal's Village
at the same exact area whenever I go down a ladder. Haven't really played the game since because it annoyed me, and it makes me paranoid having it in the back of my mind that I have to manually save constantly.

Might try it without Boost mode. Are you playing Nier on PS4 or Pro with or without Boost Mode?

Alcahest

Keep getting crashes at
Pascal's Village
at the same exact area whenever I go down a ladder. Haven't really played the game since because it annoyed me, and it makes me paranoid having it in the back of my mind that I have to manually save constantly.

Might try it without Boost mode. Are you playing Nier on PS4 or Pro with or without Boost Mode?
Boost mode is inactive for this game, it's natively patched for Pro.

VpomRurd

Keep getting crashes at
Pascal's Village

Nier has a Pro patch so boost mode doesn't have an effect on it.

gow3isben

Hmm. On the lower edge of 89 now about to go down to 88. Seeing as many reviews are left that is where it will likely end up. Can't wait to play it after Mass Effect.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Hard difficulty is no joke.

It's kind of all over the place unfortunately. The beginning is brutal but it eases up a little with the right plug in chips later on and then it steps up again later, although you have better tools at that point. I will say that if you want to play on hard you need to really pay attention to all the skills you have and the different plug in chips available to get by.

However, I think difficulty wise the game struggles to find the perfect balance unfortunately. That said I still loved every minute of the combat, there's actually so many different options and so much depth there. It's just normal doesn't require you to use it and hard isn't really balanced in a satisfying way

Weiss

Banned
So I got Ending E.

Man

I don't even know what to say. NieR itself didn't burn me out this much. I'll try to compose my thoughts about it tomorrow or something but for anyone who's concerned I promise you, it's more NieR than NieR could ever fucking dream of being.

Yoko Taro is a fucking lunatic and may he live forever.

nikos

In regards to this, this was my first choice.

and correct you'll never see Pascal ever again. I think canon logically is probably hacking him. Leading to the shop... Which is important but also the revelation.

Thank you for clarifying!

I'm now at the very end of my third playthrough and
I can't decide whether to kill A2 or 9S. Without spoiling, does choosing one show the true ending? I love 9S, but also love tragic endings.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you for clarifying!

I'm now at the very end of my third playthrough and
I can't decide whether to kill 2B or 9S. Without spoiling, does choosing one show the true ending? I love 9S, but also love tragic endings.

you mean A2 or 9S? You'll need to go back and do both if you want ending E (you do) anyway. Do one and then you'll get the chance to do the other leading to the final ending

Labolas

Well, the game just froze when I fought the ball goliath boss for second time.
Did anyone else have this problem?

How do I stop listening to Weight of the World??

Also I must have been lucky, my playthrough was 40 hours without a single freeze/crash/bug

anddo0

Where did all my side quests go?

After completing Flooded City my quests disappeared. I had bunch completed but I didn't turn them in.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Endgame spoilers nothing story wise but just a gimmick thing.
LOL just discovered the trophy vendor. God love this game, wish Yakuza 0 had a trophy vendor xD. I'll still try to get some of these legit just because I want to do some of the stuff anyway but I'll probably skip out on grinding my berserk mode kill.

Top Bottom