• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

tjlee2

Neo Member
Combo Video By Donguri

To avoid all spoilers outside of demo, stop at about 3:32 mark, although stuff after it appears to still be limited to what was shown in trailers. I also didn't see any weapons or spells that were new in relation to what has been shown officially.

Edit: He fights one standard enemy in what I believe is the first open area of the game and there is one move that I do not recognize near the 3:15 mark.

Combo Video By Donguri

To avoid all spoilers outside of demo, stop at about 3:32 mark, although stuff after it appears to still be limited to what was shown in trailers. I also didn't see any weapons or spells that were new in relation to what has been shown officially.

okay, half of the move he use i never saw them while playing... and i tried a lot of combination (played a lot DMC and platinum games so it's usually the same)

Makikou

Combo Video By Donguri

Edit: He fights one standard enemy in what I believe is the first open area of the game and there is one move that I do not recognize near the 3:15 mark.
Thats just sick. I feel so inadequate now.

6 hours in, and I... don't think this is a very good game...

Combat is initially fun, but way too limited. It doesn't even feel like an action RPG, it feels like a shallow, depth lacking hack and slash. A poor imitation of Platinum Games better works.

Enemies are not varied enough. Most of them are really similar, visually and mechanically.

World traversal is a bit of a drag, world itself is overall empty and soulless. I get why, but then why is this an open world game in the first place?

Performance isn't good, which is weird since the game doesn't look taxing at all.

Story is very spare, at least in the first playthrough.

Side quests, while some of them contains good writing, are all backtracking based fetch quests.

Music is phenomenal.

Everyone seems to love it her so I hope it gets better for me, but replaying the portion I played for B ending is already a huge turn off.

Spoiler regarding the amount of endings:
UpJR2eX.png
That bottom save, lol.

JayEH

Combo Video By Donguri

this guy always makes me feel like trash haha.

usp84

So i watching a stream(well more listening than watching) and the streamer was in a destroyed city(it must have been a the beginning of the game) and the music on the background was really good and relaxing so i was wondering if anyone has a link with that music?

Heres is a random video from the location https://youtu.be/4MU0yMgu3bQ?t=3769

tjlee2

Neo Member
Primary take-away from the video for me is that there is a way to use ground moves in the air after an evade, such as the 0:47 mark. I have been able to reproduce most things I've seen but that one must have been discovered within this week.

Edit: Condition appears to be that when you evade then weapon set swap in the air, for a moment you are considered to be on the ground, so if you weapon swap and immediately do a heavy, the heavy will be the ground version. I haven't tested it, but that's the similarity between all instances: Evade > weapon swap > immediately heavy attack.

okay, half of the move he use i never saw them while playing... and i tried a lot of combination (played a lot DMC and platinum games so it's usually the same)
triangle immediately after jump is launcher, after a delays it's a Down slash.

Square*n then triangle is a different string depending on your weapon sets.

Hold square/triangle to do a finisher for a string.

Fire+ jump , launches you from your pod.

Dash+triangle in air is a special downslash.
Dash+square is a special move , which launches your weapon as a projectile.

I think that's all the inputs. Sorry if I missed anything, mobile posting is hard.

tjlee2

Neo Member

I think that's all the inputs. Sorry if I missed anything, mobile posting is hard.

You can also do a launcher in the air (not just the jump > triangle standard), but you need a target. Certain attack cancels and moves are only available when there is a target in range.

Edit: An example is 0:45.

thanks but i already knew these moves! but here he propell the ennemy in the air while still on the ground, any idea how to perform it?

You can also do a launcher in the air (not just the jump > triangle standard), but you need a target. Certain attack cancels and moves are only available when there is a target in range.
You can only do launcher in the air after perfect evade-launcher, then jump+triangle . Unless you've found some new move ?
edit: Come to my PC, to explain better.
After a perfect evade, if you do a perfect launcher. Your character doesn't switch to "aerial stance", so you can do the ground moves such as the launcher.

In aerial stance you can do two jumps and a dodge, before having to give in to gravity.
So you can jump do a downslash, jump cancel, downslash, dash cancel. With the light sword this combo will let you move around the map much easier. ( If this is the purpose you can substitute the first down slash for a launcher)

tjlee2

Neo Member
Explained in edit.

The condition is probably the same as doing the ground move in the air. Weapon swap causes character to enter "grounded" state for a period of time, with which you can reproduce uppercut since the game recognizes you as barely off the "ground".

There are about 8-10 instances in the video, all meeting the above conditions. I didn't make the connection that the air uppercut fell under the same category until I saw ground moves in the air though.

Very early on but this OST is phenomenal. I'm supposed to be finding a rebel camp or summat but i'm just running around the first area exploring to this track.

I'm a little concerned about the new patch. It kept failing to download/install. Had to retry a bunch of times to get it to work. Hopefully it doesn't break anything.

The condition is probably the same as doing the ground move in the air. Weapon swap causes character to enter "grounded" state for a period of time, with which you can reproduce uppercut since the game recognizes you as barely off the "ground".

There are about 8-10 instances in the video, all meeting the above conditions. I didn't make the connection that the air uppercut fell under the same category until I saw ground moves in the air though.

Right two short videos. Since simply saying you are wrong, i am right, doesn't tend to lead to the best reactions. But theres been enough false info in this thread.

1) No weapon switch. Just perfect evade-perfect launcher- do w/e you like here - launcher
https://youtu.be/k_bXgy70l3k

2) The only other way to launcher in mid air, is if you fall out the sky, then jump+heavy.
In the vid, the first fall, i just fall then triangle. Second fall, is jump+heavy.
https://youtu.be/yeT1No_X7z8

If you dont know how something is being done, please ask though.
donguri has incredible bloody hands to do his DMC videos, but the stuff he shows off in nier is actually really easy to input!
The hardest part is figuring out the combos in the first place.

edit: Jiraiza here also understands alot of the depth behind 2Bs toolkit, so ask them aswell, when there not busy blazin through the game.

Don't know if this has been pointed out yet, but to get Beast Hide (An Upgrade Item) instead of Moose Meat (A Sellable) you need to kill the animal with bullets/beams only.

If you use physical/cutting weapons, you get meat instead.

LProtag

I caved in and bought it off the HK store because I kept waffling between waiting for the PC version or getting the PS4 version.

Figured I'd just play it this weekend before Horizon and the Switch next week.

I first get into the open world and the first thing I do is attack the wild and find out they hit like a truck.
Though I gotta say I'm enjoying the hell out of this so far.

jonjonaug

Question regarding the "Data Analysis Freak" sidequest: I got the data for 21O in the factory and transmitted it to her by leaving the factory, but the quest didn't update in my log and I didn't get any rewards that she claimed I would be getting. Did this glitch out or is there something else I'm supposed to do?

TissueBox

6 hours in, and I... don't think this is a very good game...

Combat is initially fun, but way too limited. It doesn't even feel like an action RPG, it feels like a shallow, depth lacking hack and slash. A poor imitation of Platinum Games better works.

Enemies are not varied enough. Most of them are really similar, visually and mechanically.

World traversal is a bit of a drag, world itself is overall empty and soulless. I get why, but then why is this an open world game in the first place?

Performance isn't good, which is weird since the game doesn't look taxing at all.

Story is very spare, at least in the first playthrough.

Side quests, while some of them contains good writing, are all backtracking based fetch quests.

Music is phenomenal.

Everyone seems to love it her so I hope it gets better for me, but replaying the portion I played for B ending is already a huge turn off.

I actually agree with most of your points. However, I think the game will in fact be be redeemed by its story and character, predictably. After getting drawn in by the game, once it started to feel a bit stale it was as if it rolled up an extra sleeve. (Deja vu 'ey?)

At the end of the day it might not be as good an open-world RPG as say, Horizon (I know it's not out yet, this is hypothetical) but for fans this will probably transcend the sum of its parts. Once again I think it is a very 'competent' Platinum RPG, but with Taro's touch also a little more -- subtly, at first, but make no mistake. Still pursuing one of the endings myself, so nothing conclusive just yet. Just remember to try at least going through a B playthrough and if it still doesn't work for you after that then it's pro'lly not your cup of tea. But if it is, then you'll find a game that rewards patience.

Philippo

So, if i read this right
the first time you die in he game it restarts from the beginning
and count as a troll ending?
And only the 1st time?
Asking because this way i can warn a friend before he rage quits the game lol

So, if i read this right
the first time you die in he game it restarts from the beginning
and count as a troll ending?
And only the 1st time?
Asking because this way i can warn a friend before he rage quits the game lol
No it's a fuckin shit design decision and a waste of people's time. It happens each time you die before beating the boss.

N° 2048

Good fucking lord the
Amusement Park is one of the most amazing things ever. The music, non hostile enemies, the boss, fireworks.
OMG

No it's a fuckin shit design decision and a waste of people's time. It happens each time you die before beating the boss.

Oooof that's going to hurt when it happens to me.
The souls idea of retrieving bodies from other players and yourself fits so well with the narrative, the way it has been implemented.

Murtrod

I have to restart the game 'cause I died at the big boss battle? What the fuck is this dumb shit!?

Is this some inside joke, or...

I've never played Nier, but am really looking forward to trying this.

Edit: Ahhh, I see it's like the Asylum Demon in DS. That's no problem for me, personally.

Top Bottom