• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
nierautomatasysreqsidl1m.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/12/2017)
Nvidia: 388.71
AMD: 17.12.2
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Benchmarks:
GameGPU (Russian; launch build)
PC Games Hardware (German; launch build)

Tips and tricks:
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.
Run the game in a borderless window: Use the aptly-named Borderless Gaming program. See here for a usage guide.
Note: You can purchase the program on Steam for USD$4 or your regional equivalent if you're feeling charitable.
Run the game in the actual nominated resolution (1): Run the game in a borderless window (see above) rather than fullscreen. (Credit to Grief.exe.)
Run the game in the actual nominated resolution (2), fix cutscene stutter, and a few other things: Use Fix Automata Resolution. (Credit to Kaldaien @ Steam Community via didamangi.) If you'd like to use it in conjunction with ReShade, rename ReShade's dxgi.dll file to ReShade64.dll. (Credit to Robobandit.) Disabling RTSS, if you're using it, is recommended as it may cause issues. (Credit to Kaldaien @ Steam Community via DrDaxxy.)
Note: Using FAR will also allow you to improve GPU performance as well as increase the quality of the bloom light and ambient occlusion. See the relevant sections further down.
Use a less expensive form of anti-aliasing: The ambient occlusion setting also controls some form of post-process anti-aliasing. (Credit to ezodagrom.) Alternatively, if you'd like to set the option to "Off" but still have cheaper anti-aliasing, you can force FXAA/SMAA externally via ReShade or the aptly-named injectSMAA. (Credit to Echoplx.)
Enable SLI support: Using Nvidia Inspector, create a new profile for the game and set "SLI compatibility bits (DX10 + DX11)" to 0x080002F5. (Credit to feel and Kvik.)
Mitigate LOD pop-in (for those playing with both anti-aliasing and ambient occlusion enabled): Disable anti-aliasing (MSAA). Running it and ambient occlusion in tandem results in far more abrupt transitions, and again having ambient occlusion enabled also means some form of post-process anti-aliasing is in effect. (Credit to Durante.)
Use DualShock 4 button prompts: Download this file and follow the instructions. (Credit to Erewego @ PC Gaming Wiki via KainVIIII.)
Significantly improve GPU performance by adjusting global illumination quality: Download/Update Fix Automata Resolution and lower the global illumination quality via the in-game control panel (CTRL-Shift-Backspace). Remember to disable RTSS (if applicable) to ensure best interoperability. (Credit to Kaldaien @ Steam Community via Rayge, Kiru and DrDaxxy.)
Increase bloom lighting resolution: Download/Update Fix Automata Resolution, bring up the in-game control panel (CTRL-Shift-Backspace), and select "Native Bloom res." under "Bloom". Requires a restart of the game to take effect, and remember to disable RTSS (if applicable) to ensure best interoperability. (Credit to Kaladaien @ Steam Community and Durante via la_briola.)
Remove the 60fps cap: Download/Update Fix Automata Resolution, bring up the in-game control panel (CTRL-Shift-Backspace), click "Remove 60fps cap" and input your desired framerate under "Framerate Limiter". Remember to disable RTSS (if applicable) to ensure best interoperability. (Credit to Kaldaien @ Steam Community, Altimor and Francesco149.)
Note: If you're using a 60Hz display, you'll need to override your refresh rate in [install directory]\dxgi.ini.
Increase ambient occlusion quality: Download/Update Fix Automata Resolution, opt into the testing branch after installation by selecting it from the drop-down list and clicking "Migrate", bring up the in-game control panel (CTRL-Shift-Backspace), and select "Native AO res." under "Ambient Occlusion". Remember to disable RTSS (if applicable) to ensure best interoperability. (Credit to Kaldaien @ Steam Community and Durante.)
Enable free-form camera: Load this table into Cheat Engine. (Credit to IDK31 @ Steam Community via TLCO.)
Note: Be sure to close Cheat Engine once you're done as it may trigger a false-positive in VAC-protected games.
This doesn't work with the current version of the game. To roll back to the previous build, see this post.

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:

Screen brightness: Self-explanatory
Resolution: Self-explanatory (note: this mark's Platinum's first release with proper arbitrary resolution support, however cutscenes currently present black bars outside of 1080p)
Screen mode: Full screen; Window
V-sync: Off/On (double-buffer?)
Graphics presets: Low; Medium; High; Custom
Anti-aliasing (MSAA): Off; 2x; 4x; 8x
Texture filter: Off; 2x; 4x; 8x; 16x

Blur: Off/On
Shadows: Low; Medium; High
Effects: Low/High
Ambient occlusion: Off/On (note: also controls some form of post-process anti-aliasing)

Durante

Arbitrary Resolution support seems in!
(or at least I get 2715x1527 listed, which I doubt anyone hardcoded)

gngf123

Arbitrary resolutions were confirmed in the other thread, so that's great.

I'm away from my computer now, but I'll see if I can post performance data later. Eagerly looking at this thread at work in the meantime.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Repost from last thread: I'm going to try 4K no AA on a 1070, AA can be set 2,4,8. Graphics options seem okay in general

Promts auto switch between KB+M and controller as well (steam controller here) pretty impressed so far

Meguro

Banned
Can't get the game to actually run properly fullscreen.
It has black borders left and right at 1080p for some reason?

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
also subbing

i'm wondering if i can get 4k/60fps with a 1070
its nice to dream sometimes

Seems like no. I'm getting 4K30 just fine and unlocked it actually stays above that but 4K60 doesn't look like it. I'll drop the res down a few until I can get locked 60 when I can change it

Shari

Honestly not bothered if its a 60fps cap, even with a 144hz monitor. As long as it runs well, I am happy.

Yes this would be the cherry on top of the cake but I'll be ok if at least I can use the extra GPU power to downsample 4k.

I still vastly prefer having more FPS but considering how bad this port could have been I won't give too much shit about it.

Yo we here. We made it

We were always going to make it, we just didn't know if GhostTrick was going to be among us to see it :D

MUnited83

For you.
Arbitrary resolutions were confirmed in the other thread, so that's great.

I'm away from my computer now, but I'll see if I can post performance data later. Eagerly looking at this thread at work in the meantime.

actually they just confirmed that it would go up to 4k which didn't necessarily mean it supported arbitrary resolution support. Their last two games had 4K support but it was hardcoded, so you couldn't get anything between 1080p and 4K, and you couldn't use DSR. Glad they finally went for full arbitrary resolution support this time.

Melchior

Looking forward to some info. I can't play for like another 12 hours but if anyone is close to my specs I would appreciate it if you post how its runs. i7 2600k 960 4gb. All I'm hoping for is a locked 60fps. Wouldn't mind if its on low settings or whatever

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Still hoping for real-time cutscenes

:/ i expect capped at 60fps in game along with 900p 30fps hardcoded prerendered cutscenes. no point for them not to make PS4 and Pro real time otherwise and...for some reason they feel that its acceptable to have pre-rendered cutscenes blown up to super high resolutions far above 900p

I don't understand why devs do it

21:9 works, however if you go fullscreen, the 21:9 resolution is squished to 16:9. Windowed mode looks like it works correctly.

Though, the fullscreen thing might be a GPU aspect ratio setting.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like a 60fps cap. Even if I drop the res real low I only get 60

Cutscenes seem the same as the PS version. There's actually not as many in the game as you might expect though. It's usually real time

Fujinn

When I select 1080p fullscreen the game changes to 1680x1050. Thats odd.

If i play on windowed the game runs a 1080p just fine.

So, can someone confirm that the game is actually rendering at said arbitrary resolutions? That's an important distinction.

Symphonia and Dark Souls listed arbitrary resolutions under their graphics options, but were still internally rendering at 720p.

CHC

Does it use MSAA? Or a temporal solution?

Especially with these kind of visuals, I love the softness of temporal anti-aliasing, everything looks so silky and clean.

Top Bottom