• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata review thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Fire

The game is absolutely incredible. Everyone I know who played and finished it is now in a slump because games don't even seem to be trying in comparison. It's been a long time since I connected with a game nearly as much.

I love how much you love this game.

I have some criticisms, mainly with , but the [e]nding more than made up with it. I've never cried during end credits before, but the swelling music and
inspirational messages
really did it for me.

J-Skee

I just don't have the time. After I finish Horizon, it's Nioh. After Nioh, it's Nier. After Nier, it's Gravity Rush 2. After that, I have a huge backlog from last year including Rise of the Tomb Raider, Dishonored 2 & Titanfall 2. And I'll probably get a Switch in the Summer.

2017, I need you to chill for a while.

(And I forgot about Persona 5. I just can't.)

Arkeband

Banned
The game is absolutely incredible. Everyone I know who played and finished it is now in a slump because games don't even seem to be trying in comparison. It's been a long time since I connected with a game nearly as much.

I played and beat Nier and got every ending except the last because it was a collect-a-thon, and gave up halfway through Drakengard 3 because the gameplay is awful - should I hit up some YouTube videos so I don't miss any callbacks?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I played and beat Nier and got every ending except the last because it was a collect-a-thon, and gave up halfway through Drakengard 3 because the gameplay is awful - should I hit up some YouTube videos so I don't miss any callbacks?

I'd recommend it if you want to catch absolutely everything, they even reference
a certain character in D3

DKF590

Bit early for the review thread as western outlets are still under embargo.

But regardless, the game is honestly one of my favorites of all time. I strongly recommend anyone remotely interested to check out the demo. Platinum Games was a perfect fit for the insanity of Yoko Taro.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the average drop to mid to lower 80s once the major publications hit though.

LotusHD

Banned
Really surprised how high the review scores are. I was expecting 70-80s.

Well we have a lot of reviews to go, so it'll probably settle in the 80s when everything is said and done, but I get confused whenever I read posts of people saying they expected something in the 70s D:

Aeana

You should be good.

ViciousDS

Banned
i don't fucking get it

its not even 2 days into the 3rd month and we have insanely good games

Yakuza 0
Nier
Horizon
Zelda

and I know theres more universally acclaimed but GOD DAMN

Persona is also right around the corner

fffuuuuucccccccccckkkkkkkkk

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry for jumping the gun on this review thread. I didn't notice that it was under discussion in the OT, I just saw that it had a score on Metacritic. Mods, feel free to lock this up and someone can have a proper go next week.

True Fire

i don't fucking get it

its not even 2 days into the 3rd month and we have insanely good games

Yakuza 0
Nier
Horizon
Zelda

and I know theres more universally acclaimed but GOD DAMN

Persona is also right around the corner

fffuuuuucccccccccckkkkkkkkk

+Nioh

2017 is amazing year for Japan

pezzie

As someone that played and beat this game, it's freaking incredible. I don't expect it to stay in the 90s because the game is really weird in some places that might turn off some reviewers, but this is a game that'll resonate with me deeply.

LotusHD

Banned
Sorry for jumping the gun on this review thread. I didn't notice that it was under discussion in the OT, I just saw that it had a score on Metacritic. Mods, feel free to lock this up and someone can have a proper go next week.

We already 3 pages in, may as well keep it going imo

Inuhanyou

Too late to lock it now, although i would have preferred waiting. Full steam ahead!

ironcreed

Banned
Sounds fantastic. Got it pre-ordered and can't wait to get to it. I have so much to play that it's enough to make you cry.

Seems like overall outstanding reviews. Glad to hear, I cannot wait for Tuesday. What a time to be a gamer with all these amazing titles coming out this year.

Soriku

That feel when you have less free time to play games and all the games you want to play are long.

Might as well just save my money on Nier for now.

Inuhanyou

Keiichi Okabe should be promoted to his own record label. Seriously the man is a god at organizing a musical score. I can't understand. Seriously the music in this game surpasses the original game IMO which was already god level, and that's to say nothing of his work on Tekken as well which is also amazing

Breads

Banned
I would have never expected a Yoko Taro game reaching 90+. Sounds great! I can't wait to get my hands on it.

silva1991

That feel when you have less free time to play games and all the games you want to play are long.

Might as well just save my money on Nier for now.

Nier is the shortest of good Japanese games aside from RE7. Get it and skip the otehr games for now if you don't have enough time for gaming atm.

Dark_castle

zsMyqr7.jpg

That's brutal, but Microsoft really does need to step it up. Sony has just had exclusives like Yakuza 0, Horizon, Nioh and now Nier, with Persona 5 coming. Nintendo has Zelda to win them all. Microsoft on the other hand...

BiggNife

Huh? Why 70s?
I know you adore this game but I think it's going to end up being a bit more divisive than you think

These reviews are great but I expect considerably lower scores from mainstream outlets

I agree with some of the posters in the OT that this game has high highs but low lows. I'm working my way through Route B right now and it's not terrible but it's definitely a little bit of a slog. I know everyone says Route C is mind blowing so I'm looking forward to that, but that doesn't just erase the rest of the game.

Nier Automata is unquestionably a good Yoko Taro game but I also think Yoko Taro games are divisive by nature.

ryechu

I wish I could wipe my memory of the spoilers I've seen and the music I've heard, but I am excited for this game.

Inuhanyou

I know you adore this game but I think it's going to end up being a bit more divisive than you think

These reviews are great but I expect considerably lower scores from mainstream outlets

I agree with some of the posters in the OT that this game has high highs but low lows. I'm working my way through Route B right now and it's not terrible but it's definitely a little bit of a slog. I know everyone says Route C is mind blowing so I'm looking forward to that, but that doesn't just erase the rest of the game.

Nier Automata is unquestionably a good Yoko Taro game but I also think Yoko Taro games are divisive by nature.

That's correct, which i've always known being a Yoko Taro fan since i was in highschool. I don't think 80 to 85 is out of bounds however for this game. That's my view. As we've seen in the thread, there are tons of people who feel the game is amazing that have played it to completion

lol

It's all good man. Damn funny though :p
to be completely honest I was expecting this game to go high 80s, like 85 something.

i didn't like the demo the first time around but maybe i should give this game another shot...
Sony and Nintendo are on fire. Can't believe Sony almost had persona in there too. That's another 90+ game. Gat damn.
what do you mean, almost had persona?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom