• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei : New Wii Fit this Fall and new Mario game this year.

birdchili

JoshuaJSlone said:
So maybe it's just doing new types of measurement? But what?
having the balance board detect rotational force would be pretty useful.

i *do* think nintendo is getting a little worried about accessory fatigue.

The Hermit

Wii Fit Plus is obviously using the motion plus technology.

Also about the Mario title:

Myiamoto (MTV interview 10/29/08 said:
Of course, as is customary with Nintendo, it’s very rare that we are able to announce any games until they’re ready for release, but I can say that these are themes that both of those teams are taking into account and the hope is that for both of those franchises, when we do release the next installments of the “Zelda” [franchise] or maybe the next “Galaxy,” hopefully they will feel newer and fresher than their most recent versions.

He said new Galaxy, not new Mario.

Apenheul said:
The very reason I stopped playing Super Mario RPG right after the intro and never looked back, and that was 20 minutes of pressing A btw.
That's too bad; you're missing out on a great game.

The difference between SMRPG and SMG is that Mario RPG is... an RPG. Galaxy is a platformer. Don't make we watch a bunch of boring cutscenes and tutorals, just let me play.

That's Galaxy's biggest flaw, in my opinion. It takes way too long to get into a level, and the levels really don't even seem to last that long. It feels like I'm spending more time in the porrly designed Observatory than in the levels. There should have just been a SMW-esque map instead of the Observatory, which I felt is by far the worst hub of all the 3D Mario games.

darkwings

Banned
I am all for a new Mario again. During the N64 and Gamecube period I always favored Zelda > Mario, but ever since Galaxy it is Mario > Zelda.

DCX

DCX
You know thinking about it, the new Mario could be a new " Play Control " update to either Sunshine or Mario 64 with a hi res texture pack. 29.99 and maybe some new level or something.

DCX

camineet

Banned
DCX said:
You know thinking about it, the new Mario could be a new " Play Control " update to either Sunshine or Mario 64 with a hi res texture pack. 29.99 and maybe some new level or something.

Massive disappointment incoming :/

AniHawk

JoshuaJSlone said:
So move the C-stick controls to the d-pad? It's been long enough since I played that I don't remember if it being analog was a very big deal.

That's how you control the camera for Galaxy. It's not great, but you pretty much never have to use it.

J-Rock

Banned
Not sure if this has been mentioned...

Some time ago on the Gametrailer forums a user by the name of HeavenlyHerman said he knew someone at Nintendo and stated that Nintendo would be releasing:

A Metroid Prime Trilogy
Wii Fit Plus
4 player Mario
story-centric Metroid
and a new Donkey Kong

He's got 2 right so far...hmm...

WrikaWrek

Banned
You know, nintendo isn't even scratching the surface with Wii Fit, they should pull the Guitar Hero routine.

"Wii Fit with Hugh Jackman"
"Wii Fit with Megan Fox"
"Wii Fit with Nadal"
"Wii Fit with X"

Seriously, bunch of add ons, etc. It's going to take over the world.

J-Rock said:

Some time ago on the Gametrailer forums a user by the name of HeavenlyHerman said he knew someone at Nintendo and stated that Nintendo would be releasing:

A Metroid Prime Trilogy
Wii Fit Plus
4 player Mario
story-centric Metroid
and a new Donkey Kong

A story centric Metroid? Hmmm. I wonder if it would be DS or Wii. Personally, I'd love it on Wii, again, 2D and done by the animation studio that did Shake It.

AniHawk

J-Rock said:

A Metroid Prime Trilogy
Wii Fit Plus
4 player Mario
story-centric Metroid
and a new Donkey Kong

Let's not go to Crazyville. A couple of those were rumored a long time ago. Actually, all except that Mario game have been around in rumor form for years.

Door2Dawn said:
Why are we getting another Wii Fit? Didn't we get the first one last year?

It's a big genre on the system.

J-Rock said:

A Metroid Prime Trilogy
Wii Fit Plus
4 player Mario
story-centric Metroid
and a new Donkey Kong

how long ago was this though? As wii fit plus first popped up a couple of months ago on retailer lists and i swear there was a rumour last year somewhere about a metroid prime trilogy so the others could be little more than guesses

[Nintex]

J-Rock said:

A Metroid Prime Trilogy
Wii Fit Plus
4 player Mario
story-centric Metroid
and a new Donkey Kong

Hmmmm
Picture1-7.png

frankie_baby said:
how long ago was this though? As wii fit plus first popped up a couple of months ago on retailer lists and i swear there was a rumour last year somewhere about a metroid prime trilogy so the others could be little more than guesses

miyamoto said once that they tried galaxy with 4 players

J-Rock

Banned
AniHawk said:
Let's not go to Crazyville. A couple of those were rumored a long time ago. Actually, all except that Mario game have been around in rumor form for years.

Yeah, I'm just throwing out what I've heard around. Obviously this guy could be BSing everyone. Typical rumors. All part of pre-E3 fun.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This thread is great- usually we take vague words and turn them into megatons and in this thread most people are doing the opposite!

Dascu

schuelma said:
This thread is great- usually we take vague words and turn them into megatons and in this thread most people are doing the opposite!
"New Mario is coming to Wii" -> Pff, Mario & Sonic Party Sports 2: Electric Boogaloo
"Nintendo will be announcing a new title" -> OMG ZELDA WII BY HIDEO KOJIMA

i just have the feeling that most of you guys will be dissapointed...

if they want wii sales to surge again they know that they are not going to do it with games like:

galaxy 2

mario party 9

2d mario

they will show some expanded audience wm+ mario game

Starchasing said:
if they want wii sales to surge again they know that they are not going to do it with games like:

2d mario
NewSuperMarioBrothers.jpg

18.45 million copies of this did wonders for the DS, you know

in fact it's the best-selling, standalone game ever apparently (discounting Wii Play because of its bundle value)

Aaron Strife said:
NewSuperMarioBrothers.jpg

18.45 million copies of this did wonders for the DS, you know

in fact it's the best-selling, standalone game ever apparently (discounting Wii Play because of its bundle value)

You said it, on the DS

Big games like brain training, nintendogs never made to Wii succesfully

Also all big sellers on wii have a social component on them

So this game would be

expandend audience plataformer multiplayer super mario bros

gaf is gonna hate it anyways

Starchasing said:
i dont think they will use a sequel of this generation to boost the sales of wii.

Also all big sellers on wii have a social component on them... so it would be

expandend aundience plataformer multiplayer

gaf is gonna hate it anyways
It will probably have a multiplayer component to it, like a battle mode.

It wouldn't be a sequel to NSMB either. It would just be Mario Wii or something.

Jackano

I will be curious to see a true Mario multiplayer game.
I loved to play Super Mario Bros. 3 with a friend, and trying to get this feeling in real time instead of alternatively could be awesome.

And it makes sense for Nintendo to try to use their game engine again. They actually did it for Zelda on DS... Why not for Mario on Wii? Only problem, everyone wanted Zelda on Wii and NSMB2 on DS, and in this case, maybe we will get Mario on Wii, and Zelda on DS :lol

Josh7289

Didn't Nikkei or someone do this in a previous but recent E3 (leak Nintendo's new stuff)?

Weird that they'd screw up twice.

And I have a hard time thinking the new Mario will be a 'real' Mario.

Aaron Strife said:
It will probably have a multiplayer component to it, like a battle mode.

It wouldn't be a sequel to NSMB either. It would just be Mario Wii or something.

Yeah i agree but it will so different from what people are expecting. It will not have a multiplayer component, it will be a vital part of it.

Thats why i dont expect a plataformer, i expect as i have said many times before some form of art game with mario on it to prevent a wii music fiasco

Now that I think about it, a coop centric Mario game (side scrolling or 3D) would be AMAZING. Just imagine levels like Super Mario 3/World with a friend playing with you. I'm probably one of the few people who got a huge kick out of the coop in Galaxy. The final battle with Bowser was hilarious since I kicked Bowser's ass in his second form before my friend realized what happened (he was player 1).

pakkit

Banned
Starchasing said:
i just have the feeling that most of you guys will be dissapointed...

galaxy 2

mario party 9

2d mario

they will show some expanded audience wm+ mario game
Mario Party 9 is expanded audience. Hell, all those games you mentioned are expanded audience. Mario is global now, a mainstream Mario game still rakes in the dollars, and I think a surge in Wii sales would be frontlined by the mainstream gamers. Mainstream gamers are always the ones that jump for a product first, day one.

I personally want to see a return to the Mario 64/Sunshine level design with some kind of new gimmick ala the water pack (but obviously something new). I'm curious about this 4-player element but honestly I hope it really centers on single player since I don't have the time or energy to gather up three friends to play through an adventure game.

Scrubking

schuelma said:

It really is incredible. When I first saw the thread I was expecting 20 pages of hype. Instead we get a thread full of people saying they don't want Super Mario Galaxy 2.

ShockingAlberto said:
Just a general tip, guys

"Trying to help slagging sales" does not mean "Making a game that only GAFers will like and then hate a month later".
2D Mario would be something that everyone would like.

I mean, what gamer doesn't like Super Mario Bros.?

ScrubKing said:
It really is incredible. When I first saw the thread I was expecting 20 pages of hype. Instead we get a thread full of people saying they don't want Super Mario Galaxy 2.
I would love Mario Galaxy 2.

I'd just love a new 2D Mario more.

It's kind of like having to choose which one of your kids you'd save from a burning house.

Aaron Strife said:
2D Mario would be something that everyone would like.

I would love Mario Galaxy 2.

I'd just love a new 2D Mario more.

It's kind of like having to choose which one of your kids you'd save from a burning house.

The smart one, duh.

GCX

Aaron Strife said:
I remember seeing a hate thread about 2D Marios a long time ago.

That was the moment I understood gaf hates everything.

pakkit said:
Mario Party 9 is expanded audience. Hell, all those games you mentioned are expanded audience. Mario is global now, a mainstream Mario game still rakes in the dollars, and I think a surge in Wii sales would be frontlined by the mainstream gamers. Mainstream gamers are always the ones that jump for a product first, day one.

I think that a sequel just wont cut it.

I think it will something new, with m+ and Mario

GCX said:
I remember seeing a hate thread about 2D Marios a long time ago.

That was the moment I understood gaf hates everything.

Where was I when this was going on?

Hating 2D Mario is like hating oxygen. Or receiving free money.

It's just not possible.

MisterHero

SonicMegaDrive said:
Where was I when this was going on?

Hating 2D Mario is like hating oxygen. Or receiving free money.

It's just not possible.
whereas hating 3D Mario is possible? well I never

dark and sinister vanguards of 2D, have at thee

Top Bottom