• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo Switch to be 25,000 yen (Roughly $250) [Up: Maybe speculation]

How much will the cheapest Nintendo Switch SKU cost in U.S. dollars?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Asd202

One analog stick, four face buttons, a + or - button and two triggers. So essentially an SNES but with an analog stick.

As I thought lack of buttons will be a problem for exmaple you can't play Fifa with one joycon. This will be limited.

Speely

Banned
I will need to see more pictures of the Joy-Con Grip. So far, it looks pretty goofy. Hopefully, it will be comfortable. The Pro Controller, on the other hand, looks very promising. I really hope that's really translucent plastic we saw on the front of the controller. I miss that so much.

But it's adorable!

luqXeCJ.jpg

Caelus

I will need to see more pictures of the Joy-Con Grip. So far, it looks pretty goofy. Hopefully, it will be comfortable. The Pro Controller, on the other hand, looks very promising. I really hope that's really translucent plastic we saw on the front of the controller. I miss that so much.

468px-Switch_Setup1.png

I think it's an interesting mix of goofy and charming, I think it will be fairly comfortable and will probably be sufficient for a basic pack-in, but ultimately I will pick up the pro controller.

Don't forget the analog sticks are clickable, that adds another input for a single joycon.

It's goofy-looking as hell, but it seems to work! I'm ok with it.

But yeah, gotta' get me a Pro Controller at launch

Plum

As I thought lack of buttons will be a problem for exmaple you can't play Fifa with one joycon. This will be limited.

It wouldn't take too much effort to get Fifa on a single Joy-Con. For the types of scenario they will be used for (more spontaneous, casual sessions) a more simplified control scheme would work. Remember that they've had Fifa working on the PSP, DS and 3DS so it's not impossible.

EDIT: Of course, as Caelus mentioned you can click the Joy-cons. So you've got 9 buttons and an analog stick overall.

sanstesy

Bad move IMO. The basic Wii U was almost disregarded as it was the poor cousin..meaning most saw its real price as being over $300 (and they didn't want to spend that much).

No Switch bundle should be above $249. I wouldn't go the basic vs deluxe bundle route like the Wii U again..do it like the Wii and just have the one standard model at launch. Simplicity is key for Nintendo.

It's all about marketing it right. They can have a bundle at launch but marketing shoud be prominently focused on the standard model which is at a $249,99 price point. Then interested customers will go to the store and learn about the bundle which they also can choose. It's not that hard and other companies do the same.

Asd202

It wouldn't take too much effort to get Fifa on a single Joy-Con. For the types of scenario they will be used for (more spontaneous, casual sessions) a more simplified control scheme would work. Remember that they've had Fifa working on the PSP, DS and 3DS so it's not impossible.

But once again gimped experience.

Plum

But once again gimped experience.

...you still have an experience though. If you want two-player Fifa on consoles you need to spend £40 on a new controller, if you want two-player Fifa on handhelds you better hope the other person has the same console and the game as well. Nobody's expecting the full experience on every game when you're using one Joy-Con.

Taker666

Well that's what's currently being rumored, GCN game voucher aside.

I know. ..and I hope it's wrong as its a repeat of their previous mistake with the Wii U (although thankfully it's under $300 this time)

Pricing over $200 is repeating the same mistakes as 3DS (at launch) and Vita as well.. if handheld consumers are also intended to jump on the Switch system.

$199 is still the price to hit for the main model if they want a hit out of the gate. $249-$299 will likely limit its success (unless there are some really key innovations yet to be revealed).

EDIT: Of course, as Caelus mentioned you can click the Joy-cons. So you've got 9 buttons and an analog stick overall.

You have 12 buttons if you don't count the 4 that make up the "d-pad buttons". Two triggers, two shoulder buttons, 4 face buttons, two clickable analog sticks and the plus/minus buttons.

Whoops, plus and minus are probably equivalent to start/select, my bad. So 10 total but 7 if each person uses one joycon for MP on the go (those d pad buttons).

wrowa

...you still have an experience though. If you want two-player Fifa on consoles you need to spend £40 on a new controller, if you want two-player Fifa on handhelds you better hope the other person has the same console and the game as well. Nobody's expecting the full experience on every game when you're using one Joy-Con.

I think quite a few people would actually enjoy a reduced, more arcadey version of FIFA for quick multiplayer.

Plum

You have 12 buttons if you don't count the 4 that make up the "d-pad buttons". Two triggers, two shoulder buttons, 4 face buttons, two clickable analog sticks and the plus/minus buttons.

We're talking about using a single Joy-Con in multiplayer, not using both at once.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I feel Nintendo generally comes in about $50 above what I think a good (but not amazing) price is.

I would rate $199 as an amazing price, and $249 as a good price, so I'm voting $299.

I certainly wouldn't mind being wrong. Better price positioning is something they could really benefit from relative to the 3DS and Wii U.

Blastoise

Banned
$200 will give me great confidence in the product and that Nintendo means business. Anything more and I will have to consider if I want a dedicated Nintendo player at launch.

Malakai

If not $199 for a basic Switch (no game and/or joy-con grip) I'm think maybe $219 or $229 for the most basic SKU and maybe $269 or $279 for a bundle w/ game if it doesn't hit the 249 price point for a bundle SKU.

drspeedy

I feel Nintendo generally comes in about $50 above what I think a good (but not amazing) price is.

I would rate $199 as an amazing price, and $249 as a good price, so I'm voting $299.

I certainly wouldn't mind being wrong. Better price positioning is something they could really benefit from relative to the 3DS and Wii U.

This right here.

I've claimed that same pricing strategy since the announcement, but to succeed at a $299 launch price they need a truly impressive pack-in game and a rick solid launch lineup. The probability of another Wii U/Vita-esque price point succeeding when PS4 & XBONE are selling below that price -with huge, established libraries and online presence- is slim to foolish...

468px-Switch_Setup1.png

I think it's an interesting mix of goofy and charming, I think it will be fairly comfortable and will probably be sufficient for a basic pack-in, but ultimately I will pick up the pro controller.

Don't forget the analog sticks are clickable, that adds another input for a single joycon.

Honestly hoping the Wii U Pro controllers work with the Switch. It would be a nice little thing to give Wii U owners who plan on upgrading.

I'm expecting 220$ for basic, 250-270$ for deluxe and I think they will need to start dropping that price rather fast since PS4/Xone are in 250$ range sometimes less.

I'm afraid that Nintendo is going to try to get as much as they can from the hardcore Nintendo fans first because they know that, even if they sell these for 250, they would never really sell that many anyways right after the holiday period when people have already spent their cash on other consoles and games.

I think they'll pull another move from the 3DS book and release at 300 with Zelda (which does not really appeal to casuals) just to drop it to 250 before the next holidays with a relaunch, colors and release it with the next mario or Pokémon to try to make it the must have toy of the holidays.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Is the pricing the only thing that hasn't been revealed officially?
Literally nothing has officially been revealed except a launch in march. No zelda at launch, no Mario at launch, no price etc. everything we've heard is rumors and speculation. That being said I think there's been a lot of credible rumors and we have a good idea of what to expect in four days.

HotHamBoy

22 pages and counting on this. The day they finally tell-all will be both insane and very welcome.

The circlular speculation and armchair analytics is getting really tiresome.

Branduil

Honestly hoping the Wii U Pro controllers work with the Switch. It would be a nice little thing to give Wii U owners who plan on upgrading.

Seems unlikely if the Switch Pro controller has analog triggers and gyros. Maybe it could work for VC games, but probably not.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Expecting $250, but hoping for $199.

I think it would be good for Nintendo to take a small loss to gain market penetration and traction. The more units the are making/selling the faster they could lower manufacturing costs to make a profit at $199.

SuperSah

Banned
On the topic of Joy-Con buttons, how will it work sideways?

Hitting triggers from the side seems like it wouldn't be very good and the lack of second stick means multiplayer Joy-Con games have to be incredibly simple or support multiple 'pro' controllers.

Any ideas of how that'll work?

Plum

On the topic of Joy-Con buttons, how will it work sideways?

Hitting triggers from the side seems like it wouldn't be very good and the lack of second stick means multiplayer Joy-Con games have to be incredibly simple or support multiple 'pro' controllers.

Any ideas of how that'll work?

For the triggers, there's two shoulder buttons on the bit that slides into the tablet/grip. Unless they release some two-stick versions then they won't change, yeah.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
They'll be turning a profit at $199 at launch. The BOM of the rumoured specs wouldn't come to much more than US$150 imo.
Why do people do this every time in every hardware thread, regardless of knowing the actual BOM of the device? Did you design the thing? Do you have insight into each component and the manufacturing process? Do you have numbers on royalties, retailer cuts, etc. is this how you're going to justify your purchase? Sure that's your prerogative but I'm just saying it makes no sense to me given any console.

SuperSah

Banned
For the triggers, there's two shoulder buttons on the bit that slides into the tablet/grip. Unless they release some two-stick versions then they won't change, yeah.

So there's triggers on top as usual, I.E L1 and L2? Then on the side where it clicks in there's more triggers?

Any pictures or something?

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
They'll be turning a profit at $199 at launch. The BOM of the rumoured specs wouldn't come to much more than US$150 imo.

Eh, maybe maybe not.

Remember R&D, shipping, labor costs ECT... Are all baked into the profibility so even if the BOM is less than $199 that doesn't mean they'd turn a profit at $199.

NolbertoS

Likely higher in Canadian dollars, but that's the price point I was hoping for. Like others have said, it's a good price for people who would have bought the handheld and the console for that Nintendo generation.

I expect $349.99 CDN. CDN dollar is the pits still and $200 US is about $270CDN.

Plum

So there's triggers on top as usual, I.E L1 and L2? Then on the side where it clicks in there's more triggers?

Any pictures or something?

When the two Joy-Cons are in the upright position for two-handed use (either attached to the dock/tablet or seperately i.e. Wiimote & Nunchuck) you have the regular L1/L2 and R1/R2 buttons (with two being analog triggers instead of digital). When you have one Joy-Con on the side like this:

There are two shoulder buttons on the top (the flat side).

SuperSah

Banned
When the two Joy-Cons are in the upright position for two-handed use (either attached to the dock/tablet or seperately i.e. Wiimote & Nunchuck) you have the regular L1/L2 and R1/R2 buttons (with two being analog triggers instead of digital). When you have one Joy-Con on the side like this:

There are two shoulder buttons on the top (the flat side).

Looks awkward and cumbersome. All depends on how big those Joy-Cons are. If as small as it looks, it's gonna be awful to use.

Will definitely be investing in the pro controller thing.

HeySeuss

You have literally zero idea what you're talking about. Nobody even knows yet what all is in the system, but you're going to justify your "I'll wait for the price drop" narrative you're going to spout later by making up shit.

Malakai

The Switch Pro controllers have gyros in them along with an analog triggers which the Wii U Pro controllers are missing. However, this could vary on a game by game case but giving how easily the general public is confused, I doubt Nintendo would make the Wii U Pro controllers backwards compatible with the Switch.

The Switch Pro controllers have gyros in them along with an analog triggers which the Wii U Pro controllers are missing. However, this could vary on a game by game case but giving how easily the general public is confused, I doubt Nintendo would make the Wii U Pro controllers backwards compatible with the Switch.

It was so bizarre for them to omit analogue buttons on the Pro controllers.

It'll be great if all, or almost all multiplayer Nintendo games released year 1 could be played multiplayer right out of the box. MK8 basically is confirmed to be able to, but I'd be interested to see if you can play Smash with two Joy Cons. I think it has the right about of buttons; 4 face buttons, 2 shoulders, and an analogue should be everything you need, right?

Why do people do this every time in every hardware thread, regardless of knowing the actual BOM of the device? Did you design the thing? Do you have insight into each component and the manufacturing process? Do you have numbers on royalties, retailer cuts, etc. is this how you're going to justify your purchase? Sure that's your prerogative but I'm just saying it makes no sense to me given any console.

Yup. The wii made Nintendo 6 bucks per console at launch. The Wii.

The 3ds lost boatloads of money on the price cut. Despite its BOM estimates placing it way below.

Don't listen to BOMs. Don't base anything on BOMs.

Malakai

Yup. The wii made Nintendo 6 bucks per console at launch. The Wii.

The 3ds lost boatloads of money on the price cut. Despite its BOM estimates placing it way below.

Don't listen to BOMs. Don't base anything on BOMs.

I do recall reading that $6 figure a long time ago. However, I'm wondering how did Nintendo account for the bundle Wii Sports into that figure. Nintendo didn't bundle it w/ the Japanese Wii. Looking at this chart, it looks like the Japanese Wii was sold about 205 USD.

Top Bottom