• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo Switch to be 25,000 yen (Roughly $250) [Up: Maybe speculation]

How much will the cheapest Nintendo Switch SKU cost in U.S. dollars?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think Nintendo regret pricing the Wii at 250 and missing out on so much potential profit they could have made if it was 300.

Every Nintendo console since has been priced at slightly more then it probably should cost. I think that trend will continue and the Switch will be 300 or 350 for the basic model+ a sku for $50 more with some pack in stuff.

Malakai

It was so bizarre for them to omit analogue buttons on the Pro controllers.

It'll be great if all, or almost all multiplayer Nintendo games released year 1 could be played multiplayer right out of the box. MK8 basically is confirmed to be able to, but I'd be interested to see if you can play Smash with two Joy Cons. I think it has the right about of buttons; 4 face buttons, 2 shoulders, and an analogue should be everything you need, right?

I know. It was a ridiculous that it didn't have gyroscope controls as well considering they were what made the Wii successful and they were in the the Gamepad!!!!

I know that you can play Smash with the Wii Remote w/ NunChuck. Not sure if you can play Smash with just the Wii Remote. (sold my Wii U copy of Smash) So, you may be right about being able to play Smash with just one Joy Cons.

Edit: Looking here @ page 24 (PDF Warning), Smash should be playable on one Joy Con.

Every Nintendo console since has been priced at slightly more then it probably should cost. I think that trend will continue and the Switch will be 300 or 350 for the basic model+ a sku for $50 more with some pack in stuff.

NPR

Miyamoto said:
So unfortunately with our latest system, the Wii U, the price point was one that ended up getting a little higher than we wanted.

One has to believe they've learned something from the launches of both 3DS and Wii U.

120v

I think Nintendo regret pricing the Wii at 250 and missing out on so much potential profit they could have made if it was 300.

$250 was considered a gamble at the time. the thing was essentially a souped up xbox with motion controls, luckily it worked out fine but i couldn't see it flying off shelves had they gone higher

that said it's really not relevant by today's standards. Switch has a much more "conservative" pitch, inflation places $250 as not so much, ect

Thanks OP for this thread! You've exposed many a cheapskate today.

I don't even think it's that. I think it's a combination of not knowing how much you can realistically launch this tech at. Like someone said with the rumoured specs it shouldnt be expensive. Eh, specs dont describe the expensive of manufacturing processes for instances.

$250 is a fine launch price. People expecting less or suggesting the switch will be a dismal failure if it isn't $199 are setting themselves up for disappointment. I'm not saying that price isn't possible but it's incredibly unlikely. I still think it's possible that the switch launches for more like $299.

Astral Dog

No after 3DS and Wii U

The Switch Pro controllers have gyros in them along with an analog triggers which the Wii U Pro controllers are missing. However, this could vary on a game by game case but giving how easily the general public is confused, I doubt Nintendo would make the Wii U Pro controllers backwards compatible with the Switch.

Where was it confirmed they have gyro?

kubus

I think it's better if you take out Vitor711's translation from the OP because it's inaccurate and will still confuse people. Instead perhaps quote a piece from the Dualshockers' article for clarification.

The way the OP is written now it's like there are three ways to interpret the article: you saying Nikkei "all but confirmed" it, Vitor117 being somewhere in the middle and Dualshockers refuting it.

Also don't get why the "Speculation maybe" was added to the thread title when it was already confirmed as speculation before that was added, but that may have been a mod's doing.

I think people are setting them up for huge disappointment this Friday because they think 25.000 yen is very likely now. As much as I (and Nikkei) want it to be that price, I think something like 27.900 yen to 29.900 yen max is much more likely because it gives them more wiggle room to do a price cut later and it'll still be cheaper than the PS4.

It's not like the switch is going to have a 10nm SoC. Even if it has a 16nm SoC it's not going to be considered state of the art for mobile. A 150$ BoM is a reasonable estimate.

So we're really judging how state of the art a chip is based solely on the manufacturing process and nothing else? This is really where we're at huh? Not to mention a BOM, without even knowing the internals aside from rumors of the what chip it's using and the resolution of the screen is beyond laughable. Anytime someone brings up BOM, I just nod and move on.

alt27

Not sure about nintendos pricing history but sony always prices PS more expensive in Japan than the west (taking into account exchange rates)

$249 is my expectation

$199 is best case scenario

$299+ is "everyone to the shelter!" scenario

If $250 is the "base" and $300 is the "deluxe", I agree and am totally in.

At above $300... I might still be in, but more because my wife will really want it, and I don't want to have to explain why $50 is somehow a meaningful breaking point. If it were just me, I'd probably stand my stupid ground until a price drop. All this of course is to say that claiming the importance or logic of a specific price with how little we know is pretty dumb.

idi amin laughing gif

Alcibiades

$250 was considered a gamble at the time. the thing was essentially a souped up xbox with motion controls, luckily it worked out fine but i couldn't see it flying off shelves had they gone higher

that said it's really not relevant by today's standards. Switch has a much more "conservative" pitch, inflation places $250 as not so much, ect

The Wii could have launched at $399 and still been a hot item that first year. After that they could have dropped to $299 and still sold just as many for another year.

The primary people benefiting from that $250 price was scalpers that hogged supply for the first couple of years.

I think it's better if you take out Vitor711's translation from the OP because it's inaccurate and will still confuse people. Instead perhaps quote a piece from the Dualshockers' article for clarification.

The way the OP is written now it's like there are three ways to interpret the article: you saying Nikkei "all but confirmed" it, Vitor117 being somewhere in the middle and Dualshockers refuting it.

Also don't get why the "Speculation maybe" was added to the thread title when it was already confirmed as speculation before that was added, but that may have been a mod's doing.

I think people are setting them up for huge disappointment this Friday because they think 25.000 yen is very likely now. As much as I (and Nikkei) want it to be that price, I think something like 27.900 yen to 29.900 yen max is much more likely because it gives them more wiggle room to do a price cut later and it'll still be cheaper than the PS4.

You got it

I don't get the argument that the Switch is under-powered. Even if it ends up being marketed as a home console, the guts of the machine are all in a slim tablet form. The only numbers I could find on the 3DS are 4.8 Gflops for the GPU (take that number with a grain of salt), compared to likely upwards of 400ish Gflops for the Switch.

You're talking about a HUGE graphical leap from Nintendo's last handheld, but people want to compare it to cutting edge Microsoft and Sony home consoles that are 10x the size and have 4-15x the power. I don't understand the argument, and it seems a bit disingenuous. Nintendo can market it as a home console all they want, but if it has mobile components in a mobile device--despite connecting to a TV, it's a mobile!

So yeah, $249 is a good price.

coughlanio

25,000 JPY MSRP means 27,000 JPY retail, which strongly indicates a $250 US retail price. I'd probably put my money on $249.99 USD, 219.99 GBP, 269.99 EUR.

Neonep

I've said it before and I'll say it again, anybody that believes, thinks, or does whatever they do that the Switch will be below $250 is setting themselves up for a major let down. Don't even expect it. It's like a lot of people don't understand that the cost of the Switch is more than just its physical components, the logistics are probably something crazy and that also factor into the price. But hey what do I know I'm just one person that went to college and specialized in these types of things. I'm sure there are many on here that know more than me with greater detail.

120v

I don't get the argument that the Switch is under-powered. Even if it ends up being marketed as a home console, the guts of the machine are all in a slim tablet form. The only numbers I could find on the 3DS are 4.8 Gflops for the GPU (take that number with a grain of salt), compared to likely upwards of 400ish Gflops for the Switch.

You're talking about a HUGE graphical leap from Nintendo's last handheld, but people want to compare it to cutting edge Microsoft and Sony home consoles that are 10x the size and have 4-15x the power. I don't understand the argument, and it seems a bit disingenuous. Nintendo can market it as a home console all they want, but if it has mobile components in a mobile device--despite connecting to a TV, it's a mobile!

So yeah, $249 is a good price.

i understand the argument but new hardware in 2017, of which will mostly be played at home stationary, will have certain expectations in gaming circles. Wii U in a can isn't particularly what "we" had in mind

still it's fairly impressive tech and i think it'll sell rather well in spite of itself. but its general "low end" in the spectrum

Neonep

I wonder how GAF is going to respond when it's peoced at $299.99 especially considering all of these it has to be $200 and $250 is too much.

I wonder how GAF is going to respond when it's peoced at $299.99 especially considering all of these it has to be $200 and $250 is too much.

D;

Those of us with jobs shouldn't find it TOO difficult to raise/save another $100, but I can't speak for everyone. I also can't imagine Nintendo will release it at the same price as the Wii U after, well, the Wii U happened.

Overblown reactions can be pretty funny, though.

Neonep

D;

Those of us with jobs shouldn't find it TOO difficult to raise/save another $100, but I can't speak for everyone. I also can't imagine Nintendo will release it at the same price as the Wii U after, well, the Wii U happened.

Overblown reactions can be pretty funny, though.
It's going to be hilarious.

Mooreberg

Where are people getting the idea it has to be one price point at launch? People are suggesting what they think the best strategy would be, based on what we've seen in the past. $299.99 and $349.99 sans a Wii Sports sort of viral hit did not work. It is also pricing higher than what the handheld market has ever supported, and plenty of people are talking about how they view this primarily as the successor to 3DS.

It makes sense to be excited about an uptick in Japanese third party support, there is probably a good chance of that happening. But the kinds of games that are beloved on here are not what has PS4 outpacing PS2 (for now) either. Either this thing grabs the mainstream audience, or it does not. If it doesn't, I don't know what the path forward would be. This isn't 2001 - 2005 where 25 million on a console and 80 million on a handheld will keep investors happy. It is replacing two product lines, and mobile is going to keep looking like a golden ticket for suits who are more concerned with investments than games.

I'm going to buy one because it's my job, but $299 for what it offers from a customer perspective means Nintendo hasn't learned anything. $249 is the max it should be dropping at.

LordofPwn

Can you write off consoles and video games generally as business expenses? Just curious.
If it's strictly for business purposes, then yes. Which means you are using those expenses for the purpose of making money. If you're not making money from it there's a chance you may get audited.

Like if I do some side jobs and make additional income I'll try and purchase some equipment to help offset the taxes on that additional income. Yay freelancing days.

I think as long as the switch is cheaper than $300 I'll be buying one within the year. Only few more days before we get confirmation. Hope pre-orders don't get messed up.

Oregano

I'm going to buy one because it's my job, but $299 for what it offers from a customer perspective means Nintendo hasn't learned anything. $249 is the max it should be dropping at.

Yup, this is where I am at. I'm hoping for £200/$250/€250/25000¥ for the sake of the mass market. I'd probably be willing to pay even more than that personally.

Top Bottom