• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: PSP2 to sport 3g connectivity, OLED touchscreen

BowieZ

Banned
duckroll said:
Maybe if you're a girl or something. Real men just shove our phones into our pockets. We don't keep them in a purse! Why would I want my phone in another case or pouch which makes it even more out of reach when I can just have it in my pocket?!
lol

Well if you've got your PSP2 out, playing it, you'd have quicker access to your phone if it was connected in some way. You could just flip over the PSP2 and read a message or if you've got a call coming in, there's no fumbling about to try and pull the phone out of your jeans or whatever. I dunno.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
duckroll said:
Maybe if you're a girl or something. Real men just shove our phones into our pockets. We don't keep them in a purse! Why would I want my phone in another case or pouch which makes it even more out of reach when I can just have it in my pocket?!
This dude knows what's up.

Truespeed

lowrider007 said:
Why the stylus with a capacitive display?, they don't even work on my oled capacitive screen on my phone.

That's not a stylus, it's the the wireless butt-kicker single shock probe.

Truespeed

sprsk said:
Use bags people. Why the fuck are you carrying all that shit in your pockets.

Or just get one of these

dljczb.jpg

Averon

I doubt the PSP2 will be a slider. It's too close to the PSPGo in design. I'm sure Sony wants to keep anything regarding the PSPGo as far away from the PSP2 as possible.

antonz

Can we get a mod to update the topic to mention ignore kotaku? This thing is going to be posted 5 more times over the course of the night even though its fake

Apath

Averon said:
I doubt the PSP2 will be a slider. It's too close to the PSPGo in design. I'm sure Sony wants to keep anything regarding the PSPGo as far away from the PSP2 as possible.
If by stay away from the PSP Go design, you mean stay away from the best designed handheld on the market, then yes.

Seriously, it would be stupid of Sony to forego such a superior design simply because their failure of a product (whose failure's have nothing to do with its slider design) happened to also utilize it.

Kuran said:
Clamshell design would make it unnecesarily fat, and would leave a lot of wasted space on the bottom part. Plus it wouldn't work with a front facing touch-screen since you'd bust the hinge in no time.

Edit: real men don't use cellphones

A kind of reversible clamshell design would be cool. So you could open it with the controls exposed below the flipped up screen. You could close it with the screen protected so it's safe in your pocket (and it can still play music in this mode). And you could also close it with the touch screen on the outside for touch games and videos.

Apath

yencid said:
I would love if it if PSN games made their way to the PSP2.
Playing scott pilgrim on the go for example, perfect.
Wouldn't the absence of secondary shoulder buttons + L3/R3 be a problem?

I was hoping the analogue sticks wouldn't be at the very bottom. The PSP's stick is kind of hard to use in it's position at the bottom of the PSP. Oh well, as long as it has two sticks, I'll be happy.

LQX

It's like they learnt nothing from having their expensive electronics not sell and with all the features this seem to have I can't imagine them pricing it cheaply. Hopefull it's under $250.

yencid

LQX said:
It's like they learnt nothing from having their expensive electronics not sell and with all the features this seem to have I can't imagine them pricing it cheaply. Hopefull it's under $250.
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Kuran

Banned
LQX said:

I'm so tired of reading this. What's the point in wanting Sony to release hardware that is in feature-parity with 3DS?

Apath

Kuran said:
Haha, oh shit. Is this what we will be whining for with PSP3?
I'm not quite sure. I feel like at some point handhelds will become modern controllers with screens attached. Though I'm questioning why it wasn't this way from the start.

Grayman said:
not for scott pilgrim it won't!
Selective PSN compatibility?
yencid said:
L2 and r2 can be done with the touchpad if it really is included. L3 and r3 could be a problem
I guess that's true.

neptunes said:
I hope Namco shows off Ridge Racer 8

I need more Ridge Racer in my life

Have you read about Ridge Racer 3D? They're actually making it even easier to drift in that game. Which blows my mind because I didn't think that it could possibly be any easier than it has been in recent installments. They've also "fixed" it so you car won't slow down much when you hit another car or a wall. I guess there really is no hope for them to go back to the Rage style.

Kuran

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Have you read about Ridge Racer 3D? They're actually making it even easier to drift in that game. Which blows my mind because I didn't think that it could possibly be any easier than it has been in recent installments. They've also "fixed" it so you car won't slow down much when you hit another car or a wall. I guess there really is no hope for them to go back to the Rage style.

Really? Drifting already feels automatic... sometimes its like playing MegaRace on DOS.

Kuran said:
Really? Drifting already feels automatic... sometimes its like playing MegaRace on DOS.

"Drifting itself is hard enough – sometimes it's really hard to enter the drifting state, because you've got to release the gas pedal momentarily to enter the drift, and then you've got to counter-steer to control the car.

"We've realised that, so we've introduced this easy one-button drift feature. It really works similar to Mario Kart, so young audiences, young players are familiar with how Mario Kart works, so it helps lower the barrier, expanding the game to a wider audience who have been intimidated by the controls."

Kuran said:
"One thing that we've improved on is that in previous Ridge Racers when you bump into cars or walls it really slows you down, and makes it impossible to win the race, but now it doesn't slow down as much," he said.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-25-ridge-racer-3ds-is-simple-and-forgiving

The releasing the button comment is just amazing.

Kuran said:

Mm, they've added an optional control scheme with a drift button. Didn't know about the collisions, that's not good.

Ridge Racer was never about realism but it started out life with a gearbox and clutch pedal!

neptunes

Hopefully that's just something Namco felt they needed to add to a Nintendo iteration. Was ridge racer 64 or DS any good? Were they even developed by Namco?

neptunes said:
Hopefully that's just something Namco felt they needed to add to a Nintendo iteration. Was ridge racer 64 or DS any good?

I don't think that it has much to do with it being on a Nintendo platform. The PSP Ridge Racers are also insanely easy. They've been attempting to make the series easier and easier for quite a while now.

Kuran

Banned
Ridge Racers 2 on PSP was a nice package, but very oddly paced. You had to complete maybe 50 boring races to even get through to the next 'difficulty'. It was like being stuck in 50cc mode in Mario Kart for hours.

I always thought it was a shame that they never really expanded on Ridge Racer Type 4, that had an awesome style and single player mode, at least the Japanese version.

Kuran said:
Ridge Racers 2 on PSP was a nice package, but very oddly paced. You had to complete maybe 50 boring races to even get through to the next 'difficulty'. It was like being stuck in 50cc mode in Mario Kart for hours.

Yes there was a lot of that, especially if you'd already played RR1. And I seem to remember the final races seemed impossible unless I stayed behind the opposition to the end and then boost past them.

duckroll said:
Just because I wear a skirt and heels, and carry around a Prada bag does not mean I'm not more man than you could handle honey.

Wow, Ridge Racer 3DS sounds like a fucking joke now, I'm glad I didn't put it high up my list. Visuals that somehow look worse than the PSP version (until you turn on 3D), dumbed down drift controls (WTF was so hard about it?), and less penalty for bumps?

The Basic Tour in the PSP version was already so easy it bored me to tears but I'm glad they started to up the challenge in the middle of Pro Tour which started the 1v1 races. It was need to drive tenaciously that made Ridge Racer so fun. Max Tour (the most difficult tour) is so fun because at the beginning, you'll think the AI has infinite nitros cheat but once you improve your driving you can get nitros just as often if not more often.

Good job Namco, you'll just turn off audiences as to how easy the darn thing will become.

I hope they don't do this for the next new Ridge Racer game, don't care what platform it appears on.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
yencid said:
L2 and r2 can be done with the touchpad if it really is included. L3 and r3 could be a problem

lol true

if its a multitouch rear pad, you could use one finger for L2, two fingers for L3

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Kuran said:

I always thought it was a shame that they never really expanded on Ridge Racer Type 4, that had an awesome style and single player mode, at least the Japanese version.

Ridge Racer HD portable collection! make it so. RR1, Rage, Type-4 and bonus Rave Racer which I dont' think was ever released.

mrklaw said:
if its a multitouch rear pad, you could use one finger for L2, two fingers for L3
If it really have front touch screen, you can simply touch the screen. Ots not like l3 and r3 isa often used that it will block the screen often

Callibretto said:
If it really have front touch screen, you can simply touch the screen. Ots not like l3 and r3 isa often used that it will block the screen often

I think the idea is your thumbs are busy enough already. More controls for fingers are good, like on PC and arcade sticks.

mrklaw said:
Ridge Racer HD portable collection! make it so. RR1, Rage, Type-4 and bonus Rave Racer which I dont' think was ever released.

Not in the home, (exept emulation).
All the tracks from those games were remade in RR2, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Graphics Horse said:
I think the idea is your thumbs are busy enough already. More controls for fingers are good, like on PC and arcade sticks.

Not in the home, (exept emulation).
All the tracks from those games were remade in RR2, so it shouldn't be too hard.
You use your thumb to access l3 and r3 on dual shock controller..

Callibretto said:
You use your thumb to access l3 and r3 on dual shock controller..

Yeah, while you're using the sticks. With touch screen you'd have to take them off the sticks.
buttons on the nubs would be fine if they can do it.

Binabik15

Graphics Horse said:
Yeah, while you're using the sticks. With touch screen you'd have to take them off the sticks.
buttons on the nubs would be fine if they can do it.

That being said, how difficult/expensive/space wasting would analog buttons be? That´s one of the best things about Sony controllers, every controller not having analog buttons feels super cheap. The few games using it on PS2 were so much better for it.

The L2/R2+L3/R3 thing can be solved in any way Sony wants, IMO, even if it´s a bit awkward, but they really NEED to have full dualshock inputs on the PSP2 if they want to have "console experiences" doing well.

spwolf

duckroll said:

154701_1_7

Since I have been carrying this and keeping the radiating phone out of proximity of my penis, my sex life has gotten better.

Keeps my wallet, ipad, iphone closer and without stuffing my pockets.

Top Bottom