• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: PSP2 to sport 3g connectivity, OLED touchscreen

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It seems plausible, but then again, it seems like something 'anyone' could write up so who knows. What is this website like, what's their reputation?

xtop

Spiegel said:
- Dimensions: 17X7.4X2.3 cm
- 5" OLED multi-touch screen (12.7 cm)
- Multi-touch trackpad
- Resolution: 960 x 544
- Quad core ARM Cortex A-9
- PowerVR SGX 543 MP4+
- 512MB LPDDR2 RAM (1GB devkits)
- 16GB flash + SD slot
- Wifi, 3G, bluetooth
- Acelerometers, GPS, gyroscope, front and back camera

thanks for simplifying

spwolf

plagiarize said:
i just realised that i don't want to see PSP games on a screen bigger than the GO's. if i want to make them look pixelly and massive i'll do it on my TV and play them with a dual shock 3, but for portable use, that GO screen is perfect.

i'm totally going to have to get a man purse or a holster or that jacket.

edit: or let me play them 1:1.

it is 5" screen, like Streak... so not that huge. My man purse for ipad is a lot bigger :)

if they actually do 5", it would be first time in centuries that Sony did something... right... only failure could be massive price.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Father_Brain said:
Also, it estimates a November launch, based on what Sony has told developers and the deadlines those developers are currently working under.

Perfect timing for the holiday but also could coincide with a 3DS price drop depending on how much it is. This is going to be an interesting holiday.

I'm just glad that we're getting two amazing handhelds in one year. That's good for everyone.

spwolf said:
it is 5" screen, like Streak... so not that huge. My man purse for ipad is a lot bigger :)

if they actually do 5", it would be first time in centuries that Sony did something... right... only failure could be massive price.
oh, the screen sounds great don't get me wrong, but i'm just saying i just realised that i don't really want it to be PSP BC unless you can do 1:1.

i'm going to be carrying around a kindle, my GO, my 3DS and my PSP2 by the end of year the way things are going.

how much is that gadget jacket?

theBishop

Banned
Router said:
567193.jpg

I like it but it still looks too uncomfortable.

I will pay $350 to play Uncharted on that.

The mockup 1UP made looks terrible.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Just a note, but the dimensions in the article aren't purported to be PSP2's - they're the original PSP's, for reference.

I've no idea how the article can be correct about it being 'less broad but more high' than the original - it surely will need to be to some degree broader than the original.

Russell

The 960x544 resolution on the OLED screen (perfect blacks!) is going to be a dream machine for those who care about image quality.

Boney

Banned
theBishop said:
I will pay $350 to play Uncharted on that.

The mockup 1UP made looks terrible.
This is the opposite from what I want from PSP2 myself. I doubt they'll Peace Walker it and make it a good fit for a handheld.

Russell said:
The 960x544 resolution on the OLED screen (perfect blacks!) is going to be a dream machine for those who care about image quality.
and those that love horror gaming on a portable in bed late at night (as i do!)

Minsc

Gold Member
Specs above sound amazing, probably good enough to keep it around for a long time. And the visual quality should be second to none.

Will be awesome for homebrew, PSP really just lacked power. This should be fast enough for running nearly every emulator made if it gets properly optimized.

Hopefully it does use SD cards, they're much cheaper than the pro duo ms.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Won't those specs above almost guarantee that this will be a $350 machine?

FoneBone

Plinko said:
Perfect timing for the holiday but also could coincide with a 3DS price drop depending on how much it is. This is going to be an interesting holiday.
If the pricing is genuinely competitive with 3DS, I'd look for Nintendo to increase the perceived value (that is, bundles) rather than actually dropping the price per se.

btkadams

Russell said:
would this really be that high-res for the 5 inch screen? i actually wouldn't know, my phone screen is tiny.

Russell

plagiarize said:
Awesome!

A few years ago I was playing the God of War demo on PSP. There was one scene where there was a lot of darkness. That which should have been black, was a glowing grey. Yuck. That really turned me off and I never forgot that.

Good-bye and good riddance to LCD tech. I sure as heck won't miss it.

xtop

Plinko said:

nothing crazy listed there. screen will be the most expensive. but even an ipad is under $300 to make

Spiegel

gofreak said:
Just a note, but the dimensions in the article aren't purported to be PSP2's - they're the original PSP's, for reference.

I've no idea how the article can be correct about it being 'less broad but more high' than the original - it surely will need to be to some degree broader than the original.

Oh, thanks for the correction.

- Less broad but more high than the original PSP (PSP dimensions: 17X7.4X2.3 cm)
- Multi-touch trackpad
- PowerVR SGX 543 MP4+
- 16GB flash + SD slot
- Wifi, 3G, bluetooth
- November 2011

Eliciel

Plinko said:

For my taste it's a guarantee for $399 and that's sad somehow. $299 would be customer friendly approach, but Sony will do it step by step and filtering every customer price limitations out. There will still be a lot of people who will buy at a price of $399.

Father_Brain said:
So, it's too wide to fit in a pocket?

The PSP-1000 is basically too large to fit in a pocket, and everything has pointed at this thing being larger than that, even, so yeah, seems about right to me.

Everything else there sounds fairly plausible, in light of past rumors.

The overall system hinted at in that writeup is entirely consistent with past rumors and at least makes a certain type of sense as a design -- it's really trying to be the iPad of portable gaming, a large carry-it-in-your-bag device with a load of power under the hood and a relatively large, attractive OLED screen on which to watch video or play fancy games.

It's certainly logical in one sense since it's about as far away from the 3DS as they could possibly get and is likely to have entirely separate software and a completely different target demographic, but I'm not sure positioning themselves that close to the iPad is a winning strategy.

Plinko said:

It definitely further puts the lie to the ridiculous idea that Sony could sell this thing at $250 and still make a per-unit profit, but as Durante was saying there's going to be a lot of wiggle room on starting price based on their exact strategy. Unlike the PS3 there's no single component that's outrageously expensive and there are several that ought to drop in price precipitously over the short term (the OLED screen ought to get much cheaper quickly as more and more phones adopt the tech, for example.)

But yeah, I don't think there's any conceivable way this thing comes out at price parity with 3DS and I think there's at least a significant chance that it's more than $299 at launch.

Elios83

Spiegel said:

- Less broad but more high than the original PSP (PSP dimensions: 17X7.4X2.3 cm)
- Multi-touch trackpad
- PowerVR SGX 543 MP4+
- 16GB flash + SD slot
- Wifi, 3G, bluetooth
- November 2011

So according to them it's a quad core CPU and quad core GPU XD Ouch at the beast :O
Still thinking that we'll get two SKUs, one without 3G and internal memory at 299$ and the 'tablet' SKU with 3D and at least 16GB of internal memory at 399$.

theBishop

Banned
Spiegel said:

Unless the buttons are tiny, I don't see how this is possible in the brick layout. Looking at my PSP-1000, there's not much room to shave off. Especially with a bigger screen in the mix. Even when you compare it to the PSP-2000, the big gains are in thickness and ergonomics. It stretches a pocket roughly the same.

theBishop

Banned
Boney said:
Played one of the Syphon Filter, it was mediocre at best.

But eh, we'll see how they fare with Uncharted.

"Mediocre at best" has a 87% gameranking. I guess you just have more refined taste than me.

spwolf

theBishop said:
Unless the buttons are tiny, I don't see how this is possible in the brick layout. Looking at my PSP-1000, there's not much room to shave off. Especially with a bigger screen in the mix. Even when you compare it to the PSP-2000, the big gains are in thickness and ergonomics. It stretches a pocket roughly the same.

i very much doubt it will be brick design... it makes no sense...

Russell

For the first time in history we'll have a portable game machine that will be able to display black as BLACK, not grey. The infinite contrast of OLED tech is going to make the visuals look like they're going to pop out of the screen, giving it a three-dimensional look. Prepared to be blown away.

Guevara

charlequin said:
The PSP-1000 is basically too large to fit in a pocket, and everything has pointed at this thing being larger than that, even, so yeah, seems about right to me.

Ugh, that's where it starts and ends for me. That's too big to bring with you everyday, it really only makes sense on longer trips, trains or flights. The problem is that on longer trips I already have to carry my laptop so what's the point.

Tobor

theBishop said:
Oh shit... Dead Space portable...

...is out right now, lol.

Not talking trash, just thought that was funny.

Guevara said:
Ugh, that's where it starts and ends for me. That's too big to bring with you everyday, it really only makes sense on longer trips, trains or flights. The problem is that on longer trips I already have to carry my laptop so what's the point.

I agree, except insert iPad for laptop. I still might get one of these though, and start looking seriously at reducing the number of console purchases I make in the future. Handhelds uber alles.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't want 16GB flash, keeps the cost high. Maybe they just pulled that from the go?

I'll take no flash, and a memory card slot.

oh and I hope they use memory stick micro, I have a spare 16GB one lying around from the go :p

Russell said:
For the first time in history we'll have a portable game machine that will be able to display black as BLACK, not grey. The infinite contrast of OLED tech is going to make the visuals look like they're going to pop out of the screen, giving it a three-dimensional look. Prepared to be blown away.
Not quite...

theBishop said:
Unless the buttons are tiny, I don't see how this is possible in the brick layout.

Shape it like the PSP Go slider but without actually sliding: screen on top, buttons and analogs underneath. That would produce a device taller but less wide than the original PSP. (It'd also kind of make sense if they were going for a slider form and had to back out due to heat issues, and would give them a clear upgrade option for the first hardware revision.)

State of the art handhelds are a double edged sword for me. On the one I can get exited about a new piece of state of the art portable hardware like the PSP2 but on the other, I'd rather see devs spend their time getting their games into my HD screen instead of on a portable console I probably won't buy.

Besides that, I'm with the people that think that handhelds like the PSP are a dying race and will more and more be overshadowed by next gen smartphones. I also don't think it is worth it for many devs to be making ever more labor intensive games without being certain whether it will be successful.

charlequin said:
The overall system hinted at in that writeup is entirely consistent with past rumors and at least makes a certain type of sense as a design -- it's really trying to be the iPad of portable gaming, a large carry-it-in-your-bag device with a load of power under the hood and a relatively large, attractive OLED screen on which to watch video or play fancy games.

It's certainly logical in one sense since it's about as far away from the 3DS as they could possibly get and is likely to have entirely separate software and a completely different target demographic, but I'm not sure positioning themselves that close to the iPad is a winning strategy.

I agree, except for the "entirely separate software" part (I still think there will be a fair number of 3DS/PSP2 multiplatform titles, due to the much higher budgets for PSP2-exclusive software and lower publisher sales expectations for the hardware against 3DS). But we'll see how that plays out.

spwolf said:
i very much doubt it will be brick design... it makes no sense...

Me either. The only way I can see them being forced to a brick is if the unit (due to the insane rumored specs) would simply overheat in a slider design due to the decrease in real estate.

As dumb as it sounds, if its a brick, I don't see myself buying it. As I get older I have little need to carry around a "BOOM HERE'S MY PSP BRICK, BABY!" especially if I need to check email on it at a meeting or something (which I feel fine doing on my iPod Touch). I liked the slider design of the PSPgo. Very comfortable and looked great.

theBishop

Banned
Tobor said:
...is out right now, lol.

Not talking trash, just thought that was funny.

:lol woah, out today. And with "free-roaming" gameplay (i.e. not a rail shooter). Looks impressive on paper, but i doubt the reviews will be good.

Jinko

plagiarize said:

And when a flash of lightning happens it temporarily blinds for you a few seconds, OLED and playing in the dark can be a tricky experience.

Russell said:
Oh, yes it will. Very much so.
I'm not refuting the black capabilities as, yes, blacks are actually black. I was talking about the "3D" statement.

I've been using a more than capable gaming AMOLED device with a 3.7" screen in the Nexus One for over a year now. OLED tech is nice for sure... but not that mind-blowing and not without it's drawbacks. For instance, while there is power savings from displaying black and darker images, OLEDs are noticeably less efficient than traditional LCDs in displaying brighter and white colors.

Russell

/looks as specs/

Like I said, a true dream machine.

I wonder if it will come out in the United States later this year, or early next year...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this year.

seady said:
As for features, I wish PSP2 can play all PSN games both from current PSP and PS3. If they do that, I will buy the PSP2 day 1, and also start to buy all my digital games from PSN instead of XBLA. Talk about killing two birds with one stone.

yencid said:
I would love if it if PSN games made their way to the PSP2.
Playing scott pilgrim on the go for example, perfect.

That is a system seller for me as well, however I don't think that PSP BC will happen for 2 reasons:

1) As was previously discussed, the PSP architecture is archaic and it might be difficult to do full SW emulation
2) It might be a security risk and give hackers a backdoor to hacking the PSP2.

They can fix that by upporting the best and most popular PSP games, and that would be perfect for me as I didn't buy many PSP games because of a lack of second analog, including the 2nd GOW. It was hard for me to play COO because I was constantly trying to roll using my right thumb instead of pressing R1+L1 and then move the analog stick. I could only beat the game on easy.

I'll say what I want from the PSP2 based on the terms being thrown out by Sony, such as "platform connectivity" and "content on multiple devices". I also assume the device is as powerful as rumored and is able to run most PS3 games (albeit with downgraded visuals and audio). This is probably not what Sony means when they use those terms, but this is what I think of when I hear it:

1) PSP2 is compatible with and able to play most PSN games and, like current PSN games, it's DRMed on up to 5 active machines. Some games, such as Dead Nation, would be cross platform play (i.e. I can play on my PSP2 and you on your PS3 and we can play together). Of course if I can't natively download the game (ME2, inFamous) on the PSP2, I should be able to play it through Remote Play (with the exception of Move and possible 3D games). With the rear pad emulating R2/L2, only R3/L3 remain a question on controls (maybe touchscreen emulates those since you don't use R3/L3 all that much, except for sprinting in games like COD). One problem here is license, would the original license be platform agnostic or is it specific to PSN on PS3? Maybe rework the licenses if that's the case.

2) The PSP upports would be playable on both PSP2 and PS3 at anytime, DRMed up to 5 active machines like the above. The reason it should also be playable on PS3 as well is because if someone already has a PS3 and has bought a 3DS and an iphone, he or she might not want to buy yet another portable, but would not be opposed to buying the game on the PS3, Sony and developers still get revenue from those sales. Sony can pick the best and most unique games to upport, for example Fat Princess and SSD wouldn't need an upport because in this scenario the PSP2 would be able to play the superior PSN version natively with cross platform play.

3) Except for unique PSP2 games that take advantage of touchscreen/rear touch or are simply too casual of a game, they should be playable on PS3 for the same reason as above, one license gets both games either if bought from PSN or retail (kinda like Portal 2 PS3/PC). They can even do it this way, let's say Uncharted Eye of the Indra is the name of the PSP2 spin off game, I can buy the PSP2 version at retail for U$40, on PSN (PSP2 only) for U$30, PSN (PS3 only) for U$30 or PSN (PSP2 and PS3 versions) for U$40. Think of it like the movie store where they have SD (own - usually U$15), HD (own - usually U$20) and SD&HD (own - usually U$20). The exception would be:

4) Games like Madden, COD, etc...EA, Activision etc like people to buy as many versions of their yearly games as possible and would not accept something like the above/Portal 2 scenario, so the best case in this scenario would be a markup, i.e. I buy the PS3 retail version for U$80 and I get the PSP2 version unlocked for "free". On top of that I should be able to connect my PSP2 to my PS3 and either use it as a controller or just pick my plays from it and hide from my friend who always has a good idea what to expect.

5) The icing on a very delicious cake would be PSTwo Classics and Dreamcast classics. I know there are already PS2 and Dreamcast HD games, but a storefront, with proper presentation and with ports of smaller, more niche games (let's face it, something like Suikoden probably won't get the HD treatment) would be fantastic. They can sell it the same way as I stated in (3), HD(own), SD (own).

I know this is very unrealistic and won't happen, but that's what I think of when I think platform independent. I think Sony probably only means PS1 and Minis though. I believe something like the above, not necessarily exactly like what I described, is what would be the PSP's "Monster Hunter of the west", not COD. I could be wrong, but I don't think COD "Portable Ops" will have the same impact on PSP2 that MH did on PSP.

I know that some people will say that putting PSP2 games on PS3 would defeat the purpose of the machine, but I disagree because I think the PSP2 would sell on its strength (i.e. be able to take your experience on the go, continue your progress when away, connect to a friend's TV and play etc). IMHO, the PSP didn't "fail" because of the premise, it "failed" because of the implementation. On top of that, it can always get games that would not be possible on PS3 and be exclusive to the platform, for example, if L5 ports/makes a Professor Layton for it or some iphone games that rely heavily on the touch screen get ported.

This is probably the last post I make on the PSP2 until after it's shown on the 27th, but if the PSP2 can do what I just described flawlessly and smoothly, I would pay a very high price for it, but just in case Sony is reading, let's say U$249.99 is a fair price :p

Minsc

Gold Member
Russell said:

It will really suck to get a scratch on the handheld, with such a nice screen. I bet they'll sell a lot of cases/screen protectors for this if it has an exposed screen.

I won't use them though, the screens look so much better with nothing on them. Any film/cover will completely negate your blacks as that's when the covers are most noticeable, they tend to disappear when there's a lot of light behind them, but on darker/off screens you can spot every tiny bubble.

Top Bottom