• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 2 Official Thread

xero273

Strider2K99 said:

I wonder if they got rid of the play the entire game with blank weapon achievement. I don't see them in the trophy list, but they could be in the hidden trophy list. Those achievements weren't even secret achievements in the 360 version. Honestly, I really hope they got rid of that achievement. Running through the game so many times became a pain for me.

kuYuri

xero273 said:
I wonder if they got rid of the play the entire game with blank weapon achievement. I don't see them in the trophy list, but they could be in the hidden trophy list. Those achievements weren't even secret achievements in the 360 version. Honestly, I really hope they got rid of that achievement. Running through the game so many times became a pain for me.

They updated those to just perform 1000 kills with said weapons. So you're not forced to use one weapon throughout a playthrough.

Giolon

Loudninja said:
IGN horrible video review is up.
Wow...that was the worst video review I've seen from them. It was barely 90 seconds long...and the best they could come up with for it was "no blood, boo. boobies, yay!".

Shit, pay me. I can do that.

Skilletor

Darkpen said:
Is there a review for this game we can take seriously?
Bah, screw their merger.

I want like, straight up third party cameos that fit the setting, but I guess costumes from Dynasty Warriors is acceptable.

You don't think Samurai fit in a game that includes: ninjas, werewolves, demons, A fighting statue of liberty, and a giant Buddha?

I think they fit right in.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Skilletor said:
You don't think Samurai fit in a game that includes: ninjas, werewolves, demons, A fighting statue of liberty, and a giant Buddha?

I think they fit right in.

Dynasty Warriors = chinese dudes in armors

Chinese dudes = not Samurai

:mad:

I hope the secret achievements are good, because all the other ones suck. Regardless, this is going to be my first platinum. Maybe I can finally make it to trophy level 3 or something.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
iconoclast said:
I hope the secret achievements are good, because all the other ones suck. Regardless, this is going to be my first platinum. Maybe I can finally make it to trophy level 3 or something.

I'm willing to bet the secret achievements will be the exact same as the ones in the 360 version... a bunch of story based ones. It is sort of disconcerting that Path of ____ achievements aren't listed. I suppose, they could be secret, but they weren't in NG2, which is odd.

I guess the easy thing to do would be to just compare the lists and see what's different between them. Blocked at work for me, though.

Skilletor

Totobeni said:
Dynasty Warriors = chinese dudes in armors

Chinese dudes = not Samurai

:mad:

I'm sorry, never paid much attention...but...seriously, what theme is there for NG that ANYTHING randomly thrown in won't fit? :lol

GuardianE said:
I'm willing to bet the secret achievements will be the exact same as the ones in the 360 version... a bunch of story based ones. It is sort of disconcerting that Path of ____ achievements aren't listed. I suppose, they could be secret, but they weren't in NG2, which is odd.

I guess the easy thing to do would be to just compare the lists and see what's different between them. Blocked at work for me, though.

There seem to be pretty big differences between the two. NG2 had a bunch of achievements for killing bosses that weren't secret, and like 9 secret ones for each of the Tests of Valor. It seems most of the trophies in NGS2 so far are "do this a bunch of times," but they're all bronze. I'd say there's gonna be a secret trophy for finishing every ToV, one for each difficulty, maybe one for each side-story (Ayane, Rachel and Momiji), one for collecting all the skulls, one for getting gold on all missions and the rest story-based. Who knows though.

To get all the "Master" achievements in NGS2, it will take 11,000 kills + 1,000 izuna drops and 1,000 guillotine throws. For comparison, a "full" run of Master Ninja in NG2 is 4200+ kills. So it won't be a quick Platinum, that's for sure.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
iconoclast said:
There seem to be pretty big differences between the two. NG2 had a bunch of achievements for killing bosses that weren't secret, and like 9 secret ones for each of the Tests of Valor. It seems most of the trophies in NGS2 so far are "do this a bunch of times," but they're all bronze. I'd say there's gonna be a secret trophy for finishing every ToV, one for each difficulty, maybe one for each side-story (Ayane, Rachel and Momiji), one for collecting all the skulls, one for getting gold on all missions and the rest story-based. Who knows though.

To get all the "Master" achievements in NGS2, it will take 11,000 kills + 1,000 izuna drops and 1,000 guillotine throws. For comparison, a "full" run of Master Ninja in NG2 is 4200+ kills. So it won't be a quick Platinum, that's for sure.

I always found the test of valor achievements stupid, especially since it wasn't obvious to pick up the Rod of Trials on your first playthrough (I had assumed it just opened an area up for me when the candles lit). There shouldn't have been an achievement for every one. So, I agree that there may be a trophy devoted to finishing all of them.

Additionally, there was an achievement for every story chapter except 7? and two for beating each boss twice. There was a lot of filler that could be removed.

As far as the "Master" achievements, assuming there's anything like a Survival Mission mode they wouldn't be too bad. It definitely gets rid of the stress associated with using a particular weapon throughout an entire playthrough.

I actually missed the Rod of Trials on my first play through, so I was like, "oh, I'll just do the Tests of Valor on my Mentor run, no biggie." Needless to say I got the "Continue 100 times" achievement with a quickness. Goddamn ToV1 :lol

That's another one I think will be cut. "Punishment" achievements seems more like an Itagaki thing. DoA4 had what, like five 0GS achievements for getting beat down? :lol

WilyRook

iconoclast said:

We should be able to spam mission mode levels to help with the 1000-kill trophies, yeah? I doubt they'll just count kills from story mode. I'm probably just taking the post too literally, though. It's a lot of dudes to kill either way.

Pimpbaa

Damn, I love the demo. The much improved visuals and additional modes more than makes up for the loss of gore.

Alex

I wish there was a training mode though, I kinda just button mash, especially as Ayane. I'm a bad person. :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Alex said:
I wish there was a training mode though, I kinda just button mash, especially as Ayane. I'm a bad person. :(

All you need to know.

R2 = Block
L2 = Camera reset

SquareTriangle... SquareSqaureSquareTriangle = Inzuna Drop, GODLY
Jump toward Enemy->Triangle->triangle->Triangle = Flying Swallow. Abuse it.

All you need for most enemies, with the exception of bosses.

kay

Rachel has a different costume! Diao Chan.
958890_20090924_screen045.jpg

958890_20090924_screen038.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2009/266/958890_20090924_screen046.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2009/266/958890_20090924_screen048.jpg
Other screens
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2009/266/958890_20090924_screen039.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2009/266/958890_20090924_screen040.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2009/266/958890_20090924_screen049.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2009/266/958890_20090924_screen050.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2009/266/958890_20090924_screen052.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2009/266/958890_20090924_screen062.jpg
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/ninjagaidensigma2/images.html?tag=gallery_summary;image_index

Played the demo today. No slowdown at all for me and tearing was infrequent. No worse than Sigma. Does the entire game take place in a city setting because it's a bit boring visually.

Giolon

Bearillusion said:
Played the demo today. No slowdown at all for me and tearing was infrequent. No worse than Sigma. Does the entire game take place in a city setting because it's a bit boring visually.

About 2/3. Basically you go around the world to a bunch of famous cities.
Tokyo, New York, Venice, Moscow

StuBurns

Banned
Epic Tier 3 Engineer said:
Someone probably asked this already, but is the co-op offline as well as online? And is it just the campaign, or missions?
Just missions and just online for two player coop, otherwise it's solo with AI.

Giolon

I went back to play some Ninja Gaiden 2 right on the heels of Sigma 2, and wow I am far less excited about Sigma 2 now. The average encounter (on Warrior difficulty) has gone from approx 6 ninjas down to 4, and it seems they've been given additional health to make up for it. Additionally, the blood, while overdone, really adds to the feeling that you're doing damage to your foes. Plus, when they've lost a limb, it's easier to tell because the wound stays bright red, whereas in Sigma 2 it sort of just blends into their outfit once the purple mist is gone. For some reason, the original version seems to play smoother...

Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to keep my pre-order and I'm looking forward to the new content, but damn...my excitement level just dropped a lot.

Kai Ozu

I don’t know I was hoping someone would shed some light on that. Either way, it got me to pre-order the Japanese version of this game.

Just went back to Sigma 1 (currently up to chapter 18) after playing the Sigma 2 demo and I think S1 looks better. Maybe it's the setting. S2 is a lot of fun though.

DR2K

Banned
Bearillusion said:
Just went back to Sigma 1 (currently up to chapter 18) after playing the Sigma 2 demo and I think S1 looks better. Maybe it's the setting. S2 is a lot of fun though.

Graphically? I recently played Sigma(by recent I mean a couple of weeks ago), and this is false in just about every way imaginable.

Giolon said:
and the best they could come up with for it was "no blood, boo. boobies, yay!".

I thought this was a joke :lol

Absolutely horrible review. Σ2 has about the same amount of blood as Σ, the purple mist adds to the illusion that there's less than there actually is.

DR2K said:
Graphically? I recently played Sigma(by recent I mean a couple of weeks ago), and this is false in just about every way imaginable.

I guess I just prefer the setting of NGS. NGS2 is a blast though from what I've played of the demo.

I like the DW costumes for Rachel, Ryu and Momiji. Ayane's looks pretty bad because the orange/yellow clashes with her hair. Oh well.

Kai Ozu said:
Ryu in Shin Sangoku Musou Multi Raid Special PS3 version
pics

I was looking at these screens for a minute wondering why the game looks like shit all of a sudden, until I read the text above it :lol

Ryu in DW was inevitable though. I'd love to play as him in one.

DR2K

Banned
Bearillusion said:
I guess I just prefer the setting of NGS. NGS2 is a blast though from what I've played of the demo.

Well if it makes you feel any better the setting will change, every chapter will be completely different.

karasu

Ryu is so stylishly destructive.

What's wity the awesome ass moves the baddies have? Dude was lying on his stomach and he pulled me down and stabbed me in the chest before hitting me with an explosive of some sort. It was tough!

at the risk of being shallow....am i the only one who thinks the combat is a lot less visceral and satisfying now without teh blood and gore?

I mean game still looks good but i expected more.

Top Bottom