• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 2 Official Thread

Tom Penny

Another review

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=223732

So, the PS3 exclusive additions are a mixed bag. If you're a multi-format man and have already blitzed through the game, you'll love the co-op mode, but unless you're the type who calls their first child Ryu (second one Ayane) and wears ninja socks to bed, we can't recommend a re-buy. However, so few people bought NG2 first time around, this isn't much of an issue. Sigma 2 is the purest, most hardcore fighting game on PS3 - no doubt. The action betters the likes of Devil May Cry 4, Heavenly Sword, and - from what we've seen - God of War 3. However, if you're looking for a rich game world, or a plot that actually explains how you can be biking down a mountainside one minute and fighting a giant flaming armadillo the next, look elsewhere. If you want to feel like a badass ninja, have a great time slicing stuff up, and don't mind a challenge, this is an essential purchase.

Kyoufu

I just watched the PSblog interview/walkthrough video. HOLY SHIT YOU CAN RECORD YOUR MISSIONS?????!!?!?!

Hayashi = Master Ninja

CcrooK said:
It's just God. He isn't even real anyway so...
Fair enough.

Still, though. Please don't shit up this thread with trolling.

Kyoufu said:
I just watched the PSblog interview/walkthrough video. HOLY SHIT YOU CAN RECORD YOUR MISSIONS?????!!?!?!

Hayashi = Master Ninja
You could do this in the original as well. Ninja Cinema. It was very glitchy though.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
kallisto76 said:

Eurogamer review score, I'm shocked! ;)

Looking forward to this game.

So, the PS3 exclusive additions are a mixed bag. If you're a multi-format man and have already blitzed through the game, you'll love the co-op mode, but unless you're the type who calls their first child Ryu (second one Ayane) and wears ninja socks to bed, we can't recommend a re-buy. However, so few people bought NG2 first time around, this isn't much of an issue. Sigma 2 is the purest, most hardcore fighting game on PS3 - no doubt. The action betters the likes of Devil May Cry 4, Heavenly Sword, and - from what we've seen - God of War 3. However, if you're looking for a rich game world, or a plot that actually explains how you can be biking down a mountainside one minute and fighting a giant flaming armadillo the next, look elsewhere. If you want to feel like a badass ninja, have a great time slicing stuff up, and don't mind a challenge, this is an essential purchase.

They are knocking God of War 3 already? "From what we've seen." Seemed really unnecessary to put that in there...

I'm personally expecting 9+ scores for God of War 3. If not I'll be disappointed, or I won't care and buy it and enjoy it anyway.

USD

rainking187 said:
Has anyone heard anything about the install size for this game and if it's mandatory?
The install is mandatory (considering the performance of NGII, that's a good thing). Don't know about the size though.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Thunderbear said:
Eurogamer review score, I'm shocked! ;)

Looking forward to this game.

They are knocking God of War 3 already? "From what we've seen." Seemed really unnecessary to put that in there...

I'm personally expecting 9+ scores for God of War 3. If not I'll be disappointed, or I won't care and buy it and enjoy it anyway.

I'm not surprised. Its a big exclusive game so some reviewers feel the need to knock those titles even with little or no info on them.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
_dementia said:
I remember watching a replay on the leaderboards automatically unlocked six mission mode related achievements for me in the 360 version. :lol

Woah! Which replay is this and where do I get it!? :lol

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Playing the demo over again and man I am loving the kusari-gama weapon. Never thought I'd be playing ninja gaiden 2 on ps3.

Giolon

I just remembered...
Ayane is supposed to be like 14 in the events of NG/NGS, since she's 16 in DOA...

Now NG2/NGS2 doesn't take place all that much afterwards...so you're telling me this is a 14-16 year old?

bwmyr.jpg

Doc Evils

Giolon said:
I just remembered...
Ayane is supposed to be like 14 in the events of NG/NGS, since she's 16 in DOA...

Now NG2/NGS2 doesn't take place all that much afterwards...so you're telling me this is a 14-16 year old?

bwmyr.jpg

Is it me or did they enhance her boobs from NG2?

Kyoufu said:

Hayashi = Master Ninja
That would be Itagaki/Old Team Ninja with the assistance of Microsoft.

kay said:
Install is 3.3GB.
I'm fine with that if it helps to improve things in addition to the expected optimizations.

Is it just me or was anyone else expecting more blood and gore in the demo. When I dismember or decapitate someone, I expect blood not purple smoke. I remember when NG 2 came out everyone was talking about the blood, did they nerf it for Σ2 ?

Giolon said:
I just remembered...

welcome to fiction, enjoy your stay!

rvy

Banned
TheBrain76 said:
Is it just me or was anyone else expecting more blood and gore in the demo. When I dismember or decapitate someone, I expect blood not purple smoke. I remember when NG 2 came out everyone was talking about the blood, did they nerf it for Σ2 ?
image_ninja_gaiden_2-8434-900_0006.jpg

image_ninja_gaiden_sigma_2-11197-1803_0005.jpg

Purple mist of doooooooooooooooooooooooooom. :lol

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Thunderbear said:

That is ridiculous, they haven't even played the game and they're already calling this one better. I see something like that as bias or at the very least poor writing.

Downloaded the jp demo earlier today. It's definitely a cool game and seems to be better presented than the first one. I'll definitely look into this when it releases.

Aaron

msdstc said:
That is ridiculous, they haven't even played the game and they're already calling this one better. I see something like that as bias or at the very least poor writing.
They have played GoW3. They just haven't finished it, as is obvious from saying 'so far.' It's a stupid dig regardless.

After the demo of Sigma 2, I miss the blood, but I like the overall look of this more, and the extra content is pretty sweet.

Am I considered a bitch by the developers if I play on the middle of the three difficulties?

And does it look like they've fixed the camera from the original NGII? Played the demo and it was still all over the place at times...

TheBrain76 said:
As you can see in that image above it has been toned down considerably. This has been a sore topic for many months now and is likely to remain a sticking point with some. Keep in mind though, we're all playing the Japanese demo and the releases in many other territories will have a bit more gore on display.

Danielsan

DevelopmentArrested said:
So is this game easier than NG2 on 360 and are the camera angles less jacked?
If the demo is representative of the full game then:

Yes the game is easier (way easier actually).
The game throws far fewer enemies at you at a time (not sure how I feel about this) and the clawed ninjas in red no longer spam you with exploding shurikens every fucking second (easy but fantastic improvement).

The camera appears slightly improved but don't expect it to be very different.

I've been playing the demo a ton and switching between it and the 360 version.

My conclusions so far based on the demo:
The good
+ Graphics look so much better
+ Rebalancing of enemy a.i
+ Added characters, weapons, enemies and modes

The bad
- More screentearing
- More apparent framerate issues (the part before the boss on mentor is especially bad)
- No more than 4 enemies on screen at a time? (not sure)
- Toned down gore

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
im quite a NG fan, but if they cant give me a game free of tearing and framerate drops
(it felt like slow motion at times) im not buying.... well not full price...

they had a whole god damn year to optimise, it was an already finished game, bah! back to NGS1 :(

Pachinko

you know, it's highly possible the full game won't have as many instances of slowdown and tearing, as I recall the demo for NG2 on xbox 360 had more issues in this regard then the final product.

Course, on the flipside, tearing/framerate/loading issues were a pretty big problem in the first sigma so unless they rebuilt that engine from scratch , chances are high that'd still be a problem.

-Amon-

Been playing the jp demo a lot in the last days, and im liking it a lot. I would really like to know if decaps and dismemberments are present or not in EU retail version.

Any real info about this ?

Great OP. After playing the demo this is definitely my most wanted game this year. I loved it on 360 and it seems like they have made a ton of improvements. The 29th cant get here soon enough.

Just started Ayane's part of the demo and DAMN is her wall run stylish. Spinning while running on a wall just seems so unnecessary that it's awesome.

Top Bottom