• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II: The Official GAF Thread of Chaos

Pachinko

I can't really blame itagaki for any of this games faults. I blame tecmo 100%, the fact is they owed the guy 3 years worth of bonus paycheques and told him to quit or sue if he didn't like it so he did both and then they fired him before his 2 months notice were even up and well he didn't even get a chance to try and fix whatever was wrong with his game , someone else at tecmo is now responsible for adding /fixing content in it and they are doing a piss poor job.

I mean how hard is it to have the game auto update and simply remove that last patch? don't PC games do it all the time? out of the 400,000+ gamers that picked this up and I can 100,000 of them returning the game en masse to eb/gamestop all over complaining it doesn't work becuase well, there's no way to know how to clear the cache to remove a patch without the internet telling you how to do it.

what exactly does the patch do? if it resolves performance issues, then i'm waiting until they get this all straightened out before digging into this.

sennin

I just got it recently, made it to Mission 3, played it patched, and wham! After shooting down some ugly wings, the game froze on me. Other than this fatal bug, I noticed lag/stuttering during a chapter 2 orgy fight. The whole screen just froze for 2~3 seconds, then the chaos resumed. If this is how Sigma played, Itagaki's criticism of that team's non perfectionist standards can be equally applied to him and his loyalists.

First impressions aren't good. If this game's technical problems aren't ironed out to perfection after a year, it is back to playing NG Black on my original Xbox, and I'll join the detractors in pretending this game never existed.

Mamesj

Banned
Hesemonni said:
The next time somebody gets to interview Itagaki, I would really like him/her to ask Itagaki what made him flush down everything that made the first game awesome down the crapper.

I really can't bring myself to finish this mess of a game.

At some point while developing it, he said "hmmm, where's my million dollars?" then decided to coast the rest of the way. I can't bring myself to do a second playthrough...went back to Black and DMC4 instead :D

fernoca

Great..
Just as I was wondering why the fudge I can't continue playing right after the ..2 fucking-dillos...geeze..
Not only was I killed everytime by the explosion of the first one..but when I managed finally to beat them both, the game crashed during the next "green light" cutscene...

So, I have tp fight them again..go back..save the game..return..and the game crashes again on the same part..

Remove the game..restart..reload the save..the game crashes again on the same part..

:mad:
This..and Cheapcalibur IV are getting on my nerves.. :/

sennin

So I decided to clear the 360's cache, play it unpatched, and I still get a freeze. The latest case is in chapter 4, just as Ryu enters the Statue of Liberty. Just right after breaking a display case and proceeding to pick up the yellow item inside, the game gave me a 2 minute+ loading screen. I'm witnessing quality assurance at its finest no less; both patched and unpatched NG 2 are giving me technical issues. If this is Itagaki's swan song at Tecmo, I hear toads croaking loudly during this blatant cacophony.

NG2 is fast becoming 2008's disappointment of the year. There is really a nice expansion pack underneath all this buggy fiasco and the first game was flawless (If there were bugs in NG 1, I never caught them, and I definitely did not experience a single crash or freeze). Why can't Team Ninja put ego aside, which is such a catalyst for complacency, and push for perfection in part deux of their magnum opus?

bob_arctor said:
Your loss.
LOL!

There is nothing to gain in beating Ninja Gaiden II. Ninja Gaiden Black is 10x better than Ninja Gaiden II.

Bodom78 said:
Clearing the cache allowed me to finish it and let me just say, awesome end credits!
Best part of the game, in my opinion.

I wonder if they're ever going to re-release the mission mode? I never got a chance to try it out. :\

sennin said:
So I decided to clear the 360's cache, play it unpatched, and I still get a freeze. The latest case is in chapter 4, just as Ryu enters the Statue of Liberty. Just right after breaking a display case and proceeding to pick up the yellow item inside, the game gave me a 2 minute+ loading screen. I'm witnessing quality assurance at its finest no less; both patched and unpatched NG 2 are giving me technical issues. If this is Itagaki's swan song at Tecmo, I hear toads croaking loudly during this blatant cacophony.

NG2 is fast becoming 2008's disappointment of the year. There is really a nice expansion pack underneath all this buggy fiasco and the first game was flawless (If there were bugs in NG 1, I never caught them, and I definitely did not experience a single crash or freeze). Why can't Team Ninja put ego aside, which is such a catalyst for complacency, and push for perfection in part deux of their magnum opus?

I never had so much freezing problems in the game. May be your 360 dying.

sennin

memecomplex said:
I never had so much freezing problems in the game. May be your 360 dying.

I'm still playing Operation Darkness, VF 5, Bioshock, GTA IV and Naruto on a semi-regular basis (within the last 2 months) and not a single lockup/freeze occurred. You want to try again?

MCD

actually, i had 2 loading freezing problems where the loading sign doesn't go.

one in the first chapter, before the sonia getting bitch slapped cutscene and the other in chapter 10 before the boss.

thankfully, both had save points before them and it was fixed by reloading my save file.

i think the first patch fixed it but now all we have is this broken shit of a patch.

Arch

Kingpen said:
clear your cache (System blade, highlight HD icon, XX LB RB XX, then hit yes to confirm)

Then simply don't download any patches for the game... Problem solved until they issue a new patch next week.

I'm slowly making my way through the game as I've been really busy as of late, but does this work for the spot in Chapter 10 (right when you walk up to the pyramid and trigger a cutscene) where it freezes?

fernoca

Aww.. :(
Thought this was bumped, with "Hey, new patch for download"!!.. :( ..

I'm waiting for the update to finish the game..
Have the game saved right before the last door..knowing how much I suck..I want to finish it only oen time and upload the score..since it's the only game..even on Acolyte...that my firends haven't finished because it's too difficult...

Great game anyway.

Arch

fernoca said:
Aww.. :(
Thought this was bumped, with "Hey, new patch for download"!!.. :( ..

I'm waiting for the update to finish the game..
Have the game saved right before the last door..knowing how much I suck..I want to finish it only oen time and upload the score..since it's the only game..even on Acolyte...that my firends haven't finished because it's too difficult...

Great game anyway.

Sorry :(

Azar

Arch said:
I'm slowly making my way through the game as I've been really busy as of late, but does this work for the spot in Chapter 10 (right when you walk up to the pyramid and trigger a cutscene) where it freezes?
Yes it does.

sennin said:
I'm still playing Operation Darkness, VF 5, Bioshock, GTA IV and Naruto on a semi-regular basis (within the last 2 months) and not a single lockup/freeze occurred. You want to try again?

The disc is obviously scratched.

Bebpo said:
So I finally got around to playing this (for reals) as I hadn't gotten that far when MGS4 came out and got distracted by a bunch of stuff.

I figured I would try to beat it before I start Vesperia tomorrow. It was going argh argh fun fun argh argh good until I hit chapter 10 this morning. I got to a cutscene that looking at the faq is right before the gold dragon fight and it froze. So I went off for the day and figured I'd give it another shot tonight...and it froze at the same spot.

The cutscene is unskippable so I can't just skip past it and it freezes at the same spot everytime. It's right when you get to the temple and here is a pic I took at where it is frozen:
ng2.jpg

I don't know what to do. I want to finish THE GAME but it seems there is no way to do that right now. Maybe this is fate telling me to move on to Vesperia. :\

And here I thought it might be a disk problem of some sort.

I'll be waiting for the patch then...

Finished the game last week, and had to clear the cache and ignore the patch to do so. The game wouldn't upload my final numbers though after that, so my online karma score is not as high as was indicated in the game. No big deal really though.

I've started playing the game over again, as I went right by the rod of trials last time and didn't get to do them. I'm amazed at how much easier it is on a second play through. I don't think I died once through the first five or six levels, and only ran into a challenge on some of the later trials, which can be a pain in the ass depending on who you are fighting.

Not sure if I'll play it through on Mentor or not. There are so many games on the horizon soon that I probably won't revisit this one a third time.

fernoca

Barkley's Justice said:
so any idea on how many units this sold? brick? coal?
At least in the US...
NPD June 2008 said:
01. PS3 METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUN OF THE PATRIOTS KONAMI 774.6K (Does not include bundles with PS3 hardware)
02. NDS GUITAR HERO ON TOUR ACTIVISION 422.3K
03. 360 NINJA GAIDEN II MICROSOFT 372.7K
04. WII FIT W/BALANCE BOARD NINTENDO OF AMERICA 372.7K
05. WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA 359.1K
06. 360 BATTLEFIELD: BAD COMPANY ELECTRONIC ARTS 346.8K
07. WII MARIO KART W/WHEEL NINTENDO OF AMERICA 322.4K
08. WII LEGO INDIANA JONES: THE ORIGINAL ADVENTURE LUCASARTS 294.5K
09. NDS LEGO INDIANA JONES: THE ORIGINAL ADVENTURE LUCASARTS 267.8K
10. PS2 LEGO INDIANA JONES: THE ORIGINAL ADVENTURE LUCASARTS 260.3K
From June 2008 NPD.
Though it wasn't in the Top 10 in the July NPD results...
along with half of those 10 games...

Oreoleo

a Master Ninja said:
We need updates about the update. What is the hold up?

Yeah this is pretty unacceptable. I haven't touched the game for the past two weeks or so now because of all the crap that's going on.

Pachinko

So After sitting on it for a couple more weeks I went back and played through chapter 12/13 and made it to the final boss basically... unfortunatly after dying 15 + times thinking there's no way they would have designed the final boss to be killed off in such a retarded way I gave up and searched gamefaqs to see what it was I was doing wrong and promptly smacked my head. I mean I think the last save point in the game requires me to go through the hallway of demons and do battle with dagra dai again (not that I found him to be THAT hard) only so I can try to fight the end boss properly.

It's also a bit annoying to me that thanks to these horrible patches I can't upload my scores but whatever, I can deal.

If I had to do a review/comparison right now it'd be as follows-

Ninja Gaiden 2 on the xbox 360 is a great action game hampered by enough bugs and design issues to keep it from being the superb hallmark title it really should have been. The trifectica of Ninja Gaiden and NG black along with NG sigma on the ps3 are all far more polished products then this and it's a damn shame because many elements of this game could have been fixed with just 3 or 4 more months in the oven. These issues include :
-A camera that's just flat out worse then the allready finicky one found in the original game, the problem is 2fold here though. First the camera just doesn't seem as good at giving you a nice angle on the action and more importantly this is due to levels that often times simply aren't built AROUND the way the camera works. In the 3 versions of NG there were very few times where you were stuck in super tight spaces and had to deal with enemies , the game was designed moreso with large hallways and arenas/giant rooms for fighting. NG2 has alot of indoor environments and for whatever reason also contains lots of tight winding hallways . So to often throughout the games 14 stages you'll find that even constant use of the "see" button will fail to help you see what it is you're fighting. With a little more play testing some of the levels could have been tweaked to have "fighting areas" thrown about them to avoid having combat occur in cramped quarters as well as perhaps having a camera that pans out a little bit more to show a better view of the enemies you're fighting.
-gameplay balance is the second issue, the AI in NG2 simply isn't as well made as it was in the first ninja gaiden. It tries to cope with this problem by throwing double the number of badguys at you simultaniously but all this does is , especially later in the game, turn the screen into a mess of special effects that coupled with the camera/stage design issues make it almost impossible to tell what the hell you're even looking at. Fortunatly when the stage design co-operates and the enemies generate in an adequete variety it's way more intense then the first game ever got. The other balance issue is that most of the bosses flat out suck. I think of NG1 and there wasn't really a bad boss in the whole lot , they all had well done AI , decent attack patterns and tried and true strategies to defeat them. This second one seems to suffer from "sequalitis" in this area, they've added way more boss battles and created some interesting looking enemies but many of them aren't fun to fight at all or are defeated by simply getting close and mashing. Genshin was the closest thing this whole game had to a good boss but even Murai from the original game had a bit more thought. NG2 has downright terrible bosses like the subway facerobot, water dragon, firey armadillo and twin dragon battle. NG1 had no downright terrible bosses.
-going on a similar note to these first 2, let's focus on the stages themselves. There were a few downright awesome levels in NG2-hayabusa village, about half of the 2 new york stages, about half of the 2 venice levels, the airship, the entire cavern area especially the pyramid and a portion of the last couple stages in the game works . So why was all that other stuff even in the game? Sky city tokyo should have been a 15 minute stage, have ryu fight on the rooftops quickly and instead of jumping through scaffolding and office space, he simply leaps off the top of building A and smashes into building B, runs through a small foyer area and a cutscene shows him ascend to that rooftop where he fights a bunch of enemies and finally the boss- exit to stage 2 which could be trimmed down in length by 20% or so , then just make new york 1 level with no subway section, have ryu go from downtown and wind up on the bridge almost immediatly , cutscene to the statue of liberty island, a short combat area, a very quick ascend to the top and battle with alexei. cutscene explaining why you wind up in venice, have everything up to the fountain intact then cut out the entire underground section, water dragon boss, water running battles and go straight to the castle, leave it mostly intact and finally have the volf fight the exit to the next stage -airship leave it it 100% the same except for the armadillo fight at the end, drop that. I could go on like this but I'll stop there , basically the game is nearly twice as big as it really needs to be, I'd rather they cut all the poor stuff and just leave the good , it'd make it more consistent.

Finally the last of my complaints aside from the well known bugs riddled throughout the product is the overuse of projectile weapons. It's all well and good to have winged enemies that you gotta shoot arrows at, it's also fine that you can charge the bow now but having to stop and aim really slows down the action far more then the game ever should slow down. I propose that the arrows should simply auto track an enemy and charging an arrow takes 1 second instead of 3. This simple change would get rid of ALL the problems with long ranged attacking, the bow would be more of a super weapon of sorts so to compensate for this you'd only be able to hold 15 arrows instead of 30 and you'd only get more arrows off corpses which would only be in areas that you HAVE to use the bow in.

Pretty well everything I can say that's bad/poor about ninja gaiden 2 can be summed up by the fact that the game was rushed and unpolished. It's a shame because when it's good it's better then the first but when it's bad it's almost terrible. Despite all this bitching were I to score it based on the popular review websites scoring schemes it'd get a solid B or an 8/10. For reference I'd rate the original NG a 9, black a 10 and sigma a 9.

marwan

Banned
im on level 15 on NG2, good game, but no where near as good as NG1.....i'm getting bored it already and can't wait to finish it. I'll go back and play NG1 remake on the PS3.

anyone feel the same way? ...i also wonder what is going to happen to NG3 now that Itagaki left Tecmo.

still no word on a patch for this? i'm going to end up taking it back (it's still sealed) and get infinite undiscovery or something... c'mon microsoft/team ninja. fix your damn game!!!

Kai Ozu

MikeHaggar said:
still no word on a patch for this? i'm going to end up taking it back (it's still sealed) and get infinite undiscovery or something... c'mon microsoft/team ninja. fix your damn game!!!
NO ONE IS EVEN WORKING AT TECMO RIGHT NOW! GOD DAMNIT!

marwan said:
im on level 15 on NG2, good game, but no where near as good as NG1.....i'm getting bored it already and can't wait to finish it. I'll go back and play NG1 remake on the PS3.

anyone feel the same way? ...i also wonder what is going to happen to NG3 now that Itagaki left Tecmo.
Yes. Ninja Gaiden II isn't even close to the quality of Ninja Gaiden: Black.

MikeHaggar said:
At this rate, I don't think a patch is ever going to happen.

Oh well, I guess.

I've played Black briefly but my attention span wasn't anything to speak of back then but I am very intrigued by this, despite the freezing issues. So I am curious what the differences between the two are in terms of gameplay? Which is the better experience? Which is the real ninja gaiden?

I also enjoy satire so the plot will not detract from what I've read in the OP.

Llyranor

Unlike most who've posted in the last page, I personally NG2 a lot lot more than Black. Black in general is more polished, but overall I didn't have any problems with 2's technical problems here and there. I also found that many of my gripes with the first game (many will disagree) much much improved. The camera didn't get in my way, more or less on par (but it seems to control a little better to me) with Black's. Archery is a lot lot better. I *hated* it in the first game, but here it was even enjoyable at times (charging, jump-shooting, makes it more convenient). Now, granted, you'll need to use it more often in the sequel (again many bosses). Also, I found the water levels a lot less infuriating. Awkward platforming didn't get in the way.

Now, in terms of combat itself, NGB I guess is more 'defensive'. You focus on blocking, dodging, and then striking back at opportune times. NG2 seems a lot more focused on the offensive. You get a lot more enemies thrown at you, and you just tear them all to pieces. It's more about identifying threats and knowing who to target first (unlimbed opponents, mages, archers, etc). Of course, just button-mashing and not blocking/dashing will still get you killed. I personally enjoy the combat in NG2 more. Boss-wise, people would argue that Black's were a lot better than 2's. While I won't disagree that 2's bosses weren't anything particularly special, I can't say I found Black's to be that fulfilling, either. They were okay in both games.

Overall, I'd easily put NG2 on my GOTY candidate list. There's a demo; try that.
(the plot is fine/irrelevant, doesn't get in the way)

Oh! My Car! said:
So I am curious what the differences between the two are in terms of gameplay?
It's quite simple, really. One sucks, and the other is one of the greatest action games ever made. (Ninja Gaiden II is not one of the greatest action games ever made.)

Which is the better experience? Which is the real ninja gaiden?
Ninja Gaiden: Black

fernoca said:
Stop bumping this!!! :(
I will.

Vish

Banned
Just got the game and I am on the 4th chapter now on Path of the Warrior.

This is game is really easy right now, but I am sure that I will be challenged soon enough?

Vish said:
Just got the game and I am on the 4th chapter now on Path of the Warrior.

This is game is really easy right now, but I am sure that I will be challenged soon enough?
Not necessarily. Overall, Path of the Warrior is easier than NGB's Normal.

Feindflug

Llyranor said:
Unlike most who've posted in the last page, I personally NG2 a lot lot more than Black. Black in general is more polished, but overall I didn't have any problems with 2's technical problems here and there. I also found that many of my gripes with the first game (many will disagree) much much improved. The camera didn't get in my way, more or less on par (but it seems to control a little better to me) with Black's. Archery is a lot lot better. I *hated* it in the first game, but here it was even enjoyable at times (charging, jump-shooting, makes it more convenient). Now, granted, you'll need to use it more often in the sequel (again many bosses). Also, I found the water levels a lot less infuriating. Awkward platforming didn't get in the way.

Now, in terms of combat itself, NGB I guess is more 'defensive'. You focus on blocking, dodging, and then striking back at opportune times. NG2 seems a lot more focused on the offensive. You get a lot more enemies thrown at you, and you just tear them all to pieces. It's more about identifying threats and knowing who to target first (unlimbed opponents, mages, archers, etc). Of course, just button-mashing and not blocking/dashing will still get you killed. I personally enjoy the combat in NG2 more. Boss-wise, people would argue that Black's were a lot better than 2's. While I won't disagree that 2's bosses weren't anything particularly special, I can't say I found Black's to be that fulfilling, either. They were okay in both games.

Overall, I'd easily put NG2 on my GOTY candidate list. There's a demo; try that.

This man speaks the truth, Ninja Gaiden 2 is the best action game evar IMO - sure it has flaws and it's not as polished as Black but the gameplay is top-notch.

U K Narayan said:
At this rate, I don't think a patch is ever going to happen.

According to IGN Team Ninja is working on a new patch to fix the freezing problem.

Teknoman

Good, because I havent touched NG II in quite sometime now...

Is the patch just going to fix the freeze issue or other things as well?

Vanish

wait what exactly causes the problems? i got the game back in june, beat it, and stopped playing until last week when i started beating on mentor difficulty. so far, ive had no problems. right now im up to chapter 13. anything i should be worried about?

Llyranor said:

Thanks, that's very informative! I'll give the demo a spin.

Feindflug

Teknoman said:
Good, because I havent touched NG II in quite sometime now...

Is the patch just going to fix the freeze issue or other things as well?

The new patch is supposed to fix the freezing problems (in the 10th and 14th levels), I don't know about frame-rate/slowdown fixes...the latest patch which is the second patch at least according to my experience with the game it causes some frame-rate problems that weren't present with the game unpatched (particularly in the second level in
the dragon statue "puzzle"
).

According to some guys here in neogaf the first patch was the best with no freezing problems and also some slowdown fixes/frame-rate improvements.

Right, So i am not alone with this chapter 10 crashing. It's ridiculous. The game is so sweet as well and I can't continue because of stupid cutscene freezes. What's the word on the patch?

dabookerman said:
Right, So i am not alone with this chapter 10 crashing. It's ridiculous. The game is so sweet as well and I can't continue because of stupid cutscene freezes. What's the word on the patch?

Nothing. If you just want to play, clear the cache. I got fed up after a month so I don't mind that my scores won't show up on the leaderboards.

But seriously at this point, we deserve something for this delay. The mission pack should become free and those who bought it should get a refund. Or the costume pack or something. This is just terrible customer service.

Top Bottom