• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Theory are very good at face modeling

Violet_0

Banned
Dante looks like a Final Fantasy-reject in the first picture compared to the photo-realistic approach of the character in the second one

ShadowLag

Ninja Theory is one of my favorites seemingly out of nowhere. I didn't get a PS3 at launch so I never touched Heavenly Sword, and I never played Enslaved or whatever other games they've made before DmC. But since I'm a DMC fan I had to try the reboot. I was very happy with the results, and frankly blown away by the work from the art teams, level designers, and animators. DmC 2 plz.

Guess Who

Banned
Dante looks like a Final Fantasy-reject in the first picture compared to the photo-realistic approach of the character in the second one

His face is pretty well modeled on the actor, I thought.

tim-phillipps-2.jpg

Replicant

Dante finally has a face with personality.
A mug that doesn't seem squeezed out of the generic anime tube of randomly attributed features that still fall in line with what Capcom thinks an attractive caucasian male should look like.

Yeah...NOPE. Dante from DMC4 is what I consider a hot, masculine caucasian male. It's the kind of guys I'd pick if I were to hook up. I wouldn't even touch Dante from DmC with a 10 foot pole.

MYE

Consider this:

As of DmC? They're better than Team Ninja and Sony SM.

Yes. DmC is much better than God of War.

I will also never understand how stuff like Uncharted (basically a linear set-piece game that takes control from you all the time with tripping animations and endless scripted events to show off environment detail plus forced shit traversal controls between waves of bullet sponges), is considered the best shit since the lightbulb... yet a studio that releases Enslaved and DmC is the target of so much fucking pure bile and animosity you would think its responsible for starving children in Africa.

abadguy

Banned
Not surprised bitter Devil May Cry fans would shit up the thread in the first post.

Sorry to burst your babbule but people saw Ninja Theory as shit waaaaay before DmC happened. All that game did was solidify their place as a shit dev. Also their Dante design looked like something you'd see in a movie adaptation of one of those "young adult fiction" novels like Twilight.

Guess Who

Banned
Well, d'oh? He's basically a mish mash of Caucasian and Japanese design. But at least he's not a self-projected twink created by NT designer.

And... neither is DmC Dante. So sick of hearing this bullshit. I even posted the guy who DmC Dante is modeled after (who is also his voice and mocap actor) on this very page.

Well, d'oh? He's basically a mish mash of Caucasian and Japanese design. But at least he's not a self-projected twink created by NT designer.

You keep throwing out the word "twink" like it might not be found offensive to some people. Everyone's getting all PC lately, better watch it...haha.

I never played Heavenly Sword or Enslaved but I found DmC to be an interesting take on the franchise with decent, if a bit easy, gameplay. PC version is awesome. And the
Bob Barbas
fight is certainly memorable.

Replicant

i'm done here.

image.php

You keep throwing out the word "twink" like it might not be found offensive to some people. Everyone's getting all PC lately, better watch it...haha.

That's because some people are arguing that DmC Dante is more masculine (or better designed) than DMC4 Dante, which is a load of rubbish. If it were that good, his design wouldn't have caused so much outrage within the gaming community. Many thinks the redesign looks crap. Also, Twinks are normally not associated with masculinity sorry to say. But I do understand that some people are attracted to them.

MYE

OG Dante isn't even caucasian, come on y'all.

Slap a white wig

2596306-dante_devil_may_cry_4_devil_may_cry_543988_885_720.jpeg

Slap a blond wig

IyUb1YU.jpg

Generic pretty boy with squinty eyes, chiseled chin and straight noses. Capcom and Square Enix make a living cranking these out.

Yeah...NOPE. Dante from DMC4 is what I consider a hot, masculine caucasian male. It's the kind of guys I'd pick if I were to hook up. I wouldn't even touch Dante from DmC with a 10 foot pole.

heh

Replicant

The Ninja Theory people should move over to Naughty Dog, they have that story telling mentality.

Ew, God No. ND actually understand how to design good-looking male and female characters. And oh, their gameplay also 10 x more interesting. There's a good reason why Sony ditched NT like a dirty rag after that game with the red-hair sword-carrying girl.

abadguy

Banned
The Ninja Theory people should move over to Naughty Dog, they have that story telling mentality.

No they actually don't. Heavenly Sword and Enslaved had decent stories because they were outsourced.
(to Rhianna Pratchett and Alex Garland respectively) when NT does there own writing you get DmC. Which was "They Live" but "edgy".

Village

They are, That is something I will give them.

Not surprised bitter Devil May Cry fans would shit up the thread in the first post.

They kind of shat up their threads by being company with 1 good game. For the OG xbox, the rest being not as good versions of action games that already exist.

Kade

Ew, God No. ND actually understand how to design good-looking male and female characters. And oh, their gameplay also 10 x more interesting. There's a good reason why Sony ditched NT like a dirt rag after that game with the red-hair sword-carrying girl.

You need to find something that's worth getting offended/upset/angry about. All this passion and you're wasting it on video game forum debates about which version of a shitty character is hottest.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
You need to find something that's worth getting offended/upset/angry about. All this passion and you're wasting it on video game forum debates.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being passionate about video games.

You'd expect someone on Gaf would feel the same way.

sleepykyo

They are.

No. Both Heavenly Sword and Enslaved as bad as they were, came out with outsourced writers trying to salvage NT's drivel. Make it SquareEnix and Tomb Raider, they've already worked with Rhianna Prachett (on Heavenly Sword) and Tomb Raider is already a summer teen slasher.

If their characters this gen had looked like dudes that work in an office trying to live vicariously through Old Navy commercials, LL Bean catalogs, Lost reruns, Great Clips coupons and doing minor repairs around the house, they'd already be Naughty Dog.

I'll keep saying it.

Please Ninja theory, try another genre....stop making action games....you suck at it.

Y-Yea thats more or less how I feel, although I have played too many awful character action games to get viciously offended over NTs offerings, Its all just so painfully average from a character action perspective. I don't have anything to say about art/story though.

Mesoian

NT is definitely the best in the business as far as character modeling and acting is concerned. Beyond: two Souls has fantastic character modeling but it still doesn't come even remotely close to anything in Enslaved.

It's that Andy Serkis influence. They have the brains behind the best cg cutscenes in cinema, forget video games.

With DMC in particular, I wish Capcom had simply used them for their strongest abilities instead of leaving the entire game up to them. Even if they were purely in charge of all narrative, story and art direction, there's no reason why they couldn't have had Itsuno's team working on combat direction, level design, AI building...I mean, other than the fact that he was busy with Dragon's Dogma at the time.

NT is VERY good when it comes to their strengths. But they don't have people who can do it all. Everyone should work with them for narrative design.

Replicant

You need to find something that's worth getting offended/upset/angry about. All this passion and you're wasting it on video game forum debates about which version of a shitty character is hottest.

LOL, if that comment is what you considered serious/angry comment then you haven't seen much of GAF.

I am, however, passionate about character design though. And I think NT's character design is not that good like some folks here think.

ButchCat

No they actually don't. Heavenly Sword and Enslaved had decent stories because they were outsourced.
(to Rhianna Pratchett and Alex Garland respectively) when NT does there own writing you get DmC. Which was "They Live" but "edgy".

Uh, no thanks. Ninja Theory are doing just as fine telling stories.

Ew, God No. ND actually understand how to design good-looking male and female characters. And oh, their gameplay also 10 x more interesting. There's a good reason why Sony ditched NT like a dirty rag after that game with the red-hair sword-carrying girl.

Didn't one of their senior devs leave to go work on TLoU? Poor gameplay aside, come on guys they're not that bad. Their character designs, environmental art and cutscenes are some of the best in the third party sector.

Village

Slap a white wig

Generic pretty boy with squinty eyes, chiseled chin and straight noses. Capcom and Square Enix make a living cranking these out.

heh

Eh still would argue better design than Dino. But it does not matter, because MY dante is far more masculine than both of your dante's/

f0R6D0s.jpg

Top Bottom