• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Log4Girlz

If this is a true 3d display and perhaps with some head tracking to instantly change perspective...and gamecube/wii level graphics.. I can't see how this will NOT be my primary gaming platform.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
DrGAKMAN said:
Nintendo will likely go with the same NDS cart form factor (for backwards compatibility), only instead of using just flash storage they'll use holo storage for newer 3D games that will require higher capacities.

Next-Gen DS Card Patent

I had once thought that this would be for a universal format (that would also play in the next home console), but this 3DS really has thrown me...Nintendo seems to want to further wedge the difference between console & portable and keep them seperate lines. It would be very unlikely that their next home console would require 3D (go buy a new 3D TV or apply a goofy screen over your current one) just for some type of universal approach to both handhelds & home home consoles like I had once thought. This really could mean ANYTHING for the next Wii...possibly even holographic projection...or maybe they can possition the current (or future model) Wii as the at-home hub/network for their mobile gaming world domination plans with the next DS?

I have a theory that 3D isn't all that the next DS will be about, it's just what they're telling us (and the competition) for the time being in order to throw us all off even further when it's unveiled.
Feed us more of your theories. We am interest.

Fusebox

Banned
Somnid said:
Do people just forget the VB exists?

True, true.... but to be fair, the old VB isn't exactly proof that full-color modern 2D art can be displayed in convincing 3D without special glasses.

Deku

Banned
brain_stew said:
Yes of course.

I thought that ice climber stage twitching 3D animated gif was quite impressive for being a shoe-horned 2-D image

I'd imagine a lot of 2.5D games being something like that, with really cool parallax effects or at least foreground images like snow and weather particles.

IceClimber3D.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Clearly the 3DS will herald the glorious return of MOTHER.

Deku said:
I thought that ice climber stage twitching 3D animated gif was quite impressive for being a shoe-horned 2-D image

I'd imagine a lot of 2.5D games being something like that, with really cool parallax effects or at least foreground images like snow and weather particles.

IceClimber3D.gif
It's kind of impressive, but to my eye it looks flawed. The little white orbs are supposed to be in the far foreground, but because elements in the far background are moving at the same rate rather than independently, it looks like the characters are independent and just sorted in front of everything. They don't look like they're in the scene.

Deku

Banned
AndoCalrissian said:
It's kind of impressive, but to my eye it looks flawed. The little white orbs are supposed to be in the far foreground, but because elements in the far background are moving at the same rate rather than independently, it looks like the characters are independent and just sorted in front of everything. They don't look like they're in the scene.

yea, the effect is more like looking through a dirty plateglass into something happening inside, but i think the 'gimmick' of depth is going to be a huge selling point for them to the regular user.

just imagine the 3DS gui taking advantage of that.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Krev said:
Crazy and unfeasible as it may be, I'd been thinking the same thing, especially with how the DS and Wii were linked in design philosophy.

And, there's Miyamoto's 2005 response to the question "In the future, what do you think video games will be like?"...

Yes! I will super excited about playing videogames again if this happens.

Apath

Deku said:
yea, the effect is more like looking through a dirty plateglass into something happening inside, but i think the 'gimmick' of depth is going to be a huge selling point for them to the regular user.

just imagine the 3DS gui taking advantage of that.
That's actually a fantastic concept. Metroid Prime 3DS where the HUD literally feels like you're inside a helmet.

And for that pic to work better, the far background needs to move independently from the ice platforms and ice climbers as well.

Deku

Banned
Kenak said:
That's actually a fantastic concept. Metroid Prime 3DS where the HUD literally feels like you're inside a helmet.

And for that pic to work better, the far background needs to move independently from the ice platforms and ice climbers as well.

i've said a few times that the lazy implementation of this, which I assume most shovelware/ubi/movie games will do is have stereo 3D GUI that looks really cool when you first see it.

the games themselves will just be run normally with maybe the odd element that looks like its in stereo.

Apath

Deku said:
i've said a few times that the lazy implementation of this, which I assume most shovelware/ubi/movie games will do is have stereo 3D GUI that looks really cool when you first see it.

the games themselves will just be run normally with maybe the odd element that looks like its in stereo.
I know, I just saw you two discussing problems with the effect so I thought I'd chime in :D

silverbullet1080 said:
Gamefreak insider gave me some good info; 3D powered by tilt sensor is confirmed, it sounds cool but needs calibration every time it's turned on. :lol
Uhh... as opposed to stereoscopic 3D, or in conjunction with stereoscopic 3D? Tilting the machine for a pseudo 3D experience is not the same as full-blown 3D.

I want answers!

HAL_Laboratory said:
Uhh... as opposed to stereoscopic 3D, or in conjunction with stereoscopic 3D? Tilting the machine for a pseudo 3D experience is not the same as full-blown 3D.

I want answers!
No, really?

fake edit- oh snap :lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
silverbullet1080 said:
Gamefreak insider gave me some good info; 3D powered by tilt sensor is confirmed, it sounds cool but needs calibration every time it's turned on. :lol

If true, this wouldn't be that tedious to implement. Just something like a "press start now to begin sequence".

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
silverbullet1080 said:

If the last part is true then that would turn people off like how people wouldn't buy a PSP because of the load times unless calibration only took a couple of seconds.

Delio

silverbullet1080 said:

Meh if that's it whats the point :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom